Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
Porky Pig: The feminist a-behh-a-behh-a-behhh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

In Other Words supports the safety of our staff, volunteers, and patrons. By entering In Other Words and/or participating in our events, discussions, and activities (both on the physical space and online), you agree to abide by the following guidelines:

-Cishetero-patriarchy exists, white supremacy exists, ableism exists, racism exists, colonialism never ended, capitalism is bad. This is not a space where we argue about the basics of the situation. We learn and grow together, we do not gaslight each other and we do not minimize or deny experiences with oppression.

-Oppressive, abusive, or reactionary language and behavior of any kind will be interrupted and challenged in all IOW spaces and work.

-Respect, embrace, and defend the identities and complexities of all people and all life.

-Do not tolerate threats – in any form – to the safety of any member of our organization or any part of the communities In Other Words is accountable to. If you see it, interrupt it. If it’s not safe to interrupt, tell someone as soon as you can.

-Respect the boundaries, consent, and emotional and bodily autonomy of all persons and ask about them – do not assume to know them. Unequivocally believe and fight for survivors of rape, trauma, and abuse.

-Be accountable. If you are called out for oppressive words or actions listen and then immediately change your behavior. What you meant is less important than what you do after you’ve hurt someone. Own your actions and own your poo poo.

-The collective volunteers and staff at In Other Words are empowered to enforce these rules. We reserve the right to ask any individual who cannot abide by our Safer Space Policy to leave the physical or online space.

This was the unbounded power of eloquence—of words—of burning noble words. There were no practical hints to interrupt the magic current of phrases, unless a kind of note at the foot of the last page, scrawled evidently much later, in an unsteady hand, may be regarded as the exposition of a method. It was very simple, and at the end of that moving appeal to every altruistic sentiment it blazed at you, luminous and terrifying, like a flash of lightning in a serene sky:

'Exterminate all the brutes!'

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MiracleWhale posted:

Gay Shame SF, an intersectional political action group which is every bit as sane and reasonable as its name suggests, had a stenciling campaign where they spray painted "DIY business is still gentrification" on the sidewalk in front of hip local businesses in the mission neighborhood of SF. hilariously they spray painted this message in front of Modern Times Bookstore which is not only a local DIY business that has been there since the 70s, but is also the place where Gay Shame SF meets, infuriating the owners to the point where they almost got forbidden from returning there.

http://www.mattildabernsteinsycamore.com/maximum/maximum_may2006.html

quote:

In the service of a complete response, I'm not personally concerned with whether a tactic is perceived as "chickenshit,"which I guess must be the opposite of "brave, strong, fight it out like a man,"or "talk things through and come to a compromise like a mature citizen." One of the strengths of Gay Shame is that we are not afraid of talking about issues that actually matter instead of bowing to the false unity so common in supposed cultures of resistance. As for me personally, I find nothing more horrifying, depressing, alienating or heartbreaking than seeing brilliant, creative and challenging people sucked into a zombified hipster mentality that sees a DIY aesthetic as the alternative to critical engagement.

:eyepop: Holy moley.

Back to the BJDs...

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

Moon Atari posted:

I once walked into a strange new age christian bookstore and they reacted as if I had walked broken into their house. I think someone hissed at me.

In London, ages ago, I walked into a storefront sporting huge signs about a "free personality test and free book" or whatever and the very nice people gave me a form where I ticked boxes and then they gave me a copy of Ron L. Hubbard's "Dianetics" book and sent me on my merry way. I was 13 years old at the time and just visiting London from Finland and spending a day touristing around some shops, so I'm hoping you can forgive me for being a retard. For about twenty years, I poo poo you not, I was sent the quite hilarious Scientology Newsletter to the absurdly misspelled address printed on the envelope. I must give proper cudos to the Finnish Postal Service for 20 years of deciphering what "20 Waseus Place" actually meant and redirecting it to a proper address. I have moved a few times since then, so I don't know if it's still being sent there, but I do miss those lovely offers of paying £12.000 for a weekend camp that would "enlighten me" and "raise my level" or whatnot.

Edit: Vasaesplanaden 20 :)

autoaim.cfg fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 1, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Initiates into the inner circle of Scientology learn that the cause of all human misery is possession by the angry spirit of the feminist bookstore from Portlandia

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
Feminist bookstore from Portlandia SMASH!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Toph Bei Fong posted:

:eyepop: Holy moley.

Back to the BJDs...

sick rear end avs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ironically enough the man dolls from those doll posts look like the kind of dude one might find in Portland

specifically in the feminist bookstore from Portlandia

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

The feminist bookstore from Portlandia is watching you masturbate.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Doody-Free Shop posted:

The feminist bookstore from Portlandia is watching you masturbate.

why does it like making itself angry?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Microaggression. Microaggression never changes.

The end of Portland occurred pretty much as we had predicted. Too many feminists, not enough safe spaces or bookstores to go around. The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely feminist ones.

Portland was nearly wiped clean of life. A great cleansing, an atomic shitpost, struck by MRA hands, quickly raged out of control. Memes of nuclear fire rained from the internet. Websites were swallowed in memes and fell beneath the boiling shitposts. Feminism was almost extinguished, its spirits becoming part of the background blogs that blanketed the internet.

A quiet darkness fell across Portland, lasting many years. Few survived the devastation. Some had been fortunate enough to reach safety, taking shelter in great underground bookstores. When the great darkness passed, these bookstores opened, and their inhabitants emerged to begin their lives again.

One of the northern tribes claims they are descended from one such Bookstore. They hold that their founder and ancestor, one known as the "Book Keeper," once saved the world from a great evil. According to their legend, this evil arose in the far south. It corrupted all it touched, twisting wymyn inside, turning them into shitlords. Only through the bravery of this Book Keeper was the evil destroyed. But in so doing, Xe lost many of Xir blog-readers and suffered greatly, sacrificing much of ximself to save Portland.

When at last xe returned to the home xe had fought so hard to protect, xe was cast out. Exiled. In confronting that which they feared, xe had become something else in their eyes...and no longer their champion.

Forsaken by xir readers, xe strode into Real Life. Xe traveled far to the north, until xe came to the great canyons. There, xe founded a small village, Arroyo, where xe lived out the rest of his years. And so, for a generation since its founding, Arroyo has lived in peace, its canyons sheltering it from the outside world. It is home. Your home.

But the scars left by the war have not yet healed. And Portland has not forgotten.

also, this is amazing

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh feminist bookstore Portlandia wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Kelp Me! posted:

You mean I wouldn't be committing a microaggression by inserting my cishet self into a feminist safe space? That's a relief

Your existence is a microaggression

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

Your existence is a microaggression

rude :mad:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I'd like to think a feminist bookstore would be a good place for getting scholarly anthropology books on women's issues, but I know that it's probably all self-published garbage and weirdo Green Party stuff, just like every other indie bookstore.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Question: What is everyone's stance on New Age Bookstore?

I think they are interesting because there are lot of books about kundalini and goddess power, and sex tantra and Native American shamanism and Wiccan stuff. The people in there are stoned or eating shrooms and super laid back and believe anything about everything. The whole place smells like nice incense and scented candles. As a kid, I enjoyed looking at the stickers with my cousin while my aunt shopped for her weird books.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Haier posted:

Question: What is everyone's stance on New Age Bookstore?

I think they are interesting because there are lot of books about kundalini and goddess power, and sex tantra and Native American shamanism and Wiccan stuff. The people in there are stoned or eating shrooms and super laid back and believe anything about everything. The whole place smells like nice incense and scented candles. As a kid, I enjoyed looking at the stickers with my cousin while my aunt shopped for her weird books.

It's all really goofy dumb poo poo written by goofballs, but it's harmless and it's also fun as gently caress to see all the minerals sorted by Midichlorian count and Buddha riding Krishna statues and poo poo.

cup holder full of dimes
Oct 1, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

FactsAreUseless posted:

The feminist bookstore from Portlandia.
Haha, yeah, i know right.

whats it like being so funny man?

what fun forum

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

reporting in from portland. tried asking about the bookstore, got a bunch of doors slammed in my face....seems the natives won't talk. superstitious lot. they know the bookstore, and they fear it. but i smell a story in the way their eyes dart around and they lick their lips

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quote:

Attempts by the Willamette Week seeking elaboration were answered first with demands that the paper promote its online fundraising campaign.
you know it's late stage capitalism when supposedly left-wing people demand money for bestowing their wokeness upon others

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

KiteAuraan posted:

It's all really goofy dumb poo poo written by goofballs, but it's harmless and it's also fun as gently caress to see all the minerals sorted by Midichlorian count and Buddha riding Krishna statues and poo poo.

Holy poo poo, how could I forget the tupperware of sorted crystals? And beads! So many beads! And Tarot card sets!

Oh man. I wish my house smelled like a New Age bookstore.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Have a business trip to Portland this upcoming Monday. I've thought about stopping by the feminist bookstore. Powell's is cool and all but I've been there enough.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless shelves of books
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk microaggressions lie, ableism,
Lack of safe space, and lack of my pronouns,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Feminist Book Shop;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Non feminist book stores really need to get their poo poo together imo.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Hmm feminism being the embodiment of :rolleyes: again, what a surprise

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

MiracleWhale posted:

Gay Shame SF, an intersectional political action group which is every bit as sane and reasonable as its name suggests, had a stenciling campaign where they spray painted "DIY business is still gentrification" on the sidewalk in front of hip local businesses in the mission neighborhood of SF. hilariously they spray painted this message in front of Modern Times Bookstore which is not only a local DIY business that has been there since the 70s, but is also the place where Gay Shame SF meets, infuriating the owners to the point where they almost got forbidden from returning there.

Very good.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Haier posted:

Holy poo poo, how could I forget the tupperware of sorted crystals? And beads! So many beads! And Tarot card sets!

Oh man. I wish my house smelled like a New Age bookstore.

It can, you just need to light incense and keep a bunch in packets around. My room smells like one and that's what I do.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MiracleWhale posted:

tbh i wish this san francisco still existed, and not the Wall Street West But With Tech that it is today

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

get that OUT of my face posted:

you know it's late stage capitalism when supposedly left-wing people demand money for bestowing their wokeness upon others

"It's not my job to educate you."

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Curl_like_smoke posted:

"It's not my job to educate you."

If they really cared about the stuff they ramble on about they would be willing to do it for free. I impart my knowledge of pre-contact Southwestern US ceramics and their role in society free of charge because I have passion.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Capitalism is bad, but begging people to give you money so you can stay failing in business is fine. But wait--where does that money really come from? Is it all donations, all the way down? is there a chain of donors giving to each other freely so that the others may survive? Or does capitalism--evil, masculine capitalism--thrust its way into the pure ring of donation, forever bloodying it with the force of its power? What if this is really the case, and not immaculate donation?

Aroused to fury by this chain of thought, the Feminist Bookstore began devouring the capitalists who sullied her floors.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

get that OUT of my face posted:

tbh i wish this san francisco still existed, and not the Wall Street West But With Tech that it is today

the whole point is that it's all been chased to the pnw now. regan owed much of his political career to the hippies of berkely/sf; trump (or whatever comes after trump if he does not succeed) will owe much of his political fortune to the seattle/portland robocops

i do very much agree tho

Slow-Scan Shep fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 1, 2016

naem
May 29, 2011

Moon Atari posted:

I once walked into a strange new age christian bookstore and they reacted as if I had walked broken into their house. I think someone hissed at me.

This is how bike shops work too

Like you walked into their secret basement clubhouse. Like all the stuff on the walls with prices are theirs and they can't believe you just, walked in here

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

curiously enough this is also how women describe the experience of walking into a game/comic/etc store

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
We drove out the hipsters from the Great Rockies and Portlandia and took the First Hall. We slew many in the bright sun in the dale. Flói was killed by an arrow. He slew the great Vape... Flói under grass near Sturgeon... We have taken the Twenty-first Hall of Brentwood-Darlington to dwell in. There is good air ... that can easily be watched ... the 205 is clear ... Balin has set up his seat in the Chamber of Killingsworth... gathered ... IPAs ... wonderful lay Durin's Axe ... silver helm. Balin has taken them for his own. Balin is now lord of Portsmouth. ... today we found bookstore ... well-forged shelves ...n ... tomes made all of purest mithril ... Óin to seek for the upper shelves of the Third Floor ... go westwards to s... to Feminist gate.

r…(ye)ars since ... ready sorrow ... yesterday being the tenth of November Balin, lord of Killingsworth, fell in the Bookstore. He went alone to look in Sturgeon. A SJW shot him from behind a book. We slew the SJW, but many more ca(me) ... up from east up the Fairview ... we rescued Balin’s body ...re a sharp battle ... we have barred the gates but doubt if ... can hold them long. If there is ... no escape it will be a horrible fate to suffer, but I shall hold.

We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the bridge and I5. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there bravely while the rest retr ... In Other Words. We still ho...g ... but hope u...n... Óin’s party went five days ago but today only four returned. The pool is up to the wall at Albina. The Watcher in the Florida Room took Óin -- we cannot get out. The end comes soon. We hear the bookstore, the bookstore in the deep.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Enophos posted:

This was the unbounded power of eloquence—of words—of burning noble words. There were no practical hints to interrupt the magic current of phrases, unless a kind of note at the foot of the last page, scrawled evidently much later, in an unsteady hand, may be regarded as the exposition of a method. It was very simple, and at the end of that moving appeal to every altruistic sentiment it blazed at you, luminous and terrifying, like a flash of lightning in a serene sky:

'Exterminate all the brutes!'

this poo poo always amuses me. Its a bunch of well off leftists who hate themselves because they are rich as gently caress and so they beat themselves and try to become "socialy progressive" Flagellants who steal all their arguments and systems from the christian right. they bitch about gentrification when they are one of the main causes of it. Does rape culture/toxic masculinty/privledge exist. of course it loving does. but these shitheads arnt suffering from it all. Like i dont get it. you can be socially progressive/leftist as gently caress and not come off as loving cult memeber. but that seems to be their MO.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this poo poo always amuses me. Its a bunch of well off leftists who hate themselves because they are rich as gently caress and so they beat themselves and try to become "socialy progressive" Flagellants who steal all their arguments and systems from the christian right. they bitch about gentrification when they are one of the main causes of it. Does rape culture/toxic masculinty/privledge exist. of course it loving does. but these shitheads arnt suffering from it all. Like i dont get it. you can be socially progressive/leftist as gently caress and not come off as loving cult memeber. but that seems to be their MO.

huh thats not what I gathered from Heart of Darkness

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Through yellow smoke whirling into light

Buildings split, bridges collapsed

Crowded trams burnt as they rolled about

Portland, all full of boundless heaps of embers

Soon after, skin dangling like rags

With hands on breasts

Treading upon the spilt brains

Wearing shreds of burnt cloth round their loins

There came numberless lines of the naked

All fleeing

The Feminist Bookstore from Portlandia

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Ahab, were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in the feminist bookstore from Portlandia.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cup holder full of dimes
Oct 1, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Man, you are fukin hilarious.
Wish I was as funny as you!!!!

• Locked thread