Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Kelp Me! posted:

FAU can we change the thread topic to asian ball jointed doll photography pls

Hit up Den of Angels for all your Asian BJD related questions and concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MiracleWhale posted:

Gay Shame SF, an intersectional political action group which is every bit as sane and reasonable as its name suggests, had a stenciling campaign where they spray painted "DIY business is still gentrification" on the sidewalk in front of hip local businesses in the mission neighborhood of SF. hilariously they spray painted this message in front of Modern Times Bookstore which is not only a local DIY business that has been there since the 70s, but is also the place where Gay Shame SF meets, infuriating the owners to the point where they almost got forbidden from returning there.

http://www.mattildabernsteinsycamore.com/maximum/maximum_may2006.html

quote:

In the service of a complete response, I'm not personally concerned with whether a tactic is perceived as "chickenshit,"which I guess must be the opposite of "brave, strong, fight it out like a man,"or "talk things through and come to a compromise like a mature citizen." One of the strengths of Gay Shame is that we are not afraid of talking about issues that actually matter instead of bowing to the false unity so common in supposed cultures of resistance. As for me personally, I find nothing more horrifying, depressing, alienating or heartbreaking than seeing brilliant, creative and challenging people sucked into a zombified hipster mentality that sees a DIY aesthetic as the alternative to critical engagement.

:eyepop: Holy moley.

Back to the BJDs...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

loquacius posted:

The Elder Gods stir. They are powerful. They are displeased. And they are making their displeasure known, using the "Algerian" typeface.

quote:

"Do not seek validation from systems that seek to oppress you. Do not forget that widely held perceptions of successful employment, education, marriage, and family have white supremacist patriarchal roots. When you purportedly fail in these institutions, you are resisting oppression. You are a warrior."

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

This much I'm certain of: it doesn't happen immediately. You'll finish [the book] and that will be that, until a moment will come, maybe in a month, maybe a year, maybe even several years. You'll be sick or feeling troubled or deeply in love or quietly uncertain or even content for the first time in your life. It won't matter. Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them to be at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were. You'll detect slow and subtle shifts going on all around you, more importantly shifts in you. Worse, you'll realize it's always been shifting, like a shimmer of sorts, a vast shimmer, only dark like a room. But you won't understand why or how. You'll have forgotten what granted you this awareness in the first place.

You might try then, as I did, to find a sky so full of stars it will blind you again. Only no sky can blind you now. Even with all that iridescent magic up there, your eye will no longer linger on the light, it will no longer trace constellations. You'll care only about the darkness and you'll watch it for hours, for days, maybe even for years, trying in vain to believe you're some kind of indispensable, universe-appointed sentinel, as if just by looking you could actually keep it all at bay. It will get so bad you'll be afraid to look away, you'll be afraid to sleep.

Then no matter where you are, in a crowded restaurant or on some desolate street or even in the comforts of your own home, you'll watch yourself dismantle every assurance you ever lived by. You'll stand aside as a great complexity intrudes, tearing apart, piece by piece, all of your carefully conceived denials, whether deliberate or unconscious. And then for better or worse you'll turn, unable to resist, though try to resist you still will, fighting with everything you've got not to face the thing you most dread, what is now, what will be, what has always come before, the creature you truly are, the creature we all are, the Feminist Bookstore from Portlandia.

And then the Anger will begin.

• Locked thread