Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you were rich as hell off a couple of songs, wouldn't you do weird poo poo like this? I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you were rich as hell off a couple of songs, wouldn't you do weird poo poo like this? I would.

Absolutely. I love that in order to humanize his even more famouser superstar alter ego, he was like, he needs a flaw...maybe...he fucks TOO much?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Turtleneck too tight??

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Turtleneck too tight??

Which is why his face is stuck like that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yes! Thank you.

Not even 10 seconds in and I'm laughing my fuckin' head off.

Too bad the music wasn't better, because Garth Brooks doing Chris Gaines was decades ahead of its time and legit brilliant.

Except, you know, the songs just weren't any good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I gotta think the awful songs are part of the joke. I mean, look how the thing starts off. OTOH, he did legitimately put out an album. I wonder how they took that when he pitched this idea, did he go to the record label, put his dick on the table and say "I'm Frank Zappa now!"

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

I gotta think the awful songs are part of the joke. I mean, look how the thing starts off. OTOH, he did legitimately put out an album. I wonder how they took that when he pitched this idea, did he go to the record label, put his dick on the table and say "I'm Frank Zappa now!"

After watching the beginning I'm fairly certain that this is exactly how it all went down

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

DeimosRising posted:

It was an episode of Behind the Music. I think there was supposed to be a theatrical movie too, and it was called Lamb which made me wonder if Garth Brooks was a big Genesis fan.

Edit: behold https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N51TzUWMvrs

My God.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I think you're right, which only makes it funnier that his fans took the Chris Gaines thing entirely (too) seriously.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Didn't he actually get a musical guest spot on SNL once, in-character? Or was he hosting as himself and the character was the musical guest?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

He hosted and Gaines was the guest and what the gently caress is anything.

The project apparently has Brooks first and only top 40 hit.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Garth Brooks' SNL appearance as Chris Gaines was the climax in the Chris Gaines joke. He outed himself as Garth Brooks and revealed that he only did the Chris Gaines thing as a way to get Mango (played by Chris Kattan) back.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Oh that's fantastic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My wife no poo poo for realsies loves Chris Gaines. I think it's because of his Zoolanderesque appearance, but the music isn't half bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

one of my coworkers mentioned at lunch her wedding song or whatever was a chris gaines's song and i couldn't help but go "that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard". it was like a reflex.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My takeaway from Chris Gaines was that it was intended to be funny but not in the way it is actually funny.

Has there ever been an interview where Brooks talks about it in depth, because it remains one of the weirdest things ever.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

veni veni veni posted:

My takeaway from Chris Gaines was that it was intended to be funny but not in the way it is actually funny.

Has there ever been an interview where Brooks talks about it in depth, because it remains one of the weirdest things ever.

What way do you think it was intended to be funny?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not 100% sure as I'm not a Chris Gaines scholar, but Garth Brooks seems like a pretty down to earth and funny (well maybe in a dad humor way) guy. I assume he was taking the piss for the most part and it wasn't just like, his ego run amok. But he also had an exceedingly lame idea of what a cool rock star was, which is what I find funny.

Who knows though. The whole thing has always been sort of baffling to me.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not 100% sure as I'm not a Chris Gaines scholar, but Garth Brooks seems like a pretty down to earth and funny (well maybe in a dad humor way) guy. I assume he was taking the piss for the most part and it wasn't just like, his ego run amok. But he also had an exceedingly lame idea of what a cool rock star was, which is what I find funny.

I just think he was probably aware that it was sort of lame and dad's idea of cool, even though to be fair it's easy to think of a lot of equally lame real male pop stars who have been huge successes. The maroon five guy for example.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

It's not good bruh. I wanted it to be good believe me but it's not

Watching it and realizing that it was going to be a found footage movie that didn't use any of the aesthetic trappings or like advantages or whatever of the format was just the first step on the road to disappointment

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Books On Tape posted:

Recent FF I've watched.

Megan is Missing is disturbing as gently caress if you can make it through the first 45 minutes.

Hell House LLC was decent but forgettable. They build it up to be this shocking movie but it just ends like any other FF film.

The Triangle was kind of lame but goes in a weird direction. A cult moves to the desert because they were called there by a T-Rex skull with a diamond tooth.

Megan is missing is like 90 percent boring garbage and ten percent the director jacking off gently caress that movie

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

a found footage movie that didn't use any of the aesthetic trappings or like advantages or whatever of the format

This has been a canard + an overly limited understanding of the aesthetic trappings or like advantages or whatever of the format every time you've mentioned it though, friend Dickeye. Found footages that use primarily use cameras held by 'narrator' characters (as opposed to like, the surveillance supercut that forms the backbone of Paranormal Activity) allow for shots to be grounded in the emotional perspectives of that narrator character. A lot of the time that's as simple as "this is a horror movie and the person holding the camera is freaking the gently caress out", so the formal trappings/advantages/whatever of the genre tend to get represented as like, jittery movements and jerky pans help sell paranoia and terror, a deeply limited perspective helps create the tension and frame management that go into a good jump scare, and so on

But it's also obviously like, the way a character diegetically shoots something is itself an exercise in fleshing out that character. So the fact that we're relating that shooting style to the sister's particular neuroses is already proof that the film is making visual use of its form, though not necessarily proof that it's making good visual use - I mean, the whole "man why u use a camera to create distance between urself and those around u" poo poo was more than plonky enough in Chronicle. I think what makes it work so much for me in The Visit, though, is how there's a clever and surprisingly endearing thematic interplay between the kind of movie that the sister was trying to make vs. the kind she ended up making. There's a lot of didactic sympathy in the act of pulling apart her need to hammer things into the shape of an uplifting closure, with the mom's (grainy, shaky, mostly off-screen) failure at myth-making her own week's vacation serving as the less formally-micromanaged parallel

It's important to note as well though that the movie isn't just performing blanket criticism of the sister's urge to make things around her fictive - it was wrong of her specifically to try and make this weekend into such a staid and saccharine story of family redemption, and your noting of the grotesque formal/tonal mismatch is dead-on in that sense - but it's also totally appropriate, and super sweet, for the whole thing to wrap up with some corny rear end bars giving us a synopsis of the plot we just saw. Shyamalan has no beef with the core concept of that attempt to re-frame trauma into something more effable, he's just offering a thoughtful caution on the pitfalls of its potential applications as coping mechanism

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's the thing tho it feels like just a handwave. Like to me it honestly feels like that aspect of shooting informed the character instead of the other way around and that's kinda the opposite of the point

All y'all Visit Stans are nuts

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also full disclosure I read about an eighth of that post because my brain started sliding off of it like it was made of Teflon because I'm bored a f at work and dying

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The sister in The Visit stated at the beginning that she basically wanted to make an emotionally exploitative doc, and she ultimately succeeds, just not in the way she thought, and the sacrifice of those she was already willing to exploit carries no emotional weight for her other than the threat to her immediate quality of life, so there really is no arc for her either, as she succeeds in what she wanted to from the start.

It kinda carries the same exploitative themes as Don't Breathe, where the female protagonist willingly sacrifices her followers for monetary gain.

I personally didn't like either movie, I'd put them up there with other opposite end culturally exploitative films like Captain Phillips and American Sniper.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 19, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The difference is Don't Breathe is good

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, and The Visit is great!!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

It was good enough that it made Goodnight Mommy, which was theoretically a good movie, redundant to have in 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Angel posted:

It was good enough that it made Goodnight Mommy, which was theoretically a good movie, redundant to have in 2015

That movie was okay at best. Better than the Visit tho

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Opposite Day is next week

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Jenny Angel posted:

Interesting view. What do you feel these movies have in common?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

At the time, he said that Chris Gaines was a reaction to Nirvana. The band, Nirvana. So. There you go, question mark?

e: Goodnight Mommy was like the most awesome horror movie I watched last year, what are you guys smoking because it's clearly better than what I have

precision fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 19, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

At the time, he said that Chris Gaines was a reaction to Nirvana. The band, Nirvana. So. There you go, question mark?

If that's the case I guess I was pretty spot on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What was the name of the found footage movie where some kids are exploring missing hikers on a snowy mountain (in Russia maybe?) ?

I actually really enjoyed it but everyone else seemed to hate it when it came up in the Netflix thread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Devil's Pass, by none other than Renny Harlin.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Devil's Pass, by none other than Renny Harlin.

oh poo poo word? i keep skipping that because boy howdy found footage dyatlov pass but if it's renny harlin i'll give it a shot

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought it was paced a lot better than most found footage horror movies and really did a good job of ramping up the mystery and suspense. Unfortunately it totally blows it's load at the end like most of them do but I still thought it was a really fun watch.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The 3rd act of Devil's Pass is goofy as hell but it's pretty good up until then. Bad CGI Gollums and a magic caveman Stargate kinda ruined it for me, plus like a 10 minute conversation in front of it that kills the pacing of the end. It has its moments though.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Megan is missing is like 90 percent boring garbage and ten percent the director jacking off gently caress that movie

It's also one of the worst-made movies I've ever seen and not in the funny entertaining way. But I'd wager it's way more than 10% of the director jacking off.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 20, 2016

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

oh poo poo word? i keep skipping that because boy howdy found footage dyatlov pass but if it's renny harlin i'll give it a shot

Renny Harlin is a selling point for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

Renny Harlin is a selling point for you?

Not on his own but combined with a dumb premise absolutely

• Locked thread