Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You guys, this secret SA poster coworker story has the stringy stench of the puppet master all over it! Don't fall for his lies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SpazmasterX posted:

Forgotten employee goon: Start looking for a new job ASAP. The faster you jump ship the less likely it is to sink. Don't even dare try to double dip either. Get a new job, cut and run, don't answer any calls from HR, admit to nothing.

The most hilarious irony would be the forgotten employee gets called by his old employer to ask him to come back

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I can't even imagine discovering a poster was a seriously great dude irl and my reaction being "should... should I get him fired??? does this mean he is the serial killer 'dexter morgan' from the tv and book series 'dexter'??"

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Cubone posted:

I can't even imagine discovering a poster was a seriously great dude irl and my reaction being "should... should I get him fired??? does this mean he is the serial killer 'dexter morgan' from the tv and book series 'dexter'??"

Well, that other guy ratted out a coworker and got him fired for posting stuff about a company (b-b-but he signed an NDA for god's sake!) so I guess that reaction is more common than you'd think.

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

It's niggerstomper. Or smelliet

Smelliot was supposedly a Social Worker, so this is my vote.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Social workers earned the right to be weirdos online.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

Social workers earned the right to be weirdos online.

I consider it offensive that is a right that has to be earned

Pelvic Floor Wax
Jul 21, 2007

Il Federale posted:

Well, that other guy ratted out a coworker and got him fired for posting stuff about a company (b-b-but he signed an NDA for god's sake!) so I guess that reaction is more common than you'd think

Eh, the post was entirely about poo poo talking the company and revealing things he shouldn’t. Financial stuff. Plus it kinda proves he’s dumb as rocks, and we probably shouldn’t be handing him a list of credit cards.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Getting handed a list of credit cards is meaningless unless they know how to defraud them. And now that most places ask for the code on the back, the numbers themselves are harder to scam just on their own.

Pelvic Floor Wax
Jul 21, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Getting handed a list of credit cards is meaningless unless they know how to defraud them. And now that most places ask for the code on the back, the numbers themselves are harder to scam just on their own.

alright alright, next time someone poo poo talks the company online and discloses financial info, I’ll keep them on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Good. :colbert:

Also you shouldn't give a poo poo about the company. It's just where you work. It'll chew you up and spit you out the minute you stop being cost effective for it.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
outing a goon seems like a terrible idea imho, since even if they might not know it was you specifically, they might just pull an israel and just drop dox on everyone in their goons.xlsx

Pelvic Floor Wax
Jul 21, 2007

True, but I was a lurker so I would have just grabbed my popcorn and watched it all go down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Unionise via the forums

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

if you talk poo poo about allstate on the forums i swear i will hunt you down like the dog you are

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unionise via the forums

United Postal Workers local #69420(GBS)

sugar free jazz posted:

if you talk poo poo about allstate on the forums i swear i will hunt you down like the dog you are

gently caress all water fowl I ain't buying no duck insurance

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Solice Kirsk posted:

Good. :colbert:

Also you shouldn't give a poo poo about the company. It's just where you work. It'll chew you up and spit you out the minute you stop being cost effective for it.

Understanding that a company doesn't have any feelings for you and is utilizing your labor to create value doesn't suddenly give you license to be a complete poo poo.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

LanceHunter posted:

Understanding that a company doesn't have any feelings for you and is utilizing your labor to create value doesn't suddenly give you license to be a complete poo poo.

you don't need a license to be an rear end in a top hat, hell, you don't even need anyone's permission

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Streak posted:

you don't need a license to be an rear end in a top hat, hell, you don't even need anyone's permission

Yet people still feel the urge to break out the freshman year marxist analysis to justify being an rear end in a top hat...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

LanceHunter posted:

Yet people still feel the urge to break out the freshman year marxist analysis to justify being an rear end in a top hat...

Tell us about your opinions about corporations

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

If I were in the forgotten job goon’s shoes, I would utilize that free time to either work on my own projects or study. It’s free time that somebody else is paying you for, so use it while you can.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just can't imagine myself tattletaling on anyone unless someone was going to get very seriously hurt.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just can't imagine myself tattletaling on anyone unless someone was going to get very seriously hurt.

Yeah its this. I support whistleblowing in terms personal health and safety, but if someone is just jeopardizing themselves and their own corporate masters, I don't know how you'd manage to care unless you're personally invested or fundamental to the company

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah its this. I support whistleblowing in terms personal health and safety, but if someone is just jeopardizing themselves and their own corporate masters, I don't know how you'd manage to care unless you're personally invested or fundamental to the company

yeah this is exactly the difference between snitching and whistleblowing. if you aren't actually helping or protecting someone (an actual person, not a corporation) then you are just tattling. the NDA rat was just licking the boss' boots

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Becoming so mad with power that you start uncontrollably tongueing corporate rear end must be a heady feeling

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It's me, I'm the person who is brave enough to stick up for the 1%

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
speaking of

quote:

I worked for a small business for a long time. I was an assistant manager and we had about 10 employees on average. We were a pretty close-knit group and I loved what I did. Eventually though I found out that the owner and the employee he was loving were stealing customers' credit card information. They would come up with some excuse to have to go in the back like "the machine is out of paper" or whatever, quickly snap a picture of the front and back with their phone, and then use it later.

Obviously I was conflicted because that is a lovely thing to do. I confronted them and asked them what the gently caress they are thinking. They just laughed and said it's easy and the customers never have suspected it was them that stole the info. They offered me a cut if I kept it quiet. I agreed, if only to keep my job. The next time they did it I was able to get the security footage and went to the police with it and told them everything. I even gave them the money they had given me for keeping quiet.

Well, naturally they were both arrested and the business shut down. They instantly knew it was me of course and were beyond pissed at me. I was actually scared the owner would kill me at one point. I'm not sure what sentence they ended up getting but I haven't heard from them in a while. It has been about 4 months and I still have no job and can't even get an interview anywhere. This was the only job I ever worked and obviously I can't use my last boss as a reference.

So in the end I owned myself by taking the high road. At least I did my civic duty, right?

You'll bounce back. You did the right thing and this isn't the end of everything. Consider possibly moving to a new area, though.

quote:

I go to a weekly trivia night. A few weeks ago was all Jurassic Park trivia because of the new movie.

I usually win trivia. I have aspergers and as such absorb information very easily. Although I don’t like pop culture, there are few questions based on it. And I can usually win from the “obscure” (to normal people) math, history, or science problems.

Not this week. After round one I had 0 points and did not see things changing. They check to make sure you don’t use a cell phone, but I hid mine in my sandwich bun and tore a little hole in top so I could search. To the casual observer, I was just a man at trivia night eating his bologna sandwich he brought from home. But I was actually googling for inane questions like “What is the name of the main dinosaur in Jurassic World”.

I didn’t win that night but I got 2nd place, which is pretty good. I lost to a team of 7 people and, considering I’m one man, that’s quite acceptable.

If you're cheating at pub trivia you might want to try working on yourself a little bit because that sounds like a pretty unhealthy obsession with "winning"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

If you're cheating at pub trivia you might want to try working on yourself a little bit because that sounds like a pretty unhealthy obsession with "winning"

Seriously. Nothing ruins trivia night like cheaters. We all know how to google the answers, that's not the point of it all.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Why even go to trivia if you're going to cheat? Unless there's a prize, in which case you are a giant scum bag and are probably doing something illegal.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Haha, what? How does the sandwich disguise even work?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HoboMan posted:

Wait, what did they add to TF2 now?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You've never seen someone stare at their sandwich for an hour while tapping at a hole in it?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

HoboMan posted:

He was just carrying out the perfectly normal activity of staring at and poking (but not eating) his homemade sandwich during a trivia contest, no way anyone could find that odd or suspicious.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I make myself a nice PB&J then put pimento stuffed olives on toothpicks on it and then gaze longingly into my sandwiches eyes, as a normal person does

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

loquacius posted:

speaking of

You'll bounce back. You did the right thing and this isn't the end of everything. Consider possibly moving to a new area, though.

Even if goon hadn’t turned in his boss he’d have been caught. It’s fairly easy data science to spot that a bunch of cards that had fraud only had 1 business in common among the entire set.

Someone was doing that at a bar in my old college town and apparently they were able to narrow it down to not only the business but 1 or 2 bartenders. CCTV was set up and a hipster went to jail.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I worked construction in high school for several summers. Every Friday afternoon the guys would get a case of beer. They would take the cans of beer, stick them in their work gloves, and drink from the can inside the glove. They genuinely believed that this brilliant disguise kept people unaware that they were drinking beer. The bologna sandwich story reminded me of standing around watching a half dozen men drinking out of work gloves with self-satisfied grins on their faces. I'd like to think that a whole bar full of people were snickering at the man with a phone in his sandwich.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Caganer posted:

Even if goon hadn’t turned in his boss he’d have been caught. It’s fairly easy data science to spot that a bunch of cards that had fraud only had 1 business in common among the entire set.

Someone was doing that at a bar in my old college town and apparently they were able to narrow it down to not only the business but 1 or 2 bartenders. CCTV was set up and a hipster went to jail.

Once he told them he knew about it, and especially once he accepted hush money from them, the die was cast, though. He had to turn them in at that point or he'd have gone down with them.

Accepting hush money to cover up a crime is a really bad move because it makes you an accomplice. You pretty much have to march straight to the cops or you're going down too if anything goes wrong, ever

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

loquacius posted:

Once he told them he knew about it, and especially once he accepted hush money from them, the die was cast, though. He had to turn them in at that point or he'd have gone down with them.

Accepting hush money to cover up a crime is a really bad move because it makes you an accomplice. You pretty much have to march straight to the cops or you're going down too if anything goes wrong, ever

Yeah, this

Also even if the patrons never suspected them the credit card companies are the one investigating the fraud and it's pretty easy to catch if they do it enough.

Pelvic Floor Wax
Jul 21, 2007

Son of Man posted:

yeah this is exactly the difference between snitching and whistleblowing. if you aren't actually helping or protecting someone (an actual person, not a corporation) then you are just tattling. the NDA rat was just licking the boss' boots

Not really, I’m obviously not posting details but the end result could have been a lot of people being laid off. Sorry not gonna feel guilt for keeping my job when some asshat goes after it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

loquacius posted:

And if they ask why you can't use the old boss as a reference, I'd suggest being completely honest about the story. Would you really want to work for someone who felt that covering up a serious crime is a good thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RFC2324 posted:

And if they ask why you can't use the old boss as a reference, I'd suggest being completely honest about the story. Would you really want to work for someone who felt that covering up a serious crime is a good thing?
Put it straight on your cv.
References:
Senior management from my last job are all in jail for felony credit card fraud but here's the contact details for the police officer I reported the credit card fraud to.
Officer Feelgood
555-69-420