Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have a lucky gold star television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Smart TVs are the only recent product to be even more pointless than selling tablets that are just large phones

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least a chrome book or a netbook fills a real niche. nobody is buying an iPad for anything except that they have money to burn and they're popular

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

qirex posted:

if you have friends who use motion interpolation you should stop being friends with them

/sets 4:3 content to stretch to 16:9

I'm using all the screen I paid for! :madmax:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
motion interpolation is dad as hell. I have to turn it off every time I go over to my parents and he always swears he didn't change it.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
motion interpolation is the dumbest thing and it confuses me that it's the default on most TV's

why yes i would like this movie to look more like a 1980's episode of General Hospital

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i recommend using a display technology that can match its refresh rate to the frame rate of the source

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's purely because people in the store will look at one TV with interpolation turned on and the other natively showing a 24 FPS movie, and go "wow, this one is so much smoother!!!"

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

motion interpolation literally makes me feel sick and is the first thing turned off on any new tv

also lol if you don't use hde hd basics to calibrate any display

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Larry Parrish posted:

At least a chrome book or a netbook fills a real niche. nobody is buying an iPad for anything except that they have money to burn and they're popular

my old ipad 2 fills the niche of "recipe holder" p nicely

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

motion interpolation is dad as hell. I have to turn it off every time I go over to my parents and he always swears he didn't change it.

My tv has a 'football' button and it turns on motion interpolation and pumps up the color vibrance and just makes everything look like Madden

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/sets 4:3 content to stretch to 16:9

I'm using all the screen I paid for! :madmax:

please trigger warning

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please rename thread "tv janitoring"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

motion interpolation is cool & good and lol if you think you know more about television than the engineers that made your tv

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

This is a stupid as gently caress statement and I expect better, so i'll not quote it and give you the room to edit it into something less idiotic

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

This is a stupid as gently caress statement and I expect better, so i'll not quote it and give you the room to edit it into something less idiotic

Stymie posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mishaq posted:

motion interpolation is cool & good and lol if you think you know more about television than the engineers that made your tv

lol if you think the "engineers" at samsung know more about cinematography than a goddamned cinematographer

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Cinema is garbage that's the whole point, movies that depend on lovely frame rates and extreme darkness to suspend your disbelief probably wasn't worth watching in the first place

Motion interpolation is literally the same algorithm used for modern video compression but in reverse, looking at the motion vectors and building extra intermediate frames from them. It is hella high tech and only a luddite movie nerd would dislike it while fondling their plasma TV or CRT projector that is killing their wifi network with RF noise.

Same with video calibration. Use a setting you like, not what some "expert" told you to that makes you unable to see anything unless you live in a cave

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Here's a question, why do TV's and monitors need to be calibrated by the user to get the "Best picture", often with devices you attach to the screen? Why not just ship them with that as default? Is it a matter of opinion or some poo poo?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

maniacdevnull posted:

My tv has a 'football' button and it turns on motion interpolation and pumps up the color vibrance and just makes everything look like Madden

im imagining a fast & furious-like sequence where someone is impressed with the vibrancy of a tv but then vin diesel coyly says 'watch this' and presses a big red "FOOTBALL" button and the guy is like FUUUUUCCCCKKKKKK!!!!, nails digging into his armchair, maxell tape ad style

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

mishaq posted:

lmfao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

AtomD posted:

im imagining a fast & furious-like sequence where someone is impressed with the vibrancy of a tv but then vin diesel coyly says 'watch this' and presses a big red "FOOTBALL" button and the guy is like FUUUUUCCCCKKKKKK!!!!, nails digging into his armchair, maxell tape ad style

granny input switching, not double PiP-ing like you should be

you almost had me? you never had your set

now me and the mad scientist gotta drag this thing back to the lab and fix the solder joints on the flyback transformer you blew

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

r u ready to WALK posted:

Cinema is garbage that's the whole point, movies that depend on lovely frame rates and extreme darkness to suspend your disbelief probably wasn't worth watching in the first place

Motion interpolation is literally the same algorithm used for modern video compression but in reverse, looking at the motion vectors and building extra intermediate frames from them. It is hella high tech and only a luddite movie nerd would dislike it while fondling their plasma TV or CRT projector that is killing their wifi network with RF noise.

Same with video calibration. Use a setting you like, not what some "expert" told you to that makes you unable to see anything unless you live in a cave

lets take this to the extreme and colorize b&w in real time with neural nets and add audio to silent films

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Perplx posted:

colorize b&w in real time with neural nets

http://demos.algorithmia.com/colorize-photos/ this is awesome

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rookoo posted:

Here's a question, why do TV's and monitors need to be calibrated by the user to get the "Best picture", often with devices you attach to the screen? Why not just ship them with that as default? Is it a matter of opinion or some poo poo?

The answer is actually even simpler than that. In a Best Buy showroom (or wherever), under the poo poo florescent lights, vibrant colors and extreme brightness are more attractive, but look like poo poo in your living room. So they set the default to that, as their number 1 concern (understandably) is getting the TV in your house.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also calibration is a panel by panel thing and cutting cost corners is very attractive. good displays come precalibrated tho like the current dell hotness

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

holy poo poo, are you literally arguing that having to wrok around technical limitations makes art stupid and meaningless

you just discounted literally every single form of human expression other than super-high res documentary photography and video

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"god, this movie from decades ago wasn't filmed in hdr at 60fps! obviously garbage because they had to work around their technical limitations

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Management posted:

it's amazing to me that no manufacturer has figured out that there is a market for dumb high end tvs. I don't even want speakers in mine, I have a receiver for that.

there is, they're called broadcast monitors

or did you not mean $20,000+ by "high end"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

"god, this movie from decades ago wasn't filmed in hdr at 60fps! obviously garbage because they had to work around their technical limitations

a man from the future: "god, this 60fps HD movie from 2016 wasn't filmed in 16k high-definition holographic 400fps! obviously garbage cause they had to work around their technical limitations"

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

hey guys haven't you heard (soulless giant electronics corporation) is always correct and you should always follow what they say, not the people that actually create the content that you're viewing on the tv

heh, loving sheeple

*votes trump*

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The man from the future is going to watch the movie in fully immersed 3D VR because his computer built a 3d model of the movie scene by extrapolating object positions over time in relation to the camera movements :colbert:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The man from the future is going to watch the movie in fully immersed 3D VR because his computer built a 3d model of the movie scene by extrapolating object positions over time in relation to the camera movements :colbert:

then he's not watching the same movie

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stymie posted:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sagebrush posted:

a man from the future: "god, this 60fps HD movie from 2016 wasn't filmed in 16k high-definition holographic 400fps! obviously garbage cause they had to work around their technical limitations"

this is a thing that americans do constantly. if it's no longer what society deems "new" they don't want it anymore

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the mona lisa is absolute trash. a painting of a person? there are cameras now. gently caress that

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bloody posted:

the mona lisa is absolute trash. a painting of a person? there are cameras now. gently caress that

-america, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

qirex posted:

all your old-rear end plasmas are probably at 40% of their original brightness and everything looks hella green but you're all stockholm syndromed

if you don't run it in vivid mode (most people do) its not really a problem

generally speaking not running your tv at super high brightness is good for both picture and longevity

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i have a 40" samsung lcd that is ccfl backlit. it will play dlna servers or from usb, which is as smart as a tv needs to be. it has lots of hdmi inputs and three analog inputs for all my legacy game consoles. the panel can be a little blurry at times but not enough to be an issue.

i'd like an oled but i barely use this set so when spend the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bloody posted:

i recommend using a display technology that can match its refresh rate to the frame rate of the source

oh yeah, this is the other reason I bought the tv i have, it does 24hz.

the only device that ever supplied 24hz was my old wdtv, nothing new does that. maybe bluray players, but lol if u think i will bother with a spinny disc

• Locked thread