Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
kill you're television

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
does anybody else remember that LG television that was uploading literally everything to LG's headquarters in China, including but not limited to the file names of every file of every hard drive you ever plugged into it? Good times

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

does anybody else remember that LG television that was uploading literally everything to LG's headquarters in China, including but not limited to the file names of every file of every hard drive you ever plugged into it? Good times

life is good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's amazing to me that no manufacturer has figured out that there is a market for dumb high end tvs. I don't even want speakers in mine, I have a receiver for that.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

that probably exists in the form of high-end commercial monitors and displays

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

The Management posted:

it's amazing to me that no manufacturer has figured out that there is a market for dumb high end tvs. I don't even want speakers in mine, I have a receiver for that.

I have a dumb projector it is good.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I have a Sony trinitron crt television. suits needs, it is only used for retrogaming

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my sony bravia with android tv is technically a computer. a funny computer

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

George posted:

kill you're television

on mine i only need to kill the hung jobs and then restart the app from the homescreen, the rest of the os has decent uptime.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Visual GNUdio posted:

lol 37" TV?

where's the "no poors" rule when we need it the most..

hiding under your work boots

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

they exist. we have a 55" samsung display hanging in the shop for lecturing and demo-ing whatever is happening on the CNC computers, and it is just a bigass monitor that you turn on and connect an HDMI cable to. no smart tv bullshit. (it has speakers).

it cost about 4x as much as my functionally identical 48" samsung smart tv

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah dumb tvs still exist and are more expensive now b/c companies will pay extra for the tv that can be used as a commercial display w/o popping ads up

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I just want a TV with a built in HD tuner and no fancy poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stereotype posted:

I just want a TV with a built in HD tuner and no fancy poo poo

yeah they know

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
obviously I'm just going to buy the smart tv and not allow it on my network. it just seems like a wasted opportunity that someone could capitalize on. kind of like those computers at the Microsoft store that come with no bundled crapware.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats fine if they didnt passive-aggressively put in constant persistent [X] Network Connection Interrupted...Please Check Your Internet Connection popups and banners on the TV itself

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've never gotten a popup ad on my tv or any kind of update warning aside from the first time I took it out of the box

you turn it on and there's some SMART TV icons junk that shows up for 5 seconds then disappears and you never see it again. i dunno where all you people are buying these lovely adware popup tvs but my sarnsung doesn't do it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mine doesn't either but i have a 28" tv, an elegant set from a more civilized age

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my dad loves the idea of a smart tv and he's bought at least 6 tv box things and all he does is complain that the netflix app doesn't work right. i can already imagine the laughs im going to have when he buys a real smart tv and it's got some bop it twist it pull it remote and a heads up display showing you commercials and what you are running low on in your fridge

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

netflix works great on my sony bravia with android tv. it also comes iwth amazon prime video

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

you have to build + compile from source your own smart tvs now for safety

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I have a vizio and it plays youtube and netflix

I got it cause it had 4 hdmi inputs

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

my old toshiba had 4 hdmis plus 2 component and 2 composite and maybe even an svideo for good measure in there, and audio-out and jack for an ir blaster.

i sold it for like nothing when i got my 4k :/

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I bought a 55 inch back in 2011. It worked okay until I loving clutzed my way into breaking it a couple years ago. I bought a Vizio replacement, same size, few hundred dollers cheaper, and that time I loving mounted it to the wall so it wouldn't die as easily

interestingly the older one only had an optical audio out while the newer one also had RCA audio out. I feel like RCA out disappeared for a bit and then came back, but I could totally be wrong

I use my TV as a receiver and run the audio out to my old stereo with bigass speakers. my needs are very suited by this arrangement

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My Pinoneer plasma is incredible; the inputs on it are ridiculous. 2 s-video, 2-composite, 6 HDMI, VGA in, optical in, optical out, and RCA out. I saw an HDTV the other day that only had 1 HDMI and 1 composite and that was it :stonklol:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

vizio tvs will connect to any open network in order to show you ads related to all the data they send to the ~cloud~

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I want some $2k 55" 4K tv will all the new marketing things included in whatever the new standard is

I also don't care and current tv is fine :shrug:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

vizio tvs will connect to any open network in order to show you ads related to all the data they send to the ~cloud~

jailbreak it and install ad-block plus

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

So many inputs, wow

i only need one input, i can only watch one thing at a time

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

jailbreak it and install ad-block plus
i remember the first adblockers in the 90s being proxy servers, maybe those are still around? having a proxy gently caress with your data seems kinda unsafe tho hmmmm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

privoxy probably still exists

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

incredible

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
imagine usong that knowledge to compromise networks. like, idk. use a super jammer to knock the network down, then blast your own super high power network so the tv joins it kuz best signal. then install a rootkit on the vizio. then when you leave the vizio rejoins the normal network and spreads the epic virus. idk. sounds like sumthing from mr robot. cool. own the box elliot

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i have a 40" sony tv thats smart and takes 20-30 seconds to "boot" after you turn it on during which time you can't adjust the volume or change the input/source

picture is nice tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it kind of astonishes me how even my computer-savvy friends all have TVs with motion interpolation and super mega contrast and ~HD REALVISION VIBRANT COLOR~ turned on

me, being enormous nerd, i took my laptop and an hdmi cable to best buy on a wednesday morning when there was no one there and asked the sales guy if i could gently caress around with the color settings on the demo model of the TV I wanted to get and make sure i could match it to my (calibrated) laptop display to my satisfaction (he said "sure, whatever")

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

yeah i say that to nerds all the time. whatever just stop talking to me. go away. gently caress.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol you work at best buy

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
my friends all think they are watching movies but when i show them how bad theyre picture setting sare tyhey'll have to watch them all over again lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Lo l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you have friends who use motion interpolation you should stop being friends with them

• Locked thread