Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she had two lines, it's kind of a little early to be making snap judgments of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

I really just can't click with this show. I think I'm just worried that it's made exclusively for Japanese otaku, so it will end up being "The Lesbian Adventures of Lesbian Princess and Lesbian Witch."
that's a weird thing to say, dude. like incredibly weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1) why is lesbian a proper noun
2) why does a show being built around two female characters having a close relationship instantly make you think Lesbian
3) why do you think they'd make an uncensored shower scene when the scene doesn't even have her breasts or anything in shot for any extended period of time. the shower scene was a little goofy but it showed off her scars which I think was the point more than anything.
4) why is lesbian a proper noun
5) even if the show is about them being lesbians, why is that inherently a bad thing or somehow make its writing less interesting
6) like 'fine must choose between her country and izetta' could very well be a good show, and also intertwine with the politics angle? i don't know why it has to be one or the other. personal stakes can make politics way more compelling.
7) why is lesbian a proper noun
8) there were like two seconds of very mild fanservice across the entire episode, and both of them had other reasons for existing (as mentioned, the shower scene also showed fine's scars, and izetta on the broom was, like, barely even fanservice because so much movement was happening that if you could focus on the fact that you can see her upper thighs, you are way thirstier than I am)
9) why is lesbian a proper noun
10) why is a show about lesbians inherently aimed at otaku, and not, you know, lesbians. or just a general audience.
11) why is lesbian a proper noun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It varies. There's some shows that make it explicit and handle it well, there's some that just kind of hint at it and handle it well, and there's some that are very bad about it. The middle one is most common (all the shows nox mentioned are of that variety) but the first one isn't unheard of. Akuma no Riddle is a show where one of the main characters has two dads and she loves them and is happy about her two dads. Granted the two dads are only onscreen for ten seconds total but still, it's a big part of her backstory and is handled well. Painting with one giant brush when it comes to this sort of thing is pretty impossible, because anime is made by people, and people have different opinions, views, and experiences wrt sexuality.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

Legends of the Galactic Heroes is the most gay-positive animated show from Japan I've seen but its not an anime, its an OVA.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*bursts into thread panting* Help, help! I have no idea what fiction is and I read a book about world war 2 seventeen years ago!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*adjusting glasses* There are plenty of plausible reasons, *said in a 'i glanced at a wikipedia article five minutes before making this post' voice*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lestaki posted:

You know what? You're right. I'll knock it off from now on.
no worries

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like fine a lot. she gives good speeches

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, they haven't really established her as a person and, with only 10 episodes remaining
lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pavlov posted:

Not even that. Her one character trait is believing that the job of royalty is to be selfless civil servants, a view held by approximately 0 historical monarchs.
lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

A simuldub seems like the worst possible idea

I mean CR's subtitles can get rocky at points already due to the speed. Trying to put together a script and record it within a week leaves no room for editing passes or voice takes. What you get is likely really close to a first draft.

A 'simul'dub is usually a few weeks behind, or at least Funi's are.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know what would be really clever?

if mr. popo had just used the magic carpet to fly goku to the battle with nappa and vegeta

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the twist in this ep's gag comic will be that nobody is endangered ever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah im enjoying the show but it's pretty hokey. some stuff works (i don't really care that they somehow managed to clone a witch despite it being fairly standard ww2-era germany because whatever, dna science is more advanced, i can go for it) but the entire spy subplot was terrible, and it wasn't helped by us spending an episode acting like this was a harem show from the perspective of a nazi spy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im glad bad things happening in 2016 means that no shows are allowed to explore more depressing themes, ever again

not that this show is doing a good job of exploring that theme or making a point, at all, but the idea of most stories having unhappy endings that we change after the fact is actually pretty true, it's like the one good bit of writing this show has stumbled into.

and feel me to call me out on this in a week or two but I don't think Izetta's dying. mostly because her dying might make people too sad to buy the fanservice izetta posters and figurines, and might prevent them from making some sort of weird season 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well, yeah, but this show's writing would be bad if it had a happy ending too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

izetta and fine jsut made out and hosed on a mountain, its explicit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Forever in our hearts, amen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pavlov posted:

I dropped this show at like episode 3-4. I was gunna ask if it's worth finishing, but looking at the thread it just went downhill. See this is why I pick at stuff like the uninspired setting. It's the mark of a lazy writer, and sounds like the whole script turned out lazy.
i wish you'd be like the writers of this show, and be lazy, so that you never post

• Locked thread