Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Actually, PS:T had the best combat engine of all the IE games. Just use chromatic orb instead of magic arrow, also it's impossible to gimp any of the characters while levelling up because they all basically turn into plane shaping deities by the end. Heck, you don't even need to fight to win the last battle so who cares

I like the part where there's the ridiculous lawful good thing that's just an idea in a suit of armor, and if you can get him to admit there are gray areas in life he just stops existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

AugmentedVision posted:

I just put the combat on easy and enjoy the cyoa and tune out while auto combat wins everything

Congrats you played it the right way. I think the hardest battles in that game were the weirdly difficult but entirely optional sewer battles near the end

Real Mean Queen posted:

I like the part where there's the ridiculous lawful good thing that's just an idea in a suit of armor, and if you can get him to admit there are gray areas in life he just stops existing.

Vhailor, and he rules, way better than Ignus who I think you can remind that you're the reason he's the (painful) embodiment of fire and he attacks you then you annihilate him

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Star Ocean 2: The Second Story

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Congrats you played it the right way. I think the hardest battles in that game were the weirdly difficult but entirely optional sewer battles near the end

Vhailor, and he rules, way better than Ignus who I think you can remind that you're the reason he's the (painful) embodiment of fire and he attacks you then you annihilate him

Lol I just remembered you call him supplicant till he remembers you then he loses his poo poo and attacks your party of demi gods

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
You can do something similar to Dak'kon but instead of losing his poo poo and trying to kill you he's just "Alright I'm your slave for eternity please don't expose the heresy behind my entire race"

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I also like where you meet some sad bum who's all worked up about a dead tree (the only one on this plane of existence). If you can successfully talk enough people into giving a poo poo about the tree, it can grow. I don't think you even get any loot for that, just a grip of experience and something to think about.

I'd be loving dick deep into dnd every week between today and the grave if I met someone that could consistently present something that cool. Even inconsistently, I'm on board. Every time I've tried to play, it's always "oh some goblins or something are robbing a bank, do you stop them or kill them and take the gold? The choice is yours!" There are seldom any real ideas, and I can't picture meeting every week just to make some numbers go up on a piece of paper.

When vampire: bloodlines dropped I was extremely about it and loved the whole world it presented and how the plot revolves around basically a dumb macguffin that felt important but was ultimately meaningless, that's my poo poo. A few dudes I knew had been playing vampire so I was stoked to get a piece of that. Then I showed up and it's PURPLE MONKEY CHEESE malkavians and no theme or even plot, it's just two hours of character sheets and then "some hoodlums are robbing a bank! How do you use your carefully selected abilities to stop them and/or take all the money?" It was nothing, and I bailed out fast.

That's way too many words to say that Planescape and vampire bloodlines are the pen and paper games you wish you were playing, packaged in a convenient way that you can enjoy half cut in your underpants.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Divinity: Original Sin

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
Divinity original sin is a drat good game. One of the few successes of Kickstarter. It's got a good combat system, the characters are good, the story is dumb but fun. It's an old school style party based rpg with the big thing being the combat system that is all about using the environment to your advantage to combo with your spells.

They rereleased it about a year ago with better graphics and some changes to the story and combat. And they added voice acting for every line in the game. Company so cool they gave everyone who had it already the game the updated version for free.

I think a sequel should be coming around soon too.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Holey moley Planescape was awesome, I also liked getting the chance to brutally own random cosmic level beings just for hanging out, like when you slew Trias for his sword, and if you tried to spare him with Vhailor in your party Vhailor killed him anyway for being a poo poo deva

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
"nice try player character, but I was such a stick in the mud implacable embodiment of justice in life that my soul lives forever in this suit of armor, and I cannot forgive this angel for loving up". -Vhailor

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Planescape Torment is a shitload of reading with a bad combat system, unlike Final Fantasy Tactics, which understands how to keep an economy of language with incredibly deep strategic battles.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bitter fly posted:

Star Ocean 2: The Second Story

this game is great. it has the most convoluted crafting system i have ever seen. i like using the duplicate skill to make False Awards and gain 100 levels :twisted: you need a full musical band playing though, or the percentages are't high enough.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Nanomashoes posted:

Planescape Torment is a shitload of reading with a bad combat system, unlike Final Fantasy Tactics, which understands how to keep an economy of language with incredibly deep strategic battles.

*throws rock at own party member*

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Nanomashoes posted:

They're both dope, but PS:T's battles take like two minutes and you don't need to min max your way through them because your insanely over powered party can sleep walk through most of the game as long as you talk to them. Grinding out an effective Calculator takes way longer

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
gently caress the overpowered DLC in BG2 includes Dak'kon's zerth blade and I'm pretty sure the only way you can lose him as a character is to slaughter him on purpose

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Planescape Torment rules so hard that you won't even bother reading other RPG stories when you're done with it because lol why bother it's all just trash after that

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Amnesiac hero? Oh I see, very interesting, I wish I had played a game that used that idea but made it into an amazing part of its storyline oh wait

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
And I said "What about breakfast at PS:T's?" and she said "I think I remember don't trust the skull"

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Try Dwarf Fortress or Darkest Dungeon for some relaxing chilled out fun, OP.

And by chilled out I mean :hb: the chill of the relaxing embrace of the loving grave. :hb:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
The idea for a sequel where Fall-From-Grace would try to find TNO in the lower planes was a great idea too, I wish the Planescape property still existed and they could've done that

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
No lie I'd kill every person in this thread if it would give me the chance to play PS:T fresh again, and a real PS:T sequel

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
*know* this

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Dark Cloud 2

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game is loving amazing and it has the best and most fun turn-based RPG combat I've EVER seen.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ape Fist posted:

Try Dwarf Fortress or Darkest Dungeon for some relaxing chilled out fun, OP.

And by chilled out I mean :hb: the chill of the relaxing embrace of the loving grave. :hb:

You can experience that kind of challenge in Final Fantasy Tactics' Deep Dungeon, aka Midlight's Deep.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

Games I have already tried and still left me feeling hollow:

Bastion

Transistor

Hyper Light Drifter

Dungeon of the Endless

I think I see the problem, OP. You want an good RPG but then you played a bunch of games that basically aren't RPGs at all.

Maybe try some RPGs?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

The game is loving amazing and it has the best and most fun turn-based RPG combat I've EVER seen.

Incidentally, the game is currently 50% off on Steam and GOG. Check it out.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Nanomashoes posted:

You can experience that kind of challenge in Final Fantasy Tactics' Deep Dungeon, aka Midlight's Deep.

*casts Accumulate*

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

this game is great. it has the most convoluted crafting system i have ever seen. i like using the duplicate skill to make False Awards and gain 100 levels :twisted: you need a full musical band playing though, or the percentages are't high enough.

You don't even need to have Orchestra on, the trick is to make one and then use Reproduction to make infinite 3D printer copes of it :eng101:

And even though infinitely copying poo poo with a 3D printer is expensive, well, you can make items with the same crafting specialty you use to make Fake Medals that exist solely to be sold for nearly 100,000 gold each and just copy those :pseudo:

Nanomashoes posted:

what do you mean if i kill the last enemy before walking on the hidden tile that lets you advance to the next stage, i don't get credit for clearing that floor? that was some lovely design i tell you what.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 2, 2016

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Dial-a-Dog posted:

No lie I'd kill every person in this thread if it would give me the chance to play PS:T fresh again, and a real PS:T sequel

I have legit forgotten most of it but remember it being really good

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Moon Atari posted:

I wish someone would make an RPG with the combat system from the new xcom .

Try Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Basically the same system as XCOM, but not as polished. Extremely fun games.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also a fair chunk of the Final Fantasy series, but mostly what you want is Chrono Trigger.

This. Or alternatively if you hate yourself and don't value your free time, a personal favorite is 7th Saga.

As an appropriate addendum, the first Lufia was good too. The second was just brimming with content.

"Harrower" posted:

Also lol if you aren't willing to emulate chrono trigger, earthbound, and lufia 2.

Also Seiken Densetsu 3 and Mother 2 because they're good sequels to good games. Pillars of Eternity lacks the wacky nature of Planescape Torment, but on the bright side it was a kickstarter so every other person you can talk to has dialogue written by some grognard about their love of table top. And gently caress it Chrono Cross.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 2, 2016

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Echoing this. It even has co-op, which I know at face value doesn't even make sense for an RPG to have, but thanks to the game's slightly ridiculous nature, everything from decision making to combat is made 100x funnier with another human being involved.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
have you considered regressing in age until you become a child again, op?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

have you considered regressing in age until you become a child again, op?

I was going to say this, but I instantly regressed into my own childhood upon thinking about RPGs I love.

Mod a Wii and fill it with emulators. Force your friends children to play it while you drink beer in the yard. This was my every weekend for the past five years.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solvent posted:

This. Or alternatively if you hate yourself and don't value your free time, a personal favorite is 7th Saga.

when was the last time you played 7th saga because i didn't even have the patience for that poo poo in high school, let alone as an adult

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

John Denver Hoxha posted:

The RPG-30 is pretty neat, it fires a smaller munition first that is designed to trigger active protection and allow the main warhead to go through.

this was the answer all along but since you're into the classics you might also consider the RPG-7

like many of the classics it's being remade by american fanboys and is surprisingly popular

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Tactics Ogre, OP.. If you can loving find it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Whens the next elder scrolls coming out? I tried bethesdas fallout 4 and it wasn't very interesting, but i'd look forward to another elder scrolls I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
7th Saga is the one where they hosed up the level scaling in the English version. Like you were supposed to scale with your nemesis, but they changed the multipliers so you just fall farther behind as you level up. gently caress you for trying to play it, I guess

• Locked thread