Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Haven't seen that yet. Is it any good?

It's a manga which will probably never get adapted. It's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

My concern is that I don't really see where this show can go. WWII is kinda a ridiculously huge topic for a 12 episode series, and I don't see a single witch, (however lesbian), as swinging a conflict involving millions. My worry is that this war is going to end up feeling very small, or it's going to come down to some silly super weapon, or it's going to end with them talking to the Emperor and he's gonna agree to stop invading because his top advisor is evil or something.

For now the series can coast on the bravado of its premise, but I do think there's a threat of it turning out like, say, Galileo Donna.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

what i was responding to with fangz is that he/she basically appears to say that the show HAS to address the greater conflict or that it has to address the entire front, and that this is impossible in 12 episodes. which is just nonsense. it does not have to do that and i can guarantee you it won't. this is in no way a black mark against the show and its a weird thing to get concerned about when there have been countless examples of war media that have shown the way to go already.

I'm just saying that the opening episode rings alarm bells for me because it does suggest it might go in that direction. Our main characters are a head of state, and their main military asset, an one girl army, and their goal has been set out as 'saving their country'.

There's scope to tell small self contained stories in WWII, sure, but this seems very different from most of the better examples.

And I don't exactly trust this writer.

quote:

here's an example of how the show could go 'izetta keeps the enemy at this front busy, britannia invades germania making germania pull out troops from this front, britannia wins, the end'. here you have a simple outline for the show, that does not require it to show any more of the war besides the occasional message from other fronts, something the show already did by showing glimpses of the invasion while the princess was negotiating

'Protagonist keeps enemy busy for 12 episodes then they win due to stuff happening off screen' is an incredibly tedious storyline.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 4, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Man, Germania doesn't seem to grasp this combined arms thing very well, do they? And they have generals micromanaging formations of 16 tanks from the HQ?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't really think it's a fair accusation, actually. Like I think there's an interesting conflict in that Fine's sense of duty conflicts with her desire to keep Izetta out of the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The images they show of Neue Berlin seem clearly inspired by World Capital Germania.

All that talk of world peace is terribly ominous. I suspect we'll see Berlin destroyed by a magical nuke by the end of this. The fact she can't use magic in the capital city of Elystadt seems also to be clear foreshadowing.

• Locked thread