Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Looks like I have to learn to install an emulator and find a copy of Chrono Trigger I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Buy Final Fantasy 9 on Steam immediately.

Bad idea. Square rereleases on steam are garbo. I got FF7 and I literally can't do poo poo unless I have a controller and do some stupid EULA poo poo

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Looks like I have to learn to install an emulator and find a copy of Chrono Trigger I guess.

This is a good idea

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Applewhite posted:

I'm calling the police

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Applewhite posted:

If you've never played Chrono Trigger before it's good, but Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions has a deeper combat system and more engaging plot.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Bad idea. Square rereleases on steam are garbo. I got FF7 and I literally can't do poo poo unless I have a controller and do some stupid EULA poo poo

I have a controller.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Chrono Trigger is the perfect JRPG. That's literally what it's called, "Perfect Game 1995," Chrono Trigger is just the unofficial title.

really, the fact you haven't played it already basically makes you a criminal

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Nanomashoes posted:

Emulate WotL on ppsspp.
All over it, gonna be weird adjusting to the new translation. I was reading some wiki articles about it earlier when I got interested again, and had no idea Knights of the Northern Sky was the real translation for Hokuten Knights

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
There's a popular one called "The Legends of Heroes: Sky of Steel" or something like that.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The XP system is garbage. It sucks. All the ways you improve and equip your character outside of leveling up are always more enjoyable. Leveling up sucks. Grinding sucks. Spending hours making a number go higher is stupid.

Link to the Past didn't need grinding. Every game today uses it, though, rpg or not.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Dial-a-Dog posted:

All over it, gonna be weird adjusting to the new translation. I was reading some wiki articles about it earlier when I got interested again, and had no idea Knights of the Northern Sky was the real translation for Hokuten Knights

The new translation is really good. People complain about it missing fan favorite lines but I don't give a poo poo because now the game is intelligible and actually well written.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Give us an update on how much you gently caress up that trial, Applewhite.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Nanomashoes posted:

The new translation is really good. People complain about it missing fan favorite lines but I don't give a poo poo because now the game is intelligible and actually well written.

lol, yeah I just started it and "Tis your birth and fate that wrong you, not I" is probably a better translation than "Blame yourself or god"

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
If you're going to install an snes emulator for Chrono Trigger, make sure you get Tales of Phantasia, my second favorite time traveling RPG.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I wish someone would make an RPG with the combat system from the new xcom .

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

gary oldmans diary posted:

The XP system is garbage. It sucks. All the ways you improve and equip your character outside of leveling up are always more enjoyable. Leveling up sucks. Grinding sucks. Spending hours making a number go higher is stupid.

Link to the Past didn't need grinding. Every game today uses it, though, rpg or not.

Exactly, its a game that rewards skill rather than time invested, a proto-dark souls if you will.

Now op, I know you may be tempted to go the Zelda 2 route if you get in more of a side-scrolling rpg mood, but thats a classic mistake; what you actually want is my second favorite rpg: Super Metroid.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Final Fantasy X-2 is also good.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Dennis System posted:

Final Fantasy X-2 is also good.

Wrong.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I legitimately thought FFX was the pinnacle of the series, lovely forced laughing scene aside. The new battle system ruled, and the plot was convoluted but eventually made sense to the point where I was like "Oh, Tidus disappeared into dust, that makes sense" at the end. From what I understand FFX-2 ruined all of that

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Moon Atari posted:

I wish someone would make an RPG with the combat system from the new xcom .

yes

this is what nu-fallout should have been :argh:

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Ceyton posted:

Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6, Seiken Densetsu 3

these are all good correct answers ff9 is also a great choice and in some ways the best of the series. tales of symphonia is on steam too though im still literally struggling to believe an rpg fan hasnt played chrono trigger

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Final Fantasy Tactics also has a great soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPGBxgk6rJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjwA8VeMJqA
It's pretty much the perfect game, because you can recruit Cloud.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Quest 64 you get to play as a dude named Brian.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah but if corn in the bible is to be believed, you can play as a guy named Hank in Underrail

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

glowstick party tonight posted:

Quest 64 you get to play as a dude named Brian.
You know it's quality because they didn't waste any of their creative juices naming the game or the main character. A lot of devs fall into that trap on day 1, but not them. Get prepared to enter a world of fantasy with Quest 64.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
here Applewhite, play Stardew Valley. it just got a new patch and is the best SNES style RPG out right now. i just wasted an entire day with this fantastic game and i never do that any more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7uXNQskhs

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Planescape: Torment.

seconded since it's the most JRPG-ish of all the old school western RPGs, and that seems to be what OP's looking for.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
um

JRPGs and especially Super Mario RPG, place a fairly heavy emphasis on smooth and fun combat

Infinity Engine games and especially Planescape:Torment, does not.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Rutibex posted:

here Applewhite, play Stardew Valley. it just got a new patch and is the best SNES style RPG out right now. i just wasted an entire day with this fantastic game and i never do that any more

everyone should buy and play this game right now

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

AugmentedVision posted:

um

JRPGs and especially Super Mario RPG, place a fairly heavy emphasis on smooth and fun combat

Infinity Engine games and especially Planescape:Torment, does not.

Actually, PS:T had the best combat engine of all the IE games. Just use chromatic orb instead of magic arrow, also it's impossible to gimp any of the characters while levelling up because they all basically turn into plane shaping deities by the end. Heck, you don't even need to fight to win the last battle so who cares

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

everyone should buy and play this game right now

Hell yeah. Not sure if it counts as an rpg or not, but whatever it is its drat addictive.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Actually, PS:T had the best combat engine of all the IE games. Just use chromatic orb instead of magic arrow, also it's impossible to gimp any of the characters while levelling up because they all basically turn into plane shaping deities by the end. Heck, you don't even need to fight to win the last battle so who cares

The combat is sloppy but it's easy and the spell animations are cool.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Rutibex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7uXNQskhs

Stardew Valley is good if you like games like World of Warcraft that eat up days, weeks, months of your life and when you finally stop playing them you hate yourself

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Moon Atari posted:

Hell yeah. Not sure if it counts as an rpg or not, but whatever it is its drat addictive.

an rpg with farming sim elements or vv definitely

its not like theres a technical definition for role playing game is there?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

GastonEatTheEggs posted:

The combat is sloppy but it's easy and the animations are cool.

Well yeah, but the combat was sloppy in the BG games, but also difficult and devoid of cool animations. Plus you could easily turn your Bhaalspawn god character into a barely functional loser. AFAIK it's impossible to gimp the nameless one

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

The ipad port is shockingly good, they integrated the touch controls really well and put some cheats right in there in case you just want to enjoy the game without grinding for a hundred hours. Sometimes I like to get uncomfortably stoned and then just lay in bed and look at all the cool monsters and buildings and stuff. Highly recommended if you have a tablet that will run it, it aged way better than 7 did and feels like a cool illustrated children's book that you can play with in that format.

OP quit being a baby and get Planescape. It's the best rpg anyone ever bothered to make. I don't even know where to begin describing the world it takes place in, it's like some actually smart dungeon master did a bunch of brain drugs and made a magical realism campaign, but that doesn't do it justice. The plot revolves around a question (what can change the nature of a man?), and whatever answer you believe is going to be as valid as any other. Playing it a second time years later, you'll find you might have changed your answer, which isn't an experience I've had with any other game.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I just put the combat on easy and enjoy the cyoa and tune out while auto combat wins everything

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Applewhite my man have you tried this little gem called Dungeons & Dragons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Moon Atari posted:

its an action RPG, like Zelda. you spend a good 50% of you time in random mines killing monsters

• Locked thread