Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Reposting this here:

How much should window tinting cost? I just got a quote for $390 for a Cayman S for 3M Color stable tint, which seems expensive for a car with 2 windows and a hatch. Anyone have suggestions for decent tint?

Edit: Just got quoted 270 for Llumar Ceramic. That sounds better I think?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There has never been anything interesting on that turd of a site and the comments section is even more of a sewer than Youtube. And also given it's Gawker (or was)..... yeah gently caress that I aint given them clicks
Sometimes Jalopnik puts me onto something... Because I missed it on one of the Cool Kids sources two days previously. They're an aggregator site, really, I don't begrudge them getting their cut of pointing people toward stuff that they may not pick up on.

I don't really have much awareness of other Gawker sites other than what people I know post on facebook etc, which is usually io9 (not too bad) and Jezebel (lol nope).

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Fred watching the cat watch something else.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

slidebite posted:

I've see stoplights too when I was in socal and thought it was a good idea. Seems to make sense in heavy traffic situations as it gives the main traffic room to absorb a single car as opposed to an endless stream of traffic. Plus in my experience people run red lights less than stop signs.
It has benefits, but its also hell for the people trying to get onto the freeway.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Watching Need for Speed because it's stupid and fun and the cars make nice noises.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There has never been anything interesting on that turd of a site and the comments section is even more of a sewer than Youtube. And also given it's Gawker (or was)..... yeah gently caress that I aint given them clicks

Deadspin did an amazing expose on my city's mayor's taste for young girls (he's a former basketball star who also runs a local charter school).
I was pretty impressed, and it was picked up by most of the mainstream media.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

Deadspin did an amazing expose on my city's mayor's taste for young girls (he's a former basketball star who also runs a local charter school).

Deadspin also exposed me to Albert Burneko and his delightful food-cooking knowledge.

http://deadspin.com/the-foodspin-archive-1562788149

quote:

So, look. You've probably eaten lots of things in your life. Stands to reason, right? I mean, unless you're the readingest infant who ever lived, then either you have eaten thousands upon thousands of things in your life or you're the readingest ghost who ever unlived. Many of the things you have eaten were probably very tasty. Delicious, even. This goddamn peach cobbler with vanilla loving ice cream—hot and sweet and tart, then crumbly and crispy and salty, then cool and creamy and sweet, all the while rich and gooey and somehow just a little bit indecent ... maybe it's not the single tastiest thing you have ever eaten. But, then, why are you rubbing handfuls of it on your chest? Why are you crouched over the empty baking pan, sobbing uncontrollably? Are you always like this?

Weirdo. Make another one. Your guests would like some, too.

quote:

So you've decided to end your life, or at least the segment of your life during which you could walk from here to there without your chest making sounds like a whirring blender full of silverware. Because that is the only conceivable reason why you would choose to make Alfredo sauce, which, scientifically speaking, is precisely as nutritious a thing to insert into your digestive system as a motorized hedge-trimmer.

Also Jalopnik posted my stuff on the front page from time to time which got both angry comments from Viper owners and confused comments from everyone else.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 1, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I do not have a dog. However, my parents have a dog. He's really sweet, but also really, really stupid.

I hang out with an old roommate occasionally. His dog IVs meth and never ever runs out of energy (or jumping ability) - this was about half a second before my babymaker caught a paw last week.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I'm so over this hospital malarkey. Missus initially got told surgery Wednesday, discharge Thursday. Then it became discharged on Friday, then Saturday morning. Discharge times 10am, I've been here since 9am and it's currently 11:30. Slowly watching the dollars click up on the parking fee and we can't do anything until the doctor (who said "see you in the morning!" last night) gets here cos shes still got the drain in the wound and an IV port in her arm.

She's over it and getting bruises from the lovely hard hospital beds. We just want to go home :(

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
This is the right thread for the "gently caress 20XX" Right? Cause gently caress 2016.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Ferremit posted:

I'm so over this hospital malarkey. Missus initially got told surgery Wednesday, discharge Thursday. Then it became discharged on Friday, then Saturday morning. Discharge times 10am, I've been here since 9am and it's currently 11:30. Slowly watching the dollars click up on the parking fee and we can't do anything until the doctor (who said "see you in the morning!" last night) gets here cos shes still got the drain in the wound and an IV port in her arm.

She's over it and getting bruises from the lovely hard hospital beds. We just want to go home :(

Think of it like this... how much is the whole ordeal costing you out of pocket? You could be in the US....

Hope they get you sorted soon!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I feel like a complete rear end in a top hat. I had a long series of difficult and/or lovely customers earlier today, which left me pretty salty when the dealership I bought the 6 wagon from in june called me offering to schedule me for a service (that I would be paying for). There is a poor girl there that got an earfull about the fact that the car smokes randomly on startup, the radio had the amp and sub taken out with loose power wire shorting out on the floor of the vehicle and how there was no way in hell I was driving 70 miles to let some half trained lube monkey with his head up his rear end put his dirty dickbeaters on my car to put whatever bargain basement oil and filter they get from the auto parts store down the corner in it. And to top off the acting like a shitbag, I ended the call with that stupidly false cheerful voice I get when dealing with customers like I was being. I know better than to poo poo on someone who has nothing to do with their salesman being a shithead, but it didn't stop me. I am a terrible person. :smith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

cursedshitbox posted:

This is the right thread for the "gently caress 20XX" Right? Cause gently caress 2016.

Not a thing I like to hear, what went wrong this time CSB?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

It can be gently caress 1995 if you want it to be.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Totally going to see monster trucks tomorrow at the state fair. And by state fair I mean the small lovely one that's also at the dirt track.

And also pig races. And a petting zoo. With pygmy goats.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Think of it like this... how much is the whole ordeal costing you out of pocket? You could be in the US....

Hope they get you sorted soon!

Well off the top of my head, the room is $1100 a day, critical care was about $4800, op theatre was $2600 and our out of pocket was $500 because we're in private rather than public. If we didn't have private health it would be done for free in the public system but could be up to a 12 month delay on getting the operation

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

nm posted:

Kevin Johnson? (only ex BB player I can think of that's a Mayor)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

angryrobots posted:

That's everywhere, at least the entire east coast as well.

Although from my New England trip last year, my current opinion is that Maryland drivers are the worst. At everything.

Can confirm. Drove 6000 miles up/down east coast and across to Texas, including spending an hour to go 8 miles in maryland rush hour traffic. Driving in Maryland was a perfect metaphor for the US, everyone too focused on being 6 feet in front of everyone else to realize that if they let up for a moment and just merged smoothly we'd all be miles down the road by now

Also had this really cool dynamic speed limit system that updated a couple of times per minute and was specific to each lane to try to prevent rubberbanding. It sort of worked, but Maryland drivers.

E: I should add that with the exception of Maryland and NJ, and rush hour traffic in general, you're all better at driving than Melbourne people.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 1, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Reminder: Today you can order the LEGO Caterham kit (21307)

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

Nidhg00670000 posted:

New album out today from my favourite lady artist, and tickets for her show on Oct 31st. :woop:

emma ruth rundle?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

Yeah

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im back did i miss anything???

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Im back did i miss anything???

We all changed our names and started posting dog pics instead of cat pics
otherwise not really no

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Residency Evil posted:

Reposting this here:

How much should window tinting cost? I just got a quote for $390 for a Cayman S for 3M Color stable tint, which seems expensive for a car with 2 windows and a hatch. Anyone have suggestions for decent tint?

Edit: Just got quoted 270 for Llumar Ceramic. That sounds better I think?

Got quoted $640 for Llumar ceramic for a sedan here. Cheapest I could find too. :shrug:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

And is also apparently a grade-A piece of poo poo as a person.

Should've listened more to Barkley's "I am not a role model" bit back in the day.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is there any decent option for a garage workbench that doesn't involve 1) making it wholesale out of lumber or 2) spending hundreds of dollars for a ready-made one? Craigslist is coming up with pure crap right now.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Currently I use some old kitchen cabinet lowers I got for free (Formica is very out of style, but so far very durable). They are great storage and a good stand-up height work space.

Then I have an old, heavy as hell metal desk from the 70's, which was also free, that I use as a seated work area.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is there any decent option for a garage workbench that doesn't involve 1) making it wholesale out of lumber or 2) spending hundreds of dollars for a ready-made one? Craigslist is coming up with pure crap right now.

Don't rule out wholesale out of lumber. A few 2x4s, a sheet of plywood and an afternoon can give you a kick rear end bench.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

angryrobots posted:

Currently I use some old kitchen cabinet lowers I got for free (Formica is very out of style, but so far very durable). They are great storage and a good stand-up height work space.

Then I have an old, heavy as hell metal desk from the 70's, which was also free, that I use as a seated work area.

lol I was just about to suggest one of those old tank desks. Use it seated or rig up some iron to extend the legs. They're not hard to find for free-ninety-nine if you keep an eye out and ask around.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pham Nuwen posted:

If the garage thread is still open I made a pretty drat good workbench in about 4 hours with a sawzall, drill and a bunch of screws.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Ferremit posted:

Well off the top of my head, the room is $1100 a day, critical care was about $4800, op theatre was $2600 and our out of pocket was $500 because we're in private rather than public. If we didn't have private health it would be done for free in the public system but could be up to a 12 month delay on getting the operation

Well poo poo.. I'm bummed to hear that. They get her out today?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
My LG G4 stopped turning on. AT&T says it's eligible for warrant repair, but I had to mail it to them, wait seven to nine business days, then wait for it to return to my house. Never buying LG again. Not a dishwasher, not a TV, and certainly not a loving smart phone. God dammit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

scuz posted:

My LG G4 stopped turning on. AT&T says it's eligible for warrant repair, but I had to mail it to them, wait seven to nine business days, then wait for it to return to my house. Never buying LG again. Not a dishwasher, not a TV, and certainly not a loving smart phone. God dammit.

everything sucks and you can't buy anything from anybody.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My LG G4 fried its own firmware.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

scuz posted:

I finally gave up on android, it's not worth the hassle

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I think my Galaxy S7 has the same defect as the Galaxy Note 7. Last weekend it was overheating, restarting on its own, and wouldn't want to startup without being plugged in. Made some burning electronics smells too. Had a work emergency so for the few seconds that I could have the drat thing on I got authorized to expense a new phone so I popped over to costco and bought the no name galaxy Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. I've only had the S7 for like 3 months.

Already gave my S7 in for warranty so we'll see how long they take. The Grand Prime is a kind of a chincy phone but I guess it works and it's a smart-phone, so meh.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

I finally gave up on android, it's not worth the hassle

This will spawn productive discussion.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
The discussion should begin and end with "Its a phone, don't be so emotionally invested in this poo poo"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

1500quidporsche posted:

The discussion should begin and end with "Its a phone, don't be so emotionally invested in this poo poo"

Or "ALL phones are loving poo poo, deal with it"

I cant stand the stupidity of iOS, Android has it's own complete stupidities and the Samsung S5 I have is falling the gently caress apart - which is odd as the other Samsungs have been bulletproof. iPhones break if you look at them funny, who the gently caress wants a Windows phone and come on, the best mobiles were built by Nokia before they got eaten by Microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

BUT STEVE JOBS WAS LITERALLY HITLER

• Locked thread