Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pissflaps posted:

Hi everyone

My main television - the one i use in my living room - is a 37" panasonic viera plasma. It's 720p. I currently have no plans to replace it. I know it's a bit old fashioned now but the picture on it still looks great. i think if i could change one aspect of it id rather it had a smaller bezel. i like the fact that it isnt 'smart' in any way, it just shows a picture. an additional hdmi port would be nice. i have an android streaming box and an apple tv 2 plugged in to it, along with my sky+ hd box.

thank you for reading.

All the tvs on my house are plasma. A Pioneer plasma from 2006 and the rest are Panasonic plasmas from 2008. They all still knock the poo poo out of any LCD I've ever seen, no matter how expensive or new the LCD is.

Plasma is finally being dethroned by OLED and I can't wait for them to drop a bit more in price. Though I bet OLED fails only because the name is confusing. So many people I know think they have OLED. But it's just an LCD with an LED back light. Who names this stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
does anybody else remember that LG television that was uploading literally everything to LG's headquarters in China, including but not limited to the file names of every file of every hard drive you ever plugged into it? Good times

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My Pinoneer plasma is incredible; the inputs on it are ridiculous. 2 s-video, 2-composite, 6 HDMI, VGA in, optical in, optical out, and RCA out. I saw an HDTV the other day that only had 1 HDMI and 1 composite and that was it :stonklol:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

vizio tvs will connect to any open network in order to show you ads related to all the data they send to the ~cloud~

jailbreak it and install ad-block plus

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rookoo posted:

Here's a question, why do TV's and monitors need to be calibrated by the user to get the "Best picture", often with devices you attach to the screen? Why not just ship them with that as default? Is it a matter of opinion or some poo poo?

The answer is actually even simpler than that. In a Best Buy showroom (or wherever), under the poo poo florescent lights, vibrant colors and extreme brightness are more attractive, but look like poo poo in your living room. So they set the default to that, as their number 1 concern (understandably) is getting the TV in your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's actually a thing with Samsung tvs. People buying them and returning them until they get one with an IPS panel. Not unlike Nintendo with their random 3ds screens.

• Locked thread