Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i thought it would be a rehash of the star strek: star trek review since mike initially said he loved it, and he doesn't say he loves anything. glad they went into another direction but he probably could have spent less time on the ring theory. i wonder if that was supposed to be some sort of mini plinkett review in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because they humanized the Storm Troopers. One took his helmet off and became a character. One died smearing blood on his friend's face. Even the way that one Storm Trooper said "traitor" had more emotion than you saw from any Storm Trooper in the first trilogy.

in the first movie there were a couple storm troopers on the death star just standing around and having idle chat. that seemed more human than the vengeful kung fu expert storm trooper who was there just for a fight.

that's the only example i got though.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

now if you want to see something really embarrassing, check out the last few pages of CD.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i wonder how many of those cd posters were actually old enough to remember the movies and how normal people reacted to them at the time.

referring to the phantom menace -- i was a teenager so i remember well enough that most people liked the special effects because all that cgi was still novel at the time, and people might have thought that it was good because it was star wars, but other than that no one thought it was a particularly good movie overall. i recall the general sentiment at the time among fans was that it was easily the worst star wars movie ever made and your average non star wars fan might have thought it was "not that bad" at best and "stupid" at worst. keep in mind that back then that a significant number of young people had never seen star wars. along with star trek, it was perceived as dumb poo poo for nerds by a lot of people. if you advertised yourself as a star wars fan in school, you probably got made fun of for it. star wars was nowhere near as ubiquitous as it is today, despite all the books and video games and poo poo you still had then.

the other two movies basically went under my radar because i was in college by then and i had other priorities. the main thing i remember is people thought revenge of the sith was better than the previous two. i do specifically remember the initial reaction on these forums being generally if not overwhelmingly positive, which in retrospect goes to show you how bad everyone thought the first two were by then.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Lil Peeler posted:

Really? When was this,what happened? Also good job idiots.

It was because the red tails review caused a 50 page discussion where all the gbs race scholars weighed in on how horrible they were for critiquing a movie with blacks

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Good news, Warwick Davis is going to be in episode 8!! http://comicbook.com/2016/10/04/warwick-davis-will-appear-in-star-wars-episode-viii/

but whyyyyy

edit lol

quote:

Davis returned in The Phantom Menace to play Weasel and Wald. The actor also starred as a lead in a 1988 film titled Willow which was scripted by George Lucas.

Last year, Davis starred in The Force Awakens as an alien called Wollivan in Maz Kanata’s cantina.

unforgettable roles to be sure

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 5, 2016

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Clawtopsy posted:

gotta put somebody in r2d2

i hope he reprises his role from jedi except he's an x-wing pilot

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ungh yeah i just want to pound jay while mike pounds me and rich watches

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Despite seeing Robocop 1 and 2 well before Starship Troopers, it's the first movie that I ever recall disturbing me with graphic over the top violence. I think it's because I didn't expect it at all and it starts right of the bat with a guy getting bitten in half.

I still liked it.

Also, I forget where I heard this, but didn't test audiences react negatively to Denise Richards' character for leaving Johnny and getting with the other guy, so they actually trimmed out most of the romance and leave their relationship at least somewhat ambiguous? i.e., they almost kiss but don't and then they're just kind of portrayed as a team. Anyway, I still didn't like her character, but I think that's because while everyone else is eating poo poo and experiencing the horrors that surround them, she's just flying spaceships and being happy.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Rico and Dizzy thing was weird. He won't even touch her until Michael Ironsides basically ordered him to gently caress her.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The weirdest thing from the book (which I didn't read) that seemingly got left in the movie was a part where one of the spiders actually rapes a female soldier and then in the movie we see the girl who wants to get pregnant dragged off to a hole in the ground but not murdered for some reason by one of the spiders.

That and everything else I've heard about Heinlen definitely makes me sure he's some kind of sex pervert. I did try reading Stranger in a Strange Land but I just couldn't get into it at all, which is too bad because most my friends think it's a great novel.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

starkebn posted:

While Heinlein is definitely a sex pervert* this never happened in the book

*not that there's anything wrong with that if it's not kids

Huh. I wonder where the gently caress I got this from. Probably something someone else in GBS posted once.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the more i read about the book the more i kind of want to read the stupid thing, but based on my experience of heinlen, all the interesting stuff is probably like one sentence buried within 30 pages describing how a space pencil works

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Wrageowrapper posted:

I had no idea there were two Starship sequels much in the same way I had no idea there were like three Scanners sequels. I'm guessing they were never big movies.

They were direct to video and awful

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

great directors in comic book movies are lost on me because i never liked comic books and i can't get into that stuff enough to take it seriously, and yet i too am a wrestling fan (no vinyl).

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Womyn Capote posted:

This is also why I really like the movie "Master and Commander"

Jack Aubrey hates a woman on board, although in Far Side of the World, Hollum's character is way more interesting because he is having an affair with the gunner's wife which leads to an abortion by Mr. Higgins, a series of murders, and the eventual suicide of the gunner.

Oh and interestingly enough, there's a part where Jack and Stephen end up overboard and are rescued by some Polynesian women who apparently rebelled against the men in their society and want to chop Jack's balls off.

Of course the movie is actually based on several of the novels and in Far Side of the World in particular there isn't a single sea battle.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 20, 2017

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Josh played the character of the fat retard who tries to fix a toilet in feeding frenzy

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

my favorite part in rent is where the filmmaker artist is filming a homeless black woman and she was just like "gently caress you for filming me you loving artist."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ScrubLeague posted:

La La Land is an incredibly good story about white people struggling to remain middle class before becoming rich.

can't possibly be worse than rent

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if he's really a wizard how come he never casts any spells

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

holy poo poo that means he's a klan wizard

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

is there a such thing as a hoagie wizard

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

at his age josh should be trying to bang hot milfs, not hang out with "totally cute geeky chicks" who probably aren't even into face loving

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Just going to assume logh stands for legend of golden hitler

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i just looked up the wikipedia for that new power rangers movie and the plot sounds dumb as poo poo and specifically mentions the krispy kreme as playing a key role in the story, but the funniest part was this:

quote:

Dacre Montgomery as Jason Scott / Red Ranger, the leader of the Power Rangers.[5]
Naomi Scott as Kimberly Hart / Pink Ranger, a Power Ranger and Jason's love interest.[6]
RJ Cyler as Billy Cranston / Blue Ranger, a Power Ranger who is autistic.[7][4]
Becky G as Trini / Yellow Ranger, a Power Ranger who is queer.[8][4]
Ludi Lin as Zack / Black Ranger, a Power Ranger who is bilingual.[9][10]

so you got the guy and the girl who want to gently caress, then the queer ... and then the autistic and ... the bilingual one?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

they took the smart one who was just learning martial arts in the show and made him the autistic one lol

"alpha, get me some teens with attitude. make sure two are straight and into each other, one is gay, make sure one has autism...uh, and get me one that speaks two languages."

the green ranger better have both male and female genitalia

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Did they really make a whole movie about him getting bit by a radioactive spider?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Spiderman fought in the civil war?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

batgirl had a pretty good origin story in batman and robin. i also liked bane's.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if rey is luke's daughter or something then that doesn't really make a lot of sense. same thing goes for leia and han. like, why would you abandon her, you assholes? afraid she is going to become a dark jedi? well then try to raise her not to be a sith lord or don't teach her the force or whatever. who knows what will happen if you just ditch her.

i mean luke and leia were split up because their mother died and her dad would have killed her or made her evil, but they were still placed with people who could take care of them and not just abandoned.

anyway i hope they don't decide to go in that direction, because it's stupid. although the idea that luke, leia, and han would be really lovely parents also makes sense from a story point of view, i guess.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

also i imagine that luke saying there should be no more jedi comes before he decides to train rey, otherwise what are you doing training her you dumb rear end in a top hat?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

yeah just train her enough that she can use the force and her lighsaber to murder people and then expel her from his rock in the ocean and hope everything turns out fine. i'm sure the phds over in CD have entire dissertations written about how this all makes sense.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

isn't rey too young to be obi wan's daughter? unless they froze his jedi jizz? i guess he could be a grand daughter but that would probably still mean they froze his jizz because that fucker ain't loving.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i want a hospital drama spinoff of the emperor palpatine surgical reconstruction center

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i never watched the clone wars because i don't want star wars cartoons, except for the original boba fett one

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

let's beat this yug guy up and suck his dick while he cries

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the only thing people seem to not like about rotj is ewoks, but they never really bothered me much. so what if they're teddy bears? the point was them beating the empire was like a little bighorn type thing except with a happy ending for the indians assuming the imperial remnant didn't return to the planet eventually and bomb it from orbit out of spite. i know i would have.

although i wonder if at the time of writing return of the jedi, before all the books and games and poo poo, the imperial fleet at endor was supposed to be like, basically the whole imperial fleet.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

aliens is on par with starship troopers, but i would give starship troopers the edge because of satire and having more of a sense of humor. still both fun and good movies, though.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

return of the jedi is fine you dumb jerks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i liked judge dredd with stallone and rob schneider. it was a good movie for its time and doesn't get enough credit.

i also liked tank girl.

• Locked thread