Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

2014 was a really weird year since you had a whopping three Gundam shows airing at once- Try, G-Reco, and Gundam-san.

That's right, I just reminded you all that Gundam-san exists.

I remained disappointed Gundam-san wasn't the show I wanted it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

I remained disappointed Gundam-san wasn't the show I wanted it to be.

You wanted it to be good?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

2014 was a really weird year since you had a whopping three Gundam shows airing at once- Try, G-Reco, and Gundam-san.

That's right, I just reminded you all that Gundam-san exists.

As with all other mentions of Gundam-san, I will forget about it entirely within the fortnight.

It's interesting to have three shows at once, all flawed in such distinct ways. Like, if they all were the same kind of failure, well, makes sense. But as things stand, even though it's easy to find people who dislike all three, people don't generally dislike, say, G-Reco and Try on the same grounds.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I have never heard of Gundam-san, so when you said that, I thought you were being cheeky.

What the hell is a Gundam-san?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

I have never heard of Gundam-san, so when you said that, I thought you were being cheeky.

What the hell is a Gundam-san?

It's a series of weird three minute shorts where Char does stupid crap that's supposed to be funny, but isn't. But I think it's more a general Gundam thread discussion, really.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Glad to see we're still gunning down unarmed people without blinking. :allears:

Good episode, but I hope that was the last fight we're getting for a few episodes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man the rising tension music that plays during that scene leading to it is loving brutal.You know its going to happen but its still tense as all gently caress

e- Also near the end when the accountant pops up saying We want you to check out what we found while digging I knew exactly where it was leading

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 23, 2016

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dear god that scene looked like it was right out of an old mafia movie. It was perfect.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This is slowly becoming a reality tv show to determine Mika's top rival.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I'm just waiting for the escalator to break down, causing tekkadan to fall from their lofty heights in a splatter of viscera...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
orga this is a terrible loving idea. you dont shake hands of a deal before you even know what they're offering. i think the theme of s2 differs from s1 in that while they keep making insane gambles, this time they arent the underdogs, but actually have something to lose

also mask#2 totally has a reason to hard after tekkadan now that they've tied themselves to fareed

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

One of the things we take for granted in anime is how the eyes reflect light, I didnt notice till now but Mikas right doesnt have that shine anymore. Its a tiny detail but it sure is consistent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

orga this is a terrible loving idea. you dont shake hands of a deal before you even know what they're offering. i think the theme of s2 differs from s1 in that while they keep making insane gambles, this time they arent the underdogs, but actually have something to lose

also mask#2 totally has a reason to hard after tekkadan now that they've tied themselves to fareed

You know, apart from them helping his best fried murder his other two best friends.

Also, the race for Sandoval was funny as hell. Those poor pirates just did not deal well with being reduced to stages on an obstacle course.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One other thing - that suit that Tekkadan dug up is the Gundam Flauros. That's a big surprise - I was sure it'd turn out to be a Gjallarhorn machine. Between that and the first ever Post Disaster mobile armour, Tekkadan has a stupid-huge amount of firepower on its side.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like how concerned Yamagi was with Norba when he showed personal interest in the new Gundam frame.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Flauros looks like it'll be a good fit for him, too - the head not only has shark-teeth, but looks like it borrows its main sensor from the old Graze Custom.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Hunt11 posted:

I like how concerned Yamagi was with Norba when he showed personal interest in the new Gundam frame.

Tell the boy, Yamagi, just tell him-this doesn't do anyone any good, and you know what he's going to do with what they found today.

Anyway, a disturbing picture rises today; Tekkadan's star is climbing, but Mika's still gunning down unarmed men on Orga's say-so, and Orga's still shaking on deals before the terms are hammered out. As our bro said, that's terrible politics, and the only one that seems to notice or care is Kudelia. The scene is ripe for exploitation by McGillis, and there are a number of angles he can exploit to now stab them in the back. One of these is the very relationship between Mika and Orga- for all of his gambles, Orga's never actually killed anyone, and Mika is no planner. So when the anvil falls... are they going to separate the dream team- abscond with Orga, and in so doing force Tekkadan to change or die?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I guess I'm the only one that assumes Orga shaked on the deal just to get things moving, but already has some back-up plans in mind when it goes to poo poo? Sorta like the mafia deal before, he didn't just go in guns blazing before calling in a favor to prevent reinforcements.

Also I didn't notice until today that McGilli's rep is a major character. His face screamed generic one-time guy, like that Earth guy from Naruto.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Orga is basically locked in a game of chicken with McGuillis with the cliff being the inevitable betrayal. Orga is fully aware of whats happening but still thinks its the fastest way for earning Tekkadan a solid place in the world. He's not wrong, but its horribly risky.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I actually think that McGillis is going to play reasonably nice with Tekkadan. The problem is that Orga doesn't quite grasp the enormity of gaining his enemies. Speaking of, the title for the next episode is bland and un-poetic enough to be ominous as gently caress.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
So is nobody going to bring up that Orga sealed that deal without consulting Mika, and Mika apparently noticed?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Artum posted:

So is nobody going to bring up that Orga sealed that deal without consulting Mika, and Mika apparently noticed?

I dont think Orga consults with Mika when making a decision. Thats just the typical Mika stare after Orga makes a decision.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mika's said multiple times that he trusts any decision Orga makes.

I love little cliches they make fun of during battle. Super accurate sniper in space? Mika avoids his shot by literally just going straight because dodging makes him more likely to get hit.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raxivace posted:

A detail that the first episode of the season mentioned was that Tekkadan's success has actually inspired others to start deploying more child soldiers. Hopefully, Orga will have to eventually face the fact that his actions have had incredibly hosed up consequences such as this. Biscuit's death was sad, but there are many Biscuits out there now who will die.

Apparently this episode confirmed that I have secretly been Kudelia this whole time, without even realizing it myself. I guess I better get some poofy hair and start teaching goons how to read and write.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I liked this episode a lot; it was really good that it pulled back pretty hard on the narrative of Tekkadan as scrappy good guy protagonists. Kudelia verbally acknowledging that yeah, Orga might be extremely successful in the short term but isn't really helping the issue in the long term at all was good and I'm glad that the show acknowledges it instead of pretending it's not an issue.

Darth Walrus posted:

I actually think that McGillis is going to play reasonably nice with Tekkadan. The problem is that Orga doesn't quite grasp the enormity of gaining his enemies. Speaking of, the title for the next episode is bland and un-poetic enough to be ominous as gently caress.

Yeah, there's pretty much no current visible reason why McGillis would be looking to slip a knife into Tekkadan's back at this juncture. They're an extremely valuable and useful catspaw for him that he can utilize with at least a thin layer of plausible deniability and they have no reason to turn against him yet, so there's no benefit to him not just continuing the same sort of business arrangement that they used to take down the Dawn Horizon Corps. Tekkadan also makes some pretty big gains with this alliance too, honestly. While Gjallarhorn has lost a ton of stock in the world, they're still effectively the law. Having an in with a powerful faction of Gjallarhorn gives them a lot of leeway that they otherwise wouldn't have, as evidenced by them getting away scot free with cold blooded vengeance murder.

But as you say, Orga is pretty badly underestimating the danger of inserting Tekkadan into the middle of a power struggle at the top of the most powerful organization in known space.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 23, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We're all in agreement that at some point this season Tekkadan are going to get collectively slaughtered down to a small group of the main cast by their own hubris, right?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We're all in agreement that at some point this season Tekkadan are going to get collectively slaughtered down to a small group of the main cast by their own hubris, right?
I think it kind of has to eventually, or some kind of equivalent fall from grace for Tekkadan should. Maybe they'll just become a part of some new corrupt, exploitative world government or something. Who knows for sure.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Mika continuing to just straight up execute people somehow is still funny in a "jesus loving christ!" way. The tension leading up to it was amazing too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

I think it kind of has to eventually, or some kind of equivalent fall from grace for Tekkadan should. Maybe they'll just become a part of some new corrupt, exploitative world government or something. Who knows for sure.

It won't be political corruption. They have been carving a bloody mess through everyone they fight without a shred of mercy. Eventually the wheel is gonna turn and bring the same down on them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tae posted:

I love little cliches they make fun of during battle. Super accurate sniper in space? Mika avoids his shot by literally just going straight because dodging makes him more likely to get hit.

I think the idea is that Iok is just a garbage-tier pilot. Julietta seemed less than thrilled that he was coming along last episode, and straight up told him that he was getting in the way in the current one.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think I'd class their actions as hubristic because that implies a belief of invincibility; I think reckless is a lot more accurate. Orga is at least nominally aware about the nature of the risks he takes and the cost of failure; remember that Biscuit died in his arms. He just believes that taking insane risks is the only way to advance Tekkadan at a rate that he views as meaningful and acceptable. The blinders on Orga aren't that he isn't aware that Tekkadan could get hosed and lose everything, it's that he doesn't realize that the very success of Tekkadan is exacerbating the problem that Tekkadan's success is meant to fix. However, I do agree with:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It won't be political corruption. They have been carving a bloody mess through everyone they fight without a shred of mercy. Eventually the wheel is gonna turn and bring the same down on them.

They very heavily foreshadowed the possibility that Orga's tendency to resort to naked force to resolve every situation is going to turn around and bite him in the rear end at some point.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So is Tekkadan gonna be the ones with mobile armor, is this how its gonna go? No super machine of doom for the other players no, its the main cast who is gonna bust out the big rear end death machine first. Inevitable stealing of the mobile armor will occur, but we now know who new mikazuki rivals suit is gonna be.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

I think the idea is that Iok is just a garbage-tier pilot. Julietta seemed less than thrilled that he was coming along last episode, and straight up told him that he was getting in the way in the current one.

"I'd be in more danger if I tried to dodge."

I liked how the fight in this episode shifted from being dramatic to being kind of a farce at the end. Julieta's being set up as Gjallahorn's answer to Mikazuki (she even used his armor ejection trick), which meant the fight stopped being about trying to survive and went to being a competition for points. Makes sense not to try to build the tension again when the two people supposedly at risk are high tier murder machines.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Nah, he was introduced with some crazy-rear end sharpshooting. Mika was just taking into account that dodging would mean slowing down, making himself an easier target. Julietta's dislike of him is pretty obviously not something we're supposed to agree with, just her getting prickly around the snot-nosed rich kid that she, God's gift to mobile suits, is saddled with. I'm guessing she carved her way up through raw talent, and has certain prejudices regarding nobles who got their suits through family connections.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think it's a pretty simple thing of Iok dying would make her boss unhappy, and there's literally no need for him to be there.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Tae posted:

My favorite part of this episode, oddly enough. It's the little things. :allears:

Orga continues to be both a very fun to watch leader while also making me what to yell at him. I'm glad we're a few episodes in and it hasn't swayed from the feel of the first season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

I think it's a pretty simple thing of Iok dying would make her boss unhappy, and there's literally no need for him to be there.

Well, there's no need in her opinion. Girl's real good in a fight, but it remains to be seen whether it's quite enough to match up to her ego, and Iok ran some pretty useful interference to let her focus more on Sandoval.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Overlord K posted:

My favorite part of this episode, oddly enough. It's the little things. :allears:

Orga continues to be both a very fun to watch leader while also making me what to yell at him. I'm glad we're a few episodes in and it hasn't swayed from the feel of the first season.

Also, the OP isn't a dramatic downgrade from the first season, which feels like a good omen, and is more than I can say for certain other Gundam shows (00, I'm looking at you).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also a nod to this thread from last week, Mika complaining about how hard it is to make enemies surrender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That already happened in episode one of season one. Kids got shot in the head and everything.

For real though, them owning a new mine could be an interesting source of internal conflict for Tekkadan. Mining is an industry that's ripe for all sorts of lovely behavior from owners and supervisors, especially when things start to get tight. They could find themselves drawn into the sort of behavior they normally like to shoot people for pretty quick.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 24, 2016

• Locked thread