Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Izetta the Last Witch is a new anime set during the outbreak of a fictitious World War II. The country of Germania, having invaded and annexed many of its other neighbors, sets its sights on the Principality of Elystadt in the Alps.

Elystadt is a small country with a weak military. The only foreseeable outcome is total conquest.

Izetta, the last of her clan of witches (now I've said that in three different languages), promises to protect the girl from her childhood: the queen of Elystadt, Fine. As a special weapon for Elystadt, she fights to turn the tides of war.

Our cast. They're designed by Bunbun, also known as abec.

Remember: the characters are in a wartime setting of political intrigue, but the show is about them, not history. Please don't be weird about WWII politics, and happy posting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Have you tried Tinder?

The first ep's music was pretty. I don't really know this composer so now I'm intrigued. Also, if Izetta can do that to a plane, I wonder if she actually needs the anti-tank rifle.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I think she'll fire it because it's too cool to go unused. I mean look at the thing

https://a.pomf.cat/oqtbyo.webm

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Repo Man posted:

I really just can't click with this show. I think I'm just worried that it's made exclusively for Japanese otaku, so it will end up being "The Lesbian Adventures of Lesbian Princess and Lesbian Witch."

I don't see how the makings of anything after this part of your post could be gleaned from the first episode. If you haven't seen the promotional art or how the show has been advertised, the stage seems to be centered around Izetta and Fine's relationship. Knowing the writer, the stage will still be very large, probably not edging you out if yuri isn't your flavor.

and the pessimism in that statement sounds weird and idk if you're concerned that an anime running parallel to a market trend is inherently a bad thing or if you're making other judgments in saying it. If a show is greenlit on the basis of "well, x is selling well right now, so go for it," that's not a bad thing. There will inevitably be tons of people involved in the creation process who love x and they'll try their hardest because they're so excited to make what they love. Anime is made for fans of anime, by fans of anime. Izetta is an anime. Solve for x.

Maybe crying "otaku pandering" applies to extreme cases, but it doesn't belong in a thread for a show that's only aired one innocuous episode.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

nielsm posted:

The setting of an inland European country is chosen well, so they don't have to take the Pacific theatre into account.

I don't think that the setting of a coastal European country—bordering the Atlantic Ocean—would have any more to do with the Pacific theatre.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I wonder what it means that the German officer from last episode had a pistol encrusted with "Who Dares Wins," since they flashed it again this ep.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think that might just be for visual confirmation that they're looking at the wreckage of Officer Dick's plane.

Why would he be touting a pistol with an SAS motto on it, is the point.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I'm on chapter 2 of Hokuto no Ken. When does Kenshiro become more than stoneface punchman.
Haha, Berserk chapter 2? Angry swordsman. Wow big sword, much dark souls.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

GorfZaplen posted:

12 episodes is basically the same as hundreds of chapters of manga, you're right.

Characters don't need to show nuance and deep-seated inner turmoil right out of the batting cage. The length of the game doesn't have a bearing on this.

It's cool to want to know more about Fine but it's dumb to express it as criticism like "man, this character is so flat." A character doesn't need to be the dynamic in a story. Again, look at Kenshiro. He remains largely the same man while change in the story comes from his companions and brothers. He can just be the cool-as-heck punching man because everything interesting revolves around him.

its just bullshit to say that 3 episodes in, Fine can't just be a strong-willed princess. I think it's even sexist.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't think it's sexist to want to see more characterization for one of the main characters.

I'll concede that she might not be a dynamic character and I'm fine with that. I'll eat my words and admit I jumped the gun.

YeahI think the way you clarified earlier isnt a problem.. It just gets weird when Fine gets attributed instead of leaving it at "yeah it bores me"

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

time to conquer the world

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
we must save pie eating. protect it

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
if i were a torpedo i'd want to make izetta happy too. look how sad she is for half the ep

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
episode 11.5

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I caught up. It felt compelling again when the younger spy showed up, which made me feel like if there could have been better instances of side characters directing plot threads instead of just being bits and pieces of them amidst comedic filler, the middle parts of the show wouldn't have felt as uninteresting. Well, I've liked it since ep 8. Last week's ep: very nice. Very romantic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it feels like the single-cour format was a major shortcoming for this show. I don't have a problem with the comic relief they used while setting up the world and characters, but by the time the world building was done the show was already knocking on the door of its climax. Consequently, while Izetta and Fine are given ample exposition that fuels their big moments, we get dynamics like with Bianca and Rickert's episode where they're given absolutely no time to weave their own subplot. Berkmann, the crafty Germanian antagonist, is at odds with his own country but we're never given the insight into how and why that would really flesh him out as a character. young Jonas becoming Sieg's undoing in the last episode is a highlight moment, but we don't see enough of it haunting Sieg and setting up a truly emotional impact.

Fine and Izetta are beautiful, but as static leads they need a vibrant cast beside them. their sub-characters are diamonds in the rough—without the proper care they're unable to do a good job of invigorating their show.

https://twitter.com/BUNBUN922/status/810106514388254720

i liked it regardless.

• Locked thread