Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I feel like a complete rear end in a top hat. I had a long series of difficult and/or lovely customers earlier today, which left me pretty salty when the dealership I bought the 6 wagon from in june called me offering to schedule me for a service (that I would be paying for). There is a poor girl there that got an earfull about the fact that the car smokes randomly on startup, the radio had the amp and sub taken out with loose power wire shorting out on the floor of the vehicle and how there was no way in hell I was driving 70 miles to let some half trained lube monkey with his head up his rear end put his dirty dickbeaters on my car to put whatever bargain basement oil and filter they get from the auto parts store down the corner in it. And to top off the acting like a shitbag, I ended the call with that stupidly false cheerful voice I get when dealing with customers like I was being. I know better than to poo poo on someone who has nothing to do with their salesman being a shithead, but it didn't stop me. I am a terrible person. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its gone from sunny and still, to raining sideways and 25-30 mph gusts, to a light drizzle and no wind in ~20 minutes. Florida. :allears:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Snapped the base of a tag light bulb off in the 6 and destroyed the housing getting it out, so now the bulb makes poor contact with the socket. $21.75 from a dealership thanks to them having a deal with their local oreillys. I'm liking this car a bit less every time I have to gently caress with it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its a blast to drive, but its just annoying that stuff that held up on my crapalanche is loving up here. The radio and smoking on startups randomly don't help.

Edit, still need to figure out if swapping 07+ interior parts is worth it.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 4, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

A lot of the techs are third party contractors who get paid per job, not per hour, so the techs want to GTFO as quickly as possible. This is more of an issue with cable than it is with FTTH or DSL though. As much as I hate on Frontier (who handles DSL and fiber here), the techs going out to a customer are almost always company employees. Time Warner, Charter, Comcast, etc pretty much always sends a third party tech out.

Also, anything outside of the building is considered the ISP/telco/cable company's problem here. So running a new line from the pole is very much not a CPE issue, as the provider owns the pole, and the line up to the building, along with the DMARC attached to the building. CPE starts at the connection from inside wiring to the DMARC. In fact you're opening yourself up to a theft of services charge if you even think about going up a pole, along with liability for anything you might damage (such as your neighbor's connection.. or a fiber run to city hall that happens to be on that pole).

The odds of someone actually giving a poo poo that you're climbing a telephone pole enough to call in is effectively zero. Any even vauge threats of being charged for cable theft will come from a company tech spotting your line hooked up illegally while servicing another line. And it is almost always obvious as poo poo when someone does it themselves because its the wrong fittings, splitter with the wrong gauge wire leading to it with a proper line and your line being fed while there are open taps, a stripped wire jammed into an open tap or clear identifiers like color coded tags indicating the status of that line missing. Dallas itself I'm not sure of, but most of the western half of DFW was pink tags for disconnected, white for legal connections. All of these are piss easy to get around if you do it properly, boxes are simple to break into, all the tamper proof disconnect items are easy as gently caress to get past if you know how and company techs are rarely on poles unless someone is having issues in the area. A large number of contractors will also do hookups for weed, cash, a bottle of booze, sex, etc.

My dad was a cable tech (for a third party contractor) for 30+ years and from when I was around 14 on, I would generally be the one on the ladder doing the work while he did paperwork so we could get done and home faster. I never got someone asking what I was doing on a telephone pole, but I get plenty of people offering me a quick $50 or a half an ounce to hook them up with free cable. Never took them up on it though, my dad getting in trouble wasn't worth it. Contractors got hosed hard enough as is by the various cable companies, he didn't me messing things up. Plenty of his coworkers did though, since one illegal hookup would make you 5-10x more than the disconnect you just did for the company. And if they spotted a well done illegal hookup, they would often leave it, because it wouldn't be causing problems and was likely another contractor responsible for it.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 10, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My point of reference ends around 2006/7, since thats when I moved to florida, with my dad breaking his leg in a motor cycle accident shortly afterwards and out of work since. Before that, it was a mix of comcast, charter and time warner, so its hard to keep it all straight. They mostly used the exact same systems with the same hardware though. They were constantly buying and selling areas to each other through the 20+ years previous to that with few changes though.

And its unlikely you would have traps on your line anymore, they were phasing it out before I moved. My dad had been hording traps in his garage expecting a trap pull, and wound up with a couple nice paychecks after they implemented the one in grand prarie. The only remaining ones were to filter all cable signals or internet, and even then they were moving to use activation signals or just going gently caress it and skipping traps period. They didn't play well with the increased voltage when cable phone service started entering the area. Sticking a terminator with a pin in it into a hot phone port on a tap was always a fun experience with lots of smoke and it firing the pin out. And getting nailed with 90+ volts unexpectedly.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it was knight that hosed it up that bad. They are the were always the laziest and most incompetent fucks outside of actual company techs. Always so much butchery to clean up after whatever company would switch their contracts around every 6 months.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've gone hunting and slaughtered my own kills to eat along with helping with other people do theres. I also never keep a catch while fishing unless I'm going to for sure eat it. I also spent plenty of time on farms belonging to family members. I'm very aware of where my meat comes from, still gonna eat it without feeling bad in the least. That said, wasting meat does piss me off since something had to die to feed you. Respect that.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That sickening pop as a bolt snaps as you're tightening it is something special. Its also 11pm and anywhere with replacements is closed. I have work at noon. Say gently caress it and drive it with 7 of the 8? I mean, its how the front valve cover is currently rollin'.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Got any gorilla tape?

I may just smear some red rtv on the outside of the intake manifold gasket. One of the outside bolts popped, but that thing is held down tight. Tired of loving with this lovely motor, gently caress my cheapass 3/8ths in/lb torque wrench.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bead of red rtv it is. Gonna get a nice performance boost cuz its red too! :smugdog:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

You should paint parts of the engine red!

I plan on it! As soon as I confirm its no longer smoking enough to make people think I'm rolling coal on startup. :v

Plugs were at 0.065 for gap, recommended is 0.44, oil in literally everything with several rotted vacuum lines including the pcv hose. Pcv valve itself was drenched in oil, oil standing in the ridges of the accordion tube, oil coating the intake gaskets, oil coating the throttle body and oil coating the inside of every intake runner. Its got new vacuum lines, new pcv valve, new plugs (that I forgot to check the gap on), new coils on the back side and new gaskets. gently caress you lovely previous owner, gently caress you. And gimmie the loving radio you shitbag.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hasn't smoked on startup since the first one with a bunch of oil still in the cylinders, no oil scent and the check engine light from trying to do the compression check went away. Now the starter is poo-pooing on me again, but who gives a gently caress, the motor isn't junk! :toot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Stuff I drove regularly that was in my name?

1991 Acura Legend
2005 Chevy Avalanche (Caught on fire)
2004 Mazda 6

Stuff that has been in my name, but I didn't drive?

Very Early 90's-Late 80's chevy conversion van
2001 Chevy Avalanche (Caught on fire)
Mid 2000's Honda Goldwing Trike

or have driven regularly that wasn't in my name?

Early 2000s chevy 1500 w/ 4.3 (Stepfather's)
1993 Toyota Corolla (Caught on fire) (Mothers, given to me to use while she was out of state for an extended period)
1997 Mercedes SL500 (Mother's)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have seen a new level of gently caress knuclery today. Some cockgoblin at a harley dealership used an impact to put a customer's air cleaner cover back on and mangled the threads in the process. The tips of the threads were actually visually bent when I put the thread gauge on the bolt to check the thread pitch. And of course its some fancy fuckoff bolt that only harley uses. Fortunately 10 minutes with a thread file and a die solved the issue and I didn't have to eat a return on a day where we've had hours of dead time between customers. And I gained a couple of like customers. But still, how loving lazy do you have to be, just use a loving ratchet. :argh:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We sell the same basic one at work. Its great for wheels and simple poo poo like that. The clicker on the 3/8ths one sucks and is responsible for me snapping an intake manifold bolt. Flys good though when you get angry at it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That feeling when a customer needs a lock cylinder for a vehicle he just bought because there isn't one.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, it took 5 minutes of drilling into his head what "you need to get the transponder in the key I'm about to sell you programmed to the truck" meant.

Dude was in 2 weeks ago with a blown headgasket in something with a 3.8 in it, so I could see him buying a truck that was cheap for "reasons". Otoh, last time he was in, I had my co-worker keep an eye on him because god drat dude, you look like you just got out after 10 years for armed robbery and the woman you're with is obviously strung the gently caress out on something. I think constant closing shifts are killing my will to live.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I did the shameful and paid for an oil change. Trying do it in the parking lot of work was a no-go since the dain plug was starting to round off, so I took the oil and filter and paid a shop we're super friendly with to do it. Only charged me 10bux, plus having work rush a drain plug over on my employee charge account ($2.20 :toot:). I want my garage back. :mad:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What size bearings you need will depend on the size of the spindle. Be prepared for multiple trips to a parts store or days waiting for poo poo. There should be a loving law against trailer bearings. :argh:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

slurry_curry posted:

Saw Bad Religion and Against Me! last night and it was loving awesome. Bad Religion played for about an hour and a half and sounded loving amazing. Last time I saw them was in 2000 when they opened for blink182(I know, it was sacrilege. My brother and I drove ~3 hours to the Gorge Amphitheater, watched the opening acts and left before blnk182 started) and they might have put on an even better show last night. I kind of hate the idea of going to shows as I get older, but when we actually go I always have a blast. Its crazy that they are still touring after over 30 years, but they are still tearing it up and I hope they keep it up.

Against me! Are one of those bands I've always wanted to see live, but I thought they had stopped touring while the lead singer was transitioning and stopped keeping an eye out for them touring, didn't know they were back out. How are they live?

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 27, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Oh, and the battery on my FC RX-7 has apparently died beyond recovery from me letting it sit, an I need to get it inspected, so I can get the reg renewed by the end of the month. At least Home Depot now carries Exide batteries fairly cheap. Cheaper than O'Reilly's house brand, actually.

Thats because exide batteries are horrible poo poo. Like you're lucky to get a year out of them horrible poo poo. And I'm not just saying this because the assclowns who hosed up my mother's SL500 a couple years ago put in an exide (and charged her $500 for it) that decided today was the day to die when I actually needed it most. :argh:

Oh, its also in the trunk and they didn't hook the loving vent hose up. Fuckclowns.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 28, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The man who designed the pcv system on the mazda 6 v6 should be put on trial for war crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

:stonk: time to dig out the torch I guess

Mentioned it to a coworker, this was his general recommendation as well, torch and a strong impact. :v:

• Locked thread