Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/28/us/pepe-the-frog-hate-symbol-trnd/index.html

quote:

(CNN)Beloved internet meme Pepe the Frog has gone through various incarnations over the years, reflecting a range of emotions.

Recent appropriations of him as Adolf Hitler, a Klansman and numerous racist caricatures have earned him a spot in the Anti-Defamation League's database of hate symbols.
"Once again, racists and haters have taken a popular Internet meme and twisted it for their own purposes of spreading bigotry and harassing users," Jonathan A. Greenblatt, ADL CEO said in a statement. "These anti-Semites have no shame. They are abusing the image of a cartoon character, one that might at first seem appealing, to harass and spread hatred on social media."

This is really sad. The entire human race should be ashamed of themselves right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Alucard Nacirema posted:

This is really sad. The entire human race should be ashamed of themselves right now.

How does this even happen in 2016?

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
we did it

we defeated bigotry

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
This thread is a test, GBS. I hope that you all pass.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im in the Polish version of the ADL. The office has screen doors.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

quote:

Not all Pepes are sinister, the ADL said.
phyew.

quote:

The designation does not apply to all Pepe memes because most of them are not bigoted in nature, the ADL said.
"The mere fact of posting a Pepe meme does not mean that someone is racist or white supremacist," the group said.
"However, if the meme itself is racist or anti-Semitic in nature, or if it appears in a context containing bigoted or offensive language or symbols, then it may have been used for hateful purposes."
i feel like this defeats the purpose of a database of hate symbols.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Keg posted:

This thread is a test, GBS. I hope that you all pass.

I don't have you on ignore. Does that mean I pass?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

It's a bad month for memes. Can these people not see that memes are only as evil as the person posting them?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Cubone posted:

phyew.

i feel like this defeats the purpose of a database of hate symbols.

So, when the PeePee frog has a swastika on him, then he's a hate symbol, but when he doesn't have an already existing hate symbol, or some form of racist messaging attached, then he is not a hate symbol. So simple!

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

poor matt furie

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Ork of Fiction posted:

So, when the PeePee frog has a swastika on him, then he's a hate symbol, but when he doesn't have an already existing hate symbol, or some form of racist messaging attached, then he is not a hate symbol. So simple!

If only people could understand.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Ork of Fiction posted:

the same principle applies to any symbol without deeply entrenched prior meaning. a butt, for instance, would look pretty hateful with some swastikas and racial slurs added.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

drat those are some nice rear end teeth

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Cubone posted:

the same principle applies to any symbol without deeply entrenched prior meaning. a butt, for instance, would look pretty hateful with some swastikas and racial slurs added.

That's why my butt has a tattoo that says "All applicants welcome" across the top with an arrow pointing to my b-hole.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

as someone who was a fan of Matt Furie/Boys Club way before rare pepes and tendies and mad frog were a thing, this is all so loving surreal to me

I Dunno
Apr 7, 2014

Feels bad man

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

the other Boys Club members are still up for grabs

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
It's like we're living in a bizarre reality TV shoah.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Oh Hell No posted:

as someone who was a fan of Matt Furie/Boys Club way before rare pepes and tendies and mad frog were a thing, this is all so loving surreal to me

I also suffer this problem but I just dont talk about the internet with anyone in real life. Day by day its harder but I cant bear to say "I knew it before it was cool"

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My friend doing a degree in communications: Check out this assignment I got
me: they're called image macros

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

kikkelivelho posted:

It's a bad month for memes. Can these people not see that memes are only as evil as the person posting them?

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a meme is a good guy with a meme

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Imagine getting a blowjob from that individual

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

drat those are some nice rear end teeth

that's how you can tell she doesn't live in asia

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Nah bro i already had my mother call lowtax about signing my permission slip to attend GBS Reunion 2016

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
(((Pepe the Frog)))

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
the world really is stunningly stupid

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Swastikas are a symbol of good luck for Hindus.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

that frog was the only thing still capable of making me smile. now racists have taken him from me.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

m'lady :tipshat:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WitchFetish posted:

(((Pepe the Frog)))

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They are not racist because Pepe is. Also, I mean that's a cartoon, not a person. I mean that's like textbook schizophrenia to think a cartoon frog is a real life person. :shrug:

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 28, 2016

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Hillary not only refusing to defend Pepe but blatantly attacking him soured me on the whole Yank elections. Makes me question the very competences of the people involved.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Its me, I am abusing the image of a cartoon character.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If we paint racist symbols all of the ADL branches throughout the world, will they be forced to label them a hate symbol?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope they go after Jeff Dunham next.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
For anit-semitic purposes no less, mind you.
God help us if its not about the jews once.
I mean mr Jonathan Greenblatt says its anit-semitic, so its gotta be.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Another frog joins the endangered species list :(

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I Dunno posted:

Feels bad man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I thought he was a symbol of pulling your pants all the way down to pee.

• Locked thread