Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Kelp Me! posted:

I am genuinely curious as to how the people working that store would react to a guy walking into the store by himself.

I'd like to think they'd be super friendly and pretty jazzed that a guy was genuinely interested in learning about feminism and how to contribute to gender equality from the other side of the fence, but history (and Tumblr) tells me that would not be the case.

They'd be like most portlanders. Asking if you need help then ignoring you for the next 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

They'd be like most portlanders. Asking if you need help then ignoring you for the next 45 minutes.

You mean I wouldn't be committing a microaggression by inserting my cishet self into a feminist safe space? That's a relief

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

My anger grows with each white cis male that enters me.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

kikkelivelho posted:

My anger grows with each white cis male that enters me.

o gently caress the angry feminist bookstore has chosen an avatar

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
In Pontypool Guy voice: The feminist bookstore from Portlandia is angry. The signs are posted all over town. "Have you seen the feminist bookstore from Portlandia?" We've all seen the posters, but nobody has seen the feminist bookstore from Portlandia. Nobody.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Ork of Fiction posted:

In Pontypool Guy voice: The feminist bookstore from Portlandia is angry. The signs are posted all over town. "Have you seen the feminist bookstore from Portlandia?" We've all seen the posters, but nobody has seen the feminist bookstore from Portlandia. Nobody.

You don't see it until it is too late.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Feminism does not determine who is right - only who is left.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole NW is pretty passive aggressive.

At least in the NE you get some genuine high quality rudeness

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

What a cruel thing The feminist bookstore from Portlandia is... to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The feminist bookstore from Portlandia will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Kelp Me! posted:

I am genuinely curious as to how the people working that store would react to a guy walking into the store by himself

They'd be nice and friendly and as soon as you take a book down from the shelf and crack it open they'll quietly walk over and slam the book into your face from underneath and say 'now you know how it feels' when you get mad.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
The feminist bookstore from Portlandia is a battlefield littered with the dead and dying. Agents of the Patriarchy and Feminists alike reduced to little more than meat. Men and women who, moments before, cut into one with deadly purpose and seething hate now cry out in agony with one voice, bearing for the first time a common message. Please, God, let us die now. The feminist bookstore from Portlandia hears their pleading but offers no relief.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
These pretzels from the feminist bookstore from Portlandia.... are making me THIRSTY

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

the ol pump-n-bump posted:

The feminist movement was started by the rockafellers to get the woman out of the house and into a taxable position, while giving the state the abiity to subvert their kids minds 8 hours a day....at the same time, increasing inflation and counter culture ideas of a cohesive family being undesirable, has lead to a total destruction of the american family

thanks feminism, have fun being sluts protesting oil with your titties out I guess

yes i particularly hate women with their titties out :flaccid:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
The feminist bookstore from Portlandia much?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The feminist bookstore from Portlandia never takes a wicked man by chance, the good man always.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The Feminist Bookstore is going to own me, and I'm going to like it. It's going to pummel me with rare, limited edition books of theory and prose and poetry until I'm reduced to paste. It's going to clobber my rear end, balls, and weakling boy-body with manuscripts and nice thick heavy coffee table photo books. It's going to strap me down on the floor between the massive hard shelves and cut me into pieces with paper. I will be bound and gagged with a giant dream catcher as interpretive dancers rip me limb from limb to a 5000db acoustic janis joplin track in their impossibly tight unitards. my horney level is my demise im strung out jacked up and freaked out because tonight my friends tonight is the night i am buried beneath the never-ending catacombs of The Feminist Bookstore from Portlandia.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of the feminist bookstore from Portlandia that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So like do they want the black neighborhood to be avoided at all costs a seperated from everything else in order to preseve it?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
He gazed up at the enormous storefront. Six seasons it had taken him to learn what kind of novels where hidden behind the display window. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two mainsplained tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over patriarchy. He loved the feminist bookstore from Portlandia.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE MEN SINCE I MOVED TO PORTLAND. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED PAGES IN BOOKS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR MEN AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kelp Me! posted:

I am genuinely curious as to how the people working that store would react to a guy walking into the store by himself.

I'd like to think they'd be super friendly and pretty jazzed that a guy was genuinely interested in learning about feminism and how to contribute to gender equality from the other side of the fence, but history (and Tumblr) tells me that would not be the case.

They'd assume the show sent you there, and probably ask you to buy something. They would also be rude and unhelpful if you talked. Portland has a very competitive job market for lazy unskilled workers. It's pretty much the greatest/worst place that exists.

Lotta great places to run though.

naem
May 29, 2011

I liked portlandia until I realized I'm not wealthy enough to be one of the people they're making fun of

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fee Fi Fo Fum, I smell the blood of the cishet scum!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Microaggression. Microaggression never changes.

The end of Portland occurred pretty much as we had predicted. Too many feminists, not enough safe spaces or bookstores to go around. The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely feminist ones.

Portland was nearly wiped clean of life. A great cleansing, an atomic shitpost, struck by MRA hands, quickly raged out of control. Memes of nuclear fire rained from the internet. Websites were swallowed in memes and fell beneath the boiling shitposts. Feminism was almost extinguished, its spirits becoming part of the background blogs that blanketed the internet.

A quiet darkness fell across Portland, lasting many years. Few survived the devastation. Some had been fortunate enough to reach safety, taking shelter in great underground bookstores. When the great darkness passed, these bookstores opened, and their inhabitants emerged to begin their lives again.

One of the northern tribes claims they are descended from one such Bookstore. They hold that their founder and ancestor, one known as the "Book Keeper," once saved the world from a great evil. According to their legend, this evil arose in the far south. It corrupted all it touched, twisting wymyn inside, turning them into shitlords. Only through the bravery of this Book Keeper was the evil destroyed. But in so doing, Xe lost many of Xir blog-readers and suffered greatly, sacrificing much of ximself to save Portland.

When at last xe returned to the home xe had fought so hard to protect, xe was cast out. Exiled. In confronting that which they feared, xe had become something else in their eyes...and no longer their champion.

Forsaken by xir readers, xe strode into Real Life. Xe traveled far to the north, until xe came to the great canyons. There, xe founded a small village, Arroyo, where xe lived out the rest of his years. And so, for a generation since its founding, Arroyo has lived in peace, its canyons sheltering it from the outside world. It is home. Your home.

But the scars left by the war have not yet healed. And Portland has not forgotten.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

new phone who dis posted:

Breitbart.com has learned that the feminist bookstore intends to use crowdfunding to infuse the soul of Andrea Dworkin into a flesh golem composed primarily of congealed menstrual blood using the forbidden arts of cunnilingus and necromancy.

Bullshit lol. Andrea Dworkin won't return until the age of tenth-wave feminism. Everyone knows this.

The Next Waves Of Feminism posted:

Fourth wave – All regular women will become Catwomen. All Catwomen will become twenty feet tall and perch upon thrones of pearl and of onyx. All cats will gain the ability to laugh like humans, but not to speak.

Fifth wave – The same as the fourth wave, but all Goombas are replaced by Buzzy Beetles, and all enemies walk faster; all of the elevator-style lifts are about sixty-percent of their original size, while Firebars appear in all possible locations

Sixth wave – Straight cis men will have evolved into a Morlock-like species of sled dog that lead sleighs loaded down with ice queens in fur capes across a frozen landscape. There will be forty-seven new genders, one of which is capable of breathing fire. None of them will be able to agree upon whether or not Game of Thrones was feminist.

Seventh wave – The seventh wave of feminism will take place in a dimension catty-corner to our own, and we will not notice it, except for two junior staffers at the Large Hadron Collider.

Eighth wave – Dance-off.

Ninth wave – Every feminist from the second wave will rise reanimated from the grave and terrorize the living. Millions will perish.

Tenth wave – One of the Seven Worthies will wield the sword of the King Under The Mountain, waking Andrea Dworkin from her dreamless sleep beneath the Sunless Sea.

Eleventh wave – Remember those massive, eternal, Olympus-sized waves on the black-hole planet on Interstellar that killed the astronaut who was also the bearded guy in the Hunger Games? Like that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Smythe posted:

The Feminist Bookstore is going to own me, and I'm going to like it. It's going to pummel me with rare, limited edition books of theory and prose and poetry until I'm reduced to paste. It's going to clobber my rear end, balls, and weakling boy-body with manuscripts and nice thick heavy coffee table photo books. It's going to strap me down on the floor between the massive hard shelves and cut me into pieces with paper. I will be bound and gagged with a giant dream catcher as interpretive dancers rip me limb from limb to a 5000db acoustic janis joplin track in their impossibly tight unitards. my horney level is my demise im strung out jacked up and freaked out because tonight my friends tonight is the night i am buried beneath the never-ending catacombs of The Feminist Bookstore from Portlandia.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
President Trump ascends to the podium. He is wearing a red power tie and the smirk of a man who has bested all of his haters. Americans look on silent, mouths agape. He begins to speak.
"The feminist bookstore from Portlandia."
The words ring out over Washington, over America, over the world. He lets them hang in the air momentarily. Then, again,
"The feminist bookstore from Portlandia,"
this time slightly louder. Bemused, but captivated, the American people feel their mouths forming the shape of those words. Those immortal words that would change so much.
"The feminist bookstore from Portlandia! The feminist bookstore from Portlandia!"
Over and over he says the words, growing from a statement to a yell to a howl and then beyond anything we have any words to express, leading America in her birth-chant, now pounding his fist on the podium in rhythm with the words, a chest compression for a whole country at once. The people become restless as they shout the words along with him. They pace, rock, gnash teeth. Grown men fall to the ground and pound their fists.
"THE FEMINIST BOOKSTORE FROM PORTLANDIA. THE FEMINIST BOOKSTORE FROM PORTLANDIA."
So loud now that it is less of a sound than a tremor. He has pounded so hard for so long that the flesh is broken. Blood splashes from the podium onto nearby dignitaries. America rages along. Noses bleed, people tear at their clothes and flesh. Hair is pulled, and teeth broken. People scream, cry, wail, barely coherent, slobbering from their mouths, naked and covered in blood, muddy, broken, crawling on the ground, soiling themselves, panting and gasping for life, for America. The elderly breathe their death rattles.
"THE FEMINIST BOOKSTORE FROM PORTLANDIA."

Eventually it would stop. No one knows precisely when. Perhaps long after the ash and blood cleared, perhaps before. The earth was inexorably scarred by the vibrations. Canyons and valleys opened to the deluge of noise and kinetic force as they once had to the unhalting march of the glaciers. America, of course, was gone. Its people, its culture, its symbols, all that it had built vanished from the earth. All except for single one-story building in the Pacific northwest.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jeez they have been making fun of comic book stores for decades now and they're basically the male version of a feminist bookstore. At least a comic book store knows its place though.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I'm not gonna buy any books from that store

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The missionaries were here again to talk to me about The Feminist Bookstore from Portlandia. This time they want the male child as well.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
what exactly is a safe space and how do I get one in my bathroom so no one knocks on the goddamn door while i'm in there reading my Stephen King novels

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They don't sound like very fun people and I hope their dumb store goes out of business.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The feminist bookstore from Portlandia.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what feminist bookstore, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Portlandia to be born?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
the feminist bookstore spinoff luelinks "portlandia"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Kelp Me! posted:

jesus loving christ I rescind my request

I feel like I need to show that image to someone else within 24 hours or it will come through the screen and bite my face off

i want to gently caress it

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

ElGroucho posted:

what exactly is a safe space and how do I get one in my bathroom so no one knocks on the goddamn door while i'm in there reading my Stephen King novels
Hang this on your bathroom door.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Kelp Me! posted:

I once walked into a strange new age christian bookstore and they reacted as if I had walked broken into their house. I think someone hissed at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
The earth groans. A chill wind blows the withered leaves away from an ancient stone in which the following has been carved: THE FEMINIST BOOKSTORE FROM PORTLANDIA

• Locked thread