Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So, after the 6 seasons that dumb Portlandia show has been running, the feminist bookstore they parody has randomly decided they're not OK with being made fun of, despite being perfectly OK with it for years. However, in the fashion you would expect of a location with the description "a feminist indie bookstore in a gentrifying neighborhood of Portland," they're basically living out a sketch from the show:

http://www.avclub.com/article/portlandias-feminist-bookstore-says-gently caress-portlandi-243359

quote:

In Other Words issued a lengthy statement on its website explaining that it’s severed ties with the show. And it also released a far more succinct one, via a sign that first appeared in its window this past spring: “gently caress Portlandia.”

That sign accuses the comedy—in which Armisen and Brownstein portray the storeowners as perpetually offended, thoroughly humorless firebrands—of various unforgivable transgressions, among them “Transmisogyny – Racism – Gentrification – Queer Antagonism – Devaluation of Feminist Discourse.” Attempts by the Willamette Week seeking elaboration were answered first with demands that the paper promote its online fundraising campaign. After the Week declined, it garnered this similarly combative response:

“After some consideration and research we’ve decided to officially tell the Willamette Weekly [sic] to go gently caress themselves. Your paper has absolutely zero journalistic professionalism and you are scummy rape apologists. Thanks for the opportunity tho! Have a great night.”

"we will only take advantage of a public platform to air our grievances if you also give us free ad space for our GoFundMe. No? Well, you guys are scummy rape apologists and your newspaper (that we would have been happy to talk to if you had given us even more free promotion) is garbage."

quote:

And while the show has obviously boosted In Other Words’ profile, and helped bring national attention to previous fundraisers held to spare it from bankruptcy, that fame hasn’t exactly translated to profits. “Tourists and fans of the show come to our door to stand outside, take selfies, and then leave,” the statement reads. “The vast majority of them don’t come inside.”

Film at 11: people who think Portlandia is a funny show generally don't really care about books on feminist theory. Odds are pretty high that if they actually came into the store the complaint would just change to "tourists and fans of the show come in our store and don't respect the safe space rules we have in place!!!

quote:

You could also question the fact that In Other Words seemed to have a pretty good sense of humor about its being spoofed for six years, only to very recently decide that these spoofs have somehow “only become more offensive” as the seasons wore on. You might even raise an eyebrow at the post’s conclusion blaming Portlandia’s “popularity and insipid humor” for the city’s gentrification—especially coming from a feminist, white-owned bookstore that, however progressive and well-intentioned, moved into its cheaper, historically black neighborhood.

I love the gentrification argument when it's made by gigantic hipsters who have already co-opted poor neighborhoods. Even better is the idea that rich white people are moving to Portland because of a TV show that makes fun of how annoying people in Portland are

I eagerly await the season 7 sketch where they make fun of this entire situation, and the angry backlash that will inevitably follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Isn't the point of Portlandia to make fun of the humorless dorks living in Portland? Cause it works.

"Interview with Carrie Brownstein posted:

Brownstein, who is also one of the show’s writers and producers, told me, “In general, things in a place like Portland are really great, so little concerns become ridiculous. There are a lot of people here who can afford—financially but also psychologically—to be really, really concerned about buying local, for instance. It becomes mock epic. It’s like Alexander Pope’s ‘Rape of the Lock.’ I was standing in line at Whole Foods, and the guy in front of me says, ‘I really wish you guys sold locally made fresh pasta.’ And the cashier says, ‘Look, we do.’ And the guy says, ‘No, no—that’s from Seattle.’ Really? You don’t have a bigger battle?”

Bookstore's gotta drum up business somehow, I guess.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Nobody can endure six years of Fred Armisen in a wig. They were bound to crack.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
So this show brings in tons of tourist to this shop but these broads are too dumb to lure them inside? Talk about an epic business fail.

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
The feminist movement was started by the rockafellers to get the woman out of the house and into a taxable position, while giving the state the abiity to subvert their kids minds 8 hours a day....at the same time, increasing inflation and counter culture ideas of a cohesive family being undesirable, has lead to a total destruction of the american family

thanks feminism, have fun being sluts protesting oil with your titties out I guess

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Why would you go to that lovely little bookstore anyway when Portland has Powell's city of books? A place that owns and isn't filled with humorless assholes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

the ol pump-n-bump posted:

The feminist movement was started by the rockafellers to get the woman out of the house and into a taxable position, while giving the state the abiity to subvert their kids minds 8 hours a day....while at the same time increasing inflation and counter culture ideas of a cohesive family being undesirable has lead to a total destruction of the american family

thanks feminism, have fun being sluts protesting oil with your titties out I guess
What

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
deal with it

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

The feminist movement was started by the rockafellers to get the woman out of the house and into a taxable position, while giving the state the abiity to subvert their kids minds 8 hours a day....at the same time, increasing inflation and counter culture ideas of a cohesive family being undesirable, has lead to a total destruction of the american family

rock-a-feller

trumbo rockofuller, tax baron

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 30, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FedEx Mercury posted:

So this show brings in tons of tourist to this shop but these broads are too dumb to lure them inside? Talk about an epic business fail.

I get the feeling that Portlandia's depiction of the owners as completely humorless, holier-than-thou snarks hits a lot closer to home than the real owners would like to admit

d...dare?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My dog doesn't accept traditional gender roles and keeps humping my pillows. Is she a feminist?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

You whore bitches don't deserve a nice guy like me mk II: m'lady edition

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
Those feminists want the D but theyve been mind controlled into thinking scissoring and tori amos are what they want....I dont get what you arent understanding

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I like Portlandia. And I also like it when parodies come to life and hilariously own themselves, so this is all good.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Kelp Me! posted:

I get the feeling that Portlandia's depiction of the owners as completely humorless, holier-than-thou snarks hits a lot closer to home than the real owners would like to admit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ch1kXp3mQA

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Those feminists want the D but theyve been mind controlled into thinking scissoring and tori amos are what they want....I dont get what you arent understanding

Ok first I thought you were dare but now I'm pretty sure you're jon pop

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

'Devaluation of feminist discourse' being listed as an unforgivable transgression. Thats the type of thing you usually hear in the context of fundamentalist religion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's Up With The Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia Lately Oh This Is What Is Up With Them Okay Guys Anyway If You Click This Article There Are Pictures Of Bats And Bunnies

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pretty much.

I can understand the idea of wanting to make a space comfortable for everyone, but this seems a bit excessive

quote:

In Other Words supports the safety of our staff, volunteers, and patrons. By entering In Other Words and/or participating in our events, discussions, and activities (both on the physical space and online), you agree to abide by the following guidelines:

-Cishetero-patriarchy exists, white supremacy exists, ableism exists, racism exists, colonialism never ended, capitalism is bad. This is not a space where we argue about the basics of the situation. We learn and grow together, we do not gaslight each other and we do not minimize or deny experiences with oppression.
-Oppressive, abusive, or reactionary language and behavior of any kind will be interrupted and challenged in all IOW spaces and work.
-Respect, embrace, and defend the identities and complexities of all people and all life.
-Do not tolerate threats – in any form – to the safety of any member of our organization or any part of the communities In Other Words is accountable to. If you see it, interrupt it. If it’s not safe to interrupt, tell someone as soon as you can.
-Respect the boundaries, consent, and emotional and bodily autonomy of all persons and ask about them – do not assume to know them. Unequivocally believe and fight for survivors of rape, trauma, and abuse.
-Be accountable. If you are called out for oppressive words or actions listen and then immediately change your behavior. What you meant is less important than what you do after you’ve hurt someone. Own your actions and own your poo poo.
-The collective volunteers and staff at In Other Words are empowered to enforce these rules. We reserve the right to ask any individual who cannot abide by our Safer Space Policy to leave the physical or online space.

Seems a bit extreme for a small bookshop IMO. I get the feeling that as a cishet male I would instantly be judged by every single person in that shop the second I walked in.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's Up With The Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia Lately Oh This Is What Is Up With Them Okay Guys Anyway If You Click This Article There Are Pictures Of Bats And Bunnies

Bats and bunnies? Maybe I should click the link in the op but I won't.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

im gaye posted:

Nobody can endure six years of Fred Armisen in a wig. They were bound to crack.

It's hard to take the male Russian spy seriously in that "The Americans" TV show as a tough dude because he looks so much like Fred Armisen.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yesterday I had to do work at someone's house and they had a second floor they never went to and when I went up there to check on stuff it was just full of dead bats. Dead bats littering the floor. I couldn't walk without stepping on a dead bat. I told them and they laughed like living underneath some kind of bat holocaust was something they knew about and were fine with.

Also Portlandia is funny.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh my god not the feminist bookstore from Portlandia! Dammit! I can't believe we lost the feminist bookstore from Portlandia to the god drat PC Police! When are those clowns in Congress gonna shut those bastards down? What a bunch of clowns... feminist clowns that is!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

How can you move in a city in such a way that it is neither white flight or gentrification

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Can we make this thread about the bat holocaust house instead of about feminism?

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
It seems extreme because the whole bookstore is a CIA front designed to spread disharmony by polarizing parts of the population against itself, in the name of political correctness, use your brain moran

political correctness is just a way to encourage group think

you all are way behind on this

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It seems extreme because the whole bookstore is a CIA front designed to spread disharmony by polarizing parts of the population against itself, in the name of political correctness, use your brain moran

political correctness is just a way to encourage group think

you all are way behind on this
Can confirm.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

quote:

In Other Words supports the safety of our staff, volunteers, and patrons. By entering In Other Words and/or participating in our events, discussions, and activities (both on the physical space and online), you agree to abide by the following guidelines:

-Cishetero-patriarchy exists, white supremacy exists, ableism exists, racism exists, colonialism never ended, capitalism is bad. This is not a space where we argue about the basics of the situation. We learn and grow together, we do not gaslight each other and we do not minimize or deny experiences with oppression.
-Oppressive, abusive, or reactionary language and behavior of any kind will be interrupted and challenged in all IOW spaces and work.
-Respect, embrace, and defend the identities and complexities of all people and all life.
-Do not tolerate threats – in any form – to the safety of any member of our organization or any part of the communities In Other Words is accountable to. If you see it, interrupt it. If it’s not safe to interrupt, tell someone as soon as you can.
-Respect the boundaries, consent, and emotional and bodily autonomy of all persons and ask about them – do not assume to know them. Unequivocally believe and fight for survivors of rape, trauma, and abuse.
-Be accountable. If you are called out for oppressive words or actions listen and then immediately change your behavior. What you meant is less important than what you do after you’ve hurt someone. Own your actions and own your poo poo.
-The collective volunteers and staff at In Other Words are empowered to enforce these rules. We reserve the right to ask any individual who cannot abide by our Safer Space Policy to leave the physical or online space.

George Carlin is spinning in his grave.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
The feminist bookstore is angry. It rumbles and cracks have formed in the fiundation. The bookstore is angry and we do not know how to calm it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I can't find these pictures of bats and bunnies send help

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FlimFlam Imam posted:

George Carlin is spinning in his grave.
Ah yes, the old "George Carlin agreed with whatever I think about anything" argument.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bag em and tag em posted:

The feminist bookstore is angry. It rumbles and cracks have formed in the fiundation. The bookstore is angry and we do not know how to calm it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I do not watch Portlandia or read books

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This must mean Kyle MacLachlan really is the mayor!

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The feminist bookstore has gained sentience and it is loving pissed about it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

seriously tho where are these bats and bunnies

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You know what else is a safe space? Literally any big retail store in America. The only color that matters is green.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Moon Atari posted:

The feminist bookstore has gained sentience and it is loving pissed about it.
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I smell the blood of the cishet scum!

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

This monsterous bookstore will devour us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ah yes, the old "George Carlin agreed with whatever I think about anything" argument.

George Carlin was also the conductor on Thomas the Tank Engine

really makes you think

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fee Fi Fo Fum, I smell the blood of the cishet scum!

how did you guess the title of my next feminist flash mob gathering

• Locked thread