Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Princess Di posted:

I have no idea, but these are very smart questions that apparently people in the senate did not ask.

Well I'm not sure if the Senate is just pushing legislation unwisely or if Obama is concern trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

rabble rabble posted:

I don't have a problem with foreign citizens suing the united states for war crimes, that seems totally logical cool and good

I guess if I was the one causing the war crimes I would be like noooo don't let them do that, because I'd be the sort of person committing war crimes so presumably I'd want to get away with it.

I think committing war crimes is definitely bad though, so people probably shouldn't be doing them at all

This is why the bill is in fact Very Good and I am shocked that it passed. Nobody is getting any money out of Saudis because they probably didn't do anything, but there is about to be a whole lot of unpleasantness directed the pentagon's way.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

EngineerSean posted:

Well I'm not sure if the Senate is just pushing legislation unwisely or if Obama is concern trolling.

Obama is not concern trolling. This law could potentially make it difficult for him to travel abroad in the future.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

The Kingfish posted:

Obama is not concern trolling. This law could potentially make it difficult for him to travel abroad in the future.

Isn't dick Cheney banned in a few countries or is that an Internet myth?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

EngineerSean posted:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/jul/17/facebook-posts/are-george-w-bush-dick-cheney-unable-visit-europe-/

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Thanks

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

EngineerSean posted:

I believe this started when Rumsfeld left France to go to Germany after some advocacy group asked a judge to arrest him.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Rand alPaul posted:

I believe this started when Rumsfeld left France to go to Germany after some advocacy group asked a judge to arrest him.

Yeah I don't know why I thought it was only Dick Cheney too.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

EngineerSean posted:

Somebody help me out here. This sets a dangerous precedent because if the US government allows US citizens to sue foreign governments in US courts, foreign governments will allow foreign citizens to sue the US government in foreign courts? What was stopping these foreign governments from allowing their citizens to sue the US government before this? Just the idea that we would retaliate by allowing our citizens to sue their governments in the future? Are there any governments which have allowed their citizens to sue the US government in the recent past, and we're just ignoring them? Is this the same general idea behind Democrats keeping the filibuster completely intact because if they weaken it now, what's to stop the next Republican majority from abolishing it completely?

Are there no good answers to these questions?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

EngineerSean posted:

Somebody help me out here. This sets a dangerous precedent because if the US government allows US citizens to sue foreign governments in US courts, foreign governments will allow foreign citizens to sue the US government in foreign courts? What was stopping these foreign governments from allowing their citizens to sue the US government before this? Just the idea that we would retaliate by allowing our citizens to sue their governments in the future? Are there any governments which have allowed their citizens to sue the US government in the recent past, and we're just ignoring them? Is this the same general idea behind Democrats keeping the filibuster completely intact because if they weaken it now, what's to stop the next Republican majority from abolishing it completely?

If we allow our citizens to sue sovereign nations in civil court then we are going to look like shitbirds when we inevitably don't allow other nations to do likewise to us. Nothing is stopping other countries from passing similar laws besides strong international norms. Norms which we have just broken.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

The Kingfish posted:

we are going to look like shitbirds

I have bad news

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
you can always look more shitbird

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah it's not like America is at a net zero for international esteem, we aren't North Korea; It can definitely get worse.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

litigation will stop all wars from now on

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I haven't decided if this bill passing is a good thing or not. But I'm glad Obama vetoed it since he is obviously against it.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karl Barks posted:

litigation will stop all wars from now on

In the year 2001 all wars will be fought in courts. *gets out laser gavels and death rays*

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Powercrazy posted:

I haven't decided if this bill passing is a good thing or not. But I'm glad Obama vetoed it since he is obviously against it.

It is very good if you like things that gently caress over the US State without killing anyone.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to see Dick Cheney brought before a jury of his peers.

The Not Guilty verdict will be read in the most monotone Kissinger voice ever.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

Yeah I'm sure Obama is really scared that a government is going to publicly detain a former President of the United States of America, thus literally starting a war, but only because this bill passed which allowed someone to sue the Saudis

"Putting the former US President on trial for war crimes against his will" is like killing Franz Ferdinand times a billion, if you're insane enough to do it, you're almost definitely not the head of state of an important country and you'd do it regardless of whether or not this bill passes

This is ignoring the fact that this bill allows private citizens to sue countries, not former heads of state, so it doesn't set anything like the precedent required to put Obama on trial

Nothing in your post is true at all, Obama isn't concerned about his personal well-being and ability to travel freely, he's concerned about his reputation and legacy

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 06:34 on Oct 4, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

First off these are civil suits that we are talking about. Second, it's hardly a far stretch from suing governments to suing chief executives.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

First off these are civil suits that we are talking about. Second, it's hardly a far stretch from suing governments to suing chief executives.

Exactly, they're civil suits against countries. Going from civil suits against countries to suits against former heads of state is an immense leap. A government detaining a former foreign head of state in order to facilitate those trials is an even huger immense leap. When that head of state is the former President, still operating under the protection of the American government via the Secret Service, it's a huge leap that lands in getting your country invaded. The action you're proposing Obama fears (a foreign government detaining him in order to try him for war crimes) is so incredibly far from the precedent set by this bill that any country willing to do so (maybe North Korea) would still do so regardless of this bill's passage or failure.

Something Obama actually does have to worry about is a bunch of people suing the US government for droning innocents during his Presidency, doing damage to his public reputation.

Also, how long until the first 'Let's sue the Saudis' kickstarter

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Oct 4, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Robot assassins are cool and good but civil suits against a sitting government, that's a dangerous precedent right there.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Something Obama actually does have to worry about is a bunch of people suing the US government for droning innocents during his Presidency, doing damage to his public reputation.

noooooo not his public reputation

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Helsing posted:

Robot assassins are cool and good but civil suits against a sitting government, that's a dangerous precedent right there.

i like how it's cool and good that even the police are using robot assasins

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Thread title should really read: "You too can sue America for any legitimate reason!"

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Karl Barks posted:

noooooo not his public reputation

breaking news: politicians puts reputation above public good

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
somehow I doubt that obama secretly believes that this is actually in the public interest but wants to stop it for his reputation's sake

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

somehow I doubt that obama secretly believes that this is actually in the public interest but wants to stop it for his reputation's sake

my point is that he certainly doesn't want to stop it because he's worried that he's going to be arrested for war crimes, which would be like the assassination of franz ferdinand times a billion

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I disagree. There are so many potential lawsuits that could be brought against the US that Obama was trying to save the country billions if not trillions of dollars, plus XXXXX hours of court preparation.

Eg: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

FuhrerHat posted:

I disagree. There are so many potential lawsuits that could be brought against the US that Obama was trying to save the country billions if not trillions of dollars, plus XXXXX hours of court preparation.

Eg: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

It's unclear what the Bhopal disaster has to do with people potentially suing the US for acts of international terrorism

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Bhopal? I love drag race!!!!!!

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Al! posted:

Bhopal? I love drag race!!!!!!

You're confusing Bhopal with Ron Paul

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It's unclear what the Bhopal disaster has to do with people potentially suing the US for acts of international terrorism

Overstepping international courts to sue individuals or governments from other countries gives precedent to cases like Bhopal which have traditionally been using the exact same counterargument as to why they can not be prosecuted/extradited.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

But you're also right that a lot of drone strike victims may suddenly find themselves mysteriously contacted by internationally recognized lawyers who smell a lucrative opportunity.

And then there's the whole "Illegal Invasion" of Iraq thing. Sounds pretty expensive to defend in court.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

FuhrerHat posted:

But you're also right that a lot of drone strike victims may suddenly find themselves mysteriously contacted by internationally recognized lawyers who smell a lucrative opportunity.

And then there's the whole "Illegal Invasion" of Iraq thing. Sounds pretty expensive to defend in court.

First those foreign countries have to pass their own laws to allow suing the US in their own courts, which they always could've done if they'd wanted. They haven't, and they won't, because passing a "gently caress the United States" bill (which such a bill obviously would be) is a really really bad idea so long as the United States remains the world's most powerful and important country

As someone who would love to see the United States get sued for terrible military actions across the globe, even with rich people to play the Peter Thiels to the Hulk Hogans of Iraq and Afghanistan, it seems very unlikely for the same reasons that the United States hasn't faced international repercussions in the past

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Well, it probably would ruin his reputation at Davos if people started thinking he secretly believed in something as fuzzy headed and ridiculous as "the public interest".

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Helsing posted:

Well, it probably would ruin his reputation at Davos if people started thinking he secretly believed in something as fuzzy headed and ridiculous as "the public interest".

This 'public interest' thing doesn't sound very pragmatic to me.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

EngineerSean posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103#Compensation

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Nice, another nail in the coffin of American hegemony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

EngineerSean posted:

The worry is more about American diplomats, businesspeople, spooks, agents, etc running into legal trouble rather than the government proper

E.g. US security contractors botching a job will have to worry about litigation in multiple countries now

As with many other aspects of the Congress, it is a bit embarrassing to see it legislate away the norms that the US had built and got the rest of the world onboard with..

• Locked thread