Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
well thats two cormac mccarthy works, i wonder, is all the pretty horses about pretty horses or are the pretty horses a backdrop to a series of grisly murders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

dookifex_maximus posted:

well thats two cormac mccarthy works, i wonder, is all the pretty horses about pretty horses or are the pretty horses a backdrop to a series of grisly murders

It's always grisly murders

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

!Klams posted:

I'm surprised no one's said "the road" yet, but maybe that's because when we watched it, my friend and I started singing over the end credits "everyone dies: the end!" Which became a refrain for whenever anything overly depressing happened.

Off topic, but all I can think of when The Road gets brought up is:

"Oh, man. This is HILARIOUS!"

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Labes for days posted:

Off topic, but all I can think of when The Road gets brought up is:

"Oh, man. This is HILARIOUS!"

Stone cold

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
cormac mccarthy has truly found the key to printing money

all you have to do is barely describe a series of excruciatingly painful events, some grisly murders, give it a catchy wistful title and watch the checks roll in.

punctuation: totally optional

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

BLARGHLE posted:

Yes, everything is hosed, and everyone dies in the end, but was kind of the point

The one thing I dislike about the road is the slight sliver of optimism with the kid meeting up with people immediately. I also disliked that the kid was the moral conscience, when a completely amoral and desperate world is all he has ever known, but i guess it was necessary for the theme.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cabin in the Woods.

My only compliant about the ending is that the Old God at the end was clearly just a giant human(hand) and not some tentacled monstrosity.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Moon Atari posted:

The one thing I dislike about the road is the slight sliver of optimism with the kid meeting up with people immediately. I also disliked that the kid was the moral conscience, when a completely amoral and desperate world is all he has ever known, but i guess it was necessary for the theme.

The sliver of optimism is tempered by the fact that his dad is dying.

He's constant;ly dying, and that's the one real constant through the entire story, he's drying, and he knows it, but he's trying to put together a less than utterly garbage life for his son

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Brazil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5vzNsT1FPc

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

BLARGHLE posted:

The sliver of optimism is tempered by the fact that his dad is dying.

He's constant;ly dying, and that's the one real constant through the entire story, he's drying, and he knows it, but he's trying to put together a less than utterly garbage life for his son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwq0mgvC1eY

And then he dies

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

and the real ending

https://youtu.be/BlHe-hYMkqk?t=87

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Requiem For a Dream everyone is still alive at the end and it's more depressing than if they'd died

Das Boot

The Thin Red Line

Not a movie but the Six Feet Under finale

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 28, 2016

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Keith Atherton posted:

Requiem For a Dream everyone is still alive at the end and it's more depressing than if they'd died

Das Boot

The Thin Red Line

Not a movie but the Six Feet Under finale

rear end to rear end.

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

Even though Terminator 3 was sort of bad, I liked that the nukes killed everyone at the end. The apocalypse was unavoidable and even though our 'heroes' survived, the population of earth largely didn't.

It's not really a sad ending though I guess. Not compared to the Mist or the Road or the Thing or the Wicker Man or various other films that begin with 'the'. (Even Das Boot's ending was pretty bleak.)

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

American History X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5wSSZmdFT8

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Memento

The ending i am referring to is left ambiguous because the movie implies he's stuck in a time loop

angular guitar
Nov 9, 2005
A Most Wanted Man has a crushing ending, standard for John le Carré, made even worse by the fact Philip Seymour Hoffman died after it was made.

Protagonist spymaster spends most of his time deflecting blinkered War On Terror hardliners from getting their hands on his Muslim asset. He spends years of his life setting up a perfect sting against international money laundering, which is ruined when his short-sighted rivals in the intelligence service send in a snatch squad of brutes to capture his man and send him to a black site for torture and indefinite detainment because Muslim = bad, and the film concludes with Hoffman screaming in impotent rage in the middle of the street.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Oculus, turns out if something has complete control over your perception of reality it can be a right bitch to beat up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

amityville anus posted:

Memento

The ending i am referring to is left ambiguous because the movie implies he's stuck in a time loop

No it doesn't? It implies he started the entire sequence we watched on purpose.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
The Pledge

in which Jack Nicholson uses his girlfriend's kid without her consent to try and catch a child serial killer that no one thinks exists. But whoops the killer dies in a car crash on the way to Jack's sting operation, everybody hates Jack, his girlfriend leaves and he ends up crazy.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Dire posted:

It's not really a sad ending though I guess. Not compared to the Mist or the Road or the Thing or the Wicker Man or various other films that begin with 'the'. (Even Das Boot's ending was pretty bleak.)

'Das' is also german for 'The'.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
These Final Hours on Netflix. Super loving depressing and it's basically a two hour unhappy ending.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

A Scanner Darkly

Undercover cop Keanu Reeves is manipulated into becoming an addict without his consent or knowing by his superiors in an attempt to infiltrate a rehab organization that is producing dangerous drugs. His life and mind are destroyed, the movie ends with him working in the rehab/labor camp that is producing the drugs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

"Kids"

Everyone gets AIDS.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

"I Saw the Devil" twists the knife a bit harder than most of the other Korean movies I've seen mentioned. I haven't seen the Chaser, though, so I'm going to have to get on that.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Sponge Baathist posted:

Memento

I don't think you understood Memento

The ending does fit the thread though

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The original ending to the Rick Moranis version of Little Shop of Horrors. It was thought for decades that the color print was lost but they found it in 2012 and put it on blu-ray. I highly recommend it since it's like a 22 minute ending. The black and white print leaked a decade earlier does not do it justice.

Also my favorite movie is The Machinist which does not have a happy ending. Though I suppose you could say it does because he finally frees his conscience.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
manos the hands of fate

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
The Vanishing, the 1988 one. Not only was the ending hosed up, it retroactively reveals how hosed up the beginning of the movie is.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Arlington Road in which the Terrorist wins.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
In The Mouth of Madness has the best unhappy ending because the whole film was just an intentional lead in to sam Neil going bugshit crazy and kicking a dude in the balls.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Much like everything else about the movie, Videodrome's ending was amazing and terribly bleak

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Miserable endings are the best.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Much like everything else about the movie, Videodrome's ending was amazing and terribly bleak

I have this theory about videodrome, that I haven't seen anywhere else, but it's that the whole movie is basically the crazy invention of the homeless man (I think it might be a David Cronenburg cameo?) outside the tv station. He sees them both go into the tv station and just concocts this whole crazy story about them.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Starship Troopers.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Perhaps if you are looking for a place to look down on others film opinions CD might be more your speed.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Blue Velvet. Oh, you think it's a happy ending but the happiness is relative. Contrast the opening scene with the ending scene. The former is an ideal of life in a small town, pure joyous Americana. The last scene is a slight change in perspective that kind of points out that the scenes aren't really different, but that the actors have changed enough to see the darker reverse of their lives. Not wholly tragic, but bittersweet.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Jastiger posted:

Starship Troopers.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

But they'll keep fighting.

And they'll win.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I watched Paths to Glory a few weeks ago and while Kubrick isn't the cheeriest filmmaker in the first place, I found it more cynical and depressing than his other films. Even more than Dr. Strangelove, which ended in nuclear annihilation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

What about "Parts: The Clonus Horror"

It has a bittersweet ending and it isn't a terrible movie. Perhaps limited by the technology of the time. It had more exposure probably because of the MST3K Riff of it. It's hard just to get the ending without the riff. I can link a vid from Good Bad Flicks that shows how it is very similar to Michael Bay's "The Island." In fact if you've seen The Island, then you've seen Parts and they are the same except for the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKeLvwG-5w

Eh, it probably doesn't fit your criteria but gently caress it. I'm :justpost:ing it anyway.

• Locked thread