Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Cats are animated by hubris and if you like them its only because of :toxo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I built a fort around my cat so she doesn't get pissed when the pointy cat comes around

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Zombiepop posted:

Very nice thread guys n gals. My cat is old, lives with my parents and will probably die in a couple of years. I miss him a lot. Im thinking bout getting another cat, but I live in a apartment,
Is it cruel or not to have an indoor cat? How will it effect the cat?

My cat is an indoor cat, but he is an idiot cat and is scared of the outside

I adopted him from a shelter when he was 18 months old and he'd been locked up in someone's house and was half starved to death. They think he'd never been allowed outside.

When I tried to carry him outside he freaked the gently caress out and clawed the poo poo out of me fighting to get back into the house, where he sat in the doorway and stared in horror at the world.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Sounds hosed up, but you never know what shelter cats have been thru.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Zombiepop posted:

Sounds hosed up, but you never know what shelter cats have been thru.

At least he's a happy cat now :unsmith:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

my family took our cat to japan when we moved there and we used to let my cat walk along the balconies in the apartment building like 10 stories up. One day she came back and some random japanese person had affixed a small ornament to her collar.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
My good cat. If she isn't napping, she's either eating or moving to a new place to nap.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Caesar Saladin posted:

Hey I'm Lola I'm a straight high roller
ain't about cash, I'm all about cashola

Birmans are the best cats, I've decided. They are snuggly and chill as gently caress. Soon as I get another cat, it'll be one of them.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jaunty Monty Ping posted:

Birmans are the best cats, I've decided. They are snuggly and chill as gently caress. Soon as I get another cat, it'll be one of them.

She's actually a ragdoll. She looks close to a birman but she's got white little socks on her feet and is a real floppy bastard. Ragdolls are definitely chill and good cats, I can wrestle with her and she attacks my hand viciously without any claws and nips at my hand so softly while spazzing the gently caress out.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Jaunty Monty Ping posted:

Pet racists are the worst.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

We have two cats. They're little loving idiots.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
indoor cats don't need much horizontal space if you provide vertical space, but they need more stimulation. going outside to murder the local bird population provides a lot of entertainment for cats, so you have to play with them often and provide toys as a substitute. a second cat might work, but some cats just don't get along with each other so it isn't a universal solution.

bored cats are frequently destructive and neurotic, though given that we are talking about cats that is a relative statement.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

a second cat might work, but some cats just don't get along with each other so it isn't a universal solution.

Yeah i think my cats are enemies for life. The big older one just looks at the fluffy one and gets pissed off at her for existing or something.

brotato
May 14, 2013

Donut sits on my pillow, wishes to give me pink eye.

Bagel sits on my desk, makes weird honk noises.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Wasn't cat scratch fever recently learned to be an incredibly high risk of passing than previously thought, especially to small and young children from just hugging or kissing your cats?

A clear point in the dog column. :smugdog:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Our female cat hangs with our puppy sometimes. The male cat hates him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Wasn't cat scratch fever recently learned to be an incredibly high risk of passing than previously thought, especially to small and young children from just hugging or kissing your cats?

that's a very basic and easily treated bacterial infection. there are potential complications, but that is true of all bacterial infections.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

FedEx Mercury posted:

Pet racists are the worst.

Idk man every Russian blue I've encountered has been an extremely awesome cat, I think there's something to cat racism

my cat is an rear end in a top hat, here she is taking over our great pyrenee's dog bed because there was some sun shining on it

she gets her comeuppance by being a klutz that constantly rolls off of things while sleeping

brotato
May 14, 2013

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I think if you keep your cat indoors and make sure they don't get fleas, they won't have the bacteria to transmit? Regardless it's treatable and you should always thoroughly wash any scratches you get from a cat.

Dogs are ok too but they're not as soft as cats. There's no reason to argue which is better since they serve different purposes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zombiepop posted:

Very nice thread guys n gals. My cat is old, lives with my parents and will probably die in a couple of years. I miss him a lot. Im thinking bout getting another cat, but I live in a apartment,
Is it cruel or not to have an indoor cat? How will it effect the cat?

It's not cruel to keep cats inside. If it started out as an outdoor cat and you move it into an apartment, that would really suck. If all the cat has known is apartment life, it would be fine. All you have to do is make sure it isn't getting bored and going nuts.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

outside cats should be illegal because they are an environmental catastrophe and birds are much cooler than cats

all pet cats should be declawed by law so if their owners are irresponsible idiots and let them outside they cant kill anything

my wheelhouse
Nov 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

NeurofiBROma posted:

outside cats should be illegal because they are an environmental catastrophe and birds are much cooler than cats

all pet cats should be declawed by law so if their owners are irresponsible idiots and let them outside they cant kill anything

Your hands should be cut off by law so when you're on the internet, you can't post anything.

brotato
May 14, 2013

NeurofiBROma posted:

No ): declawing a cat cuts off the first knuckle of each toe. It is inhumane and bad.

Instead, teach your cat to scratch appropriate items (eg. A scratching post or toy) and keep them indoors.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Keeping an indoor cat is a crime against cathood. It's not an animal that is meant to be confined. If you can't provide a pet door with free access then don't get a cat.

brotato
May 14, 2013

FedEx Mercury posted:

Keeping an indoor cat is a crime against cathood. It's not an animal that is meant to be confined. If you can't provide a pet door with free access then don't get a cat.
This is a wrong opinion. I am sorry you wish your kitty would get hit by a car or eaten by a wild animal; you should give it away to someone nice.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

FedEx Mercury posted:

this is true if you live in the middle eastern/north african desert where cats are not an invasive pest species

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

brotato
May 14, 2013
Look at those cute fluffy ears. Give that cat a pat.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I give my cat free access to the outdoors through a cat door. Unfortunately this also gives the neighbor's cat free access to my indoors so I'll occasionally have to shoo a cat out of my house that dropped in to grab a snack in the middle of the night. There's probably a solution to this that still lets my cat out, but I'm too lazy to find it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I let my cat outside for hours at a time and she stays within the walled garden area, never wants to leaves the property and has only caught one dumb pigeon

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

brotato posted:

This is a wrong opinion. I am sorry you wish your kitty would get hit by a car or eaten by a wild animal; you should give it away to someone nice.

Well I'm sorry you're a neurotic paranoid cat owner. I bet you'd make your kids wear helmets and knee pads too.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
My house has three cats. Two of them are mine, one is my roommates.

Here we have DB Cooper. Acquired shortly before the FBI closed his case file, he misses the huge amount of money he spent turning into a cat to evade the police:

This is Sir Thompson, my roommate's cat. Sir Thompson is the most witholding cat I have ever met. He's also a dumbass and stupid, but is extremely roll-able.

And here we have Vaelastrasz the Corrupt. Known mostly for hiding under beds, behind washing machines, and running at the first sign of movement, danger, or housefans, he is a tiny angel, incapable of even the slightest wrong. He also hates vacuums.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Outside cats live on average 2-5 years before dying horribly to disease or cars or other animals compared to like 15-20 years for indoor cats. It's not even a question, letting your cat roam around outside is basically animal cruelty.

If you have to let them outside get them on a harness and take them on supervised walks. Sorry I know it's easier to let them run around all day while you chill inside and do whatever but if your free time is more important than your pet living more than literally one eighth of its life before being gruesomely slaughtered maybe don't have a pet.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My cat had a dumb name when I stole him from my old job (long story) but it was dumb and so I stopped using it. I just referred to him as "cat" since I figured he'd be ignoring me all the time anyway. Now he responds to just "cat" and actually comes when I call him, so joke's on me I guess!

he does not like sweatshirts

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Outside cats live on average 2-5 years before dying horribly to disease or cars or other animals compared to like 15-20 years for indoor cats. It's not even a question, letting your cat roam around outside is basically animal cruelty.

If you have to let them outside get them on a harness and take them on supervised walks. Sorry I know it's easier to let them run around all day while you chill inside and do whatever but if your free time is more important than your pet living more than literally one eighth of its life before being gruesomely slaughtered maybe don't have a pet.

My first cat lived to be 17. He was shot, run over by a car, bit by a copperhead, got into countless fights, went to jail two times, and who knows what else.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Here's me fat shaming my wife's cat also

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Code Jockey posted:

Here's me fat shaming my wife's cat also

Good work. Putting stupid hats on fat cats is a good policy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cojawfee posted:

My first cat lived to be 17. He was shot, run over by a car, bit by a copperhead, got into countless fights, went to jail two times, and who knows what else.

When I was a kid we had one of these Rasputin cats. He would come home with literal holes in his head and throat. My parents would put some peroxide on it and once it healed up it was back outside on the street. Now as an adult I can't help but think, yeah he was tough as balls and didn't die from these wounds but probably he would have led a happier life if we'd kept him from getting his neck tore up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

purple death ray posted:

What are you talking about my family has had 5 outdoor cats and only 3 disappeared mysteriously in 2 years or less.

• Locked thread