Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
well, did you get any action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Chips and salsa are better than salami.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Cobra Commander posted:

gym fuckboi spotted

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Chinatown posted:

gym fuckboi spotted

Fuckbois luv Mexican food bro.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cobra Commander posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bGHfhEIrkY

This is me when someone says something like that.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

I will gently caress all of you to prove chips and salsa is better.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Cobra Commander posted:

this is u

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Cobra Commander posted:

I fear you may be outnumbered. In other news: wow I cannot believe this cramp has hosed my leg up this bad. Not sure I can do leg day tomorrow.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You know what I like better is triscuits and hummus

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I fear you may be outnumbered. In other news: wow I cannot believe this cramp has hosed my leg up this bad. Not sure I can do leg day tomorrow.

take a salt pill and walk it off you weepy pussy

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

proof of concept posted:

take a salt pill eat some salami and walk it off you weepy pussy

Corrected.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
good point! why didn't I think of that...

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

So it seems to consensus on the internet is that drop sets are good for aesthetics but don't really provide any strength gains. This just doesn't add up to me and doesn't jive with my experience so far. If I LOOK really jacked, surely I must at least be somewhat stronger than when I started, right? After reading on the topic, I decided on doing heavy weight, reps to failure, slowly scaling down until I'm burnt out, and then really dropping the weight to bust as many reps as possible.

What say you goons?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Drop sets may be better for hypertrophy(or not I'm not a loving scientist) but the two are still obviously linked. It's probably not possible to grow bigger muscles and not get at least a little stronger.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Just do synthol

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I LOVE BIG TITTIES

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
We need to get that guy's routine.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Cobra Commander posted:

what about guac fam

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Just made myself a nice steak and I think that may be the ideal post workout meal

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dicere posted:

So it seems to consensus on the internet is that drop sets are good for aesthetics but don't really provide any strength gains. This just doesn't add up to me and doesn't jive with my experience so far. If I LOOK really jacked, surely I must at least be somewhat stronger than when I started, right? After reading on the topic, I decided on doing heavy weight, reps to failure, slowly scaling down until I'm burnt out, and then really dropping the weight to bust as many reps as possible.

What say you goons?
Hypertrophy is just one variable to strength. If you are training for strength and do drop sets they probably won't hurt but could be less productive than doing a relevant accessory.

Spoto used to do drop sets and lots of bodybuilding work and there aren't many people you'll see bench 315 for 45 reps like it weighs nothing. I don't think he did them anywhere near when he did that though.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Winnie the poo poo posted:

what about guac fam

On par with salsa.
Chest and shoulders are a bitch to work with a bad wrist. One day I may have sick gains.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Khorne posted:

Hypertrophy is just one variable to strength. If you are training for strength and do drop sets they probably won't hurt but could be less productive than doing a relevant accessory.

da gently caress does this even mean

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Homestar Runner posted:

da gently caress does this even mean
Hypertrophy/muscle mass are like potential strength. It is the most important variable in how much you can lift if you are proficient at lifting heavy and do it with a reasonable frequency. But if you don't lift heavy, you won't be as strong with the same amount of hypertrophy. This study is kinda relevant and illustrates the point. With that said, it kinda doesn't matter because if you already have the muscles you'll make strength gains crazy fast. Greg Nuckols wrote a kind of interesting article as well that even advocates bodybuilding style hypertrophy routines for powerlifting.

The second part means, you can do drop sets it will probably help if you get results from it. The only time it wouldn't help is if you are cutting corners on other parts of training that would have had better results due to time constraints. Or if you're too fatigued from it come the next workout.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 10, 2016

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
so im at a party the other night and im mixing my drinks with coke which a friend of mine starts playfully giving me poo poo about cause he knows im supposed to be cutting atm. im all whatever man i lifted today its cool when another dude i barely know comes up looks me straight in the eye and in an absolutely dead serious tone says "eat to lift dont lift to eat"

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

so im at a party the other night and im mixing my drinks with coke which a friend of mine starts playfully giving me poo poo about cause he knows im supposed to be cutting atm. im all whatever man i lifted today its cool when another dude i barely know comes up looks me straight in the eye and in an absolutely dead serious tone says "eat to lift dont lift to eat"

uhh DIET coke on a cut dummy!

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Tolkien minority posted:

uhh DIET coke on a cut dummy!

i usually go pepsi max personally it wasnt my coke or my bourbon i wasnt planing on drinking at all that night cause ya know its one of the dumbest things to do when you cutting

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wanted a rum and coke one night after the kid was in bed but I was cutting, so instead I put some run in a cherry coke zero.... it tasted just like Nyquil, so don't do that.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Overhead squats are a bit of a oval office

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

GORDON posted:

I wanted a rum and coke one night after the kid was in bed but I was cutting, so instead I put some run in a cherry coke zero.... it tasted just like Nyquil, so don't do that.

diet (cola of choice) plus captains morgan is my cuttin drink of choice. p tasty.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Rye. Neat. Why bother adding extra useless calories.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
bourbon or rum and diet cola arent good or anything but theyre totally drinkable and as a bonus they dont really taste any worse at room temp

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz2k21 posted:

Overhead squats are a bit of a oval office

What the gently caress is the point?

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

FedEx Mercury posted:

Sometimes you want an excuse for why you can only squat your own bodyweight.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

FedEx Mercury posted:

Eh figured I'd give it a go I've never really strayed away from back squats before except occasional front.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Overhead squats are stupid and make my lower back hurt. Plus you look like a loving tool doing them.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I remember when SA was all about squat variations like zercker squats and stuff. Like what the heck boys.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

I only do squat variations with the name of former presidents in the title.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
good ol president Sumo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

E_P posted:

I remember when SA was all about squat variations like zercker squats and stuff. Like what the heck boys.
I've been doing front squats lately. And 2 second pause at quarter or half squat on the way down back squats. They are both very annoying for entirely different reasons.

Front squat because I have to use straps and have to fight forward lean hard near the bottom, pause because come on it just sucks pausing there.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 10, 2016