Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

Whens the next elder scrolls coming out? I tried bethesdas fallout 4 and it wasn't very interesting, but i'd look forward to another elder scrolls I think

fo4 is good if you ignore all the main story and mod the hell out of it, next elder scrolls could be 2020 last i heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
:smug:

It's the Battletoads of RPGs.

Great concept and kinda innovative for the time. You just gotta love the grind. The only character that was any good was the green fighter guy. Nobody else can beat that scale problem.

I probably played it for like 50 hours 3 or 4 years ago while I was stuck in a small town in North Carolina. On a Wii. Because gently caress it all if that system was good for anything other than modding and playing old roms on. drat near beat it too before I got a life again and moved back to San Diego where there weren't bugs the size of my hand and sweat rear end poo poo weather outside. loving terrible swamp shithole full of racists and pig poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

fo4 is good if you ignore all the main story and mod the hell out of it

Fallout 4 is like the definition of a game being massive in scale but being shallower than a puddle.
The only thing it does well is coming up with dumb poo poo, stuff like town building, to distract you from noticing how shallow the game it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't have minded an XCOM like Metal Gear Solid RPG game.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Skoll posted:

Tactics Ogre, OP.. If you can loving find it.

Let Us Cling Together is a good prequel to the refined gameplay of Final Fantasy Tactics, and it's based on the Yugoslav wars rather than the War of the Roses. A solid choice to play before FFT, the perfect RPG.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skoll posted:

I wouldn't have minded an XCOM like Metal Gear Solid RPG game.

Invisible Inc. or Metal Gear Ac!d?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Never heard of Invisible Inc, but wasn't MG Acid a card game?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skoll posted:

Never heard of Invisible Inc, but wasn't MG Acid a card game?

Invisible Inc. is exactly XCOM but focused on stealth rather than combat and MG Ac!d is actually a turn-based MGS but with cards, it's not a card game it just has cards as a mechanic.

Both are really good games and it is possible to play Metal Gear Ac!d on PC without any issues.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'll look into Invisible Ink. I don't enjoy card mechanics in games, which is why I never enjoyed Endless Space much so that leaves Acid out.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's so good. If Chrono Trigger wasn't basically a perfect game it would be number 1.

It's somehow my favorite PS1 mainline Final Fantasy even though it's the only one from that era I've never played.

Moon Atari posted:

Grandia 2. I'm not sure if it has been ported to PC, but you can probably emulate the ps2 version. Characters are good, it has a very unusual and interesting plot and the combat system is unique but familiar. It is real time turn based but apart from attacks and spells it also requires characters to run into different positions, which effects stats. It's not top down perspective though.

You're in luck!
I should dig my PS2 copy out of storage and play it sometime.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Jack Trades posted:

Fallout 4 is like the definition of a game being massive in scale but being shallower than a puddle.
The only thing it does well is coming up with dumb poo poo, stuff like town building, to distract you from noticing how shallow the game it.

the town building is pretty sweet though you can build all kindsa cool cities and watch a bunch of goobers get drunk and not do they drat jobs

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

the town building is pretty sweet though you can build all kindsa cool cities and watch a bunch of goobers get drunk and not do they drat jobs

if i wanted to watch goobers get drunk all day and not do their jobs i'd watch my own livestreams

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Fallout 5 won't be the exact same as New Vegas with an added minecraft mode.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
im not gonna read 6 pages of bullshit but its morrowind glad to have helped

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

I can do that by looking out the window or taking a stroll through the town square..

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Anachronox is a very funny western-made rpg now on steam that you should check out if you can get past the horribly outdated graphics. It's the closest you're going to get to a console rpg experience on PC, and the combat is actually pretty clever.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

get any of the ys games, i don't care which they're all ok

Yes, but don't start out with Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim. Despite being the latest one ported to PC/Steam, it's actually the first game in the series that uses the engine. The later games (Oath in Felghana, Origin) have better gameplay and I think it's a better experience all around.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

fo4 is good if you ignore all the main story and mod the hell out of it, next elder scrolls could be 2020 last i heard

2020? boy howdy that sucks

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just play smrpg again. I am doing that right now and it's loving good still.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

staplegun posted:

Anachronox is a very funny western-made rpg now on steam that you should check out if you can get past the horribly outdated graphics. It's the closest you're going to get to a console rpg experience on PC, and the combat is actually pretty clever.

Yes, but don't start out with Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim. Despite being the latest one ported to PC/Steam, it's actually the first game in the series that uses the engine. The later games (Oath in Felghana, Origin) have better gameplay and I think it's a better experience all around.

i only played the one that was ported to the wii store, do they all keep that mechanic where you fight by bumping sword-first into enemies on the map? and also the good music which was crucial to that game

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Just play smrpg again. I am doing that right now and it's loving good still.

Yeah but I already know everything that's gonna happen. What I want is exactly the magical feeling of playing SMRPG the first time.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Applewhite posted:

Yeah but I already know everything that's gonna happen. What I want is exactly the magical feeling of playing SMRPG the first time.

Let's see....

16 bit:
Secret of Mana (This game was the best when doing co-op with another person.)
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 3 (U.S.) / 6 (Japan)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
While Chrono Cross did not live up to Trigger, it was still a really good RPG, imo. Time's Scar still gives me chills from being such an epic piece of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J46RY4PU8a8

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i only played the one that was ported to the wii store, do they all keep that mechanic where you fight by bumping sword-first into enemies on the map? and also the good music which was crucial to that game

Nope they totally did away with that mechanic when they switched to the 3d engine. Now touching enemies rewards you with getting a chunk of your health removed. It gets even better when you enable your hyper mode to power up, since it removes invulnerability frames and knockback while it's enabled but still keeps you vulnerable to attack. If you aren't careful about it you can end up bouncing around in an enemy's hitbox and instantly drop most of your life.

The music still owns though so look forward to that!

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
People who say anything other than Suikoden 2 for the greatest jrpg of all time just don't get/havent played Suikoden 2. Its got a simplistic battle system, a believable complex story wrought with political intrigue, 10 billion sidequests/side-stories including an Iron Chef minigame, speed-run side-story, and the ability to recruit the hero from first Suikoden. You should play 1 first but it's so simplistic that its forgivable to force yourself into the series with 2 because 2 is just that loving good.

Also I I recommend Breath of Fire 3 and 4. The series has a sort of LoZ story telling method where the main 2 MC's are a blue haired boy named Ryu who is a dragon and a blonde girl named Nina who is a princess from a people with bird wings. But their stories are vastly different, at least moreso than the stories from 1-2.

They have cute characters, nice sprites, and simplistic battle systems though 4 added a combo system that spices up battles quite nicely without being convoluted and a mid-batyle character switching system so you no longer have to change your party through menus. You can also study enemies for their attacks/magic and augment your characters' stat growth by having them fight while under the study of "masters" who teach them new skills and sometimes give extra latent buffs. 4 also has the coolest character ever in the form of an stuttering dog person who fights using iaido.

Defo check them out OP

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Twelve Batmans posted:

People who say anything other than Suikoden 2 for the greatest jrpg of all time just don't get/havent played Suikoden 2. Its got a simplistic battle system, a believable complex story wrought with political intrigue, 10 billion sidequests/side-stories including an Iron Chef minigame, speed-run side-story, and the ability to recruit the hero from first Suikoden. You should play 1 first but it's so simplistic that its forgivable to force yourself into the series with 2 because 2 is just that loving good.

All these things and more apply to Final Fantasy Tactics, but FFT also has text boxes that are not full of garbage like this:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Vladimir Putt-Putt posted:

im not gonna read 6 pages of bullshit but its morrowind glad to have helped

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Also Illusion of Gaia for the SNES has the best story for an action rpg but people say they don't like it so maybe I have bad taste? Just try to ignore the fact that the woman that wrote the script used to write kirk/spock erotica fanfic.

In any case, I thought it was worse than its spiritual sequel (Terranigma) which most people really like. So, uh, I guess you should play those if you're into action rpgs.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Invisible Inc.

Skoll posted:

Invisible Ink

Oh my god I just got that. Holy crap.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I change my suggestion to Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure because this is not-so-secretly a PYF thread

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm gonna ignore all your criteria and suggest you play witcher 3 op

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

if you complete witcher 3 you are allowed to play ultima VII

all other suggestions go in the bin imo

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nanomashoes posted:

All these things and more apply to Final Fantasy Tactics, but FFT also has text boxes that are not full of garbage like this:

While I agree with you on some level, its really apples and oranges. I cant really consider tactical rpg's to be in the same vein as their simpler turn-based breathen, which is what the OP asked for.

That said, S2 still has way more hidden poo poo/alternate stuff to do/reasons to replay than FFT. I like the stuff with Cloud and the worker robot, and Beowulf and his dragon girlfriend and all those little extra things. But Suikoden 2 still has more than that. It's even better when you get into the series as a whole and explore how data upload gimmick works between 1,2, and 3.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nanomashoes posted:

FFT has entire weapons that have weird math involving simulated trajectory versus obstacles in three-dimensional space that human players simply don't have enough of the factors to calculate, but an AI that understands the game math can crunch in a couple frames. I don't think I can consider a battle system that makes maybe a quarter of the weapons basically unusable for a non-computer player "simplistic."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 2, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

FFT has entire weapons that have weird math involving simulated trajectory versus obstacles in three-dimensional space that human players simply don't have enough of the factors to calculate, but an AI that understands the game math can crunch in a couple frames. I don't think I can consider a battle system that makes maybe a quarter of the weapons basically unusable for a non-computer player "simplistic."

Bows and guns are super usable, I have no idea what you're on about.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Guns are easy. Bows are completely hosed because they're split into like three subtypes that you have to keep track of every time you upgrade it, and then if there are any walls or ceilings in the stage at all, well, good loving luck.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Here's a hot tip: they have a super huge range so you put yourself in a situation where two dudes are in your sniping range in case one is blocked, even though the things that can block you are super obvious.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

a gamer sits in front of a television, playstation controller in hand. "what?" he exclaims, "my arrows cannot pass through walls and ceilings? what trickery is this? what kind of sorcery am i supposed to do to use these things? this is ridiculous, it must take some kind of math genius to use them."

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nanomashoes posted:

Here's a hot tip: they have a super huge range so you put yourself in a situation where two dudes are in your sniping range in case one is blocked, even though the things that can block you are super obvious.

The point is that its far from simplistic compared to non-tactical turn based rpg's and you tried to compare two games that really can't be compared.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Twelve Batmans posted:

The point is that its far from simplistic compared to non-tactical turn based rpg's and you tried to compare two games that really can't be compared.

Who wants a simplistic rpg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Thank you everyone who gave me RPG suggestions and I think I've picked out some good ones. I'm starting to get more ideas than I can possibly use though so I'm going to be a good GBS 3.0 citizen and close the thread now that it's served its purpose.

If people want to keep discussing cool RPGs pls make a new thread. I will definitely be checking in, even though I will have no idea what you guys are talking about most of the time.

• Locked thread