Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Hubis posted:

In the replay you mentioned the NATO helicopter wandering off looking for other targets outside its target area during its rocket run. Does this apply to the Hinds as well? If we call both in on one location and there are no valid targets there, will they roam around and find something nearby?

If that's the case we should just split the difference and throw both on a single mission.

Everything related to air support in this game is a bit of a mystery but I'm pretty sure that's the case, I'm fairly sure the 700m radius isn't totally set in stone.

Keep in mind that with the weather target acquisition is pretty significantly effected relative to a sunny day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

glynnenstein posted:

Man... lol

I say we double up the choppers. My money is on at least one getting shot down, anyway.

Yes, that was my other thought.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

Just did some tests. It will take 2nd company's tanks around seven minutes to get to Kev. The AT-6s carried by the Hinds have poor targeting and can't defeat ERA, so they have little chance of hurting an Abrams unless it's a top or rear hit. The Frogfoot is a useless piece of poo poo that will likely do nothing for the duration of its mission. Even if it sees something it has terrible aim.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders for 3 Company 2 Platoon 'Concerned Ukrainian Citizens', 3Co Weapons Platoon 'Humanitarian Convoy', Battalion ATGM platoon 'Lost Muscovite Football Team', Engineer Platoon 'Waifs and Strays'

3-2-2 Section
Move as shown.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

NastyToes posted:

Just did some tests. It will take 2nd company's tanks around seven minutes to get to Kev. The AT-6s carried by the Hinds have poor targeting and can't defeat ERA, so they have little chance of hurting an Abrams unless it's a top or rear hit. The Frogfoot is a useless piece of poo poo that will likely do nothing for the duration of its mission. Even if it sees something it has terrible aim.

:waycool:

Well on the upside, this just means we don't need to feel so bad when it all gets shot down.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Given that the Frogfoot ("Grach" if you want to be proper, comrades) is more of a loiter and hunt affair, what if we change the plan as follows:

1) Call in the Hinds together on one fire mission (as previously described) ASAP.
2) Time the artillery barrage on'around the town to begin as the tanks start their push. This means that after spotting rounds, it will be at peak intensity as they approach Victory Road.
3) Time the Su-25 run to correspond to the tanks approaching victory road, and target it to the west of the town. This means it may have a chance at nabbing any IFVs they begin to recall to reinforce (since they will be tipped off by the artillery even if they haven't spotted the tanks).
4) Reserve some mortars to drop a smoke mission to cover our IFV push onto the town from the west.
5) Reserve some mortars to precision strikes on the town once we see them lobbing ATGMs at us (we may want to make sure we have an observer moving up to help with this)

Additionally: Can we call a mortar mission in NOW to where those Bradleys went?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm extremely interested to see is how much stuff they have in town by the time we push on it. I feel like they might be moving most stuff toward their "exit" if those bradleys were what/part of what they were waiting to evacuate. Possible reason to keep the airstrike mission flexible.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

I'm extremely interested to see is how much stuff they have in town by the time we push on it. I feel like they might be moving most stuff toward their "exit" if those bradleys were what/part of what they were waiting to evacuate. Possible reason to keep the airstrike mission flexible.
Same. We've read their mission script fluff and know they have to flee the pocket. While it is possible they know our mission objective as well by now, I don't think their main objective is to keep us from taking the village and they only keep a small garrison force behind if at all.
In the greater context their objective trumps ours.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Katznmaus posted:

Same. We've read their mission script fluff and know they have to flee the pocket. While it is possible they know our mission objective as well by now, I don't think their main objective is to keep us from taking the village and they only keep a small garrison force behind if at all.
In the greater context their objective trumps ours.

Since we're going to break down the results here narratively after the game, here is a restatement of our mission

quote:

Your mission is to close the gap. Friendly units to our south-east have been pursing allied units towards the highway, estimated to be roughly a battalion's worth of mixed American and Ukrainian units desperately trying to make their way to friendly lines. We must deny them the use of the highway and destroy as many military assets as we can. Our ultimate objective is capturing the village of Bystryk on the opposite side of the highway in order to secure our own supply line while denying its use to the enemy. Should resistance prove too great, focus on continued denial of the highway to ensure no enemy units escape to Krolevets as well as the destruction of precious enemy assets. Reserve units are rushing to relieve the rest of the 20th Motor Rifles on the outskirts of the city and elements of 2nd Battalion will be joining you within the hour to help secure this strategically vital sector.

As I read this, our primary mission is to secure the town in order to establish a pocket around NATO forces and link up with friendly units advancing from the south-eaast. In addition to that, our secondary mission is to prevent the enemy from regrouping to Krolevets by denying them access to the highway. If we are interpreting their mission correctly (and that south-western zone is a secondary exit and not reinforcements) then holding the town will mean we have achieved our primary mission and partially achieved our secondary one (forcing them to continue their withdrawl far south, remaining cut off from Krolevets).

From the fluff, I think we have the advantage of simply having to secure supply lines for reinforcements and block delay their own maneuvers. If we did nothing but held our current lines and managed to take the town, I don't see how that's [not] a better-than-marginal victory.

e: to put it another way, I think we should use the intelligence we've gotten on their objectives to try and predict where they are going to go, but not second guess Moscow on what our objectives should be.

ee: Killing some Abrams would definitely fall under the "Destroying critical material" however.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 2, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I like the double chopper on one mission plus calling in the frogfoot later. We have it, might as well throw it out there to get shot down. Basically, Hubis is operationalizing my vision of how this should go very well.

I'm not opposed to moving up 2nd Coy's armor to support 1st Coy, but I leave the ultimate decision on whether or not to do it to the Coy Commanders. Between 3rd Coy and the reinforcements our armored thrust across the Pathless Plain should have plenty of momentum. My only reservation is that 2nd Coy might be receiving another wave of enemy contacts shortly, and might need those tanks on hand.

If you can get line of sight on those bradleys in the woods to drop mortars on them, feel free.

As far as objectives go:

My personal objective has always been to secure the highway first, then assault the village when reinforcements made it practical. We know they might be able to sneak out the Southwest road, but that still cedes the best lines of advance for us. It will be unfortunate, but terrain and troop limitations mean that if they go whole-hog and throw everything they have west, we can't stop them from leaving that direction. Our road block in the south west is a delaying action, not a wall.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

Hubis posted:

4) Reserve some mortars to drop a smoke mission to cover our IFV push onto the town from the west.

Additionally: Can we call a mortar mission in NOW to where those Bradleys went?

We can't get LOS on those Bradleys, and artillery smoke rounds don't block LOS for vehicles or ATGMs.

I've also learned that the TacAI will have ATGMs ignore BTRs until they are closer than 800m. That means our planned BTR screen won't protect our tanks until we get past the intersection.

If we are concerned about our forces to the west being overrun, then how about we make some noise on Mount Silver to draw some attention away long enough for the Hinds to arrive? We know they moved all their tanks out and it looks like the American infantry went hiking in the woods so defenses might be rather light. If we push over the peak with our BTRs and follow up with 2nd company's tanks to destroy any ATGMs that have revealed themselves they might get spooked into pulling some of their forces back to secure The Iron Curtain.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

2nd Company / 3rd Platoon / 4th Platoon / Misc.

3rd squad A-team should move to rejoin with B-team.

These AGLs canceled their movement due to the rocket attack. Tell them to mount up and then continue last orders.

Nobody shot this guy yet. Move him up and see if that changes.

I was being too cautious with this guy. Move up to that copse of trees near the town.

Same deal with this lucky dude.

This FO has been idle for a long time and needs to move up. Abelian was commanding our FOs, but he hasn't returned from the break.

Not Quite Orders Yet

These last two are random BTR crew I found that were idle. Does anyone mind if I send them scouting?

NastyToes fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 3, 2017

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Not sure I'm a fan of all the one man suicide scouting missions, they all feel super game-y. We've been doing them so far so I won't stop you or anything but if I ever run another one of these I'll probably come up with some house rules regarding the ~~***realism***~~ of sending individual soldiers with no radios or C2 links to get intel that can immediately and perfectly be acted upon by the entire battalion.

e: I'm getting flashbacks to Wargame: Airland Battle scouting for ATGMs with one point trucks

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

On the other hand, soldiers in this game will not notice a tank that is actively firing 120mm shells 500 feet ahead of them.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Not to mention that any infantry squad with a modicum of training would have their squad members watching all directions as it moves or holds position whereas this game has all your troops face one direction at all times. So this game doesn't really do realism.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

koolkevz666 posted:

Not to mention that any infantry squad with a modicum of training would have their squad members watching all directions as it moves or holds position whereas this game has all your troops face one direction at all times. So this game doesn't really do realism.

It isn't perfect but this is a really dumb statement to make about a game that models individual bullets imo

The entire point of no engine-defined on-map objectives was to move away from dumb gamey stuff like having a single soldier in a golden objective zone define the outcome of the scenario through points. I just feel like I can't end up running a game where the idea is to adhere to looser more player defined objectives that includes 'destroy enemy equipment' for you guys and then have you deliberately try to suicide men and equipment to scout, it's totally inconsistent.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hold Position! We're waiting for the cavalry boys, bust out the pickled herring.

(Where we should be for reference)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Generation Internet posted:

I just feel like I can't end up running a game where the idea is to adhere to looser more player defined objectives that includes 'destroy enemy equipment' for you guys and then have you deliberately try to suicide men and equipment to scout, it's totally inconsistent.

I think this is totally fair and good, we haven't really internalized well that mission-incapable units (vehicle crews and ammo-less weapons teams) are of value because we don't know how to value them. I also feel like there's a line between " hey run around out here like a dummy and see who shoots at you!" And more coordinated supplementary recon like our tank crew and BTR probing on Pathless Plain.

Then again, I don't think we've lost any of our "suicide scouts" yet? The only scouts we've managed to throw directly into enemy gunfire were out actual recon teams :xd:

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

1st Tactical Group, 2nd Company 5th Platoon (Tanks)
Continue previous orders.

3rd Tactical Group, 1st Company, 2nd Platoon + 3rd Platoon
Follow professor curly's traffic cop orders!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Hubis posted:

I think this is totally fair and good, we haven't really internalized well that mission-incapable units (vehicle crews and ammo-less weapons teams) are of value because we don't know how to value them. I also feel like there's a line between " hey run around out here like a dummy and see who shoots at you!" And more coordinated supplementary recon like our tank crew and BTR probing on Pathless Plain.

Then again, I don't think we've lost any of our "suicide scouts" yet? The only scouts we've managed to throw directly into enemy gunfire were out actual recon teams :xd:

Also, turning up the EWAR level might affect that. As I recall, the first step degrades Squad<->Platoon leader communications, which would make local command grouping more important and prevent you from marching single dismounted squads all over the map and using them to spot for other people (although obviously you can still see where they get killed and by what).

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

quote:

The available EW strengths are None, Light, Medium, and Strong.

NONE:
No EW assets are deployed against the enemy. Systems are unaffected.

LIGHT:
- Hand-held "walkie-talkie" radio communications are degraded. Manpack radios (as carried by "radio operator" soldiers), and vehicle-mounted radios are unaffected.
- Hand-held satellite communications links via PDA devices are degraded. Vehiclemounted satellite stations such as FBCB2 and Constellation are unaffected.
- UAV Support Mission delivery times are lengthened and UAV spotting ability is degraded due to electronic interference.

MEDIUM:
- Hand-held radio equipment no longer functions.
- Manpack radio and vehicle-mounted radios still function but are degraded.
- Hand-held satellite communications links via PDA devices no longer functions.
- Vehicle-mounted satellite stations such as FBCB2 and Constellation are degraded.
- Delivery times for Artillery, UAV, and Air Support Missions are much longer due to comms interference.
- UAV spotting ability is further degraded.
- Precision artillery missions of all types are not available.
- The ability of on-map Surface to Air Missiles (SAMs) to detect and engage aircraft is degraded.

STRONG:
- All radio and satellite communications links are disabled. Units must maintain C3 links via verbal face-to-face communications or visual hand signals.
- Artillery, Air Support, and UAV Support Missions now have an extreme delay, often over 20 minutes. UAV spotting ability is extremely degraded.
- On-map SAM ability to detect and engage aircraft/UAVs is highly degraded.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

1st and 3rd Platoon orders look good. Fuligin, if you're still around, have your squads draw back to the blue line below. You're looking a little exposed on your end of the line.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

1st Tactical Group, 1st Company, 2nd Platoon

Forward squads: MOVE and then HUNT as indicated. Maintain standing order to HALT and FACE contacts if enemy is detected.

Machine-Gun Team: Proceed SLOW through the woods to the outcropping indicated. FACE down towards enemy contacts and DEPLOY.

Rear guard (2nd Squad, A-Team): FACE towards contacts and HOLD.

3rd Tactical Group, 1st Company

Mobilize as per TG3 command. Rally at map reference point and await further orders.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS 1/3

Continue resting and waiting for reinforcements.

ORDERS 1/2, Reinforcements

Form up with the rest of the company and travel south with them in column.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I am guessing GI is having a blast ordering all those new units...

Hopefully the game stays stable!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

glynnenstein posted:

I am guessing GI is having a blast ordering all those new units...

Hopefully the game stays stable!

Now you've got me worried that GI's computer overloaded and we lost him to a LP-related house fire :ohdear:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does that implicate us in arson?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Grog games claim another life. :negative:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Apologies for missing the past two turns Dublish, I lost track of things a bit. I'll be back into the fray.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

So...

I hope GI is doing okay, but it looks like this game is going to end up being abandoned. Is anyone dumb enough to try to take over for GI and finish this thing up? You'd be a really cool insane hero to try to get us to the finish!

I am guessing nobody wants to deal with this monster. Assuming that, next week I'm gonna give up and go ahead and go read the blufor and observer threads. I figure a month is a pretty honest time-frame to give this a chance for a restart, but I'm ready to learn about our secret mega-fuckups and missed chances.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I'm just going to wait indefinitely. GI has disappeared and come back before, and I've seen him on discord a couple times so he's not dead or anything.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hopefully it's nothing serious. Looks like he hasn't posted anything since Feb 4th.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I was just wondering this morning if I hosed up and forgot/ADD'd this. Glad to know I'm not at fault.

But I hope everything's alright with GI. :ohdear:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

:agreed:

It's been a really great game and he deserves our congratulations for getting this far. I'm disappointed that it seems to be stopping just as I was really getting into the action. I'm going to give it another week before looking into the other threads.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Clearly he just stopped because given our reinforcements and rock solid battle plan victory was a foregone conclusion :v:

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I'm still waiting, but I may be tempted to go to the other threads soon.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

professor_curly posted:

I'm still waiting, but I may be tempted to go to the other threads soon.

I think I'll give it another month.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Could people who decide to duck out post in the thread so I can keep tabs of who is left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

I gave in and started reading the observer thread. Hubis and Glynn have also posted in there.

• Locked thread