Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad Mika is serious about his farming. It's good that he has things to keep himself occupied with outside of murder and war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

And this is why he is my favorite character.

Eugene is definitely up there for me. You don't generally get someone who's trusted with a dangerous, high skill job where the pep talk is "And if you screw up and get us all killed, we'll just say 'What else did you expect from Eugene?'"

Also, I approve of Mika learning to kill with all parts of the Gundam. Some people get lazy with beamspam and one reliable combo. Mikazuki figures out how to use the subarms for more efficient murder.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope the show ends with Mika giving up piloting the Gundam to embrace farming. He'd be like the William Munny of his era.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Kanos posted:

Well, at least if anyone was worried that the final episode of S1 meant they were toning down the brutality on display, this episode should put that to rest pretty conclusively.

No one ever doubted the series' willingness to repaint cockpits with jets of anime blood. The problem is every arc ending with unfitting, unambiguous happy endings.

Merribit: You're outnumbered 10-to-1, you have to retreat. Think of the children!
Orga: That would be an insult to our dead comrades.* Deploy the toddler division.
And then everything works out anyway

*I can't even remember who's died in Tekkadan apart from Biscuit and those nameless redshirts from the space pirate filler arc

It remains to be seen whether this arc will have consequences, as McGillis luring them into the space pirate ambush in this episode was just a setup for the stakes being raised by the arrival of a larger Gjallarhorn faction.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think Mika would very much like to farm til the end of his days, it's just that being a pilot is the safest route for Tekkadan and his family in the long run.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Microcline posted:

No one ever doubted the series' willingness to repaint cockpits with jets of anime blood. The problem is every arc ending with unfitting, unambiguous happy endings.

Merribit: You're outnumbered 10-to-1, you have to retreat. Think of the children!
Orga: That would be an insult to our dead comrades.* Deploy the toddler division.

*I can't even remember who's died in Tekkadan apart from Biscuit and those nameless redshirts from the space pirate filler arc

I'd say the Dort arc ended on a bit of a bummer. Tekkadan got out alive, and Kudelia managed to get a message out, but Fumitan bought it, the revolution ended with the slaughter of the Dort union and no changes, and later we'd find out Biscuit's brother committed suicide. Not exactly one for the scrapbook.

But more importantly, you're misreading Orga's lines in this one. Even ignoring that they were 'only' outnumbered 10-3, with friendly reinforcements known to be inbound, it wasn't about people who were already dead. It was

"We can minimize our losses by retreating now"

"But we'll still take losses. I'd rather lose a little more in exchange for a major win than let our people die for nothing."

Different argument.

Plus, fight's still going. We'll see how it works out soon enough. I mean, yeah, IBO's been a bit light on named fatalities, but it's a little early to say this season's keeping up the trend.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Everyone in the Earth branch feels like they are marked to get wiped out midseason for the dramatic turn.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Presumably when they manage to seriously piss off Gjallarhorn in this battle. I was actually a little surprised at how cleanly the lines seem to be drawn here, though - Tekkadan is now an open, deputised ally of the McGillis faction, and Julietta specifically attacks Mika for being part of that faction. I assume that this won't remain the truth for the whole season - I can see McGillis cutting Tekkadan loose if they manage to genuinely cross the line, and Rustal remains absolutely bedecked in death flags ready for that line-crossing - but it is still a little surprising how direct this all is for the moment.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Presumably when they manage to seriously piss off Gjallarhorn in this battle. I was actually a little surprised at how cleanly the lines seem to be drawn here, though - Tekkadan is now an open, deputised ally of the McGillis faction, and Julietta specifically attacks Mika for being part of that faction. I assume that this won't remain the truth for the whole season - I can see McGillis cutting Tekkadan loose if they manage to genuinely cross the line, and Rustal remains absolutely bedecked in death flags ready for that line-crossing - but it is still a little surprising how direct this all is for the moment.

Julietta did not really attack him just stopped him from attacking the pirate boss as they want to take him down.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say the Dort arc ended on a bit of a bummer. Tekkadan got out alive, and Kudelia managed to get a message out, but Fumitan bought it, the revolution ended with the slaughter of the Dort union and no changes, and later we'd find out Biscuit's brother committed suicide. Not exactly one for the scrapbook.

But more importantly, you're misreading Orga's lines in this one. Even ignoring that they were 'only' outnumbered 10-3, with friendly reinforcements known to be inbound, it wasn't about people who were already dead. It was

"We can minimize our losses by retreating now"

"But we'll still take losses. I'd rather lose a little more in exchange for a major win than let our people die for nothing."

Different argument.

Plus, fight's still going. We'll see how it works out soon enough. I mean, yeah, IBO's been a bit light on named fatalities, but it's a little early to say this season's keeping up the trend.

Yeah I'm engaging in a bit of hyperbole and the jury is still out on S2. The problem is that when this keeps happening Meribbit comes off as a wet blanket instead of a voice of reason for being the designated "war is bad" character. Second, if IBO was able to show the consequences of violence it wouldn't need a specific character to tell us that war is bad.

Ethiser posted:

Everyone in the Earth branch feels like they are marked to get wiped out midseason for the dramatic turn.

It's the same problem the Turbines had in S1. There's not much character development to make us care about them and it won't be shocking when they die because their sole purpose in the plot is to die to raise the stakes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's 3 episodes out of 26, don't be this season's Atra guy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Meribit is basically in Biscuit's role from season 1. The most cautious member of Tekkadan, close with Orga and someone who he can actually show weakness around. It's a bit different since Biscuit was a close friend, while she's an older and more mature advisor if anything, but still similar. And just like with Biscuit her doubt of Orga's plans is to show that he's still walking a dangerous line in his goal to use these kids as child soldiers so they don't have to be child soldiers any more. And who knows, maybe he'll bite off more than he can chew this season.

Though i'm not sure if it was wise to put as much focus as they did on how dangerous this operation could be early on, because the fight seems to be serving the purpose of showing that Tekkadan's become kind of a big deal over the time skip. They've got a bunch of actual mobile suits, they've got more people and more ships, they're in a much better position than they were in season 1and can probably handle this.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A detail that the first episode of the season mentioned was that Tekkadan's success has actually inspired others to start deploying more child soldiers. Hopefully, Orga will have to eventually face the fact that his actions have had incredibly hosed up consequences such as this. Biscuit's death was sad, but there are many Biscuits out there now who will die.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Microcline posted:

It remains to be seen whether this arc will have consequences, as McGillis luring them into the space pirate ambush in this episode was just a setup for the stakes being raised by the arrival of a larger Gjallarhorn faction.

A shitload of Tekkadan kids died horribly attacking Edmonton, on screen even. It's just that they were nameless and the decision to carry the show to a second season meant that Tekkadan had to continue existing as a relatively intact organization so their losses were played down and largely forgotten in the tonally inconsistent ending.

This arc is pretty clearly all setup, since it's all about drawing Tekkadan back into conflict with McGillis's rivals in Gjallarhorn.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say the Dort arc ended on a bit of a bummer. Tekkadan got out alive, and Kudelia managed to get a message out, but Fumitan bought it, the revolution ended with the slaughter of the Dort union and no changes, and later we'd find out Biscuit's brother committed suicide.

There's a television broadcast a few episodes later that mentions that things were all worked out on Dort and that the unions got what they wanted in the end.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raxivace posted:

A detail that the first episode of the season mentioned was that Tekkadan's success has actually inspired others to start deploying more child soldiers. Hopefully, Orga will have to eventually face the fact that his actions have had incredibly hosed up consequences such as this. Biscuit's death was sad, but there are many Biscuits out there now who will die.

They showed that this episode as well with how these random pirates who probably won't be too important past next episode are using human debris. And Mika is still just mowing through them like any other solider he faces.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 17, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

To be fair, they don't know that human debris pilots are mostly the enemy ranks.

On the other hand, that wouldn't change a single thing on Mika's part.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raxivace posted:

Biscuit was not human debris however. He was an employee who joined up of his own will. So his situation is a bit different.

Still not a good thing however.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Another little thing that grabbed me this episode: Atra noticing Mika's right arm working again while he's hooked up to Barbatos.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Meribit is basically in Biscuit's role from season 1. The most cautious member of Tekkadan, close with Orga and someone who he can actually show weakness around. It's a bit different since Biscuit was a close friend, while she's an older and more mature advisor if anything, but still similar. And just like with Biscuit her doubt of Orga's plans is to show that he's still walking a dangerous line in his goal to use these kids as child soldiers so they don't have to be child soldiers any more. And who knows, maybe he'll bite off more than he can chew this season.

Though i'm not sure if it was wise to put as much focus as they did on how dangerous this operation could be early on, because the fight seems to be serving the purpose of showing that Tekkadan's become kind of a big deal over the time skip. They've got a bunch of actual mobile suits, they've got more people and more ships, they're in a much better position than they were in season 1and can probably handle this.

There's some subtext to that. The characters thought it would be dangerous because they'd be tangling with Dawn Horizon. We knew it'd be dangerous because they're diving straight into the beginnings of the Gjallarhorn civil war, and may either end up kicking it off or getting both sides after them.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

I'm glad that McGillis teaming with Tekkadan isn't really a secret, and laughing that Akihiko is annoyed that people keep surrendering to him.

I just love that when Aki runs out of ammo he just pulls the GIANT loving CLAW. The use of Big Lumps of Metal rather than beamspam as weapons is one of the best things about IBO's fight scenes.

And Aki holding off after the surrender pretty much cements him as more human than Mika at this point. I have a strong feeling that Mika's only response in that situation would be 'oops' (like with Carta's henchman not even getting into the suit).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

In mika's defense, his kills are way too quick to elect a surrender. The dude was punching cockpits to save ammo.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Yeah Mika's strategy is go for the cockpit every time; he doesn't give them time to surrender he just goes hit-hit-crush your cockpit kill your blood sluices out the sides.

It's like the combat version of Orga's plans. Go for the throat and take the shortest path to victory.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Kill the meat, save the metal.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I really like how the main battleships are as nimble as mobile armours in this series.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DigitalRaven posted:

I just love that when Aki runs out of ammo he just pulls the GIANT loving CLAW. The use of Big Lumps of Metal rather than beamspam as weapons is one of the best things about IBO's fight scenes.

And Aki holding off after the surrender pretty much cements him as more human than Mika at this point. I have a strong feeling that Mika's only response in that situation would be 'oops' (like with Carta's henchman not even getting into the suit).

To be fair, Akihiro sounded actually pissed that the guy surrendered and there's at least a reasonable chance he would have just killed the guy anyway if Lafter hadn't showed up to yell at him. Dude was bloodlusting.

KoB
May 1, 2009

The Sandman posted:

Another little thing that grabbed me this episode: Atra noticing Mika's right arm working again while he's hooked up to Barbatos.

Also near the beginning when he was sitting around, his arm just floats around awkwardly.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Kanos posted:

A shitload of Tekkadan kids died horribly attacking Edmonton, on screen even. It's just that they were nameless and the decision to carry the show to a second season meant that Tekkadan had to continue existing as a relatively intact organization so their losses were played down and largely forgotten in the tonally inconsistent ending.

This arc is pretty clearly all setup, since it's all about drawing Tekkadan back into conflict with McGillis's rivals in Gjallarhorn.

He built a memorial for them in the beginning of the second part, it shows that they had about 50 casualties over the campaign, Orga despite telling them to go all out still shown more caution than CGS did where they lost 42 soldiers in a single battle and that doesn't even account for the human debris. If it wasn't for Orga's leadership, they would loose the same amount of casualties every battle because the strategy of CGS is "send them out to die so we can hog the glory"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They showed that this episode as well with how these random pirates who probably won't be too important past next episode are using human debris. And Mika is still just mowing through them like any other solider he faces.

That is Mika's combat doctrine, it isn't because he is a psychopath (if he was, he would relish in slowly killing the pilot vs a quick blow that ends it.) You raise a weapon against him and you are as good as dead and most Debris are already indoctrinated to fighting to the last breath as well as having no one to save them.

The only bummer part is they don't double up the tragedy and toss in female human debris, a dark parody of the Turbines.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 17, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

I really like how the main battleships are as nimble as mobile armours in this series.

Given that the first ever IBO mobile armour is on its way, you might want to hold off on that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's that nice balance where ships are fast in space because duh it's space, but not too fast like in Igloo where ships are basically drifting like it's Fast and Furious.

Erays3r
Nov 3, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gundam 00 was a Gundam series that had a really good first season and then a lackluster second season. This has happened with other Sunrise-produced mecha shows, like Code Geass and Gundam Build Fighters. Good first season, not-so-good second season. When IBO Season 2 was announced, people were worried that it would follow that trend.

So far so good , tho we're only 3 eps in. Im hopeful this bucks the trend.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

It's that nice balance where ships are fast in space because duh it's space, but not too fast like in Igloo where ships are basically drifting like it's Fast and Furious.
Hopefully, things in IBO don't get too insane to the point where we start having to resist the urge to insert Initial D music to underscore the crazy ship drifting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Erays3r posted:

SEED Destiny didn't really poo poo the bed until episode 11, fair warning.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Erays3r posted:

The worries are more in the payoff than the setup, I feel

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Do we have any confirmation that Season 2 is the end of IBO? Perhaps we'll get the mythical third season of a Gundam show after this...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

Do we have any confirmation that Season 2 is the end of IBO? Perhaps we'll get the mythical third season of a Gundam show after this...

6 seasons and a movie

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

The split-season stuff was planned so if there's a third season I don't think it would happen any time soon. If it were to happen it would probably be a full on sequel series like Destiny made a year or two down the line, I imagine.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The idea of a Gundam series greater than 52 episodes is one I personally don't like tho...especially in the modern anime climate.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Most 50 episode shows are too long anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tae posted:

SEED Destiny didn't really poo poo the bed until episode 11, fair warning.

Early GSD had Neo Roanoke, the character assassination of Cagalli Yula Athna, ZAFT designing three mobile suits homaging the most hateful anti-Coordinator suits seen in SEED (one of which turns into a land animal, when they already have the technology to make their mobile suits fly) and a bunch of pointless insert songs, some of which repeat.

I know people wish Shinn was the real protagonist and Kira hadn't come to ruin his party but let's not pretend GSD was ever good.

• Locked thread