Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I haven't had a chance to watch the new episode yet, but I just have to say that the new barbatos looks loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

"well I can't be a farmer anymore, so I'll just fight until I loving die"

loving hell this show can be bleak. Great episode though. It's just shows how messed up Mika is if he's still not having any reservations about getting back in the gundam.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Your friend's a huge idiot.

The toonami thread really didn't like ibo for similar reasons.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

VolticSurge posted:

So,just got back into the show.A friend showed me the Akihiro VS Galan Mossa fight. JESUS CHRIST. I am now fully re-invested and intend to give Season 2 a proper chance.
Akhiro's turning Galan's line about "you seem like a decent guy" back at him was loving great.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I gotta say this show really did a good job contrasting Carta and Iok. At first, they both seemed like well meaning, honourable people who unfortunately were help perpetrating a corrupt system. But now the show did a good job showing that "nope Iok's actually this dangerous self righteous rear end in a top hat whose willing to do war crimes due to a temper tantrum."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

You know I just realised that this is probably the only sunrise show in which I enjoyed the second season more than the first.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm late and saw episode 43 this week, but man this show is really good and making me wonder who to root for. Vidar is completely justified in wanting to take McGillis down as he's sociopath who only cares about power. On the other hand, he's defending a broken system and being used by the powers that be. McGillis wanting to take down Gjallhorn is also justifiable, and who knows, he may be able to make a better system out of it. But he may be so hosed up that he's fundamentally incapable of making such a system.

This show is some good gundam.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I actually am genuinely wondering if Iok is going to survive. The show keeps pushing that he's a *fuckup* but not a malicious monster and that his men trust and respect him. Iok learning not to be a fuckup and having to live with his mistakes and consequences would probably be more interesting, if not less viscerally satisfying, than him getting a healthy dose of Vitamin Mika.

No he's not just a fuckup, he's a guy who actively killed fleeing civilians using illegal weapons, along with murdering a guy who was surrendering.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say Orga's still sane. He's clearly realized how much he's hosed up, it's just that, through bad luck and even worse decisions, he's out of options that aren't "work with total loving lunatic".

Yeah it's nice to see the culmination of orga's strategy of"get to the end point as fast possible" has royally bit him in the rear end.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 28, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm fine with Mcgillis plan being naive, since it's established early on that he's obsessed with Bael and the show's been clear that he's while he's smart he's got a simplistic worldview.

Also it'd be difficult in his position to reform Gjallajorn since he's one around many. Nice little parallel with both McGillis and Orga trying to rush to their end goal and loving themselves.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

I can't believe this series would imply that two teens had sex. What is this world coming to?

It's not helped by the fact that Atra, who is allegedly a sixteen- seventeen year old looks like she's 10.

Also she's doing it for insanely hosed up reasons.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's sort of interesting that Kudelia's take as steady, peaceful change may be the one to ring out, when both Mcgillis and Orga were destroyed by their desire to get to the end point as soon as possible.
As Kanos said, Mcgillis likely could have won had be been more patient. If he wasn't in such a rush, he wouldn't have offed Karta and tried to kill Gaello. He got a temporary boost but he's now undone by turning his friend into a revenge crazed monster. These guys likely would have supported any changes he wanted to make to the system, but Mcgillis has such a hosed up worldview that he can't see the value in maintaining those relationships.
Of course, if Orga hadn't tried to become king of mars so quickly, he could have just kept up with some jobs and working his way up so that he can get out of the mercenary business.

EDIT- all in all I still think Mcgillis is a great character. He's clearly undone by the flaws that are set out in his character early on.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 27, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

KoB posted:

Instead the twist was that McGillis was actually kind of straightforward and dumb.

I HAVE THE COOL GUNDAM LISTEN TO ME

uh, no? thats just a dumb tradition from hundreds of years ago.

Operating Baal must have had some weight, since the other seven stars members immoderately didn't go "lol no" and work to take him down. They chose to remain neutral. It seems like that running Bale actually had some authority in the Gjallahorn's legal system, but Rustal just chose to ignore it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

On reflection I really like Ibo's take on sci-fi take a feudal aristocray and it's creation myths.

The founder is a king arthur figure. He gets exaclibur(Bael) and goes and unites the population to kill dragons(mobile armors). He's an heroic figure of myth, a guy who saves the world and establishes their own government . These myths obviously have standing in Gjalljhorn. After all how many dragons you killed determines your place in the seven stars pecking order. There was a real worry that Mcgillis would attempt to destroy the newly found mobile armor to move up his position. Traditions can still have huge power, despite not making sense for the modern time.

Mcgillis completely believes the founding myths. He believed that if he just grabbed Excalibur, people would bow and he would be able to run things. he saw himself as Agnika 2.0 ready to get the organisation back to it's roots. As mentioned earlier, His plan to take Bael wasn't completely dumb. He just thought that the seven stars would follow the rules. His buying the myths turns out to be his downfall, since it's a romanticised view of history. Myths ignore the long arduous process of maintaining long term power.

Rustal is the more modern politician. He uses things the lore myths when they could be convenient, but at heart, he's all about maintaining stability and has a much more "modern" take on government. He cares about PR, so he manipulates things to make it seem like Tekkadan is committing war crimes. He cares about alliances. He rightly points out that even if Agnika started the system, it's moved beyond him.. Rustal is about the long game. The problem being is that he's perpetuating a system that he largely benefits from and crushes the non nobility underfoot.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I liked the ending a lot. They should have given more hints to rustal's plan though as it's kind of abrupt. It's not the worse thing in the world.

I'm also sorta glad that a gundam series actually had the balls to have the protagonist die. There hasn't been a really bittersweet ending to a gundam show since zeta (I'm not counting OVA's here).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm not sure if I would have preferred the ending in which they all die and didn't accomplish anything. It's a tough call as it'd be a huge departure from a gundam show. It would be sobering that these kids who could have had everything lost it all because they tried to go too hard, too fast.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

they may not have all died, but tekkadan still never accomplished anything

Tekkadan and Mcgillis are directly responsible for destroying half of the seven stars, which pretty much led to the reforms.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And now Macky's up there railing her in Gundam Valhalla.

Really hosed up there's not Gundam Hel, IMO

They're probably is. Other than Haman I don't remember seeing Gihren or any of the big baddies in gundam Valhalla.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like both season of 00 but IBO does seem more well thought out and more internally consistent.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

But then you have the part where he refuses Orga's surrender to protect Gjallahorn's image as the end-all-be-all in power.

None of that is mutually contradictory though. Rustal needs to establish control so he doesn't have a bunch of more uprisings that can make the political situation worse and spiral out of control. So tekkadan had to be made an example of. After stability is established move on to reforms.

I do agree it should have been more hinted towards though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

G reco was different but that doesn't mean it was great.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Limited edition bluray's gonna come with some interesting art

https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/852824245243494400

So instead of the limited edition bluray having some cool looking shot of the barbatos, we get.... that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

tsob posted:

The artist who did them (and was involved in the show too if I recall) apparently just enjoys drawing naked girls (many do really). The other box sets art isn't as weird.

I quite like both pictures. I understand the reaction to the first's naked twin hug, but I just think both covers are gorgeous looking so I don't really care honestly.

Yeah this one is fantastic.

• Locked thread