Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'm a professional alcoholic now, but a few years back when I first started drinking heavily, I killed almost a whole fifth of Hawkeye vodka by myself, passed out, and woke up feeling like I had the poo poo beat out of me. I took some medicine for the headache, dragged my drunk rear end to the liquor store next door and got one of those Sparks energy/beer things, chugged that, tried to take a bath, thinking the warm water would help.

I had to crawl out a few minutes later to puke my guts out. At least I made it to the toilet. The memory is kinda hazy, but I think I spent most of my day falling in and out of consciousness, and thowing up.

Medicine and milk are the worst things to throw up, I don't recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Hahaha weaksauce bruh lol.

Personally I think it depends on a lot of factors. You can get super drunk one night and be fine the next day but then another time you might wake up with a headache that literally lasts for hours and hours. It's probably something to do with what you ate, how much water you've had, the frequency you drank, etc.
I'm no science man, however.

E: oh yeah not REALLY a hangover but there was also that one night I was drinking all night at my ex's birthday party and right before I went to bed while we were straightening up a bit for some reason I decided it would be a good idea to chug what was left of a lovely cherry four loko. I woke up in the middle of the night still half drunk and looking for the bathroom, luckily my ex saw me covering my mouth and directed my shambling form to the actual door out of her room because I nearly threw up in her closet.
Good times.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 1, 2016

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Sounds like it - the stuff from the barrels was fantastic before this barrel, I guess I know now why there was so much in it!
It didn't make me blind though, and hearing my doctor advise me to "drink whiskey" was a very odd thing - thought I was having auditory hallucinations for a bit.
But I'm still alive!

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It's when you stop having hangovers that you need to worry.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

It's when you stop having hangovers that you need to worry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP7NkXh7HbA

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I once spent an entire week drunk. I drank all day, went to sleep drunk, woke up still drunk, and started drinking at breakfast. Repeat for five days.
The hangover after that nearly put me in the hospital. It was so bad that I could taste rum in my eyesockets. Like, I was literally getting taste sensations out of my tear ducts.
That was five years ago and I have not been drunk since and rarely have more than one or two drinks every few months.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got really drunk and then smoked a bunch of pot. I was hung over for like a day and a half

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
That's weird as hell. Pot usually has the opposite effect. It makes a hangover much easier to deal with.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

weed is illegal

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

That's weird as hell. Pot usually has the opposite effect. It makes a hangover much easier to deal with.

Yeah honestly wake and bake is an incredibly good cure for a hangover

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

The only time I've ever blacked out was at a party where me and some other already-drunk people decided it'd be a cool idea to keep refilling the punch bowl with sour mix and whatever liquor was lying around. I spent the rest of the weekend in bed and consuming nothing but crackers and ginger ale.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

An entire bottle of cheapo Lidl bourbon in about 4 hours killed me for the next two days. Couldn't even drink water or sleep because i kept throwing up and my head felt like it was going to explode.

Time traveled at one of my friends 30th birthdays. Started doing shots of Jim Beam at about 8pm - *scene missing* - woke up the next day at around 2pm back home in bed with zero clue of how i got there and my house is about 10km from the bar we were in. Full day hangover there whilst i tried to piece together what happened from other people who were there.

I'm real good at drinking bourbon.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
"Pukefest 2006" aka Puke-a-mania

A spirit club called the Hellraisers at the University of Texas (the guys who paints their faces and chests for the games-- you might have seen them on TV) used to host an annual party called Puke Fest. There were 13 stations set up each with a different shot and after each shot you would get a letter written on your forearm; the goal being to write T-E-X-A-S L-O-N-G-H-O-R-N-S down your forearms.

Freshman typically blasted through all of the letters in an hour or so and bragged about how great they felt until *POW*, vomiting in the backyard. Considering myself a 'savvy' sophomore I only did "Texas LongH" before I stopped. For whatever reason that year the crowd was more aggressive than usual and people were puking everywhere. I remember carrying a few people who had been vomiting inside the house where the party was being held out back before I decided to get a ride home. Credit my Irish genes I guess, I made it home and never puked but the next day I legitimately though I had the flu. Deathly ill.

Runner up: Law School, end of the year party after my second year a 3L from my Taxation of Corporations class bought be a shot of fernet branca. It was a good 36 hours before I felt right.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

spudsbuckley posted:

An entire bottle of cheapo Lidl bourbon in about 4 hours killed me for the next two days. Couldn't even drink water or sleep because i kept throwing up and my head felt like it was going to explode.

Time traveled at one of my friends 30th birthdays. Started doing shots of Jim Beam at about 8pm - *scene missing* - woke up the next day at around 2pm back home in bed with zero clue of how i got there and my house is about 10km from the bar we were in. Full day hangover there whilst i tried to piece together what happened from other people who were there.

I'm real good at drinking bourbon.

I'm not sure if you meant that sarcastically or not, but I totally agree, you are good at drinking bourbon.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Jack isn't bourbon. It's Tennessee trash water.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Jack isn't bourbon. It's Tennessee trash water.

To be fair, he referred to Jim Beam as bourdon and JD is no worse than Jim Beam. But yes, under no circumstances should adults with paying jobs be drinking Jack Daniels.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Starman Super DX posted:

Personally I think it depends on a lot of factors. You can get super drunk one night and be fine the next day but then another time you might wake up with a headache that literally lasts for hours and hours. It's probably something to do with what you ate, how much water you've had, the frequency you drank, etc.

Yea if a goon in the know could enlighten us on this topic I'd appreciate it. Sometimes I'll drink a bunch of tall boys after a soccer game or bike ride and feel fine, other times I split a single bottle of red over a big dinner and wake up with my brain crashing against the back of my eyeballs. Sometimes I pass out for two hours on an empty stomach with no issue and other times I hydrate plenty and take an ibuprofen before eight hours of sleep and still get hosed in the brain stem.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
An empty stomach means the alcohol gets to your liver much faster, and is processed much faster - because it doesn't have stupid things like "food" to deal with.
That's why when you crack the seal and take your first piss of the night, after that you are destined to take a piss every one or two pints of beer.

And stupid poo poo like drinking pint of water before bed won't help, if you are truly drunk - you will still be drunk while you sleep and the enzyme/amino acid (alcohol dehydrogenase) will keep working/not working, whichever it does, so all you will do is make you wake up and piss out all that water, leading to a lovely night's sleep.

And on that note, time is the only cure for a bad hangover - or another GABA drug like diazepam, which can cure you right up.

The hair of the dog works fine, but only delays your hangover as your liver switches to metabolizing the lovely chemicals like methanol, and waits until they are clear before it starts trying to murder you again. But at least if you take it easy on the drinks, your hangover will happen while you are asleep the next night.

I find whiskey/whisky/bourbon kills me the next day - I can happily drink 10 pints over an evening, and wake up OK - but one whiskey on top of that and I am a zombie.

For some reason, despite the "congeners" theory, red wine leaves me fine, but white leaves me feeling like shite - no idea why.

Source - 40 year heavy drinker who has to be able to do my job 100% Monday-Friday, but also likes to drink a lot during the week. Normally drink well over 110 units a week.
Liver tests come back fine, but trust me - do the best of your drinking when you are younger, it hits you a lot less hard!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
*lists a series of stories that would interest no one outside of the other three alcoholics who were there and vaguely remember it, or anything in their life*

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end!

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

extra stout posted:

*lists a series of stories that would interest no one outside of the other three alcoholics who were there and vaguely remember it, or anything in their life*

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end!

I'm sick of your bullshit mate.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
years ago my buddy had just got out of the marines, we were way too well-behaved to drink when we were in high school, so we'd never got drunk together before and we planned a party to fix that

a couple days before the party i unexpectedly broke up with my girlfriend, i knew going in that drinking while depressed was bad news, but i decided "gently caress it the party will do me good to have friends around"

anyway one of the friends that showed up was pregnant with child and couldn't drink, so she egged us on to have drinks for her and kept telling us we "need another drink"

i blacked out sometime after 11pm, my buddy got to put his experience in the marines to good use as he helped me throw up into a bucket and get me upstairs into bed. i woke up in the morning still drunk and then later developed a massive hangover that lasted all weekend long. we drank friday night and it still hurt to move on sunday, hell i think i was still feeling fuzzy and crunchy on monday morning. i even had a subconjunctival hemorrhage that lasted for several days (it turned yellow and green as it faded)

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neurosis posted:

from 8:30am through 8PM i vomited i'd say every 5 minutes. what was strange was i hadn't even had that much, a bottle of whisky, which, sure is a fair bit, but is nothing i hadn't done before. it was day 2 of drinking so maybe that didn't help. i felt unto death.

lol this happened to me

the worst part was my bf was trying tos tudy for a comp sci exam and i woke him up and everyone else in the dorm. go me.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Ohnonotme posted:

I find whiskey/whisky/bourbon kills me the next day - I can happily drink 10 pints over an evening, and wake up OK - but one whiskey on top of that and I am a zombie.

For some reason, despite the "congeners" theory, red wine leaves me fine, but white leaves me feeling like shite - no idea why.

I'm the opposite, I can get tanked on brown liquors and white wines and be up next day no sweat, but getting just a little drunk on beers or reds cleaves my skull in two the next morning.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Applewhite posted:

I once spent an entire week drunk. I drank all day, went to sleep drunk, woke up still drunk, and started drinking at breakfast. Repeat for five days.
The hangover after that nearly put me in the hospital. It was so bad that I could taste rum in my eyesockets. Like, I was literally getting taste sensations out of my tear ducts.
That was five years ago and I have not been drunk since and rarely have more than one or two drinks every few months.

Milquetoast much? I drank more than that for 6, 7 years straight. Litre of vodka to start the day at 9am, with orange juice for breakfast. Keep drinking the lovely $9 a bottle stuff all day. 5 pints at lunchtime, another 3 or 4 at dinner. Then I'd go out drinking.
I went to university in Dundee, Scotland - the place is unbearable without being drunk.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Toadvine posted:

I'm the opposite, I can get tanked on brown liquors and white wines and be up next day no sweat, but getting just a little drunk on beers or reds cleaves my skull in two the next morning.

I would love to be able to drink like that, because I love whiskey, Armagnac, and a nice white wine - but the next day I just have the head wobblies all day long. and the hangover gets WORSE as the day goes on!

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
I woke up to a puke covered bed, realized I was late for work. Got to work puked up alcohol into a trash bin 10 minutes into shift. I had such a bad hangover I gave 0 shits about my job at that moment, went into my bosses office said I was going home and that I was very hung over and we could talk about this later. I don't know that I'm more shocked that he let me leave and drive home or that I wasn't fired.

Backstory: I did I don't even know how many shots that friends bought for me I started stacking shot shot glasses and some shattered, I was so drunk I tried eating the glass because I thought it was ice.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
7 triple bourbon and cokes the night before going to
Worlds of Fun with my girlfriend. Puked in the bar, puked abs poo poo everywhere in my girlfriends bathroom except the toilet.

Or

A 5 liter box of Franzia white zinfandel. That sucked.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Drank a bottle of everclear every day for like two weeks. Was sick the entire time of course, required detox when I stopped.

How the flying gently caress are you still alive?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The head of customer service at my former part-time job took about 8 of us out when one of the girls in the office was going through a divorce. Everything was on him (company credit card) and we all had steaks at a fairly expensive waterside restaurant and I had countless long islands, shots, and one of the guys ordered me a whiskey and Coke (his drink of choice) at one point. After that, we moved on to a bar in a little town a couple miles down the road and played pool. That's when it really caught up with me. My wife drove us home and poo poo was spinning for the entire 30 minute drive. We get toward the front door and I heave what looked like a pink meatloaf (regurgitated medium-rare steak) into the mulch. The next day I shoveled it up and tossed it into the retention pond next to my house. I had the most horrible headache ever and didn't do much the next day.

My late brother's homemade absinthe (with wormwood) was a real hangover inducer, but its delightful licorice flavor was just too delicious to pass up. There was always one guy hanging out at his house that I'd talk into matching shots of absinthe and it always ended with him puking after 1 or two shots of it.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress if I know, usually I'm fine within an Arnold palmer or two. Debilitating hangovers isn't a thing since I was real young and let it bother me

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
the worst kind of hangover is the one that sneaks up on you, you wake up feeling fine, sometimes even good, and then bam 2-3 hours later it comes full force

its bad because sometimes it doesn't hit, you never know if it will come or not :(

hangovers are a bit like gambling

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

AEMINAL posted:

the worst kind of hangover is the one that sneaks up on you, you wake up feeling fine, sometimes even good, and then bam 2-3 hours later it comes full force

its bad because sometimes it doesn't hit, you never know if it will come or not :(

hangovers are a bit like gambling

those are the worst ones because you drank enough to wake up still drunk, sobering up into a hangover is like a waking nightmare

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
all of my hangovers are like that. Uh oh.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Drank a bunch of cheap whiskey and knock off jaegermeister in Munich and had to spend the next day of a boat.

It was hell and I laid in a cool puddle of lake water and couldn't eat any of the massive and awesome boat buffet.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Zesty Mordant posted:

all of my hangovers are like that. Uh oh.

same

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Spent a couple months drinking bottom shelf bourbon, one afternoon I woke up shaking like crazy, unable to walk straight, and needing to take an explosive poo poo. Spent a whole week like that because I pretty much killed most of my intestinal flora and was withdrawing like hell.

Lost around 25 pounds though so it wasn't all bad.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
three or four years ago we did a halloween party that turned into something out of a movie, like there were people in my house I did not invite or even know at all and both floors were just packed with people doing stupid poo poo and there was just so much booze

we started off with jello shots, then into some really, REALLY good jungle juice my wife made, and then as my buzz was growing, my friend decided to make us screwdrivers, and at that point it becomes hazy, but I ended up polishing off an entire bottle of choya plum wine myself, as well as a few beers [and one beer bong], numerous other mixed drinks, a bottle of really good sake with the help of a friend of mine, and a few swigs straight off of various bottles

I was hung over for several days and didn't drink for months, I still have problems with plum wine despite loving it before this

the worst part of all was the beer bong was loving busch, but by then I was too drink to taste anything

and the second worst thing was waking up in the morning, painfully hung over, and being greeted by the smell of dozens of half-empty busch cans in my kitchen

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Code Jockey posted:

three or four years ago we did a halloween party that turned into something out of a movie, like there were people in my house I did not invite or even know at all and both floors were just packed with people doing stupid poo poo and there was just so much booze

we started off with jello shots, then into some really, REALLY good jungle juice my wife made, and then as my buzz was growing, my friend decided to make us screwdrivers, and at that point it becomes hazy, but I ended up polishing off an entire bottle of choya plum wine myself, as well as a few beers [and one beer bong], numerous other mixed drinks, a bottle of really good sake with the help of a friend of mine, and a few swigs straight off of various bottles

I was hung over for several days and didn't drink for months, I still have problems with plum wine despite loving it before this

the worst part of all was the beer bong was loving busch, but by then I was too drink to taste anything

and the second worst thing was waking up in the morning, painfully hung over, and being greeted by the smell of dozens of half-empty busch cans in my kitchen

holy loving lmao

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
After I turned 30 all of my hangovers started lasting several days, but I sure didn't stop drinking for several months afterwards laffo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Dial-a-Dog posted:

After I turned 30 all of my hangovers started lasting several days,

Not looking forward to this one bit

• Locked thread