Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

lazorexplosion posted:

Hahah the people who paid all that money to go to university to sit in lectures on pepe.

The saddest part is how they don't even know pepe and are just parroting manufactured talking points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
more old people not understanding the internet comin atcha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtU2Efaj0xs

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Excuse me I have a degree in Advanced Applied Memeology.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

The Tenured Meme

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
My guidance counselor never told me I could be a meme professor. What a dick.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Pepe is a meme of peace. Behead those who insult him.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

skeevy achievements posted:

more old people not understanding the internet comin atcha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtU2Efaj0xs

made it 30 seconds before throwing my computer out rthe window

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Argh
Feb 15, 2005

kindermord posted:

he's already showing up in uni lectures

is there some sort of problem with equipping the youth of today with the tools to fight the oppression of tomorrow?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Deus Vult!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Jellidelic posted:

you know a least one idiot got a pepe tattoo before all this and now he's a nazi

http://www.vice.com/read/pepe-the-frog-tattoo-whoops

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

holy poo poo someone actually used ello?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

kindermord posted:

he's already showing up in uni lectures

Look at all those people paying thousands of dollars to be warned about nazi memes by some old fuddy duddy

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I wonder what went wrong in that frogs life to make him so hateful

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Imagine going to college for a bullshit sociology degree about racist memes instead of STEM master race

That takes an impressive commitment to poor life choices

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Upon hearing of his loss of the rare Pepes in the Teutoberg forest, the Emperor Augustus, according to the Roman historian Suetonius in De vita Caesarum ("The Lives of the Caesars"), was so shaken that he stood butting his head against the walls of his palace, repeatedly shouting:

"Hilarious Clinotnius, Pepes redde!“ ('Hillary Clinton, give me back my Pepes!')

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
This is like some weird dream or drug trip. Can this be reality ? How can anyone honestly hope for things to get better when this is taken as a serious issue ?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

So the clickbait headline boils down to-- the ADL noticed that racist assholes seem to like to use this frog in their propaganda.

What exactly is being taken too seriously?

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Its weird how memes have evolved into a modern political cartoon format almost.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So is Pepe in the propaganda as a joke? Because I can only see that meaning the propaganda is taken less seriously not more. Or is Pepe meant to stand in for the audience, with a knowing look at the viewer? As in bridging the gap between some fat internet warrior and reality, like a certain cartoon pony in a death camp?

If someone could answer these questions it would satisfy my vague curiosity tia. But I imagine the academic discussions are more along the lines of

:eng101: Here are 5 kinds of rare racist pepes
:shobon: Hmm yes internet racism sure is bad

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
So if people started putting Jesus in racist cartoons would the ADL call him a nazi ?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Decebal posted:

So if people started putting Jesus in racist cartoons would the ADL call him a nazi ?

No one called Pepe a nazi.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

...and the pitch! posted:

So the clickbait headline boils down to-- the ADL noticed that racist assholes seem to like to use this frog in their propaganda.

No, the ADL noticed that the Clinton campaign wrote about the frog being a white supremacist symbol, which the Clinton campaign used when Trump tweeted a frog meme pic sourcing the low-standards Daily Beast, from which the freelance content-churner who wrote the article got by quoting an anonymous twitter troll who had called out what he was up to months before hand

our entire loving media is a bunch of elementary school kids playing telephone

Decebal posted:

This is like some weird dream or drug trip. Can this be reality ? How can anyone honestly hope for things to get better when this is taken as a serious issue ?

there is no hope, this is the world we have made for ourselves, face to bloodshed etc etc

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Decebal posted:

To be fair, the ADL has never been a fan of Jesus...

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

alt-right Jesus then

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

lol sorry but this is 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

we didnt call him a nazi

we just heavily implied it and supported people promoting this notion

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
"Honey, what's wrong."

Nothing... I was just playing around in the attic yesterday.... and....

"What happened?"

I found an old box, it looked neat to so I opened it. I saw a bunch of pictures of grandpa... from 2016... and the frog. The bad frog.

"Oh no..."

Why did he have all those pepes? Why didn't you guys ever tell me?

"We just... it was a really controversial time and... it's difficult to talk about."

Am I like him? Am I bad?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

free basket of chips posted:

Its weird how memes have evolved into a modern political cartoon format almost.

When the population grows large enough and connected enough than all forms of communication and art will be replaced by memes.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moon Atari posted:

When the population grows large enough and connected enough than all forms of communication and art will be replaced by memes.

It will be a dark time for all

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

This is universal even in the Ivory Tower.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think that's just America. The main way of understanding any new situation is looking to the country's short history and determining which party is the US and which one is Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Strategic Tea posted:

So is Pepe in the propaganda as a joke? Because I can only see that meaning the propaganda is taken less seriously not more. Or is Pepe meant to stand in for the audience, with a knowing look at the viewer? As in bridging the gap between some fat internet warrior and reality, like a certain cartoon pony in a death camp?

yah after being discovered here pepe became the feels good/bad man macro that then evolved on 4chan and is like the feels guy in that he sometimes represents the values of the intended audience of the meme or is a stand in for the memes author but often hes just there cause hes funny. you kinda gotta "get" the specific image and see it in context tho

• Locked thread