Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I like these idiots just as much as the original staff. Just sayin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Miyakoshi and Higashida have probably my favourite interactions in the entire series. The pseudo-romance scene killed me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kibibit posted:

Miyakoshi and Higashida have probably my favourite interactions in the entire series. The pseudo-romance scene killed me.

Higashida and Miyakoshi will probably be married with two kids and still have some kind of insane internal reasoning justifying how and why it happened.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Higashida and Miyakoshi will probably be married with two kids and still have some kind of insane internal reasoning justifying how and why it happened.

St. Valentine will just keep escalating the situation every time Higashida undergoes death by chocolate.

"Oh, so falling in love didn't make the chocolate any better? Better marry her. That'll definitely sort it."
"What do you mean that didn't work!? Right, one last try to be sure. If you have a kid, I'm almost certain it'll work."

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^ I guess even St Valentine gave up on that idea after actually meeting Miyakoshi. I do like how eating her chocolate doesn't send you into some wild fever dream, but actually sends you into some weird astral plane dimension.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This episode raises some important questions. For example if two people eat chocolate at the same time but in different locations could they use it to communicate at a distance without the inconvenience and discomfort of phones? :v:

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Poil posted:

This episode raises some important questions. For example if two people eat chocolate at the same time but in different locations could they use it to communicate at a distance without the inconvenience and discomfort of phones? :v:

Moreover, could Miyakoshi's chocolate be used to transfer information at FTL speeds and thereby violate causality? And, in any case, would anyone be willing to test it?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Besides Ghost girl and maybe the baby, I'm not really liking this crew as much, especially rich girl/poor guy

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It took a while to get adjusted to the new crew but I loving love Ghost Girl. I love her more than I loved anyone in Working or Servant x Service.

Rich Girl is easily my least favorite, which makes Saiki one of my favorite dudes by proxy because I loving love the gag of him getting words wrong and also because he annoys her so much. Also that moment where he goes "What." was the hardest I ever laughed in the show.

I'm not very invested in the romance for this cast, like I was with Working, but that probably has to do with how Working worked (heh) with the relationships and chemistry and characters over the course of 3 seasons, whereas this has a year go by in like 6 episodes. Also the main (restaurant staff) cast seems larger, which doesn't help with getting the viewer acquainted with them all.

The only romance I am invested in is Kisaki and the Manager because hell yeah. Hell yeah.

Saint Valentine is adorable.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I too am quickly warming up to the new crew. Ghost girl and Higashida are top of the list and the others aren't too far behind. Not a huge fan of cool-mom yet but i'll give her time to grow on me.

Hardest i've laughed so far was the reveal that rich-girl's bodyguards are actually protecting poor dude from her.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Nice to see a member of the old series making a well deserved return this week.

Daisy!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some couples will be formed before this is all over, even if they have to be (literally) dragged kicking and screaming into it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

This is becoming more likely with every episode

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Some couples will be formed before this is all over, even if they have to be (literally) dragged kicking and screaming into it.

Pretty sure this will be the case for every man in this series. Adachi may be the only exemption (and given his reactions to ghost girl's smile there will probably still be some screaming).

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

They fixed their typo in to OP, :rip: Storng!!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tamba posted:

This is becoming more likely with every episode

At this point it's actually happening.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I really like that Saiki has a relatively "real" accent when speaking Japanese, instead of the stereotypical foreigner one.

The translation is wrong in a bunch of places though, which is a shame. I picked out a few as examples, but this happens generally a few times each episode at least.

The word translated as "crazy" here is "okashi". The generic word for sweets/candy/etc. is also "okashi".

What he actually says in this line is basically "because it's 'okashi', get it?" He's making a pun.*

This isn't saying SHE's mad, it's saying HE's mad; so mad that he made a dumb joke. If you watch the rest of the scene, you see she isn't even mad. It feels like the translator didn't fully understand what was going on and just filled in the blanks as best they could.

She's calling her mother names, not him.

She's saying "you (Miyakoshi)" will end up like Adachi, not that "he" will.

She's saying she'll toss/throw HIM, not the chocolate (remember she's strong and prone to violence, so she could do it too).

*This okashi pun actually gets used a bunch of times throughout the show.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

Translation stuff

That's a bit of a shame, and kind of odd that there's so many mistakes specifically regarding who's being referred to in a scene. Is that something that's easy to mess up in translation with Japanese in particular? I think I've heard before that it can be particularly ambiguous when it comes to things like that sometimes.

Also, I've just remembered that this is being shown on Daisuki as well. Unlikely, but I wonder if they've got a different translation?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

smenj posted:

That's a bit of a shame, and kind of odd that there's so many mistakes specifically regarding who's being referred to in a scene. Is that something that's easy to mess up in translation with Japanese in particular? I think I've heard before that it can be particularly ambiguous when it comes to things like that sometimes.

Also, I've just remembered that this is being shown on Daisuki as well. Unlikely, but I wonder if they've got a different translation?

Daisuki has identical subs. And yeah in Japanese that's implied where possible, if you were just given the single sentence to translate you wouldn't be able to tell.

In fact Daisuki has a pre-show Aniplex logo who iirc have previously been fingered for providing iffy subs to the stream companies.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

smenj posted:

Is that something that's easy to mess up in translation with Japanese in particular?

Yeah, it is. It's a common thing in Japanese to drop the subject and just have it be implied. That doesn't mean it's ambiguous to a native speaker (usually), as various context clues and linguistic norms(? don't know what you'd actually call this) usually make it clear, but it's a very common thing to mistake for people with a "book knowledge" grasp of the language. And if you're translating from just a script, without the audio and visual cues of the show itself to go on, all the more. Or worse, if they

Polsy posted:

were just given the single sentence to translate

then yeah, it'd be basically impossible.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am glad we have z0glin and Polsy to set the record straight.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

z0glin Warchief posted:

The translation is wrong in a bunch of places though, which is a shame. I picked out a few as examples, but this happens generally a few times each episode at least.

Aside from straight-up incorrect translations, the phrasing in the subtitles often feels weird and unnatural. In every episode so far, there have been a couple of lines that were so hard to parse that it distracted me, which doesn't happen with other shows.

Translation issues aside, I'm liking this less and less every episode, mainly because of the directing. The pacing of the jokes is often completely off, with awkwardly long pauses between setup and punchline. It's strange, because the original Working did not have this problem (or at least not as noticeable), and they're both by the same director.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

z0glin Warchief posted:

as various context clues and linguistic norms(? don't know what you'd actually call this)

Conventions, maybe?

Thanks for posting this, btw. It clears up some things that didn't make sense.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

Araki posted:

Aside from straight-up incorrect translations, the phrasing in the subtitles often feels weird and unnatural. In every episode so far, there have been a couple of lines that were so hard to parse that it distracted me, which doesn't happen with other shows.

Translation issues aside, I'm liking this less and less every episode, mainly because of the directing. The pacing of the jokes is often completely off, with awkwardly long pauses between setup and punchline. It's strange, because the original Working did not have this problem (or at least not as noticeable), and they're both by the same director.

It's less strange in the chronology of the source material, though. WWW.Working predates Working!, which predates Servant X Service, and unsurprisingly the polish on the writing follows accordingly. Even if you didn't like the characters or setting of SxS, it's hard to deny that it wasted no time at all getting into it's groove, where Working took a few episodes/volumes, and WWW is all over the place and never really feels like it gets settled, especially in the manga.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I liked this weeks episode. Muranashi's mom is always great.

Pacing and limited/too fast character development is my main gripe with the show overall but it seems inevitable given the source material and need to apparently wrap things up in one season.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

You did it Adachi!

Now you won't be gruesomely murdered by ghosts!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm not familiar with proper restaurant etiquette in Japan but I'm fairly certain Yanagiba did the right thing by bringing her own blanket. :)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

???

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy gently caress this was the best episode in a while.

Muranushi's mom is amazing, which helped this episode become great.

Glad Adachi and Muranushi got together.

Adachi looks drat good in casual clothes. Or maybe I just think those earrings look cool as hell on him.

Yanagiba and Saiki are my two favorite characters, which meant this episode was all the better for having the two interact.

Laugh out loud at the image spot of Higashida and Muranushi married.

Just great overall.

She probably believes in taking baths over showers or something, I guess.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poil posted:

I'm not familiar with proper restaurant etiquette in Japan but I'm fairly certain Yanagiba did the right thing by bringing her own blanket. :)

I dunno if her sitting/laying on a table would be a health violation though

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

This confused me too

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

"and when you showered, you spilled water outside." Just another very zoned-out thing to do. :eng99:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Caphi posted:

"and when you showered, you spilled water outside." Just another very zoned-out thing to do. :eng99:

Actually she's saying that when she took a shower after work she accidentally took a cold one (or at least, used cold water initially). "Mizu" means water, but in the context of bathing "yu" or "oyu" is used for hot water and "mizu" is used for unheated water.

The line in JP is: ふらふらバイト先から帰ってきて、「シャワー浴びたらうっかり水だったー」なんて、何かに憑かれてるとしか思えないわ

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Even if it's played as a joke, I really dislike Shindou's dad and don't think it's really that funny.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

Even if it's played as a joke, I really dislike Shindou's dad and don't think it's really that funny.

I don't think worst dad is supposed to be particularly likeable, tbh. This episode did a pretty good job of making the weirdest couple a little more likeable without being any less twisted.

Overall, another fun episode. Even if they're not as tightly written as Workings cast I actually do like these idiots and it's fun seeing them start to hook up. Really doesn't have nearly the impact happening 10 episodes in though vs Working developing it's relationships over...5 years, seriously?

madmac fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 4, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This franchise seems to like having jerkass parents in general.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

This franchise medium seems to like having jerkass parents in general.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

This franchise medium seems to like having jerkass parents in general.

Counterpoint: Deku's mom in My Hero Academia, and the dad in Sweetness and Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

This episode wasn't very good but it did succeed in making me annoyed that they have not kissed yet (and never will)

• Locked thread