Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

i couldn't tell you but you're saying that like it's a bad thing. beer bottle shops that fill growlers are great as well
It's only a bad thing when you live in Canada with its outdated liquor laws and you live two hours away from the brewery, which is the only place you can get it refilled :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Has anyone made a linguistics joke yet? I'm not reading 11 pages to find out.

naem
May 29, 2011

Drinking a deschutes fresh squeezed ipa an it's very good but I already went running so it's okay

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the trump tutelage posted:

It's only a bad thing when you live in Canada with its outdated liquor laws and you live two hours away from the brewery, which is the only place you can get it refilled :saddowns:
it's bad enough that Pennsylvania has the most antiquated liquor laws in america. i'd die if i were in a country where that was the law of the land

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, I got some random oktoberfest beer, it tastes so loving bad

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

you cant buy a beer now unless it tastes like someone left a bunch of old pennies in it

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's bad enough that Pennsylvania has the most antiquated liquor laws in america. i'd die if i were in a country where that was the law of the land

That's Minnesota. Only breweries(that don't serve too much food to qualify) can fill growlers, grocery stores/gas stations can't carry anything harder than 3.2%, liquor stores close at 10pm and can't open at all on Sundays. You can still get a growler filled on Sunday though.

though in a 2 hour radius there's roughly ten million breweries so I guess the solution is don't live out in the middle of loving nowhere and you don't have to worry about getting fresh beer directly from the brewers.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this is london and the year is 2016. the only beverage that exists is IPA. I go to a mcdonalds. I order a burger and a coke. the man behind the counter informs me that there is no coke. what drinks do you have? i say. he points to the soda machine behind him. the colourful logos of soft drinks have been replaced with a panoply of irony drenched microbrew labels. each with more hops and sailor tattoos than the last. I point at one. the man at the counter pours it into a paper cup. i take a sip as the man totals up my bill. the ipa tastes like cat piss and dirty coins.

'that will be £19' the man behind the counter says.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

FirstPersonShitter posted:

this is london and the year is 2016. the only beverage that exists is IPA. I go to a mcdonalds. I order a burger and a coke. the man behind the counter informs me that there is no coke. what drinks do you have? i say. he points to the soda machine behind him. the colourful logos of soft drinks have been replaced with a panoply of irony drenched microbrew labels. each with more hops and sailor tattoos than the last. I point at one. the man at the counter pours it into a paper cup. i take a sip as the man totals up my bill. the ipa tastes like cat piss and dirty coins.

'that will be £19' the man behind the counter says.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Just bitter flavor in an IPA is a waste of time but if you can get an interesting profile (like the IPAs with a grapefruit balance) it makes for a pretty pleasant mix of flavor.

Issue is a lot of the generic non-local IPAs tend to NOT put anything else in it but hops. Not to mention the concept of the IPA was made because the beer doesn't go bad when shipping it to India, not as a flavor thing. It's like the ship's biscuit of beer.

That being said if it's given a more complex flavor profile and not overly hoppy (aka a double or triple IPA) it can have a very unique experience, and the Washington state and Oregon IPAs are pretty good due to the hops being used so fresh from harvest.

Also I often get mad at wing places that just max out the spiciness of their sauce instead of going for a unique flavor with their hottest wing sauce. BW3 realized that recently with their Blazin' when they changed up the formula to have a more smoky flavor alongside the pepper, and switched to using ghost peppers instead of the concentrated capsaicin poo poo they used before, giving it a pepper flavor profile instead of just "here have some burn with no joy of the pepper". Same goes for IPAs and bitterness.

I also think habaneros taste better than jalapenos since jalapenos taste metallic and habaneros have a richer flavor.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 10, 2016

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm tryin a black IPA for the 2nd presidential debate. It's good.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
lol if you've ever tasted a bad beer

every beer i ever drank tasted delicious to me

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Twat McTwatterson posted:

congrats on avoiding IPAs

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Twat McTwatterson posted:

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The 'worst' beers I've had that weren't garbage nonsense were craft beers that tried to do a stout or something big and dark and malty and ended up with a coppery-tasting flat coke type of thing, which is entirely drinkable but not really delicious at all. like I have some deschutes porter right now and it's fine I guess but it's kinda lifeless and has a metallic tang to it. I probably won't buy it again

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Beer isn't supposed to taste metallic iirc.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah what is all this referencing to coppery or metallic flavours in beer? that is some seriously flawed beer you're drinking, ipa or not lol. hops don't make that flavour. either the brewer uses garbage, untreated water, has some issues with corrosion on their equipment, or the beer is getting oxidized along the way

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

thomawesome posted:

Cider is really regional because you need access to an orchard, basically. And they need to grow cider apples. I had some amazing craft ciders in Nashville, and some mind blowing French and Spanish farmhouse ciders. They're out there, just harder to find.

By the way, I'm basically a lush for a living.

So much, SO MUCH good cider in the SW of England. One of, maybe the only thing they do better than anyone else.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

a bone to pick posted:

Seriously, Sierra Nevada makes some of the best IPAs and they make it look easy.

I'm in Europe, and Nooner is as good as most of the top tier German pilsners.

You have no idea how much this surprised me.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Spuckuk posted:

I'm in Europe, and Nooner is as good as most of the top tier German pilsners.

You have no idea how much this surprised me.

Well stay away from their "Oktoberfest" beer, it tastes like rotten rear end.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
The craft beer movement has gone too far

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Garage Project's Garagista IPA is the kind you give to IPA-haters. If they don't like it they are unlikely to enjoy one at all. I am drinking one as I type this - before I move onto cheaper stuff.

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 11, 2016

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Garage Project's Garagista IPA is the kind you give to IPA-haters. If they don't like it they are unlikely to enjoy one at all. I am drinking one as I type this - before I move onto cheaper stuff.

This thread is for people who are NOT drinking IPAs. Maybe the IBUs are impairing your reading ability

naem
May 29, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

This thread is for people who are NOT drinking IPAs. Maybe the IBUs are impairing your reading ability

you cnat stop me

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've never, ever had a good Oktoberfest beer.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
What the gently caress is wrong with your tongue that you don't like Oktoberfests? Even Sam Adams has a decent one.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'd rather have a better beer? :confused:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

You post good things about the best brewery in the world, Unibroue, and so I like you, but this is some straight up filth mister

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

I agree, idk if its the spices or the way its brewed but they taste terrible to me.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

a bone to pick posted:

I agree, idk if its the spices or the way its brewed but they taste terrible to me.

Oktoberfest beers should not contain any spices since if you are getting a german one it's brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot purity laws which say that beer can only be made with water, barley, hops, and yeast

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I haven't had any good bottled oktoberfest. They all tend to taste a little skunky and flat.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Oktoberfests are great.

Having a wonderful IPA now, one pseudoSue from Toppling Goliath. A great product.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Recommend me a good beer if I want something that's super malty

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Sagres Bohemia but idk where to get it, they used to serve it at a bar I went to a lot in NC. It's about the maltiest beer I've ever had.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Recommend me a good beer if I want something that's super malty

allagash four

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Drinking the Golden Road Wolf Pup IPA.
I don't know what they did to make this taste so amazing, but it's mind blowing. Like how does it even manage to taste super good and fresh even when I buy it at my supermarket mega chain, which usually stocks 3-6 month old faded rear end IPA

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Dzhay posted:

Has anyone made a linguistics joke yet? I'm not reading 11 pages to find out.

i get this reference

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Just finished my last pumpkin beer. Going to go buy some more tomorrow obviously, but will probably get a Yeti too. What's yall's favourite: OG, Chocolate, or Espresso?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Dog posted:

Just finished my last pumpkin beer. Going to go buy some more tomorrow obviously, but will probably get a Yeti too. What's yall's favourite: OG, Chocolate, or Espresso?

Sounds disgusting, I'll be having a nice IPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Oh hey my pale ale of choice just happened to win the NZ beer awards the other week, looks like I might be a beer genius. :smugdog:

• Locked thread