Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Man Musk posted:

The worry is more about American diplomats, businesspeople, spooks, agents, etc running into legal trouble rather than the government proper

lol noway.

Saudi Arabia got multiple Iraq wars and US protection of its oil interests, and now they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off because a team of lawyers are going to crawl up their assholes with flashlights? Please.

Good work Obama & Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Wyld Thang posted:

lol noway.

Saudi Arabia got multiple Iraq wars and US protection of its oil interests, and now they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off because a team of lawyers are going to crawl up their assholes with flashlights? Please.

Good work Obama & Congress.

You seem a bit... misinformed. Obama and Congress are not working together on JASTA.

In other news, it's happening: https://www.rt.com/usa/361518-iraq-invasion-compensation-jasta/

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
litigating against what would effectively be an act of war by another state(if proven true, ofc) is extremely American

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
many lolz at the notion that the saudi intelligence service would submit to discovery of proof that they did 9/11 tho

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Saudi Department of State irrefutably proves that Bush did 9/11 in discovery.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EngineerSean posted:

Somebody help me out here. This sets a dangerous precedent because if the US government allows US citizens to sue foreign governments in US courts, foreign governments will allow foreign citizens to sue the US government in foreign courts? What was stopping these foreign governments from allowing their citizens to sue the US government before this? Just the idea that we would retaliate by allowing our citizens to sue their governments in the future? Are there any governments which have allowed their citizens to sue the US government in the recent past, and we're just ignoring them? Is this the same general idea behind Democrats keeping the filibuster completely intact because if they weaken it now, what's to stop the next Republican majority from abolishing it completely?

I suspect one party or another will eventually abolish the filibuster when they calculate that their losses in the next election will be outweighed by whatever they can achieve during that session.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuhrerHat posted:

You seem a bit... misinformed. Obama and Congress are not working together on JASTA.

In other news, it's happening: https://www.rt.com/usa/361518-iraq-invasion-compensation-jasta/

They can be paid out of that sweet Iraqi Oil Money fund that Cheney promised would pay for the war.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

many lolz at the notion that the saudi intelligence service would submit to discovery of proof that they did 9/11 tho

I saw an ad looking for folks to do doc review for a firm repping the saudi government on some kind of suit like this so who knows!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I saw an ad looking for folks to do doc review for a firm repping the saudi government on some kind of suit like this so who knows!
lol never mind. saudi arabia is hosed

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Gonna be awkward when the Saudis triple tap bomb opposing law firms when these cases start up

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

lol never mind. saudi arabia is hosed

i didnt answer the ad so they may still have hope

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot
We are going to be flooded with lawsuits imo. Travel carefully folks. Also, try not to be black while traveling internationally. Oh wait...

Learn new languages and try not to be forthcoming about being American?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Helsing posted:

Robot assassins are cool and good but civil suits against a sitting government, that's a dangerous precedent right there.

its the thin end of the wedge

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Princess Di posted:

We are going to be flooded with lawsuits imo. Travel carefully folks. Also, try not to be black while traveling internationally. Oh wait...

Thanks for confirming this was all just a dumb scare tactic.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

EngineerSean posted:

Thanks for confirming this was all just a dumb scare tactic.

How am I confirming that? Are you saying the bill itself was a scare tactic? It appears to actually be a political stunt to look well meaning right before the election?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
There's no place in the world where it was previously safe to be forthcoming about being an American and now is less safe due to this bill passing.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Princess Di posted:

Just say you're an Alaskan, works for me and my friends.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Just say you're an Alaskan, works for me and my friends.

:monar:

I don't like the cold at all but I can pass myself off as eccentrically averse to temperatures I should theoretically be used to. I've seen people from cold rear end Canada who don't like the cold so I think it should be fine.

Good tip!

EngineerSean posted:

There's no place in the world where it was previously safe to be forthcoming about being an American and now is less safe due to this bill passing.

My point is I don't know that yet. Also, I don't know if that's true specifically for me and people like me yet. After all, if anyone can get sued at any time for false war crime charges, I'm sure that I will have to review my travel plans.

Tl;dr

I'm not trying to scare anyone, I'm just concerned for myself and others like me, because we tend to get falsely accused of stuff. Pretty much everywhere. I don't know if you knew this already.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
"I don't know how this will end up or how other countries will react to it but all I do know is that Americans are less safe now!"

The very definition of concern trolling.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

EngineerSean posted:

"I don't know how this will end up or how other countries will react to it but all I do know is that Americans are less safe now!"

That's a narrative you're fond of isn't it?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

EngineerSean posted:

America is going to lose some face on the international scene and it's gonna be awesome.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Can't even believe that a bill that initially passed unanimously, with every Democrat in the Senate and House of Representatives voting for it, and then overwhelmingly passing the two thirds requirement to override a veto, allowing the largely symbolic act of giving families the ability to sue over state-sponsored terror, is going to make Americans less safe. Can't even believe that poster Princess Di can shake his/her head disapprovingly and type, "Oh, sure I don't know what it'll do, but Obama said it's bad and therefore I'm scared for my safety" and not get laughed out of here. That's Something Awful in 2016 for you though.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

EngineerSean posted:

Can't even believe that a bill that initially passed unanimously, with every Democrat in the Senate and House of Representatives voting for it, and then overwhelmingly passing the two thirds requirement to override a veto, allowing the largely symbolic act of giving families the ability to sue over state-sponsored terror, is going to make Americans less safe. Can't even believe that poster Princess Di can shake his/her head disapprovingly and type, "Oh, sure I don't know what it'll do, but Obama said it's bad and therefore I'm scared for my safety" and not get laughed out of here. That's Something Awful in 2016 for you though.

really makes u think

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Princess Di posted:

My point is I don't know that yet. Also, I don't know if that's true specifically for me and people like me yet. After all, if anyone can get sued at any time for false war crime charges, I'm sure that I will have to review my travel plans.

You can't be sued because of the bill, because it only applies to foreign states, not individuals.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Princess Di, if a foreign government was going to imprison you in order to take action against the United States, it was going to do so regardless of your race and it was going to do so regardless of this bill

Black people face a lot of terrible treatment around the world, but I can't see how that intersects with a country like Iran or North Korea furthering international pariah status by holding American hostages - and I especially can't see how that intersection, as narrow as it would have to be, would be bolstered by this piece of legislation which is basically just "A Resolution To Tell Saudi Arabia that We're Displeased, But Not Enough To Do Anything About It Or Stop Funding Your War Crimes In Yemen, Just Enough That We Will Allow Some Americans To Sue You If It Helps Our Re-Election Campaigns"

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 22:07 on Oct 14, 2016

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol at any individual american who thinks this jeopardizes their personal safety

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The argument that this bill is retarded is not about personal safety. The reason why this bill is dumb is 1. No foreign state is going to pay a citizen of another country 2. This means that to get awarded stuff the country that hosted the trial will need to seize assets that the sued country had in the host country 3. This then leads to a cycle of retaliation.

It's one of those feel good bills that at best does nothing and at worst makes a problem worse instead of better.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

The argument that this bill is retarded is not about personal safety.

Maybe not for you, but Princess Di was literally talking about their personal safety concerns:

Princess Di posted:

After all, if anyone can get sued at any time for false war crime charges, I'm sure that I will have to review my travel plans.

And The Kingfish was concerned for the personal safety of the President:

The Kingfish posted:

Obama is not concern trolling. This law could potentially make it difficult for him to travel abroad in the future.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Maybe not for you, but Princess Di was literally talking about their personal safety concerns:

Well I can tell you right now almost none of the people who voted for the bill read past the "9/11" part of it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I said it could potentially make things difficult for him in the future.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

I said it could potentially make things difficult for him in the future.

which is insane, because this is a bill that allows US citizens to sue countries that committed terrorist acts, which is miles away from a country imprisoning/stopping the travel/doing whatever to the ex-president of the world's most powerful country

Venom Snake posted:

Well I can tell you right now almost none of the people who voted for the bill read past the "9/11" part of it.

Okay?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

which is insane, because this is a bill that allows US citizens to sue countries that committed terrorist acts, which is miles away from a country imprisoning/stopping the travel/doing whatever to the ex-president of the world's most powerful country

It's a law that fucks around with the international precedent for sovereign immunity from civil liability & Obama is a man who commits a lot of terrorism.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

It's a law that fucks around with the international precedent for sovereign immunity from civil liability & Obama is a man who commits a lot of terrorism.

In a world that cares about applying international law to America, Obama has those issues regardless of this bill. We live in a world that doesn't care about applying international law to America, the world's most powerful country, so Obama won't have any issues regardless of this bill

Especially because a country's civil liability has nothing to do with the freedom and ability of its ex-head of state to travel freely, unless you're worried that some Pakistani court is going to successfully subpoena Barack Obama himself

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

In a world that cares about applying international law to America, Obama has those issues regardless of this bill. We live in a world that doesn't care about applying international law to America, the world's most powerful country, so Obama won't have any issues regardless of this bill

Especially because a country's civil liability has nothing to do with the freedom and ability of its ex-head of state to travel freely, unless you're worried that some Pakistani court is going to successfully subpoena Barack Obama himself

"The world" is not limited to the US and its allies.

I meant difficulty media wise. As in it would be really bad and awkward for Obama if he was traveling abroad and got served by some Yemeni expat.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

"The world" is not limited to the US and its allies.

I meant difficulty media wise. As in it would be really bad and awkward for Obama if he was traveling abroad and got served by some Yemeni expat.

This bill allows people to sue countries, not former heads of state. it's literally more plausible that obama is served in the sense that he gets horribly beaten in a dance-off than that he is served in the sense that someone tries to sue him and anyone cares

Here are the facts: Obama isn't going to get sued, he's always going to be protested, this bill doesn't change those things. He doesn't like the bill because it hurts the US-Saudi Arabia relationship, there's no need to make it some concern about his personal ability to travel

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ken Bone is still probably a better person than all of us.

Edit: wrong thread

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

On topic: rationally, this bill probably isn't a good thing, but it's hard not to laugh at the embarrassment it's causing self-interested demagogue lawmakers and will eventually cause our bully country.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Just a heads up that the US has bilateral agreements with many countries on this sort of matter

The concern is that the bill makes it very easy for partners to back out of such agreements should the day come when tit-for-tat measures are taken

Diplomacy is played on 2 levels - domestic and international

Keep in mind that the President and Congress are coming from two entirely different angles and are working different jobs with different motivations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jewel Repetition posted:

Ken Bone is still probably a better person than all of us.

Edit: wrong thread

This is the right post for every thread.

• Locked thread