Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just so this doesn't just turn into PYF rap videos, one thing I've always admired about the hip hop scene was the open nature of it. The Mixtape scene in particular is amazing to me.

The idea of taking someone else's music and doing your own lyrics is one that's basically almost unheard of in other genres or if it does exist is usually only the result of vast quantities of money changing hands for the rights to use the music.

In hip hop it's only permitted, but even encouraged, even by fairly large labels even if it's just them turning a blind eye.

I used to be pretty into hip hop but sort of lost track a few years ago. The last album I remember buying was Hell Hath No Fury, which goes to show how out of touch I am. The scene moves so fast, too, it's kind of hard to keep up with the latest stuff.

I think one of my favourite examples of the Mixtape scene was when Nas declared that hip hop was dead and Chamillionaire did his own rebuttal and killed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAKxjTRV6ms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvYaq0biIlI

Anyway, when I was growing up Scarface of the Geto Boys was one of my favourite artists, largely because he was one of the few rappers to talk about mental illness is an open way. It's quite a big issue that isn't really tackled hugely, especially since quite a few big names definitely had issues with it. People like the ODB etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's funny how the message of other genres never impacted on the people performing it. Black metal inspired people to murder, burn down churches and generally be misanthropic fucks. Or did it?

The question of violence in hip hop lyricism is always taken as deadly serious. The idea that black people can have the same sort of entertainment or power fantasies as white people always seems anathema.

Slayer can make music about murder and its all good fun, it's not particularly serious, why are you making a big deal about it?

Some kids from Compton make a record about killing cops and its deadly serious.

I don't really think the NWA were advocating for mass murder of cops anymore than the Wu-Tang Clan are actually grand masters of the Shaolin style.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Going literally across the country to kill someone over a music related feud seems like the epitome of stupid.

I mean, give people some credit. Talking poo poo has been a part of hip hop music since its genesis.

Lennon and McCartney ended up hating each other - was Lennon being shot actually part of a sinister plot by McCartney?

• Locked thread