Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I enjoyed the first episode. Supernatural girl emerging from containment to save the protagonist was fun in Code Geass and fun here. Fine is a little too perfect as the Platonic ideal of royalty so it would be nice to see more sides of her in future.

I don't think it's too WW2 politics say that the notion of Britain sending land forces to bail out West Austria (?) after the fall of France is preposterous, no matter how beautiful the Austrian princess is. Thank heaven the quasi-Nazis nipped that one in the bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

To be fair, I think the hope was more that the notion of an alliance between Britain and Not-Austria would discourage the Nazis from invading in the first place and avert the war entirely. Buuuuut that obviously didn't happen.

The British ambassador explicitly states a mainland expedition is out of the question near the start of the conversation, so I took that as the context. I'm also not sure how an alliance would be a deterrent given that Britain is already at war with Germany.

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Obviously too early to tell, but I wonder if/how the actual Nazis' racism will be touched on in this show. It could be kind of neat if Izetta/Witches are intended as parallels to the Roma - they tend to be kind of forgotten in discussions of the Holocaust's victims.

Given the references to the Empire and the Emperor, this could possibly be a setting where the German imperial family somehow clung onto power despite losing vast swathes of territory to Poland on the map consistent with the end of WW1. If so we can neatly sidestep Nazi ideology while still having the Germans be autocratic, militant, and expansionist. Of course, the references to said Emperor's occult obsessions do feel like an allusion to Hitler. Either way I think we'll have to wait and see.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Fangz posted:

'Protagonist keeps enemy busy for 12 episodes then they win due to stuff happening off screen' is an incredibly tedious storyline.

If you're telling a story set in WW2 there is no scope for individual agency that materially changes the outcome of the entire conflict unless your protagonist is the leader of a major power or Izetta learns the ancient witch art of nuclear weaponry or something. I suppose you could contrive a scenario where the characters sabotaged a German superweapon or assassinated the Emperor but it would be kind of goofy.

Fundamentally the story of being an anti-Axis minor power during WW2 is offering heroic guerrilla resistance to the extent of your populace's inclination and ability and then 'they win due to stuff happening off screen' as the US and Russia roll Germany up. After that then you get occupied and controlled by Russia depending on your geographic location.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

...The other allies fought Japan too, right? I seem to recall Japan invaded Russia at one point and got spanked, and I would assume Austrailia and other Pacific British colonies would be involved in that front at least a bit.

Japan never fought Russia until the very end of the war when Stalin invaded Manchuria after the Potsdam Agreement. This was actually very important for the Soviet Union because Japan's neutrality agreement with them prior to that point let them pull forces from the border with China and reinforce the crumbling frontlines against Germany. Commonwealth forces had some involvement in the Pacific but outside Britain no European country would have any interest in that theatre until Germany was defeated.

The actual significance of Fine's country being landlocked is that there's no plausible way Britain can project force there, so she and her people are on their own until 1944.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

the only reason there was a neutrality agreement was because the red army kicked the ija out of mongolia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Khalkhin_Gol

and quite frankly, all the better for imperial japan, because it ended the ambitions of the idiots who wanted to conquer thousands of miles of worthless steppe instead of focusing resources towards conquering valuable territory*

*not so good for the people living in the valuable territory

I stand corrected. Hopefully we'll get some passing reference to Russia since it'd be pretty interesting to know what's going on there in this history, though to judge by the absence of exposition on their role in the partition of Poland they aren't going to be very important.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Extra work that doesn't really provide a ton of tangible benefit, at that. Like, unless you change the whole aesthetic of the show people are still going to immediately look at it and go "oh, we're doing WWII with witches." I don't see that much point in keeping up much pretension to the contrary.

The question is why we've then fallen into this weird middle ground where the names have been changed. I'm hopeful we'll see actual alt history elements that justify the conceit beyond the existence of Fine's weird somehow unconquered homeland but time will tell.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Wait, how is Elystadt being unconquered prior to the war any weirder than it was for Switzerland?

Given Fine is the daughter of an Archduke and it's location on the map nestled between Switzerland, Italy, and a swathe of German territory corresponding to Austria (absorbed in our history in 1938), Elystadt (itself three letters tagged onto the German word for city) is likely some kind of weird West Austrian statelet. Since that's ethnically and culturally Germanic you'd normally assume that Emperor Hitler would have invaded long ago as part of his general drive to use the 'self-determination' of German people as a justification for conquest. It even has notable industry to gobble up!

There are plenty of plausible reasons why my assumptions there wouldn't stack up but so far there are far more similarities than differences between our history and the show's history. It's fun to read between the lines until events prove me wrong.

Lestaki fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

*bursts into thread panting* Help, help! I have no idea what fiction is and I read a book about world war 2 seventeen years ago!

You know what? You're right. I'll knock it off from now on.

• Locked thread