Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
"Pritchard, I made it to a rooftop overlooking the Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia."

All right Jensen. The schematics show a ventilation shaft behind the building that could get you inside. Or if you actually paid attention to my briefing notes you shouldn't have trouble hacking through the security systems and marching right in.

"Stow the sarcasm, Pritchard. Just tell me if you're catching any com chatter nearby."

Everything is quiet in your vicinity. But Jensen, you should know that once you're inside I'm going to be blind. The Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia has very strict policies regarding activity on the premises and they have reserved the full authority to enforce them.

"If you can't bypass them just say so. This Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia is Angry, looks like I'll have to take care of it by myself."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bag em and tag em posted:

"Pritchard, I made it to a rooftop overlooking the Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia."

All right Jensen. The schematics show a ventilation shaft behind the building that could get you inside. Or if you actually paid attention to my briefing notes you shouldn't have trouble hacking through the security systems and marching right in.

"Stow the sarcasm, Pritchard. Just tell me if you're catching any com chatter nearby."

Everything is quiet in your vicinity. But Jensen, you should know that once you're inside I'm going to be blind. The Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia has very strict policies regarding activity on the premises and they have reserved the full authority to enforce them.

"If you can't bypass them just say so. This Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia is Angry, looks like I'll have to take care of it by myself."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

Voodoo doughnuts is overrated and the Cocoa Crisps they put on their doughnuts are stale.
You should potentially question whether it's a good idea to buy donuts from a shop that once tried to use cough syrup as a topping.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

Voodoo doughnuts is overrated and the Cocoa Crisps they put on their doughnuts are stale.

They opened one up in Austin, stalest drat cereal ever

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Turdsdown Tom posted:

well based on their mission statement they'd have to immediately listen to me and change their ways. seems like a good idea
They addressed this in their comment section.

It basically ended up being "Yeah, real sorry about being first wave gentrifiers, but, uh, we gave the store to some blacks and really feature a space to discuss the effects of cishet gentrifipatriochy, so we good fam!"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Kelp Me! posted:

Pretty much.

I can understand the idea of wanting to make a space comfortable for everyone, but this seems a bit excessive

Seems a bit extreme for a small bookshop IMO. I get the feeling that as a cishet male I would instantly be judged by every single person in that shop the second I walked in.
Gbs hates women

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
#NotAllBookstores

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Gbs hates women

ah yes, the old "if you disagree with anything a 'feminist' does you hate women, regardless of if it is even tangentially related to feminism" argument, I'm amazed we got 8 pages in before it popped up

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm going to celebrate when Kate Millet dies.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

I mean this beyond parody

"idle rich white women are transformed into brave warriors by inheritance-funded vanity project" is something people are aren't idle rich white women fall for in current year?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Kelp Me! posted:

ah yes, the old "if you disagree with anything a 'feminist' does you hate women, regardless of if it is even tangentially related to feminism" argument, I'm amazed we got 8 pages in before it popped up

Actually we've already had several posters visibly upset that gbs is making fun of a feminist bookstore from portlandia and i was poking fun at them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Actually we've already had several posters visibly upset that gbs is making fun of a feminist bookstore from portlandia and i was poking fun at them.

where?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Feminism is better today thanks to these brave women.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm referring to Fred Armisen, in case that wasn't clear.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
The proper place for a feminist bookstore is in the kitchen. The feminist bookstore should loosen up a bit, go out with that nice Barnes and Noble down the street.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

just out of spite i'm going to order a couple of bell hooks texts off of Amazon

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

skeevy achievements posted:

I mean this beyond parody
There's actually lots of people making jokes ITT, try it sometime!

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
The feminist bookstore from Portlandia sighed as xe drew xir katana.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's actually lots of people making jokes ITT, try it sometime!

I'm deadly serious... deadly serious about *rereads op, voice goes into hardcore rising inflection* feminist bookstore???

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I met also that which had been her grandmother. For eighty thousand years Pth’thya-l’yi had lived in B’ea-ver-ton, and thither she had gone back after Obed Marsh was dead. B’ea-ver-ton was not destroyed when the upper-earth men shot death into the sea. It was hurt, but not destroyed. The Deep Ones could never be destroyed, even though the palaeogean magic of the forgotten Old Ones might sometimes check them. For the present they would rest; but some day, if they remembered, they would rise again for the tribute Great Cthulhu craved. It would be a city greater than Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia next time. They had planned to spread, and had brought up that which would help them, but now they must wait once more. For bringing the upper-earth men’s death I must do a penance, but that would not be heavy. This was the dream in which I saw a shoggoth for the first time, and the sight set me awake in a frenzy of screaming. That morning the mirror definitely told me I had acquired the Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia look.

So far I have not shot myself as my uncle Kurt did. I bought an automatic and almost took the step, but certain dreams deterred me. The tense extremes of horror are lessening, and I feel queerly drawn toward the unknown sea-deeps instead of fearing them. I hear and do strange things in sleep, and awake with a kind of exaltation instead of terror. I do not believe I need to wait for the full change as most have waited. If I did, my father would probably shut me up in a sanitarium as my poor little cousin is shut up. Stupendous and unheard-of splendours await me below, and I shall seek them soon. Iä-R’lyeh! Cthulhu fhtagn! Iä! Iä! No, I shall not shoot myself—I cannot be made to shoot myself!
I shall plan my cousin’s escape from that Canton madhouse, and together we shall go to marvel-shadowed Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia. We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to Cyclopean and many-columned B'ea-ver-ton, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Lets strike out against a comedic duo that consists of a bisexual woman and a mixed race man. That's a real blow against racism and misogyny

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
It cost me my career, my marriage. Let's face it, it's cost me my life. But I've peeled back the layers of this rotten onion and now I can see the blackened core of this whole sick operation.

How many hard working black families were priced out of their homes? How many artisan toast shops funded with the blood of innocent people just trying to get by? I don't know the real answer, and I don't think anyone ever will. But one things I do know is that the locus point around which this whole festering operation spins is the Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia. Bleeding this city dry and sucking the marrow from it's bones.

It's all there in my files. I followed the breadcrumbs one by one. Shell corps, coverups, fraud, extortion... Murder. I'm giving you these documents because I have a feeling I'm probably next, because I know the secret, and The Feminist Bookstore From Portlandia is angry.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The only thing from Portlandia that I've ever watched was that sketch they did on Battlestar Galactica

It was okay, I laughed a few times. I forget how it ends.

The angry feminist bookstore from Portlandia! sounds pretty funny, maybe I should watch it? I dunno.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Did you know that if you spell the phrase "feminist bookstore" on the fridge with fridge magnets the fridge will become a for real feminist bookstore? All your food will become feminist books and if you open the door after closing hours tiny feminists will be having a book club meeting in the crisper.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
I've only watched the first season of portlandia and I enjoyed it but I guess I'm supposed to think it's dumb and bad??

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

I've only watched the first season of portlandia and I enjoyed it but I guess I'm supposed to think it's dumb and bad??

So it's just like Portland

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I've taken on and bested countless bookstores. I'll rumble with a feminist any day of the week. But a feminist bookstore, and one from Portlandia? What can I do against such reckless anger?

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
the portlandia spinoff feminist "eti"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lfg feminist bookstore from Portlandia SRS RAIDERS ONLY

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
Just watched Inside Out (2015). I thought it was pretty good, particularly the way they dramatized the protagonist's emotional fluctuations through the characters of Joy, Sadness, Disgust, Fear, and Feminist Bookstore from Portlandia.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Explosive Tampons posted:

the portlandia spinoff feminist "eti"

FactsAreUseless are we allowed to emptyquote in gbs now?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

1-Oh man my bookstore died I'm so sad, Herman Munster.

2-Yer bookstore died? If yeh bury your bookstore in the bookstore cemetery it'll come back. But sometimes dead media is betta.

1-yeah, whatever *buries bookstore in bookstore cemetery. Bookstore comes back as feminist bookstore*

3-penises are the wooooorst

1-lol, man I really beefed this one.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

lfg feminist bookstore from Portlandia SRS RAIDERS ONLY
Too many seasons have gone by and its' past the enrage timer, gonna be a total party wipe.

naem
May 29, 2011

I hope to HECK that Fred armiston and/or Carrie brondsteim are reading this thread right now (hi guis!!)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sout posted:

FactsAreUseless are we allowed to emptyquote in gbs now?
Yes, but also that same post was made several pages ago. So you should emptyquote both.

naem
May 29, 2011

Portland, Oregon:

What if Cleveland, Ohio were invaded by callifornians with trust funds/ tech money

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

misty mountaintop posted:

Just watched Inside Out (2015). I thought it was pretty good, particularly the way they dramatized the protagonist's emotional fluctuations through the characters of Joy, Sadness, Disgust, Fear, and Feminist Bookstore from Portlandia.
The four classical humors: sanguine, choleric, melancholic, and the feminist bookstore from Portlandia.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

naem posted:

Portland, Oregon:

What if Cleveland, Ohio were invaded by callifornians with trust funds/ tech money
I don't know, but Cleveland, Ohio doesn't have the feminist bookstore from Portlandia. I can tell you this: if Portland was invaded by Californians with trust funds/tech money, they'd have to deal with the city's almighty guardian: the feminist bookstore from Portlandia.

naem
May 29, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't know, but Cleveland, Ohio doesn't have the feminist bookstore from Portlandia. I can tell you this: if Portland was invaded by Californians with trust funds/tech money, they'd have to deal with the city's almighty guardian: the feminist bookstore from Portlandia.

https://youtu.be/ysmLA5TqbIY
https://youtu.be/3sDFoJ22sKY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[the end of Princess Mononoke, but the giant forest spirit is the feminist bookstore from Portlandia]

• Locked thread