Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Theres a bunch of people here that refuse to eat ketchup and steak together. Its crazy how picky people can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Baronjutter posted:

I'm 35 and only just starting to become a bit more ok with cilantro. Anyone can grow.
That's the main reason I give my wife any kind of break. It wasn't until my late 30s that I expanded my regular eating of fruits and vegetables. I ate them before, but not as much or willingness to try new ways of preparing, vegetable-only meals, etc.

Still, it can be trying to be married to a vegetarian that is really a carbohydratarian. She occasionally eats cooked onions, roasted asparagus, steamed broccoli and spinach or romaine salad. No fruits at all.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

tuyop posted:

I also have an irrational hatred of childish supertasters and the like.
I'm not sure how being a supertaster is "childish," considering it's an actual genetic thing that can be objectively tested for. It just has a really stupid name.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Imaduck posted:

I'm not sure how being a supertaster is "childish," considering it's an actual genetic thing that can be objectively tested for. It just has a really stupid name.

I think people roll their eyes at it because everyone who doesn't want to eat anything other than chicken fingers claims to be a supertaster on the internet.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Oxxidation posted:

Picky eating is largely a result of upbringing, I think.

Parenting is always a bit of nature, a bit of nurture. I'll eat anything and my younger brother was and is tremendously picky. The parenting techniques of "Just try one bite, you might like it" that worked great on me just caused huge battles with him at the dinner table, and one memorable occasion where he threw up brussels sprouts everywhere.

Fortunately my kid is more like me, and can learn to enjoy pretty much anything if she tries it enough. People congratulate me all the time when they see my 3-year-old eating grown-up food without a fuss, but I know I'm mostly just lucky.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

I think people roll their eyes at it because everyone who doesn't want to eat anything other than chicken fingers claims to be a supertaster on the internet.

Yup. Supertaster is to picky eater as Celiac sufferer is to gluten-free fad dieters.

I don't blame anyone for not liking something. I blame them for not even being willing to try something new. If they hate carrots, that's fine, and I won't tell them "But these hardly taste like carrots at all!" because that's stupid. I get slightly miffed if they aren't willing to try something completely new. If you've worked your way through every major cuisine, and every common ingredient, and all you like are chicken nuggets and instant mashed potatoes, then that sucks for you, and I am sorry. I'll never insult you for it though.

That being said, meat definitively, inarguably tastes better than vegetables overall, so I don't blame somebody for wanting to eat just meat. If they have the means to accomplish that, and are willing to deal with the nutritional consequences, so be it. I say this as someone who made vegan lettuce wraps for dinner last night.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
I had a roommate who was pretty picky about his eating. He had a bunch of rules regarding food, most of them crazy. The oven had one setting, 450 degrees. If you can't smell it burning, it's not done. Everything is just as good after being frozen. Ketchup is for French fries ONLY. No sauces allowed except marinara and then only on pasta or with mozzarella sticks. Fruits and vegetawhats? Whatever those are, they are certainly not food! He seems to like breaded stuff, but pulls off and throws out 90% of the breading so I don't know why he bothers. A piece of lettuce touching a burger can be reason enough to send back said burger.

I'm much less picky myself, but I do have some issues with steak. As a kid my parents would sometimes make steak but only the cheapest cuts and cooked badly into a horrible leather/bubble gum abomination that might be able to stop a bullet. As a result, decades later I still can't get steak at a restaurant except chopped steak or filet mignon.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wonder how many picky eaters get the habit early and then never make any attempt to break out of it. I'm about as far from a picky eater as can be, but there were things here and there I wasn't a big fan of growing up. Olives were one. I fuckin' love them now. Tastes change over time, and what frustrates me about picky eaters is some of them form a belief around 6 or 7 about hating a certain food and then avoid it at all costs the rest of their lives without stopping to think that maybe their tastes have changed.

I think a lot of times too it comes down to preparation with food, too. The difference between fresh properly prepared broccoli and lovely broccoli is so massive that they might as well be two different foods. It's like drinking a Coors Lite and condemning all beers after that.

People can do what they want of course and I won't judge you if you don't want to eat a certain food. I mean ultimately it's food who gives a poo poo.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Doom Rooster posted:

Yup. Supertaster is to picky eater as Celiac sufferer is to gluten-free fad dieters.

Fair enough, that's dumb. Like I said, I'm a supertaster, but I don't think it affects my diet much. It's really just a few specific things that taste bad (e.g. rye bread, grapefruits). It shouldn't stop you from trying new things or limit you to only eating fried foods or whatever bullshit.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Question for supertasters -- does it conversely make tasting the things that you can eat a super overwhelming experience? I've read about folks that have like an extra cone in their retinas that can see colors that most other people can't, is it a bit like that?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I don't understand how someone can't like cucumbers. They are the most inoffensive thing you can eat. They are the plain saltine cracker of the plant world.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

big trivia FAIL posted:

I don't understand how someone can't like cucumbers. They are the most inoffensive thing you can eat. They are the plain saltine cracker of the plant world.

Per my husband, they are slimy and smell funny.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

big trivia FAIL posted:

They're just water holding hands. It's disgusting.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Hell Gem

Scudworth posted:

I dated someone like this, the classic manbaby eating syndrome of only being able to deal with food that's white, beige, bland, heavily processed, and usually found on a children's menu. White bread only. Fries. Chicken fingers. The plainest pasta sauce only. And of course corn, the sugar candy of vegetables.
Years of eating completely separate meals and stopping at friggin' McDonalds on the way to every dinner party or a wedding because there would probably not be anything beige or bland enough for him to stomach! What if there was only whole wheat bread rolls!? He was never made to eat anything he disliked as a child, his mom would not dare confront a toddler to eat a vegetable, easier to just make some more chicken nuggets. This guy had never had an egg, in any kind of cooking style, in his life. Because they looked scary when he was 4.

He only got over it in his mid 30's after he started taking anxiety drugs, surprise. He sent me a photo of him eating sushi & sashimi and I almost fell over.

Lol nigga need a xanax to eat an egg. Shameful. How does society raise such broken people?

My wife was a little picky when I met her, very much a chicken strips and french guys kind of girl. She only pushed back against tomatoes, avocados, and raw onion. She quickly fell in love with avocado after I made her eat it with some marinated tuna sashimi. She's slowly accepting more and more raw onion. Still can't stand tomatoes for some reason. She won't eat indian food with me because it all looks like mush from a baby diaper/

Myself I am such a such a smug prick I've always prided myself on eating everything. My only challenge was loving oysters. I spent like 13 years trying to like them. I'd eat a raw oyster or oyster everytime they were around me only to be horribly disgusted every time. After over a decade of trying and hating them I finally had some amazing chicken fried oysters and they clicked for me. Only took gagging a literal hundred times to accept them. Now I love the drat things freshly shucked raw or what ever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

When I was young I had a whole list of stuff I wouldn't eat, including eggplant, beans of any kind, spinach, artichokes, peas, cucumber and, strangely, mashed potatoes. The hate for beans was borne out of a dish my dad would cook which was a traditional venetian dish of beans and pasta (my dad is a good cook, I just hated that dish). The hate for mashed potatoes (I could still eat non-mashed potatoes) was due to going to a kindergarten where they served crappy mash with the black bits that sometimes appear on the surface of potatoes still present. Those listed are now some of my favorite vegetables, and I eat all of them regularly apart from peas, which I still dislike.

I tried clams recently which I've always disliked and they were amazing as well.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

big trivia FAIL posted:

I don't know why but cucumbers are one of the only foods I dislike. I liked them pickled. The only other foods I can think of that I actively dislike are Guangxi style fermented bamboo shoots and ketchup? There's probably something else but I can't think of it now. Cucumbers have a mild flavor but the flavor is really bad imho.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

What kind of weird cucumbers are y'all eating that are slimy?? Are you confusing okra and cucumbers?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

big trivia FAIL posted:

What kind of weird cucumbers are y'all eating that are slimy?? Are you confusing okra and cucumbers?

When a cucumber isn't fresh or hasn't been stored properly it can get a little slimey. I think a lot of people who don't like food X or Y just haven't had it fresh or correct quality. Some people apparently put tomatoes in the fridge and food-ruining poo poo like that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

big trivia FAIL posted:

No, okra is delicious. But I also hate pickles.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
To this day, I don't like fruit. I just can't stand the texture of it. I get the feeling that if I were to blend it up, I would like it more. Also if I eat broccoli, it has to be cooked to the point of becoming softish. Not super soft, but softer than raw.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not liking fruit as an entire class is seriously hosed up and is something you should work on fixing.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
My wife won't even eat cooked fruit, also citing texture. Even though the difference between a fresh apple and baked apple (as in a pie) is dramatic.

I've tried to explain to her that all fruits, fresh or cooked have different textures. It doesn't matter.

I could make fruit bars that were more bar-like (sugar, flour, oats) with a thin veneer of fruit and she'd be turned off.

Pancakes with blueberries? "Please make some plain for me."

Overpriced and over sugared Jamba Juice-like drinks though, that's A-OK.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Baronjutter posted:

Not liking fruit as an entire class is seriously hosed up and is something you should work on fixing.

Yea I agree. Fruit in general is for kids but ill indulge in some raspberries when they are in season.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm just shaking my head in sadness and pity if you don't like getting your whole face sticky as gently caress chomping down on a mango until you're just scraping the pit.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Who cares about picky eaters, the really weird people are the ones where their food absolutely cannot touch, if you work/have worked in a restaurant you know how annoying this is. Holy poo poo, your mashed potato touched a part of your steak and now the parts that touched are some sort of poison that you can't eat, despite the fact that it all goes to the same loving place, and, often times, food mixed together is better than separated!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I get not liking certain individual foods because of their texture (I do not like raw apples for this reason, for instance, but I love them when they are cooked).

But fruits as a whole have widely different textures. Bananas, oranges, berries, melons, grapes, etc. are all very different in texture so it seems weird to me to hate all fruits because of their texture.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Question for supertasters -- does it conversely make tasting the things that you can eat a super overwhelming experience? I've read about folks that have like an extra cone in their retinas that can see colors that most other people can't, is it a bit like that?
Probably not? I mean, I can only describe my own experience, and since I've never not been a supertaster, I can't really say what would taste better. Typically, I've only really heard it described by things that supertasters don't like compared to the general population. I haven't heard of any foods that supertasters prefer that the general population doesn't really care for, although I don't think it's been well studied.

Rye bread is basically inedible to me; the flavor just tastes super overpowering and I just can't eat it. Mushrooms have always tasted bad to me; I can stomach them, but the flavor definitely stands out even with they're in a dish with many other flavors. I like a little bit of grapefruit flavor, but any modest amount of it is overwhelming to me. Basically, I hated these foods for a long time, but just figured it was personal preference. I really never understood rye bread, and how folks weren't gagging whenever they ate it, or how people didn't find the mushrooms in dishes overpowering. Then, I was a random science fair thing and did the test and once I found out what it was I was like "oh, that makes sense."

It's also a pretty YMMV thing too. Just like the cilantro thing, supposedly there's a lot of different genes that can affect it, so it's probably several different phenomena. Supposedly a lot of supertasters don't like coffee, whereas if I cut it with some milk and sugar, I like it just fine. Similarly, hoppy beers took awhile to get used to, but now I enjoy them regularly. You can also train yourself to like just about anything with enough experimentation, so food preferences are still a mix of nature and nurture.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I get not liking certain individual foods because of their texture (I do not like raw apples for this reason, for instance, but I love them when they are cooked).

But fruits as a whole have widely different textures. Bananas, oranges, berries, melons, grapes, etc. are all very different in texture so it seems weird to me to hate all fruits because of their texture.

There are plenty of similarities across a lot of fruits, though. Generally some mix of squishy/pulpy, sometimes with skin. On top of that a lot of mass market produce just has a watery, vaguely sweet flavor. So yeah, I find fruit unpleasant in general, although as others have noted a lot of it has to do with quality and presentation; I still think fresh, quality fruit is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I love all berries and fruits but they must be perfect, unblemished, archetypically perfect specimens or they are banished from sight.

If they arrive all cut up already though it's nbd. you take the unwanted fruit out of my view, prepare it, and bring it back? totally fine.

• Locked thread