Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I don't even know who I am now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

glowing-fish posted:

You've had it since 1976?
What is the story behind this?

In September of 1976, the country was still flush with the celebration of the Bicentennial, excitement was in the air, and a young man, not yet known as Genesplicer, was heading off to his first year of high school, in an historic village outside of Boston, Massachusetts. Initially, I had signed up, as any self-respecting nerd would, for the a/v club. This involved video production of our daily announcement show. (The host of the show was a senior named John Rennie, who would later go on to become the Editor-in-chief of "Scientific American" Magazine.) The teacher who was in charge of the A/V group was also in charge of the computer club.

When he found out that I had actually used a computer (My dad and I built a Heathkit computer over the summer) He encouraged me to transfer from A/V to computers. The only problem was the fact that the school did not actually have any computers. What we did have was a teletype unit and a suitcase-sized modem. With this, we could contact various colleges in the area, including MIT.

Our job on the "computer" was to dial into MIT's mainframe, and access their file on colleges. With this we assisted seniors in locating colleges that had the classes and majors that they were interested in. We accessed all this by entering in a series of numerical codes. One day, when nothing was going on, I started entering random numeric codes, just to see what else the computer could do. Most of the codes proved useless, or were password protected. Finally, I came across a master list of all the codes and what they did. Using this, and guessing a password, I was able to access several locations in the mainframe where students and professors could share ideas, much like a BBS, and also a proto-email system.

At this time, my biology teacher required us to do a report on some biological topic. I chose the then new field of genetic engineering. (Remember, this was 1976, and the first genetic recombinations were done in 1973.) I used my (Illegal) access to ask several grad students about their work in this field. They were a bit confused as to my identity. I explained the situation and they informed me that what I was doing was technically illegal, but that they would talk to the guy in charge and see what they could do for me.

I was given limited access in exchange for my promise not to do any more cracking of thier system. This allowed me to gather information for my report. Since the good people at MIT have a sense of humor, they gave me the access name of "Genesplicer" (Actually, it was gensplcr, because the name field was limited to 8 characters). With this I was able to access part of the MIT computer system, including something called the ARPANET, which allowed me to contact people at other colleges that were involved in genetic engineering.

Not only did I get a great username, I got an A on my report.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 28, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm through page 20.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

genesplicer posted:

That's crazy the same thing happened to me but they told me genesplicer was already taken so they named me dialadog instead

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

genesplicer posted:

My username is also how I got an A on my report card.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I was Facebook Aunt. This is probably an improvement.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Winners: George H W oval office, really queer christmas, no mom very hungry, black labia in my face, Toys For Twats, Plump and ready, work the balls sally, Burger King Bathroom

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 28, 2016

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
look at my cool name

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

im gay posted:

look at my cool name

hell, same

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'm Radical. Also BADical. Emphasis on the bad. Like horrible...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

some guy on the bus posted:

Winners: George H W oval office, really queer christmas, no mom very hungry, black labia in my face, Toys For Twats, Plump and ready, work the balls sally, Burger King Bathroom
Sadly, I gave someone Enola Gay-For-Pay a couple days before the thread, which was probably my favorite.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I never posted in gbs before so you don't remember me.

I like my new name tho, even tho my old one was p cool too

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

genesplicer posted:

In September of 1976, the country was still flush with the celebration of the Bicentennial, excitement was in the air, and a young man, not yet known as Genesplicer, was heading off to his first year of high school, in an historic village outside of Boston, Massachusetts. Initially, I had signed up, as any self-respecting nerd would, for the a/v club. This involved video production of our daily announcement show. (The host of the show was a senior named John Rennie, who would later go on to become the Editor-in-chief of "Scientific American" Magazine.) The teacher who was in charge of the A/V group was also in charge of the computer club.

When he found out that I had actually used a computer (My dad and I built a Heathkit computer over the summer) He encouraged me to transfer from A/V to computers. The only problem was the fact that the school did not actually have any computers. What we did have was a teletype unit and a suitcase-sized modem. With this, we could contact various colleges in the area, including MIT.

Our job on the "computer" was to dial into MIT's mainframe, and access their file on colleges. With this we assisted seniors in locating colleges that had the classes and majors that they were interested in. We accessed all this by entering in a series of numerical codes. One day, when nothing was going on, I started entering random numeric codes, just to see what else the computer could do. Most of the codes proved useless, or were password protected. Finally, I came across a master list of all the codes and what they did. Using this, and guessing a password, I was able to access several locations in the mainframe where students and professors could share ideas, much like a BBS, and also a proto-email system.

At this time, my biology teacher required us to do a report on some biological topic. I chose the then new field of genetic engineering. (Remember, this was 1976, and the first genetic recombinations were done in 1973.) I used my (Illegal) access to ask several grad students about their work in this field. They were a bit confused as to my identity. I explained the situation and they informed me that what I was doing was technically illegal, but that they would talk to the guy in charge and see what they could do for me.

I was given limited access in exchange for my promise not to do any more cracking of thier system. This allowed me to gather information for my report. Since the good people at MIT have a sense of humor, they gave me the access name of "Genesplicer" (Actually, it was gensplcr, because the name field was limited to 8 characters). With this I was able to access part of the MIT computer system, including something called the ARPANET, which allowed me to contact people at other colleges that were involved in genetic engineering.

You have this story in a txt file to c/p don't you?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

You have this story in a txt file to c/p don't you?
He's a teacher. You think he's afraid of tedious bullshit?

punk crock pot
Nov 4, 2009
I was a nobody before, maybe now I can be a cool kid.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Fish and Chimps posted:

I never posted in gbs before so you don't remember me.

I like my new name tho, even tho my old one was p cool too

I will remember you always, Fish and Chimps.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I would like to change my name to "Buttchug Backwash" but I'm too lazy.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

How are you coming up will all of these hundreds of names its amazing

I love my new name

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pussy Quipped posted:

How are you coming up will all of these hundreds of names its amazing

I love my new name
I just make them up.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Hey FAU, do you have some sort of batch script to automate this or are you doing them by hand?

ps thanks i guess

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The annoying part is having to change HTML in avatars to BBCode because Radium.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Hey FAU, do you have some sort of batch script to automate this or are you doing them by hand?

ps thanks i guess
Manually through the admin panel. I don't code at all.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Oraculum Animi has become do u believe in marigolds. I approve and thank the higher ups for the fresh new duds.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The gimmick was that I posted 32 words and then died mid-sentence.

I'm sorry I'll leave quietly.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

if i got a new name thatd be the second time an admin gave me a new name just for asking

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i used to be a good poster

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
So should I log out and back in with my new username? I'm still logged in under my old UN; just wondering if there's a time limit to do so.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I guess I'm a plebian parasite now.

I guess i kinda was one before.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

cocks out for lockout posted:

this name is really bad

No it's great for Halo 2

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Kuato posted:

Looks like you was Kuato too from your AV. How many gosh dang Kuato's have been running around this place.

i used to be a kuato...

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

There are some who call me... Komrade Hitlerstalin.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
My previous name was mod given and was an anagram of a Pokemon and I think this one is too

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You're dad gay, son

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

punk crock pot posted:

I was a nobody before, maybe now I can be a cool kid.

Lmao this name and new phone who dis

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
test driving my new gender

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i used to be King REoL

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I went to log in and didn't know what my name was. I love it.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I didn't realize my old name had been changed so fast and when I saw "obviously i hosed it's Private Messages" at the top, I thought, "What the gently caress is up with my faggotchimp of an account now?"

Also, I went to reddit for a while when GBS was away. I guess a lot of the internet likes to say "Harambe"?

Anyhow, I love my new name and missed the company of goons.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

GBS also likes to say harambe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
wait what

• Locked thread