Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
in chronological order: from 1979 to current

1974 Yamaha DT100 (gone)
1971 Super Beetle (gone)
1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88 (gone)
1982 Chevrolet Spectrum (gone)
1981 Isuzu I-Mark (gone)
1981 Yamaha XS400 (gone)
1982 Chevrolet Citation (gone)
1992 Ford Aerostar (gone)
1987 Audi 5000 Wagon (gone)
1981 Nissan Sentra (gone)
1980 Honda CB650 (gone)
1981 Honda CX500 (gone)
1992 Toyota Celica (gone)
1999 Saab 9-3 (gone)
2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon (gone)
2005 Saab 9-5 Wagon (gone)
2008 Saab 9-5 Wagon - 58K miles

Next car will be hybrid or plug in electric, probably in 2020.
Some of you guys an eye opening amount of cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I lurk here all the time, living vicariously through your adventures.
I don't do much that this group might be interested in, but I finally
might be able to make a short thread about something now...

5 speed
Disc brake
Composite
Hybrid
Italian*
Commercial

I'm just the mechanic, the owner gave permission for me to talk about it.
Make a thread or just post in chat thread?

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
deleted, now that I know how this works, thanks guys. Next post will have words and pictures.

some_admin fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 25, 2016

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Babbies first real effort post: I got a problem with ICE man.
I helped design an Italian Ice Pedicab.
The guy knew there was a way to make this happen, but he didn't know how to model stuff, or really even what all sort of equipment he needed.
Initial conversation: "Man, I need to mount a 300lb cooler on a pedicab"
Subsequent conversation "I need running water to wash my hands with"
"Need potable and drain tanks"
"Need Hot water!"
"need an umbrella"
So I modeled it, faking his already-ordered pedicab, which I could not access to get any as built measurements. I modeled his cooler, sink, water tanks, heater, etc.
He had someone lined up to build it all for him, so I was happy just to do some cadd work.

He seemed eager and ambitious, but it also seemed a little overambitious. Whatever. He was happy and emailed me a month later to say the City had approved his license from my renderings.

Fast forward to 3rd week of August, I answer another ad on Nextdoor "my husband is having trouble with the pump on his food truck, any pump experts out there?)
It's my Italian Ice guy, with pump failure, a week after getting the pedicab delivered.
So the mechanical journey begins.
Visit number 1:
Pump is mounted 1 inch below top of potable water tank; has to suction air from line before pumping water.
All the plumbing is soft vinyl so of course it collapses when the pump applies suction.
I dummy up a strain relief to keep hose open, make note to buy semi rigid tube for hose suction side.
As I am looking at the pedicab, I see that one of the wheels is hitting the side of the platform, spacers are both mounted to the other wheel. I remove both wheels and put spacers in correct locations.
The pedicab LOOKS nice, but the wheels rubbing is an important indicator about how well the pedicab company was doing its job.
Water works, wheels don't rub and he is back out selling ice.

Notes on construction of the cart:
it's an MDF cabinet from home depot or something. TF (The Fabricator) has used drywall screws to mount the relatively few things that he deigned to
mount, such as the pump elastic mount, and 12v terminal bars directly to the MDF, screws poking through the cabinet in danger of puncturing the stainless cooler.
He has mounted a propane fired water heater INSIDE the cabinet. (it was mounted to the outside before I actually got my hands on it, but it had already melted and had to be replaced)

The freezer is mounted with (4) sheet metal screws to the Trex deck of the pedicab.
The 40 gallon supply and drain tanks are not secured in any way shape or form; a bungee cord is holding them and a 2 gallon propane tank inside the cabinet.
I guess it's cool not to secure the tanks, because there are no provisions for filling or emptying them either.
Oh yes, there is also a motorcycle battery for running an inverter to charge an iphone.
Oh yes, there is also a 358 watt power assist motor, and a 16AH 48V LI battery for propulsion.
So, we have electricity, water, propane, bad mechanical, electrical and plumbing work, on an overloaded, top heavy vehicle capable of traveling nearly 20 miles an hour. Hoorah!
Oh yes, the suspension consists of the air in the tires.

200 pound cooler,
300 pounds of product
40 pound MDF Cabinet
20 pounds of propane
200 pounds of human
~200 pounds of water
25 pounds of water tanks, pumps
10 lbs of motorcycle battery
15 lbs of umbrella
10 lbs of sink/shields
I think we are north of 1000lbs load on our pedicab frame, riding on 3 26" X 2.125 tires.
Stay tuned for visits 2-5.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Busy Haulin Ice - Visit 2

Maybe a week later, I get a text, no hot water!
He comes in the next morning, and we remove/remount the water heater (It was drywall screwed to the MDF of course).
Through bolted now, we try to troubleshoot it. I take the front cover off and the circuit board/igniter stuff is just charcoal.
That's when he gave me the pictures and mentioned that the Fabricator, had installed the water heater INSIDE the cabinet, PARALLEL to the floor.
It's a tiny little gas heater, with only natural airflow, so critical to be mounted upright and in clear air!

IIG (Italian Ice Guy) orders another heater for next visit.
Then he says, I Hear a clunking noise when I get on and off the throttle.
I start checking the driveline:
motor attached to crankset, attached to derailleur, derailleur has extra sprocket, chain goes to rear differential and axles.
Everything seems legit but then I notice motor is hanging on top of control and power wires that run down the front face, pulling on them.

Motor castle nut is not tightened, so motor swinging 1/2" on throttle application and back off. I don't have a wrench for this, so he goes off to bike shop down street.
Next day comes back with new gas heater, we reinstall it, plumb it up, and we add cleats to inside of cabinet to secure water tanks from sliding around.
Right before he is leaving, IGG says "I've been having trouble cooling the freezer down, have to put a fan in front of it to get it down to 0-5 degrees."
I take a closer look at cooler - it was originally manufactured on qty (6) legs, I'm guessing 4 or 5 inches high, for allowing cleaning of your ice cream shop, and EXHAUST FROM COMPRESSOR TO ESCAPE DOWN.
I get out the hole saw , and punch a bunch of 2 inch holes in the deck, giving a rough cutout for exhaust. (Not enough clearance underneath for jig saw). Freezer gets to -20 that night. Hoorah.
Still has no means to fill or empty tanks besides siphoning and sticking a hose in the potable tank, inside the cabinet, still has collpasing hose
IGG gets back to slinging ice

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Busy Haulin Ice Visit 3
I apologize for no before pictures, but I am working on this thing in 1-2 hour snatches of time. Usually either minding a toddler or after toddler is in bed.

IIG drops bike off and its plumbing time!!

The pump was previously mounted on drywall screws, 3 out of 4 anyway.
Now has bolts, locknuts, mounted to lightweight plywood, mounted that to cabinet with drywall screws (reduce/reuse/recycle, heh)

There was no fixed supply plumbing or drains. The pump was feeding from a vinyl hose stuck through the top of the tank fill.
No way to empty tank for a rinse or storage.

I only get one drain installed.
IIG gets back to the scoop.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Busy Haulin Ice remote Visit 4
text at 7:15 AM, I got no power or anything can you come over here?
I go over there, it's dead. Battery is charged 50+ volts, but nothing.
I unwrap the electrical tape from the battery quick disconnect plugs, and the positive terminal just falls out of the plug.
Severe arcing is evident on both plugs; they were crimped only connectors and cheap as hell at that.
I uncrimp, disassemble, refashion and tension plugs, and resolder the wires into the terminals. Didn't get any pictures because I was under the gun.
I did manage to pry the battery box out so we can look at the mighty home of the electrons! Nice battery box, lets see what's inside!
Oh. great, the battery just banging around in there crushing the power wires and charge wire. cool. That will be fine for a 1000 charges or so, right?
48V, 16AH Li Ion

Better

New quick disconnect ordered.
That night we pull the freezer off to reinforce it's mounting. It was held on with 3 sheet metal screws.
IIG takes cart back to pedicab for cantilever reinforcement of rear deck at my suggestion. and repainting of MDF cabinet/logo , looked amateurish.
Next update, New Paint! New Problems!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Busy Haulin Ice Visit 5,6
I'm waiting for the battery fire too.
I'm losing track of where I am in this. so some of it may be slightly out of sequence, but it all actually happened.
IIg texts me and says he hears clunks when he shifts, brings the bike over.
I look closely and the bolts have shifted that hold the derailleur/ntermediate gear to back axle.
The final drive chain (no tensioning device, has 2" of play).
get out socket, awkwardly loosen axle, pull it into place, tighten it.
While I have it on the blocks I notice that the wheels are both bent!
Examining the spokes finds 15-20 very lose, and one broken on each wheel.
I tighten the spokes, find a shop to do this, I don't have time to learn.
Meanwhile I had taken the freezer off and secured it to two pieces of Trex, like a skid.
I screwed the skid into the Trex deck of the pedicab.
When I wrap up securing the freezer, I notice some more uhm, "issues".
I thought my glasses were playing with my eyes, but heh no.
The pedicab lower deck holds up the pedicab upper deck with 4 standoffs, with a 3/8" bolt in shear connection from the upper deck standoffs.
This sounds reasonably sturdy, when I word it like that. But if you execute it like this, man it's just asking for it.
uh oh

uh oh oh

more oh

oh

Guess where the shoulder ends!! Oh wait, you can almost see it in some of the pictures.
The thread ends inside the lower bracket, so plenty of things digging into the threads and not enough washers to spread it out (while also being far far too many for the serious business we are asking of it!), meanwhile nut is stressing the upper standoffs in a pincher movement.
I go to hardware store, get more washers, longer shoulder bolts. we don't have time to put them in yet though.

Known things that have to be done, right now -

drain for waste tank (he is siphoning it out now, bleh)
fill nozzle and hosing (he is filling it with a garden hose shoved up under the sink and into the top of the tank)
replace bolts suspending deck with proper bolts, and more washer, prayers to FSM
replace battery connects
replace soft vinyl hose with nylon reinforce or plex

IIG wants to figure out the hard stuff on this version, and get it right on the next one.
Right now maintenance spending is ~$1 a mile.
He wants to expand, and he wants to cover more territory, like two events in a day or further than 6 miles away.
option A: buy a $600 new trailer, I can fabricate whatever it needs to accommodate the trike, register it, insure it, get a hitch on his antique volvo wagon
option B: Purchase 3 250 Watt solar panels, a charge controller and maybe a bigger battery, build a solar canopy, and he can drive wherever he wants. (358 watt motor, 322 watt freezer, we shold be able to make this thing off the grid with only about 250 pounds more weight! LOL)
option C: welcome to suggestions

• Locked thread