Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I've been searching, without success, for a good bit of poetry to read at my sister's wedding. She's requested I do a reading "with (your) special touch to it", by which she means something somewhat subversive and inappropriate. Yeah, I'm an anti-social failure. Anyway, I think it'd be at least mildly humorous to read your standard bit of love poetry glurge that everyone only half pays attention to, and then reveal at the end it was written by someone terrible. Hitler would be ideal, but he was pretty asexual, and not into poetry. Stalin was a decent poet in his early years, but I can only find 3 of his poems translated. Osama Bin Laden wrote a bunch of poems, but again, I can't find any English translations. Librarians have gone "Oh, that's funny", but haven't been able to come up with anything other than a book that isn't in our system. Can the power of goons help me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
She asked me to do something sophomoric though... and she's literally the person who married me to my husband. I want to do exactly what she wants me to do. Do you have any better ideas? I'm willing to listen.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

ulvir posted:

ayatollah khomeini wrote a whole bunch of ghazal poetry

Ooo, now this is what I'm looking for. I can probably make this work. Thank you!

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I guess I just don't understand the hate. I'm supposed to do something inappropriate. This is inappropriate, without hurting anyone, or even swearing. My sister asked for it, so it's not like I'm doing it out of spite. I'm open to other ideas. And those poems are pretty standard love poem type things. If you actually read them, they're quite mundane. Now reading The Platonic Blow, that would be out of line.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Like I said, I'm open to suggestions...

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Marlow and Byron are known as poets, though. That kind of ruins the joke. Anyway, I think everyone is overestimating the seriousness of this occasion. Due to work-visa issues, they already legally married. This is just the original wedding date, more of a cause for both families to get together, because his parents couldn't attend the first one. Which I think they're pretty pissed about, but that's a whole other story.

Also, thanks guys, now google thinks I like poems, and making GBS threads ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I went with the Ayatollah's stuff and it went over fine. Only about half the guests got the joke, but my sister was pleased with it. And that's what counts.

• Locked thread