Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Hey, found footage thread: Watch Hi, Mom! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn16wo58MWY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe he needed his brother all along...

Yo both Dowdles made Poughkeepsie Tapes, Devil, and Quarantine iirc

I know for sure they did Poughkeepsie Tapes

Which is a movie I find insanely effective for how low budget and bad most of it is. My favorite scene that nobody's mentioned is either when he's hiding in the girls house leading to that great shot where he hits a dimmer switch and you see him materialize in the reflection off the window or the one with the girl scouts where you find out the table he's been using this whole scene is the girl with a sheet over her

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yo both Dowdles made Poughkeepsie Tapes, Devil, and Quarantine iirc

I know for sure they did Poughkeepsie Tapes

Which is a movie I find insanely effective for how low budget and bad most of it is. My favorite scene that nobody's mentioned is either when he's hiding in the girls house leading to that great shot where he hits a dimmer switch and you see him materialize in the reflection off the window or the one with the girl scouts where you find out the table he's been using this whole scene is the girl with a sheet over her

these are both great scenes and there's a really good movie buried in there

I love the Poughkeepsie Tapes, even its flaws and I love the theory that the documentary itself is made by the super villain

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The end of To Jennifer was a bomb rear end short film kinda like if you cut home movie to just the parents talking to the camera and beyond

The beginning was slow and nothing really happens to build towards the end until the last three scenes but drat those last few scenes are dope

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0762111/ In the later part of this Documentary is literally found footage. All of the people filming and most of the people being filmed die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5tpQcbyvK0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You can stop watching Marble Hornets at the end of season 2, because nothing after that will satisfy or even entertain you.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Hey, found footage friends, guess what I just spent my B&N gift cards on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGm9o37BNjM

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Snow On Tha Bluff rules so hard. Top 5 FF

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I just wanna say that The Visit is awesome and good and well worth the free Cinemax trial on Prime.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

DangerDummy! posted:

While I mostly enjoyed how Marble Hornets wrapped up in the last 10 episodes, what I ended up completely hating was the constant wet coughing and ragged, phlegmy breathing. It actually got bad enough that I had to stop listening on headphones. I'm really not so delicate when it comes to human noises, but holy Christ it was just never ending and it started making nauseous.

It was part of the story they were trying to tell and everything, but it became too much fairly quickly.

As someone that liked the idea of what they were trying to do but never managed to watch the entire series, can you sum up the series and the ending?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Hey, found footage friends, guess what I just spent my B&N gift cards on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGm9o37BNjM

K., did you like it?

Ineffiable posted:

As someone that liked the idea of what they were trying to do but never managed to watch the entire series, can you sum up the series and the ending?

Basically Slenderman is similar to Freddy in that his power comes from people believing in him. Alex reveals towards the end that he wanted to kill anyone aware of the Operator's existence so it'll prevent the Operator (slenderman) from having any power. Brian was the guy in the mask. Tim is the only one left standing at the end.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 5, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

MacheteZombie posted:

K., did you like it?

I've seen it already and yeah, I liked it a lot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

I just wanna say that The Visit is awesome and good and well worth the free Cinemax trial on Prime.

the visit is trash with a barely believable handwave for why this found footage movie shot by a child is framed so perfectly

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the visit is trash with a barely believable handwave for why this found footage movie shot by a child is framed so perfectly

I guess one could say it's a commentary on the self-absorption of the younger generation, that the two leads can go three days without looking for pictures of their grandparents, or pictures of their mom with their grandparents (that's kinda why they went?), or even trying to get help when it was clear that these people were not able to take care of themselves.

There were a lot of logic hurdles you had to turn a blind eye towards, and the ending betrays the body of the movie as the dementia and senility of the old couple turns into malicious antagonism and the children are ultimately rewarded for their inattentiveness, and have no lament for the loss of their grandparents, or of their own innocence.

At the end, I thought it was a pretty gross exploitation of the fragility of old people and the utter disregard by those closest to them backed up by the brother still being self-absorbed while rapping over the end credits.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I like it because it reminds me of me when I was a kid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

How dare you.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

x2

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I don't even care for The Visit, I just think A Girl Like Her and The Taking of Deborah Logan are a little more lively - but its "AV Club" aesthetic is spot-on in terms of how the director is characterized.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

K. Waste posted:

its "AV Club" aesthetic is spot-on in terms of how the director is characterized.
Maybe it's because I haven't watched The Visit yet, but can you elaborate on what you mean here?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Xenomrph posted:

Maybe it's because I haven't watched The Visit yet, but can you elaborate on what you mean here?

What Dickeye sees as the unrealistically "perfect framing" of the child protagonist's footage is just standard aesthetics commenting upon subjective. The character is an introverted perfectionist attempting to project herself upon "the real world." It's not like any of the photography in The Visit is particularly picturesque, but I don't think a spunky protagonist being "unrealistically" prodigious with a tripod is an appalling negative quality as Dickeye makes it out to be.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That's funny because after that movie was over I was thinking there was only one memorable shot in the movie, the shot of the train leaving the terminal and the mom trying to keep pace with the window.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ya'll weren't lil filmmakers when you were kids I take it.

My first movie with my camera was called The Evil Coconut and it was shot exactly like The Evil Dead where I spun the coconut on a string to make it look like this shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gry51PjxQOE&t=20s

I should re-watch The Visit again. That was a blast.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
In high school I made a movie where I had to track down a bomb hidden in my school, but I failed, so the ending was the bomb blowing up. I spliced in footage of a building exploding from some action movie, followed by the blast wave leveling the city from Terminator 2, followed by the planet blowing up from the beginning scene of Star Trek 6. It owned.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
Not sure if anybody else was interested in this one, but the found footage film Be My Cat: A Film for Anne was finally released on Vimeo. It's pretty well done!

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/bemycat/191612043

(Pretty sure this doesn't count as :filez: since it's linking to where you can buy it...)

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Recent FF I've watched.

Megan is Missing is disturbing as gently caress if you can make it through the first 45 minutes.

Hell House LLC was decent but forgettable. They build it up to be this shocking movie but it just ends like any other FF film.

The Triangle was kind of lame but goes in a weird direction. A cult moves to the desert because they were called there by a T-Rex skull with a diamond tooth.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It could still turn out to be bad, but keep an eye on Resident Evil 7. It could turn out to be a FF masterpiece.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

It could still turn out to be bad, but keep an eye on Resident Evil 7. It could turn out to be a FF masterpiece.

Where does Michigan: Report from Hell stand?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hat Thoughts posted:

What a great title, reminds me of Wisconsin Death Trip. Tell me more

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It's one of those weird experiments Japanese devs used to make back in PSX and PS2 days but ultimately boring; in this case you control a cameraman and your news team is being attacked by monster and stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen this, the full movie is on YouTube as well. It's really good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

A good experiment and a bad game. Siren series has a strong FF vibe and is a much better game.

DeimosRising posted:

What a great title, reminds me of Wisconsin Death Trip. Tell me more

It's the lost Suda51 game.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

A good experiment and a bad game. Siren series has a strong FF vibe and is a much better game.

It's the lost Suda51 game.

Ah right. That rings a very faint bell

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Ah right. That rings a very faint bell

It's one of those games that got like 5,000 copies pressed.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah it's such a cool idea, playing the entire game through a camera viewfinder & decisions being based on what you focus on/the consequences playing out with the newscaster you're with. But also ya its not where you'd want it to be

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Siren games are excellent, in fact I'd say they're all better than any Silent Hill bar 2.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Another YTOTD ended up being another prototypical 'found footage' movie - the made-for-TV mockumentary The Return of Bruno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gFKsXv5XlI

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Along those lines, I swear before Allah there was a Chris Gaines mockumentary. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Along those lines, I swear before Allah there was a Chris Gaines mockumentary. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

It was an episode of Behind the Music. I think there was supposed to be a theatrical movie too, and it was called Lamb which made me wonder if Garth Brooks was a big Genesis fan.

Edit: behold https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N51TzUWMvrs

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yes! Thank you.

Not even 10 seconds in and I'm laughing my fuckin' head off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yes! Thank you.

Not even 10 seconds in and I'm laughing my fuckin' head off.

I remember visiting my grandma and she watched this and was like, cocaine has just destroyed that boy's mind.

Oh my god his zebra shirt and the thing he does with his hands in front of his face. Ben Stiller watched his on loop, no way Zoolander or Tony Wonder exist without this.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 13, 2016

• Locked thread