Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

purple death ray posted:

Outside cats live on average 2-5 years before dying horribly to disease or cars or other animals compared to like 15-20 years for indoor cats. It's not even a question, letting your cat roam around outside is basically animal cruelty.

If you have to let them outside get them on a harness and take them on supervised walks. Sorry I know it's easier to let them run around all day while you chill inside and do whatever but if your free time is more important than your pet living more than literally one eighth of its life before being gruesomely slaughtered maybe don't have a pet.

Jesse Christ some of you people are the worst

Anyways to contribute here's my cat being a ham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

FedEx Mercury posted:

Jesse Christ some of you people are the worst

Anyways to contribute here's my cat being a ham

that cat is indeed a ham.

submit to the will of cat
(click 4 big)

brotato
May 14, 2013

FedEx Mercury posted:

Well I'm sorry you're a neurotic paranoid cat owner. I bet you'd make your kids wear helmets and knee pads too.
Lmao of course I'd my make my kids wear helmets, wouldn't want em to turn out like you.

This cat is perfect.

brotato fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 28, 2016

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

brotato posted:

Donut sits on my pillow, wishes to give me pink eye.

My god

quote:

Bagel sits on my desk, makes weird honk noises.

MY GOD

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

purple death ray posted:

Outside cats live on average 2-5 years before dying horribly to disease or cars or other animals compared to like 15-20 years for indoor cats. It's not even a question, letting your cat roam around outside is basically animal cruelty.

If you have to let them outside get them on a harness and take them on supervised walks. Sorry I know it's easier to let them run around all day while you chill inside and do whatever but if your free time is more important than your pet living more than literally one eighth of its life before being gruesomely slaughtered maybe don't have a pet.

my outdoor cat lived to be 20 and seemed to really enjoy living life with some modicum of free will. if people want to keep their cat indoors that's fine but please don't keep up this holier than thou attitude that only you are a good pet owner and only you really care about your pets.

:shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you using this shirt?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Luvcow posted:

my outdoor cat lived to be 20 and seemed to really enjoy living life with some modicum of free will. if people want to keep their cat indoors that's fine but please don't keep up this holier than thou attitude that only you are a good pet owner and only you really care about your pets.

:shrug:

On the contrary its my hope that the love you feel for your kitties will cause you to reconsider letting them outside. Everyone can pull out an anecdote about this particular cat they knew that ran around the neighborhood all day and nothing bad ever happened to it but there's also people talking about hiding inside and shooting at cats with bb guns. The odds are not in your cats favor and I don't think it's worth the risk. I'm sure cats love being outside. My cat would love to eat tuna until he dies of mercury poisoning but as the sentient one in the relationship I have to say no, you can't do this thing. It is fun but it's going to hurt you.

Just think about it is all.

E:sorry about all the words, I'm at work now but I'll post a bunch of cat pics when I get home tonight promise

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 28, 2016

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

purple death ray posted:

On the contrary its my hope that the love you feel for your kitties will cause you to reconsider letting them outside. Everyone can pull out an anecdote about this particular cat they knew that ran around the neighborhood all day and nothing bad ever happened to it but there's also people talking about hiding inside and shooting at cats with bb guns. The odds are not in your cats favor and I don't think it's worth the risk. I'm sure cats love being outside. My cat would love to eat tuna until he dies of mercury poisoning but as the sentient one in the relationship I have to say no, you can't do this thing. It is fun but it's going to hurt you.

Just think about it is all.

understood, i disagree but i believe we both agree that cats are good animals and pets

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Cats kill lots of birds and breed a lot so I would rather they stay inside and stop killing local birbs and becoming pests that disrupt the local wildlife

Neutered indoor cats are cool tho

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
imo you're a terrible human bean if you refuse to let your cat outside, its cruel.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

a bone to pick posted:

imo you're a terrible human bean if you refuse to let your cat outside, its cruel.

my cats are terrified of the outdoors though, just like me

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

i had a cat like that once

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Here's what I imagine that cat is thinking "durrr hurrrrrrr I'm a big piece of idiot turd who sleeps on he own neck"

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

That's fine, my cat right now won't go further than 10ft from my house.

Some people in this thread though, I imagine their cat clawing at the door and giving their owner a sad-eyed meow and the owner yelling, "NO!! You'll destroy the bird population if I let you out!!"

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
My cat only ever chills out in the backyard or on the front porch so I've never felt too bad about letting her go in and out as she pleases.

brotato
May 14, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Are you using this shirt?

What a considerate cat, warming up your shirt for you.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FedEx Mercury posted:

Here's what I imagine that cat is thinking "durrr hurrrrrrr I'm a big piece of idiot turd who sleeps on he own neck"

she actually is disabled lol

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Zombiepop posted:

Very nice thread guys n gals. My cat is old, lives with my parents and will probably die in a couple of years. I miss him a lot. Im thinking bout getting another cat, but I live in a apartment,
Is it cruel or not to have an indoor cat? How will it effect the cat?

They just need enough playtime every day otherwise it's fine. Honestly it's better for them to be indoors anyway. Better for the local wildlife as well.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

That's fine, my cat right now won't go further than 10ft from my house.

Some people in this thread though, I imagine their cat clawing at the door and giving their owner a sad-eyed meow and the owner yelling, "NO!! You'll destroy the bird population if I let you out!!"

Birbs are sacred

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if you get a kitten they usually acclimate well to indoor only life

but the pro move would be to look in a local shelter for an older cat that would otherwise go unadopted

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

VikingSkull posted:

but the pro move would be to look in a local shelter for an older cat that would otherwise go unadopted

I got a 4-5 yr old at a shelter and he's the sweetest cat!

Runs to the door when I get home as soon as he hears the keys jingle and meows until I get in and pet him. He seems to have no interest in the outside; if the door is open he won't run for it (he'll just sit there) and I took him out once on a leash thing and he just kept trying to get back to the apartment.

\/\/\/ :(

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
My cat died a couple weeks ago and it's still an adjustment process getting used to yawning without having him race across the room to shove his face in my mouth before it closes :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's what we did. My cat is 2-3 years old. We picked her up at Petsmart a few weeks ago. They had cats from the humane society or whatever.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

garfield hentai posted:

My cat died a couple weeks ago and it's still an adjustment process getting used to yawning without having him race across the room to shove his face in my mouth before it closes :(

Sorry to hear that. We have a cat death thread in BYOB for sharing and caring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

garfield hentai posted:

That sucks. My last cat died the day after this past Christmas. She had mouth cancer but she was 15 and lived a long life. She started out as an inside cat but she started going out more and more. I don't know if she ever left the yard but she loved being outside.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
just don't do what I did and let a pregnant stray in because then you get a bunch of kittens and you have to give some away and that's sad and you keep one or two and then you have three gutter trash rear end in a top hat cats instead of just one

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
bag with a stone tied to it works as well as it ever did

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

garfield hentai posted:

My goondolences to your cat but your username makes me wonder what you did with it...

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
I love cats. I mean, I love all animals including dogs, but cats are just awesome pets. It's fun when you get a couple in a house and watch them form a pride with a distinct hierarchy. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck with my parents for just a little while so actually having one myself is currently unpossible. However, I live vicariously through my girlfriend's, and we found a sweet little black kitten outside her house that we're slowly trying get fixed up (pun intended) and who will one day be "my cat". Here is a picture of Miles Edgeworth. Or just Miles. But look at the little white patch of ruffles he has on his chest. We just need to get him a magenta colored collar.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

How is this comfortable???

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Starman Super DX posted:

I love cats. I mean, I love all animals including dogs, but cats are just awesome pets. It's fun when you get a couple in a house and watch them form a pride with a distinct hierarchy. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck with my parents for just a little while so actually having one myself is currently unpossible. However, I live vicariously through my girlfriend's, and we found a sweet little black kitten outside her house that we're slowly trying get fixed up (pun intended) and who will one day be "my cat". Here is a picture of Miles Edgeworth. Or just Miles. But look at the little white patch of ruffles he has on his chest. We just need to get him a magenta colored collar.

that cat needs at least 3 more cravats to be worthy of that name (good cat/cat name though)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Slanderer posted:

Cat necks are a loving mystery, mine likes to rest his head on my arm rest while the rest of his neck is completely unsupported, I don't get it.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for all the info bout indoor cats, really want to get one now. My current one(my parents cat) has a cat door to the basement and seems fine with going in/out as he wish.
When he was younger he used to freak out and cuddle/scream/attack my GBA whenever I was playing pkmn with the sound on. That's really weird and extremly cute.
Now he just loves to send emails and play videogames.
I löve my cat. All cats best cats.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slanderer posted:

well in my cats case she does that because she has Cerebellar Hypoplasia which is kinda like Parkinson's in cats and results in the loss of fine motor control

so she lays her head on stuff when looking around if she can to steady her head

we named her Shakey

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pete and Teddy

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Slanderer posted:

It's not. That fucker's watching you.

I was told once that cats (or maybe it's only some cats?) view their owners as other, bigger, dumber cats that can't feed themselves. This is why they might occasionally bring over some dead thing and meow at you until you acknowledge that they caught it for your benefit.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
I really like it when they bring mice and birds, they are always so proud!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Pete and Teddy

i'm always jealous of people who have cats who cuddle + get along with one another

Zombiepop posted:

I really like it when they bring mice and birds, they are always so proud!

domestic cats killing birds is actually a huge problem that fucks with local ecosystems, one more reason to have indoor cats imo. birds are cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 31 Dipshit
Jan 14, 2010

My cat thinks she is a drat lion. Stupid cat.

• Locked thread