Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

proctorbot posted:

Rich goon, just tell your dates that you work in investing. Because that is how you get your money. Then do whatever the gently caress you want with your time.

This.

Richgoon, don't listen to anyone telling you not to coast through life, half of those fuckers would coast in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it. Coast like a motherfucker.

Also consider that blimp plan that's good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

loquacius posted:

I've talked about this a bunch of times by now, but I once had a job where I was paid way too much money to do basically nothing and I liked it for a while but it eventually turned me super depressed

I spent my whole life from age 5 to age 18 being told how smart I was and then had a very expensive college education that involved me becoming really insecure about how smart I actually was in the scheme of things, though, plus I have an American work ethic, so I might be particularly susceptible to worrying about wasting my life :shrug:

I was in a similar situation for a while and yeah, it wasn't exactly emotionally fulfilling - I guess what I take issue with is the assumption that the dude is wasting his life because he doesn't have a Real Job (tm). gently caress that noise. Dude's working at a library, he probably likes books, for all I know he's reading all the time and expanding his mind and poo poo. You can have a decent life that doesn't involve a paycheck, man.

In conclusion: gently caress the system, guillotine the bourgeoisie, and Bernie would have won

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

mkultra419 posted:

This is terrible advice

Also the word is "voila," it's French, "walla" just makes you look like a loving moron

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Runaktla posted:

All that said yes I'm a little insensitive compared to some. I'm not sure that the fact that certain groups were treated harshly means I can't mock them if they act over the top.

I'm gonna pretend you're actually trying to be reasonable and just haven't actually thought this poo poo through instead of posturing for Internet Points, because I'm just that kind of naive. So:

When you say something along the lines of "I don't have a problem with gay people as long as they don't act all over the top about it," what you're really saying - whether consciously or not, whether intentionally or not - is "I don't have a problem with gay people as long as I don't have to think about them being gay, as long as their gayness is entirely invisible to me."

And when you say that, you have a problem with gay people.

It's called "erasure," the removal of evidence of a group's existence, and it's a lovely thing to do, because the message it sends - and, again, this may not be your intent but it's the message that comes across regardless of intent - is that people should stop acting in the way they feel comfortable, people should stop expressing their identity, for your comfort. And any time you're saying that your comfort is more important than someone else's identity you're being an rear end, whether you want to or not. No amount of "I have gay friends" or "I've represented gay people in court" is going to change that.

It's a lovely thing to do, and you should probably stop - or at least spend some time thinking about why you do it. What made that particular professor's "flamboyance" so repugnant to you that you felt the need to mock him for it? Why do you give a poo poo? What possible impact could it have on your life? Maybe spend some time thinking about that kind of thing and how it comes across to other people instead of trying to absolve yourself of any possible responsibility by saying "I'm a little insensitive" like that makes it okay.

Just a suggestion.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Poligoon, if you got banned from /pol/ it wasn't because you were being too right-wing. You can tell because that's where all the fuckin' Nazis live. hth

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

omnibobb posted:

Dude

Here is what you think you are saying "this dude had annoying habits"

Here is what you are actually saying (edit: or at least coming off as) "this dude was annoyingly gay"

Like, when I take my kids to play pokemon there is a gay guy who yells across the store to talk to his friends. He has a super lisp and is hella flamboyant. These arent the reason he's annoying. He's annoying because he has no respect for the people around him and yells. See the difference?

This is a good post

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

shut up blegum posted:

My anonymous confession is: some people claim they are trans just to get some attention =/= all LGBT should be hanged

My anonymous confession is: behavior that is less lovely than "all LGBT should be hanged" =/= behavior that is not lovely.

Like, the bar for acceptable behavior need not be set at "well at least I'm not calling for genocide."

My second anonymous confession is: people shouldn't need to have this poo poo explained to them unless they have suffered severe brain trauma.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Stickfigure posted:

Dead ex goon, engrave "Her last dick was (your name)" on her gravestone.

Alternatively, engrave "so bad at sex he turned her off dick forever" on your own

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ACAB

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You ever been trans, chief? If you don't know poo poo, don't talk poo poo.

You are right about one thing, though: there is a piece of loving poo poo in your family, but it's not your kid.

:same:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SatansOnion posted:

Prepare your butts for my blistering hot take on teens and attention-seeking:

Vanishingly few young people care to risk a beating every time they leave the house because they've changed their appearance to suit the gender with which they most comfortably identify, in my (admittedly not comprehensive) experience. In brief, trans-pa, if this were a cry for attention it'd be a face tattoo, or nose piercings, or a Che tee shirt, or a bloated suitor twenty years their senior wearing a faded Tasmanian-Devil-in-a-backwards-cap tee and jean shorts. I'm of the belief that you ought to count your blessings that you have a somewhat delicate (what teenager isn't?) but otherwise healthy trans daughter; instead of, say, a cisgender son who thought meth was the ideal way to stick it to Dad

Seconding this. If a kid is making a cry for attention they're blasting lovely music, not telling everyone "hey I am a part of the only group in America that it's still seen as somewhat defensible to murder"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rumda posted:

Just lol if you didn't spend your college years in a crippling state of depression.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Danaru posted:

Spawn was the only good superhero movie

That's a funny way to spell The Specials.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

If this is going to cause a massive derail about how to properly wipe your rear end ignore me.

No one ignored you, sorry

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

pffft, ooo, look at you guys, "I got the text adventure reference," I solved the goddamn babel fish puzzle in Infocom's Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy without a hint, gently caress all y'all

(confession: I am being hyperbolic in an attempt to be humorous)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Gonna recommend you don't use the kitchen garbage can at a bar.

Yeah, the cooks need that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

When my aunt got married, one of my family members (my grandmother's brother's daughter, I forget exactly what that makes her in relation to me) was asked, "do you know the bride?" And she said "yes, she's my cousin." "Oh, then have you met the groom?" "Yes, he's my cousin."

She was a cousin on her father's side; he was on her mother's, so there was no consanguinity. But it was still funny.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Danaru posted:

You are literally defending a guy jacking it to a minor

This is a thing you are doing

Maybe don't actually defend a guy jacking it to a minor

not emptyquoting, just vigorously agreeing

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Because ogling a person doesn't case them , harm. Now if someome wants to preserve it, now it's a crime?! Smdh

Invasion of privacy is harm, my dude

Look, it's like this. A person has the right to decide who they want to let see them naked and who they don't want to let see them naked. If they're in a position where they are clearly choosing not to let someone see them naked - say, by entering a changing room, which is a place expressly designed to provide them some privacy - and you decide to circumvent that and see them naked anyway, you have eliminated their right to decide who gets to see them naked. You've made them less. You've openly declared that your desires are more important than their choices.

And that's lovely. Also illegal.

Stop filming girls in the changing room, Jastiger.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Overworked Goon:

Quit. Quit like a motherfucker. GTFO of that job. It is making you miserable. It is making your fiancee miserable. Get the gently caress out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

loquacius posted:

You gotta wonder why metric-system zealots don't spend more time lobbying to change our horrible antiquated calendar to something more logical, really

The French Revolution tried. It didn't work out so well.

That's why the date of this post isn't given as 6 Brumaire CCXXVI

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

Patriots fans are just the worst.

Now let me tell you why the Green Bay Packers are great...

Is it because you can spend $250 to buy a share* of the team?

* "share" does not include any degree of ownership, rights, voting, input into team operations, or any privileges besides the privilege of having given money to a football team that does not care about you at all

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The Snoo posted:

we got secretly married at the courthouse when our relationship with my parents was real fuckin bad. now that things are better, I regret not being able to have a small ceremony with friends and family. especially because I think of my dad and I start crying lmao

So have one now, renew your vows.

I mean, assuming you're still married or whatever

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

RCarr posted:

Yea everyone knows black people cant speak or write proper English.

I think it has less to do with the fact that the dude's black and more to do with the fact that the guy's self-chosen player alias was "He Hate Me" which is not, in fact, proper English

This may indicate a propensity towards use of what might be termed improper English

I hope this helps

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

loquacius posted:

you should probably bring this up with your therapist

This applies to both feshes, really

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

loquacius posted:

It's cool, the Pats are still a good football team, and in the scheme of things I am lucky that they've only really looked horrible 3 times this season as opposed to every other team except Pittsburgh and I am namasteing :)

If you're too young to recall Super Bowl XX the Patriots are a blessing to you

Us old people know that this, too, shall pass

(they let the loving Fridge score a touchdown what in the loving hell)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

loquacius posted:

re SBXX, man 1986 was not a good year for Boston sports lol

Yeah tell me about it - that was when I was 9. That was my introduction to being a sports fan, that whole fuckin' year.

One day the Patriots will be lovely again, and I am terrified of the number of Pats fans out there who don't have the emotional scars and don't know how to deal with it. Like, I feel for you, man, but someday you're gonna have to see the elephant.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dear Anonymous Brokedick Goon: your prostate is your friend

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

420 SWAGLORD posted:

I am more interested in your willpower-free depression cure friend, I don't have pm's and feel something like that would be massively helpful to the fesser/general SA readership anyhow

e: didn't see your edit, sorry if I'm being a jerk. The idea willpower is useless/irrelevant to fighting depression keeps a lot of people trapped in bad mental health situations so I was real motivated to argue the point. Glad you're doing better, you obviously don't have to share publicly if you don't want to

I don't think anyone would say willpower is irrelevant to fighting depression; however, the thing about saying "Something no one ever wants to talk about with depression is willpower. In 2018 depression is a disease and your only way out is medication and/or therapy, but actually the secret is willpower" is - and I don't think it's intentional, for the record - that the unspoken implication is "you would be better if you had more willpower, boy it's a shame that you don't have any."

Like, when I was first coming to grips with the idea that my doctor had told me "yeah, you have a problem with depression" and trying to explain that to my friends and family - and this was back in the late '90s, and people weren't exactly as aware of the problem as they are today - I heard it again and again. "You just have to suck it up and deal." "You've got to power through this." "Just dig deep and overcome this poo poo." Meanwhile I was having thoughts of self-harm almost every day and hitting genuine suicidal ideation at least once a month; it was taking every ounce of my energy to bother to eat, and every time someone said something about willpower to me my initial response was to think something along the lines of "motherfucker I am not dead that should be all the proof you need that I've got some willpower. I struggle with this poo poo every day and I haven't opened my wrists yet, what the gently caress more do you want from me you gently caress?"

And then I would say none of that out loud and go to bed in the early afternoon because I was eating, like, a Pop-Tart a day and that was it. It was not a fun time in my life. I got better, mostly.

My point is, no one with depression issues needs to hear "hey man, just use some willpower," because we are. It's just not working as well for us as it is for other people. That doesn't mean it's not important, even critical, to dealing with those issues; that doesn't mean it's not important. It just means that the implication - an implication that probably isn't intentional but which comes across anyway - is that we don't already know about willpower, like it's some arcane secret that we just never considered, when honestly it's something depressed people are using as best they can every day.

(oh, and for the record - I don't think you're a bad person for talking about it or any poo poo like that, you're asking good and reasonable questions, we're cool, man)

E: also sorry for yet another post on a topic some people are clearly not digging, but it's kind of important to me, is all

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Fartbox posted:

Do they have videogames in heaven? :ohdear:

In Heaven, Star Citizen is an actual functioning game that fulfills all its earthly promises

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ghostnuke posted:

a tattoo is in no way legally binding lol

This tat wasn't binding, but the hospital's ethics board decided to honor it anyway; according to the New England Journal of Medicine, though, the tattoo "produced more confusion than clarity".

In the current state of affairs it looks as though a DNR tattoo isn't binding, but will tend to keep doctors from using heroic lifesaving measures while the paperwork for your actual DNR order (which you should damned well have if you're considering a DNR tat) is found.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dear ICE Hot Tip Goon: No one would yell about you "triggering the Spanish speakers." They'd yell about you being an rear end in a top hat. Hope that helps.

(I am operating under the assumption that this confession, like all confessions that aren't painfully obvious, is real. Mostly because the last Anonymous Confessions Thread turned to poo poo after everyone stopped discussing the feshes and just went "nope, fake" to every single one, that was less interesting than this thread has been)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

I think Mr. ICE snitch is a little too on the nose on certain points to be anything but another bad goon Creative Writing attempt (hint CC goons, stupid assholes aren't usually self-aware that they are stupid assholes...take a lesson from the Reddit thread), but the point is that people like that DO exist in the real world and so it's still acceptable to respond and analyze the post as if they were actually.

After all, we don't dismiss fictional film or literature as being worthy of discussion just because "they're not real".

Oh, it's entirely possible that ICE Snitch Goon is a creative writing exercise; I just don't care that much. The last thread turned into "confessions are posted, someone (usually Jastiger IIRC) calls bullshit, thread spends a page arguing over whether calls of bullshit were plausible while confession gets ignored, repeat" and it was dull as hell; it's more interesting and fun IMHO to just suspend disbelief, pretend they're all written in earnest, and actually talk about the confessions rather than whether or not an idiosyncrasy in the writing style indicates a falsification or whatever. Criticizing the story is way more fun than criticizing the writing, is what I'm getting at. :)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Runaktla posted:

Orrrr it could mean the girl may worry the guy will always also long to have sex with another guy as well during their relationship.

That *may* not be the case for all but it could be for some. But let’s not argue and just probate away what we don’t like to talk about.

Uh, I'm bi, and my wife doesn't worry about that poo poo. My wife is also bi, and I don't worry about that poo poo. Because we're, y'know, adults who understand that we can trust each other.

Just saying, this may be a useful datum point to take on board, there, chief.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Neutrino posted:

I can't imagine why the law would say that. Even in an uncontrolled intersection drivers have to yield to whomever is in the intersection first, whether it is a car, speeding truck or a pedestrian. If the pedestrian was crossing illegally, I can sort of understand but it doesn't sound like that was the case. Even so, I always find it hard to understand having an accident even if you are in the right. A skilled driver would have seen the ped and avoided them. If a driver didn't see them then the question has to be asked, is the driver fit to drive?

I refuse to believe that the person dumb enough to write the above post is old enough to have a driver's license

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

loquacius posted:

It makes magic sound a lot like prayer or positive thinking

Magic is prayer or positive thinking, and the more honest writers'll admit it. I spent a ridiculously long time obsessed with occult stuff; I still read up on it a lot, but less because I believe and more because I'm fascinated. Back in the mid-90s when Wicca started taking off (such as it was), many of the more prominent Wiccan and neopagan authors would come right out and say "now, will casting this spell make you rich? Maybe. Or maybe it will just help you focus your energies and attention in a way that makes it easier to save money and make responsible financial decisions" and so on and so forth. Some would just hint at it obliquely instead of coming out and saying it, but there were always oblique hints. It's all power of positive thinking stuff.

That doesn't make it bad, mind you - I know people who really and truly have improved their lives through magic, just like I know people who really and truly have improved their lives through prayer and I know other people who really and truly improved their lives thanks to The Secret. But if you're expecting to learn how to throw fireballs, well, you're poo poo outta luck.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't really like this because it implies some form of magic is real, just not the harry potter poo poo. I don't deny that some people have been helped by believing in magic, but they could have probably gotten that same help through learning better life skills directly without all the mysticism. It's those skills that are helping people, not the magic.

Like it or don't like it; that's up to you. Doesn't change anything, really. "Magic" is a framework for some people to build a better mindset and better life skills on, in the same way that "faith" is a framework for other people or "a positive attitude" is a framework for others or "rational secularism" is a framework for still others. The important thing, IMHO, is the better mindset and life skills; whatever framework provides the support for someone to hang those things on is okay by me. I guess I just don't get why it's not okay by you.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Cinaedus Defututus posted:

no, it agrees that "magic" is placebo effect at best

But it's the wrong placebo effect don't you see

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I miss the guy claiming to be WWE Superstar Kane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

I started reading "oh ok that weird CP aussie I heard in the news", wiki section specifically for Daisy's Destruction...how bad could wikipedia be anyway?

[READS]

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

puppet master strikes again