Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Geokinesis posted:

like this one

Rauchbier tastes like the liquified contents of an ashtray hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Doppelbocks are the only thing that is Cool And Good™

a good opinion

triplebocks push it too far

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Keg posted:

Are cascade hops the fruity tasting hops?

Nah, they are the bitter ones. They've got a really unique taste that I can only describe as the IPA taste.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

Rauchbier tastes like the liquified contents of an ashtray hth

Rauchbiers must be an acquired taste. My fiance hates them but I think they taste like a delicious campfire

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Can we all at least agree that the trend of marketing fruity ciders to manchildren who can't stomach a beer with Axe Body Spray-esque commercials to make them seem more manly is hilarious?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to make Mike's Hard Lemonade a manly man drink for masculine men always made me laugh.

..... But I do really like drinking those lovely cocktail-in-a-can long islands from 7/11...

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Honestly just start drinking all those hard root beers you see around now, and wear garbage bags for clothes OP.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum
Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale
Anderson Valley Bourbon Barrel Stout
Ballast Point Grapefruit IPA

I'm just listing the best readily available poo poo I've drank since I started drinking craft beer. No one ever talks about certain beers made by certain popular breweries like Firestone Walker. They go apeshit for Union Jack IPA yet never mention or sell Double Barrel Ale outside of mixed twelve packs.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum
does anyone else get totally lost when you go to a restaurant / bar and you don't know any of the brands so you have to go by the type of beer. But you don't know poo poo about how an ale is different from a red is different from an idk wtf

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Basch lives! posted:

does anyone else get totally lost when you go to a restaurant / bar and you don't know any of the brands so you have to go by the type of beer. But you don't know poo poo about how an ale is different from a red is different from an idk wtf

this happened to me and I accidentally ordered a non-alcoholic beer, why are those even a thing?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

hard root beers

This isn't a real thing, is it?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

This isn't a real thing, is it?

It's usually root beer with vodka in it, I think.

You know what I like? Hard ginger beer. With sushi. Yum :)

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

i like saisons because they taste like something other than hops and grain

i really like the gardeny flavor

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum
There is only one hard root beer / vanilla cream that tastes close to ok: Not Your Father's.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I live in the DMV area and Flying Dog is really nearby. good IPA brand imo

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Basch lives! posted:

Ballast Point Grapefruit IPA

This is a very good beer and I like it very much.

I'm hoping to score a bottle of this tonight: https://www.bellsbeer.com/beer/specialty/black-note

I had my eye on a stout where I'm heading but it looks like they don't have it tapped tonight. Good news is none of the beers on tap have pumpkin in the name.

IPA, stout, porter, sour, Miller, whatever. Lets all have beers and enjoy. :shobon:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i will drink up to and including one mellon/pumpkin ale a year

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Basch lives! posted:

a bone to pick posted:

this happened to me and I accidentally ordered a non-alcoholic beer, why are those even a thing?

Just go by ABV.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

i like saisons because they taste like something other than hops and grain

i really like the gardeny flavor

theyre really unique in the beer world. you should try farmhouse ales too. theyre known for their earthy tones

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

setafd posted:

I live in the DMV area and Flying Dog is really nearby. good IPA brand imo

:hfive:

I didn't even know they were local.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
This guy I know says that there are only two types of beer: cold beer and warm beer. He's a pretty serious alcoholic.

Browns are good. Ambers are good. Certain reds are good. Belgian beer is delightful. The Champagne of Beers is unbelievably good. IPAs are loving awful.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Basch lives! posted:

if it has a german sounding name, itll likely be a little more full bodied and malt centric. if it sounds like something out of the british isles, itll likely be kind of bitter and maybe a little burnt tasting. if its from america, its likely more airy and bright with a more bitter hoppy flavor.

these are gross generalizations but theyre kind of a workable rule of thumb if youre completely in the dark

if youre not a huge beer person a pale ale is usually a safe bet

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Basch lives! posted:

There is only one hard root beer / vanilla cream that tastes close to ok: Not Your Father's.

That still tastes like trash.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Blue Raider posted:

if it has a german sounding name, itll likely be a little more full bodied and malt centric. if it sounds like something out of the british isles, itll likely be kind of bitter and maybe a little burnt tasting. if its from america, its likely more airy and bright with a more bitter hoppy flavor.

Is it racist or whatever to say the beers are kind of like the people?

naem
May 29, 2011

I cut way the heck back on beer because I'd gained some weight

Like 1 beer became three and then the $12 six pack is gone and my summer is a beery blur and I can't remember where my neck went and I had to jog every day for a month. Thanks I.P.A.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I drink whatever beer has the most alcohol in it and that's usually imperial IPAs or stouts. A sour is a waste of my time and pumpkin beers are usually watery and lacking body

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Infidel Castro posted:

agreed. But if you're going to try it, might as well not drink the ones that taste even more like cough syrup.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Infidel Castro posted:

What really gets me is that I'm pretty sure that they're owned by Coors or some poo poo and they still have the gall to call themselves "Small Town Brewing" gently caress you.

Anyway, I think the problem with IPAs is that they can be pretty good but because they're so popular the market's been utterly flooded with sub par IPAs and pale ales. Plus, the average ones end up with a steady following where even though they all taste basically similar, there's still people coming in to buy them on a regular basis.
I'd like to say go premium or go home but I'm lucky enough to be able to pick out basically whatever I want off the shelf, put it in a mix-a-six pack (probably just a PA thing?) and pay an extremely reduced price for it. Breakfast Stout I'll pay full price for. That poo poo's delicious.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Roylicious posted:

Is it racist or whatever to say the beers are kind of like the people?

actually no. like i said, those a pretty huge generalizations, but i was going with the types of beers those places pioneered. like german beers are kind of descended from the marzen lager and are kinda full bodied and have a more dominant malt flavor. you get the wittes and pilsners and stuff from there. pilsners being the most popular beers in the world due to their basically neutral flavor. theres a reason that coors and bud lite and such are so popular. pilsners are easy to drink a lot of and are balanced in flavor

england is kind of a weird place because theyre the ones that started hopping the poo poo out of beers. hops are a natural perservative. thats why it's called india pale ale. it was overhopped so the beer would keep on its way to india during the reign of the empire. the british isles also gave way to burning malts for a reason i wont get into here. they make your porters and wee heavies and poo poo like that. british beer is by far my least fovorite family of beers.

american beer got weird. were the ones that started jacking the abv up (until then, i think wee heavy was about as high as it normally got at around 10%). americans started brewing beer in a lot of weird ways like using steam and playing with a poo poo ton of different adjuncts (stuff like rice or grain that adds fermentable sugars that raise abv) and additives (stuff that adds flavor but no abv). american beer is the wild west, especially since the microbrew explosion. i personally think theres a definite trend toward hoppy rather than malty balance though, in general

belgian beers are crazy and basically are unlike any of the other families. i also think theyre even more of an acquired taste than the other types of beer, but my tastes run hoppy

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Starman Super DX posted:

What really gets me is that I'm pretty sure that they're owned by Coors or some poo poo and they still have the gall to call themselves "Small Town Brewing" gently caress you.

Yeah that is lovely. Speaking of which, Ballast Point was acquired by the brand that makes Corona and Svedka. Does that put that brewery in the same class as "Small Town Brewery", or is it not as shady since the beer is probably still bottled and brewed at the actual Ballast Point brewery in San Diego? Afaik small town brewery was never a small town brewery.

e: well apparently they were a small town brewery since 2010 before partnering with Pabst in 2015. So it seems like the same situation

Basch lives! fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 30, 2016

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
The acquisition of Ballast Point is really a shame too, because it seems like all they want to make now is fruity versions of their other beers. Give me a barrel aged Victory at Sea, drat it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Starman Super DX posted:

The acquisition of Ballast Point is really a shame too, because it seems like all they want to make now is fruity versions of their other beers. Give me a barrel aged Victory at Sea, drat it.

as long as they dont gently caress with normal sculpin im good

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Basch lives! posted:

just order a coors light or equivalent

if they don't have that then leave because you're in some overpriced poo poo joint for beer hipsters

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I don't know what's wrong with me, but half the time I drink a beer using Belgian yeast I end up feeling nauseous.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

extra stout posted:

I don't know why this is true but looking at this picture I imagine this is an incredible beer, rich with history, full of flavor! Worth importing even. And yet from every experience I have I am sure the brewery down the road in my bum gently caress town makes better tasting beer. Must just be that microbreweries have their son MS Paint a label and print it out as stickers and they can't convince new customers as easily of their mastery of a craft

Eh some craft are really nice but when after something with a full flavour a lot of them are misses. The uk regional ale festivals help a lot with finding new stuff work drinking though!

Here are at least 2 nice stouts from the modern craft side:
http://www.magicrockbrewing.com/beer/dark-arts/

https://untappd.com/b/bexar-county-brewery-chupacabra/1057109

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
There are like ten really good IPAs and ten billion mediocre ones. Two Hearted is the best, but Lagunitas IPA, Dale's, Torpedo, maybe Sculpin but I think it's way overhyped, etc. Hoptimum and Palate Wrecker are awesome too. 99% of the time some local IPA is just boring and overpriced and makes me wish I had just gotten something else. Porters and stouts are largely garbage, there's no wrong season to drink a good IPA.

Mostly I just drink 32oz cans of High Life tho. Well that's my opinion on everything thanks for reading I hope "U" enjoyed it.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
sculpin costs 15 loving dollars for a six pack

13 in nyc

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

I don't know what's wrong with me, but half the time I drink a beer using Belgian yeast I end up feeling nauseous.

its so full bodied and sweet. does the same to me after like a pint

Time Machine
Feb 24, 2006
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.

Power Granger posted:

Look at all the wonderful choices

What, no Weyerbacher? Fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

best new ipa if you live around ga. kind of citrusy. itll get you turnt too

• Locked thread