Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

it's amazing to me that no manufacturer has figured out that there is a market for dumb high end tvs. I don't even want speakers in mine, I have a receiver for that.

they exist. we have a 55" samsung display hanging in the shop for lecturing and demo-ing whatever is happening on the CNC computers, and it is just a bigass monitor that you turn on and connect an HDMI cable to. no smart tv bullshit. (it has speakers).

it cost about 4x as much as my functionally identical 48" samsung smart tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've never gotten a popup ad on my tv or any kind of update warning aside from the first time I took it out of the box

you turn it on and there's some SMART TV icons junk that shows up for 5 seconds then disappears and you never see it again. i dunno where all you people are buying these lovely adware popup tvs but my sarnsung doesn't do it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it kind of astonishes me how even my computer-savvy friends all have TVs with motion interpolation and super mega contrast and ~HD REALVISION VIBRANT COLOR~ turned on

me, being enormous nerd, i took my laptop and an hdmi cable to best buy on a wednesday morning when there was no one there and asked the sales guy if i could gently caress around with the color settings on the demo model of the TV I wanted to get and make sure i could match it to my (calibrated) laptop display to my satisfaction (he said "sure, whatever")

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol you work at best buy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's purely because people in the store will look at one TV with interpolation turned on and the other natively showing a 24 FPS movie, and go "wow, this one is so much smoother!!!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mishaq posted:

motion interpolation is cool & good and lol if you think you know more about television than the engineers that made your tv

lol if you think the "engineers" at samsung know more about cinematography than a goddamned cinematographer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

"god, this movie from decades ago wasn't filmed in hdr at 60fps! obviously garbage because they had to work around their technical limitations

a man from the future: "god, this 60fps HD movie from 2016 wasn't filmed in 16k high-definition holographic 400fps! obviously garbage cause they had to work around their technical limitations"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my tv is hooked up straight to my desktop pc and i watch movies at every framerate and play epic games on it (just finished bioshock 2, don't know why everyone said it was worse than the first one, it was actually better) and in general it is a super pro move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well i wouldn't know, my tv only goes up to 1920

• Locked thread