Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just saw Dillinger Escape Plan on their final tour.

I lost 7 pounds, am basically deaf, and have the beginnings of a black eye. I also could not be more loving happy.

But mother of God this is gonna hurt tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Minor interest: Does anyone make a quadcopter/drone that you can use with a gimballed GoPro-type camera, and your phone for FPV?

It seems like there's a lot of stuff at the lower end of the market where you get a rather "meh" ~720p cheap camera and cheap screen built in, and then there's £500+ stuff where you then add on your camera and a "proper" FPV system, but nothing in the middle. I have a perfectly decent camera and phone, and I'd maybe pick up something halfway cheap as a toy if I could use these rather than having to take what I'm given or bleed my wallet out for prosumer kit.

I got the impression that there isn't anything in the middle and that a Phantom is cheaper than buying bits yourself and building something - even if you have stuff like a camera

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dji-Phant...voAAOSwYIxX56bN

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Enourmo posted:

My loving shifter picked a fine time to start vibrating itself apart. About halfway to school this morning I suddenly started having to shove the stick way farther forward than it will normally go just to get it to go into gear. And of course I couldn't get off campus til loving 10:30, so every gear change was a goddamn anyeurism-inducer as I wonderd if this would be the one where the bolt fell out. Something's definitely rattling up the shifter knob, only goes away when i pull it so far back in 4th that it literally touches the parking brake button.

Now I get to play the game where I see if I can get it to a shop (because gently caress apartments) and get it fixed before tomorrow night, when I'm supposed to go meet up with my dad for his 60th.

Pick a gear (I'd recommend 2nd or 3rd) and don't leave that gear! I drove an old E30 like this for a couple days waiting on parts then forgot about it when the shift linkage failed on our car during a race which lost us 2nd place :doh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

I got the impression that there isn't anything in the middle and that a Phantom is cheaper than buying bits yourself and building something - even if you have stuff like a camera

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dji-Phant...voAAOSwYIxX56bN
I just found a place selling a Phantom 3 Standard for a decent price, so sod it, let's have a crack, I can always sell it on for pretty much what I paid if I'm rubbish at it.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Pick a gear (I'd recommend 2nd or 3rd) and don't leave that gear! I drove an old E30 like this for a couple days waiting on parts then forgot about it when the shift linkage failed on our car during a race which lost us 2nd place :doh:
Luckily, on most FWD stuff, you can get at the linkage on the gearbox from the engine back, so even if the shift linkage is hosed, you can still at least get it into a limp-home gear.

As for E30s, I once changed an E30 shift linkage and bushes with the gearbox still in the car, and the exhaust and propshaft still fitted, and I don't exactly have small hands. That was kind of a pain. I had to come out from under it halfway through just to have a good swearing session.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 29, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Enourmo posted:

My loving shifter picked a fine time to start vibrating itself apart. About halfway to school this morning I suddenly started having to shove the stick way farther forward than it will normally go just to get it to go into gear. And of course I couldn't get off campus til loving 10:30, so every gear change was a goddamn anyeurism-inducer as I wonderd if this would be the one where the bolt fell out. Something's definitely rattling up the shifter knob, only goes away when i pull it so far back in 4th that it literally touches the parking brake button.

Now I get to play the game where I see if I can get it to a shop (because gently caress apartments) and get it fixed before tomorrow night, when I'm supposed to go meet up with my dad for his 60th.

On the first-gen Protege sometimes the shifter would fall through the floor hehe

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I just found a place selling a Phantom 3 Standard for a decent price, so sod it, let's have a crack, I can always sell it on for pretty much what I paid if I'm rubbish at it.

How much and do they have others?

Amazon are doing them for £418 which seems tempting

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

If you want a quadcopter with a camera for taking nice videos and pictures but at a budget there is no other choice to consider besides a Phantom 3 Standard.

While I don't see the price getting much lower historically DJI has had special offers during the later part of November sometimes including things like extra batteries at no cost or at a slight discount. On top of it all if you follow the instructions and set the bird up correctly those things fly incredibly well.

Source: I work in the hobby industry and have a Phantom 2, Inspire 1, Phantom 4, and have flown probably 100 Phantom 3's.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

As for E30s, I once changed an E30 shift linkage and bushes with the gearbox still in the car, and the exhaust and propshaft still fitted, and I don't exactly have small hands. That was kind of a pain. I had to come out from under it halfway through just to have a good swearing session.
Yup I did the same except we were trying to get back out before end of race so it was done in the hot pit, on a hot car as quickly as possible. Stupid bitch clip fought me for way too long. Worst part is I had a new DTM style shifter I had planned on installing for that race but they didn't want to mess with it.

Saturday maintenance, drove the 320i in today. We'll see if it starts without a jump when I go to leave. Was fine this morning after no tender overnight so I'm pretty sure I should be fine. Next issue to fix is the common hot start issue, luckily easy to diagnose and cheap to fix. Just a bunch of testing things

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just tidied up the basement (so, closest thing to my garage), put away all my tools, threw out some poo poo... felt really good, you can now see the floor!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

How much and do they have others?

Amazon are doing them for £418 which seems tempting
£375. Let me see if it gets to me first! I'm loathe to recommend somewhere without checking that it's not just smoke.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Saturday maintenance, drove the 320i in today. We'll see if it starts without a jump when I go to leave. Was fine this morning after no tender overnight so I'm pretty sure I should be fine. Next issue to fix is the common hot start issue, luckily easy to diagnose and cheap to fix. Just a bunch of testing things
320i is nearly ready for next weekends event! Hot start issue is getting better every time I drive it.

This drat crank pulley on the F20 is a major pain in the rear end. Timed 5 minutes with 750 lb-ft impact, nothing but heating up the bolt enough to burn me. Crank holder tool, long rear end breaker bars and me literally hanging on the end of it snapped the 3/4" to 1/2" reducer I just bought

Stupid dissimilar metals :argh: Not like my dry sump kit has even shipped yet and this is holding things up though I guess.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

320i is nearly ready for next weekends event! Hot start issue is getting better every time I drive it.

This drat crank pulley on the F20 is a major pain in the rear end. Timed 5 minutes with 750 lb-ft impact, nothing but heating up the bolt enough to burn me. Crank holder tool, long rear end breaker bars and me literally hanging on the end of it snapped the 3/4" to 1/2" reducer I just bought

Stupid dissimilar metals :argh: Not like my dry sump kit has even shipped yet and this is holding things up though I guess.

You didnt get it hot enough. Last f seriest timing chain i did required a glowing red bolt.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do you not have a 3/4" drive socket?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

clam ache posted:

You didnt get it hot enough. Last f seriest timing chain i did required a glowing red bolt.
:stonk: time to dig out the torch I guess

InitialDave posted:

Do you not have a 3/4" drive socket?
Nope, I borrowed the 3/4 breaker from a coworker since I only have one breaker bar

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yeap. I had to use the pulley holder and an air impact from snap on which had a very high rating. Those crank pulley bolts come one of two ways. MOTHERFUCKINGSHITGORILLA tight or not a problem at all because someone put it back on at a human level of torque.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Mentioned it to a coworker, this was his general recommendation as well, torch and a strong impact. :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've seen people recommend a VERY thick-wall socket on an impact gun as the solution, the theory being it prevents the twisting of the socket damping out the impact effect.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-77080-Harmonic-Balancer-Socket/dp/B00RGNCV1U

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I've seen people recommend a VERY thick-wall socket on an impact gun as the solution, the theory being it prevents the twisting of the socket damping out the impact effect.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-77080-Harmonic-Balancer-Socket/dp/B00RGNCV1U

Have that exact one, it sat on there for five minutes with no effect. Think I'll have to go torch method since this seems to be at FUCKYOU levels of tight

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh God, I knew it would result in this. I sold a cheap, broken car on Ebay (no MOT, failed its last one, currently untaxed, won't start). This is the message from the winning bidder:

"Hi I could come down on Wednesday for the car i can get he National Express to Leicester with a fuel pump off my car to fix yours..."
"If i get it running i can change my insurance over to drive home if this is ok with you."

:what:

I
am perfectly fine with this. Those solid and robust members of Her Majesty's constabulary, however, have on occasion been known to be somewhat more hard-nosed.

And yes, of course I said in the listing it was an MOT failure, was borked, and needed a flatbed or trailer to collect it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Had gyros for lunch today, there were some douchebag kids making a video in the joint and mocking how you say "gyros." They got louder and more obnoxious until one of the employees chased them out yelling in broken English and it was just magical.

"HEY gently caress YOU GUY! YOU gently caress OF HERE!"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Had gyros for lunch today, there were some douchebag kids making a video in the joint and mocking how you say "gyros." They got louder and more obnoxious until one of the employees chased them out yelling in broken English and it was just magical.

"HEY gently caress YOU GUY! YOU gently caress OF HERE!"

At King Gyro?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

At King Gyro?

Yeah, the one downtown by the Grand Wayne. You been to FW of late? Downtown is actually really nice.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, the one downtown by the Grand Wayne. You been to FW of late? Downtown is actually really nice.

Haven't been there in years... But I was just telling my wife how much I missed King Gyro. Get a Big Baby and half a chicken for me next time. :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

Haven't been there in years... But I was just telling my wife how much I missed King Gyro. Get a Big Baby and half a chicken for me next time. :)

I've never had but I'll give it a try. Only eat there like once every few months.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cleveland against the world!

Keep hating, we'll keep winning.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Stop wearing redface and maybe people will.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chicago is gonna go up in flames.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

I sold a cheap, broken car on Ebay
Update:
"Hi to hire a trailer and to transport the car would cost to much as i have the same car here but I went to weld the sills without taking the carpet or trim out first and it set on fire inside the sill,the door pillar acted as a chimney as they are full of foam, i was lucky it only burnt the back panel, my partner loves the little car but it needs to much welding doing on it to pass the m.o.t, I claimed off the insurance but they said it was to far gone for them to bother with it, so they paid me £400 but i had to pay the garage the first £100 but then they give me the car back and put it on a cat D if i put it back on the road. Last week end i went to London to pick a car up for £400 I put £40 of juice in it got round the M25 up the M1 onto the M6 put another £40 in juice had to buy a new battery £75 ran another 20 mile and it blew up, my green flag would only take me 50 mile I was 120 from home, I phoned the break down at the side of the motorway and they said it would cost £500 to move me off the motorway, so i left it were it was got the bus into Birmingham then the National Express home cost me £650 and still no car, So like you say it might be the pump but then it might be something else half way home and I'm back to square one stuck with a car round my neck miles away from home, Just put it on your front garden with a sign in the front screen £100 or near offer, if they think they are being cheeky offering you £50 its better than £30 of the scrap yard for them to make over £300 out of it, Kindest Regards and GOOD LUCK"

:fuckoff:

WHY DID YOU loving BID ON IT THEN YOU TWAT? I don't care about your :qq: life story, and you're not being "helpful" with your advice, you already messaged me before the end of the auction about how I could get more for it, and I was very clear I didn't particularly care about the money, I just wanted it out my way.

Jesus.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Oh God, I knew it would result in this. I sold a cheap, broken car on Ebay (no MOT, failed its last one, currently untaxed, won't start). This is the message from the winning bidder:

"Hi I could come down on Wednesday for the car i can get he National Express to Leicester with a fuel pump off my car to fix yours..."
"If i get it running i can change my insurance over to drive home if this is ok with you."

I
am perfectly fine with this. Those solid and robust members of Her Majesty's constabulary, however, have on occasion been known to be somewhat more hard-nosed.

And yes, of course I said in the listing it was an MOT failure, was borked, and needed a flatbed or trailer to collect it.

I've suddenly come over all Mystic Meg about what will happen when the buyer collects:

"I'm not worried about the lack of MOT, if I get stopped I'll say I am taking it for a test."
"No, I haven't pre-booked a test"
"It's only 150miles between here and the test centre by my house"

also

"Yeah, I have insurance, my car policy lets me drive other cars" *

"I didn't bring my driving license with me"

and

"Don't worry about filling out the 'change of new keeper' on the log book, just give it to me and I'll sort it out"

*(NB to Americans, no it doesn't)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I

Haven't we all done stupid or borderline legal things to get a newly purchased vehicle home? Good luck to him!

Get the full amount off him in cash as soon as he arrives and before he touches it and do the online ownership transfer thing. Then give him a key and tell him if it doesn't run then he has X time before you roll it out onto the road and report it.

If he insures it then technically he can drive it a 'reasonable' distance to a pre-booked MOT....

Edit - posted this before seeing your update. He does sound a bit of an idiot, but then when I was 18-19 I melted the back seat in my car while trying to weld a patch on the rear arch/sill and I still remember being skint and not as clever.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 30, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

nm posted:

I would love it if they stopped using chief Wahoo. They've been using the red C more and more in the last few years for a reason.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mariooncrack posted:

I would love it if they stopped using chief Wahoo. They've been using the red C more and more in the last few years for a reason.

I don't think the fans got the memo given how so many of them have shown up dressed as literal racist caricatures.
It has made it hard because I like Coco Crisp, but jesus, it would be like rooting for the cleveland black people where the logo was some dude eating watermelon.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Haven't we all done stupid or borderline legal things to get a newly purchased vehicle home? Good luck to him!
The whole thing of insuring it and driving it n+1 miles to a pre-booked test makes no odds to me, but I don't think he's even registered that it might not be viewed too kindly by the police. It was more his idea that he could turn up and bank on being able to just put a new fuel pump in it and drive off.

Bear in mind there isn't an access panel to the tank under the back seat, so you have to drop the tank.

My issue is that he is clearly an idiot, plus he seems to have enough money to waste on stupid, convoluted ways of sourcing a car, and yet can't spend a hundred quid to just hire a beavertail for the day.

This car is a two-decade-old Ford Fiesta. It simply isn't worth this much hassle.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

nm posted:

I don't think the fans got the memo given how so many of them have shown up dressed as literal racist caricatures.
It has made it hard because I like Coco Crisp, but jesus, it would be like rooting for the cleveland black people where the logo was some dude eating watermelon.

Yeah....some of the fans are idiots. I've seen a lot of Facebook posts about this ranging from "The Indians are named Louis Sockalexis, one of the first Native America stars of baseball" (they're not) to "I don't know why you're offended, don't you have bigger things to worry about? It's not offensive since it's not meant to be offensive."

Cleveland can be super racist.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Tried to mow the lawn for the last drat time this year. Did all I could do with the zero turn before I got my old Ferris walk behind out to do around the pond. Of course it had to die halfway through. And it weighs like 1000lbs, no fun to drag up the side of the pond and back to the garage. I am halfway torn between fixing it and finishing the job or leaving it for next spring me. I think it's fuel related. It sorta sputters and runs slowly with the choke all the way on but dies when I try to move it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

I was getting more at "the mistake by the lake/the river caught on fire 40+ years ago so it's a poo poo city that deserves to lose/Cleveland teams that make it to the playoffs are just props for the more deserving teams to beat" stereotypes.

I'm also on board with retiring Chief Wahoo.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 30, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Currently sitting at the shop waiting for them to get to my car. Really burns my rear end since this is something that would be a piece of cake for me to fix myself, but I have neither jackstands, tools nor approval to work on my car at my apartment, so I get to pay diagnostic fee for them to (probably) tighten a loving nut down.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Where do you live that has repair shops open on Sunday?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Most places? He's in central FL, but I'm in socal and it's the same unless you need a specialty shop. All the chain places are open though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah they close a couple hours earlier, but they're open. It's only the independent shops (you know, the good ones) that close.

Sucks cause I was gonna try and meet up with my dad for a belated birthday dinner. My sisters went and saw him the day of but I was busy. He understands and he's coming to the rocket launch in a couple weeks anyway, but it's still irritating to have my plans derailed by something so stupid.

• Locked thread