Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I really just can't click with this show. I think I'm just worried that it's made exclusively for Japanese otaku, so it will end up being "The Lesbian Adventures of Lesbian Princess and Lesbian Witch." Buy the Blu-Ray for uncensored shower scenes!! I hope it goes the political drama route, but it will likely just end up becoming Finè must choose between Izetta and her country. Also look boobs and stuff. If it's done well, okay. Otherwise, it could just be another Gate: And So the JSDF Fought There. Tons of style, no tension or actual danger. I really shouldn't judge based on the first episode, but I'm not really looking forward to more at this point. I hope I'm wrong about it.

But hey, someone brought up Gankutsuou. The Princess Finè is more Eugénie Danglars from The Count of Monte Cristo than the Eugénie de Danglars in Gankutsuou. This gives me hope that Finè will remain a consistently strong character if she is based even a little bit off of Eugénie from the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

z0glin Warchief posted:

I'm usually an overly skeptical rear end in a top hat about this sort of thing, but even I don't see this going in that direction. It might end up being a bad show, but I think from the first episode it's safe to say it will at least try to take its themes seriously. I'd say it's more likely to be another Aldnoah than another Gate, if anything.

Yeah, I'm definitely willing to give this one a go. I'm still not sure what really rubbed me so wrong in the first episode, but I have 11 episodes to go. It seemed to be trying to take itself seriously, like you said. If the fan service bits are very sparse, I could see it being more Birdy the Mighty: Decode than anything else. Also watch Birdy the Mighty: Decode.

Sakurazuka posted:

Well there were no mysterious light beams in the shower scene so that's all we're getting on that front....

That's kind of what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. That's the normal tell tale sign for a "Hey, buy this on blu-ray/dvd for fully uncencored this-and-that!!!"

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Yeah, my tired posting is extrodinarily bad, so hate away at whatever that was that I posted. I really should have waited until I got home from work today and re-watched the episode rather than after a double shift.

Have Japanese studios gotten better at handling gay relationships? I don't really watch much anime any more. I finished One Punch Man not too long ago, am part way into Kiznaiver, and am up to date on Thunderbolt fantasy. That's more than I've watched in a loooing time.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 4, 2016

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Pewdiepie posted:

I think this show doesn't look very good but this thread is a thrilling read. I'm eager to see how opinions shift in the coming weeks.

If I could go back in time and alter my post, it would read more like this.

I thought it was incredibly boring and overly predictable but had great animation and music, especially the final scene. It's only the first episode establishing the characters and setting, so hopefully more actual stuff happens. Pretty sure the Prince Henry thing is going to come back around at least half way through the show.

I'll need to see Legends of the Galactic Heroes at some point. I have a huge backlog already, but I watch so little as it is.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I definitely feel that your posts earlier were in fact hugely inappropriate

Absolutely, I agree.

• Locked thread