Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

fallout

underrail

shadowrun

these are good

also Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity could both be what you're looking for, OP
there's also wasteland 2 which i dont like but some of my friends love. i've also heard great things about age of decadence but i've never played it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

not enough love for skies of arcadia itt

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
has the op installed Witcher 3 yet? it is the best rpg i have ever played

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

Planescape: Torment.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Since you liked Super Mario RPG I'm gonna recommend Super Mario RPG.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I got a rune of torment tattoo because Planescape: Torment rules, and your OP pretty much described it so

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Pokemon

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

This one can get your started on the genre, OP.

You'll want to ease into it so it doesn't overwhelm you.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Ever hear of "World of Warcraft"

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Mega64 posted:

Since you liked Super Mario RPG I'm gonna recommend Super Mario RPG.

Paper Mario: The Thousand year door is also good.

Bert Roberge posted:

This one can get your started on the genre, OP.

You'll want to ease into it so it doesn't overwhelm you.

As a child I got stuck in this game so I wrote a letter to Square, and they actually wrote back.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
just loving emulate chrono trigger u piece of poo poo, i assumed you had already played it when I read the OP but I guess you are just a big dumb retard

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

Paper Mario: The Thousand year door is also good amazing.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

OP I highly recommend the mid-90s JRPG peak collection: Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6, Seiken Densetsu 3

SMRPG would be on that list but you've already played it

Also: Mother 3

Applewhite posted:

Unhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *nudges mouse feebly before giving up*

Just do it you lazy prick

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
ill come over to ur house and do it for you

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I would suggest Awful Fantasy, but it seems to have vanished off the face of the earth.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's Final Fantasy Tactics, OP. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is what you're looking for.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Nanomashoes posted:

It's Final Fantasy Tactics, OP. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is what you're looking for.

hey i wanted to start playing fft again, whats the best way to do it with my computer now anyway? I would've just emulated the original, but I heard WotL is much better translation wise

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Nanomashoes posted:

In this final scene of Final Fantasy Tactics, we see King Delita bringing Ovelia flowers to their favorite spot near Zeltennia's old church ruins. Ovelia strikes delita with a dagger that was given to her by Agrias because of her anger at the supposed "death" of Ramza and her friend Alma, and that Delita had been using her and his own friends to achieve his goals. Delita takes the dagger and uses it to kill Ovelia in his anger at being betrayed.

Delita, wounded and left miserable with nothing because of his schemes throughout the game, finally realizes that Ramza, staying true to his principles and convictions, is the true hero of the story. Delita, in the end, is left to himself to wallow in regret for the loss of his family and friends in the place of his new born position of power which he had sought for so desperately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQI42hYFKAA

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

tbh I think TTYD is better than Super Mario RPG

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

The Laughing Man posted:

In this final scene of Final Fantasy Tactics, we see King Delita bringing Ovelia flowers to their favorite spot near Zeltennia's old church ruins. Ovelia strikes delita with a dagger that was given to her by Agrias because of her anger at the supposed "death" of Ramza and her friend Alma, and that Delita had been using her and his own friends to achieve his goals. Delita takes the dagger and uses it to kill Ovelia in his anger at being betrayed.

Delita, wounded and left miserable with nothing because of his schemes throughout the game, finally realizes that Ramza, staying true to his principles and convictions, is the true hero of the story. Delita, in the end, is left to himself to wallow in regret for the loss of his family and friends in the place of his new born position of power which he had sought for so desperately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQI42hYFKAA

yeah but delita's the king of Ivalice and history forgot Ramza existed/branded him a heretic whenever people did remember

The game doesn't go into it, but Alazlam probably gets burned at the stake for heresy too

Edit: Like, it turned out the game's Judas analog was absolutely right to sell out Saint Ajora because he was a spy and a demon, but Ajora's cult lives on and Germonique is a traitor forever and ever

Dial-a-Dog fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 2, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

tbh I think TTYD is better than Super Mario RPG
Oh my God, I'm not alone.

:hfive:

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
Well the genre peaked with Legend of Zelda: a Link to the past so I'd go with that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dial-a-Dog posted:

hey i wanted to start playing fft again, whats the best way to do it with my computer now anyway? I would've just emulated the original, but I heard WotL is much better translation wise

https://jot5.wikia.com/wiki/Journey_of_the_Five_(a_Final_Fantasy_Tactics_Hack)_Wiki

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

As a child I got stuck in this game so I wrote a letter to Square, and they actually wrote back.

Seriously? Where did you get stuck? It holds your hand for most of the game.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Enfield posted:

spanky the weasels retarded human being adventure

The sequel was better

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Dial-a-Dog posted:

yeah but delita's the king of Ivalice and history forgot Ramza existed/branded him a heretic whenever people did remember

The game doesn't go into it, but Alazlam probably gets burned at the stake for heresy too

Edit: Like, it turned out the game's Judas analog was absolutely right to sell out Saint Ajora because he was a spy and a demon, but Ajora's cult lives on and Germonique is a traitor forever and ever

maybe he had one of those regeneration chaos blades and lived? maybe the intro movie with the chocobo is him living another life? i had a theory about this once

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Well the genre peaked with Legend of Zelda: a Link to the past so I'd go with that

Does that count as an RPG?

What the gently caress is an RPG?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

The Quest for Glory series is my serious answer.

I had so much fun playing those. They're like a cross between an adventure game and an RPG and you can transfer your character between games.

May 8, 2006

Bert Roberge posted:

Seriously? Where did you get stuck? It holds your hand for most of the game.

There is a part where you have to push ice blocks around, and I didn't understand that they were tall enough to be jumped on. Or something like that. I won't claim to have been a clever child.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Bert Roberge posted:

I had so much fun playing those. They're like a cross between an adventure game and an RPG and you can transfer your character between games.

These were really good. One of the first times I cheated at video games was playing the first one and grabbing a shitload of stones on the ground then shoving a dime into my keyboard to repeatedly throw them at a tree or something. It maxed out your throwing skill and I want to say it increased strength too but it was forever ago so I don't really remember. Probably the next time I cheated at video games was in QFG2 when I found out you could sell the dervish's beard to Keapon Laffin forever
Also I haven't played it, but Heroine's quest looks like the same kind of game, is free on steam, and reviews really well.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

skies of arcadia is a great game with fun characters, a unique setting, and the type of simple but clever battle system that will set you up for some challenging fights that require actual strategy beyond the typical attack/heal cycle you find in most jrpgs. there's also base building and character collecting like suikoden but i don't know how it compares because i've never played suikoden. it also has tons of little hidden secrets and optional boss fights. it's a great and underappreciated game op and you should check it out. thanks for reading

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

Izzhov posted:

Does that count as an RPG?

What the gently caress is an RPG?

Sure it does! You play the role of Link, in your quest to save Hyrule you upgrade your health, magic and weapons, fight bosses and explore dungeons. Its top down, the 16bit art holds up very well and the npc's and characters are very memorable. Hell the story's not to shabby either!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Dial-a-Dog posted:

These were really good. One of the first times I cheated at video games was playing the first one and grabbing a shitload of stones on the ground then shoving a dime into my keyboard to repeatedly throw them at a tree or something. It maxed out your throwing skill and I want to say it increased strength too but it was forever ago so I don't really remember. Probably the next time I cheated at video games was in QFG2 when I found out you could sell the dervish's beard to Keapon Laffin forever
Also I haven't played it, but Heroine's quest looks like the same kind of game, is free on steam, and reviews really well.

Throw rock was an awesome skill you could practice on that bird nest to get that ring. You could also practice the thief skill 'pick lock' by 'picking your nose.' Small chance you'd kill yourself doing that. I miss games with hilarious deaths. Thief was my favorite class by far and I don't think any game has really captured larceny as well as that one did.

I'll have to check out Heroine's Quest.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Emulate WotL on ppsspp.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bert Roberge posted:

This looks really good.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Applewhite posted:

This looks really good.

There are slightly less eye-killing remakes of the first two but they lose some of the charm.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Good RPG opinions ITT. That analysis of the end of FFT reminds me of why I loved the game so much. As for the OP please play Chrono Trigger good grief. Then do Planescape: Torment. Then FFT and be ready to spend a looooooong time on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

fallout

underrail

shadowrun

Please close the thread thank you

• Locked thread