Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I love that design, it's a shame about the colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AtheistMantis posted:

Hey, whatever happened with that design spec we saw of the Mobile Suit with the fedora and the switch blade? Was that manga only? Thank god.

Yeah, that was always from the manga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. Are they going to lose two episodes from their run? That's a little rough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Going for wild and slightly trashing makes sense for space Yakuza at least. They really should be pretty flamboyant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If something happens with the command of Turbine and theres still a few survivors from them then I can see them joining up with Tekkadan and them taking on the protection part of the shipping company. Hopefully everything blows up in Mikelobs and Ioks face though.

But we know enough about episode 41 to know that thats not the episode were the poo poo hits the fan. Apparently thats ep 41.

I think one of those numbers isn't right! (I assume you meant 42?)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All 50,000 of them are Naze's wives, clearly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think whats really deflating is that we've seen Mika at full throttle and theres really no one that can match him other than maybe mecha galio (Which is a huge wildcard because he hasn't done poo poo yet). Even if McG gets Bael, how is he going to outperform him?

Also there is another Gundam in the OP as well as Julietas rEINginlaze

Mika at full power is effectively a berserker. He relies entirely on the fact he is faster and more ruthless than his enemies to win and in fact his full-throttle attack on the MA involves basically getting torn apart and kind of getting lucky that it wasn't a double-KO. He's scary but that scariness involves the fact that he's superior to his opponents who largely are inept and useless pilots. McGillis isn't an untalented pilot and has shown himself smart enough to take advantage of enemy weaknesses.

Like yeah, Mika is scary and talented but as far as pure piloting skill goes he isn't that good a pilot. (Though obviously he isn't crappy either.) He's just someone who is both incredibly self-destructive and incredibly ruthless and that puts him over the edge because nobody can really overcome his brute force approach to things, especially with his A-V system and Gundam amplifying him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 18, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, Mika has never fought someone who had a plan specifically to defeat Mika.

Mika did in fact fight someone who was less talented than McGillis and who none the less pushed him probably harder than anyone else in the series did just by actually going in with a real plan, yes.

Mika is absolutely a talented pilot but he has explicit weaknesses and (like most Gundam characters) relies on his technological advantage to cover up for 'em.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 18, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

oh yeah, I forgotten that he almost got beat early in season 1 a couple times. When they used the wire claws on the Schwalbe Graze to limit his mobility, and when Lafter was in a suit that gave her an advantage in mobility, right?

Yeah, the first time that Galio brought out his Gundam and he and Ein basically worked their rear end off to try to counter Mika is I think the absolute closest time he came to defeat aside from Lafter and him basically double-killing each other. The one time he fought McGillis also had McGillis noticing flaws in his fighting style that he could take advantage of, though it's hard to say how many of those Mika's outgrown by this point.

I admit that whoever the final boss is I kind of am hoping they're not defined by having the strongest A-V system or whatever just because I'd genuinely like to see Mika having to deal with someone who is a tricky unfair motherfucker as opposed to just someone with more raw power like Ein kind of was. It wouldn't be terrible if it was about A-V systems considering the themes of the show, more just a personal hope.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 19, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, hey, those are literally just the leftover swords from the Grimgerde. Well, he does already know he can kill a Gundam with those, sooo...

I donno, we have good evidence that apparently those swords SUCK at killing Gundam pilots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

booksnake posted:

Is Merribit or the mechanic, also adult role models for Tekkadan, supposed to also have some sort of dark motive in what they do? He's already passed his point of no return offscreen by joining Teiwaz and using it as an umbrella for the women he wanted to protect, which has now reached its resolution. He got out-schemed by enemies he made.

Neither Merribit or the mechanic had a loving iota of the impact on everything the way Naze did, nor were given as much focus (if anything Merribit got sort of screwed by ending up being the voice of reason before the show undercut her). Not every adult is evil but "Naze Turbine, the Space Mafia Harem Jesus" is on a completely different level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

booksnake posted:

I'm just thinking you're scrutinizing him in pointless ways.

No, we're really not. Naze is presented as entirely too good and perfect for someone who can unironically be described as the leader of a space mafia harem ship. He offers Tekkadan tons of resources and support for basically no reason other than he's just that good a person. Everything they introduce about him boils down to "he's too good a person for this world" but without the similar treatment that, say, Kudelia got. Instead bad things happen to him because he's too good a person.His mere existence pretty heavily changed the show's dynamic and while we may see some interesting consequences for Tekkadan none of them really apply to Naze or his arc himself. And all of that ignores the inherent weirdness of the entire harem thing which is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Hell, the show itself even tries to pull one over and make the audience think Naze might be a more dangerous person than he is. The original OP shifted once he was introduced because prior to that he looked helluva villainous. With Naze it's like that had that twist and then never anything more to do with him besides Orga's Perfect Mentor for another 30 episodes.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 23, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Diabetes Forecast posted:

People seem to take sexual bizarreness as worse than violence and genocide, who knew? (yet why does nobody talk poo poo about McGillis being a fuckin creepo??? He's SIGNIFICANTLY worse than Naze.)

People have talked about McGillis being a creepo a bunch. The thread had a long thing about it when he did that thing with Galigali's little sister.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Having not watched much Gundam, is Iok the most incompetent at committing war crimes?

Honestly, probably. There are more incompetent people in Gundam but they also happen to be extremely good at war crimes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I saw it coming because they kinda waved every single flag in the world.

It really is sort of weird how like 2 dudes are the source of every single bad thing in the universe these days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Art imitates life :smugdon:

Touche.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

I think this show is proving that death flags mean nothing.

I'd say the opposite. Almost every blatant set of death flags is followed by either a death or what might as well be a death, with like two exceptions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure that if Iok kills Cookie and Cracker people from this thread will literally will themselves into the anime to murder him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hope that Mika launches in the Lupus Rex and discovers that Lafter's death has changed him and adopts a completely non-lethal fighting style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gyrobot posted:

PEOPLE wanted an effective villain with a named character killcount beyond 1 good guy in a single arc, someone who wasnt a one dimension caricacture who eats babies for the hell of it and Tekkadan taking genuine losses and you got it this arc with the Teiwaz Civil War.

I find both Iok and the Teiwaz dude to be cartoonish villains so YMMV. Iok is probably the closest in that he's completely incompetent in an understandable way but he's still staggeringly incompetent and bad at everything he does and does ridiculously excessively evil things almost entirely to drive the plot. On the other hand Jasley is second only to the Brewers for feeling like he could have walked in from One Piece or something. Of the two Iok is the way better character by far, mind you.

I am glad that Tekkadan appears to be being genuinely pushed and the fact this is the second season gives me hope they'll actually follow through on the consequences of this action.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 31, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Jasley, while certainly somewhat cartoonishly over the top, introduces the strain of ruthless self-interest that Teiwaz has been totally without up to this point, which made the organization feel less like the Space Mafia and more of a magical place where the main characters go to get anything they happen to need at the moment. Jasley is a huge dickhole who is eager to gently caress everyone over he needs to for self-advancement, and he goes about in underhanded, dirty, and merciless ways like you'd think a powerful criminal boss would. He honestly behaves like I had originally expected McMurdo to behave before it became apparent that McMurdo was just going to be The Nice Grandpa.

That is sort of my problem with Jasley though.He's an example of the badness of Teiwaz but because of who he is it kind of boils down to making a 'bad' member of the space mafia to take their plot sins upon himself. It's sort of the same with Iok in that so much of the plot doesn't boil down to Gjallerhorn but to Iok and I feel that weakens things a bit with the themes the show is going for. I don't actually have any problems with what he did this episode (well, I mean, he did an awful terrible thing and is a poo poo but you know what I mean.) It's more than they tend to dull the edges off a lot of characters and rely on the "bad ones" to do a bit too much lifting. That's just my feeling though.

As I said I think this applies more to Teiwaz than Gjallerhorn which have the first season to back it up and because Iok is kind of better written in his extreme actions. In general I just don't think Teiwaz has been well-handled but maybe the next few episodes will change my mind on the payoff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 1, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

you know i realized, i cannot actually entirely eliminate the possibility that Vidar is just Carta with a voice modulator

Technically there is nothing stopping Vidar from being any previously dead character + cyborg and a fake voice but it would be kind of a limp-wristed twist just to have a twist because none of them would actually change anything about the character.

Unless it's Biscuit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

This is probably really obscure, but have they ever done a "mysterious character" with the same VA as another person and not have it be that person? Clone Kyoji also counts for this.

Full Frontal, though that's naturally a plot point because "is he or isn't he Char?" is an ongoing thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

That picture does raise a good point. I would love to see what would happen to a person without a mech to get hit by Mika's giant club or whatever it is called.

I assume, to quote the X-Men movie, the same thing that happens to anything else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IBO is not a setting that does a very good job of providing challenges, to the point it's genuinely hard to say what Tekkadan couldn't beat especially because Tekkadan keeps getting increasing amounts of plot candy along the way. You can assume large numbers but it's hard to say how large numbers you'd need to press Tekkadan hard, let alone actually beat them, because 90% of the pilots in the universe are utter incompetents or press-ganged child soldiers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Latest episode is out, and uh.

:stonklol:

Well, uh, that explains a lot of McGillis' hatred.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's interesting that

McGillis is a child who never grew up. It reframes a lot of his behavior too. He's acting on childish beliefs, for childish reasons, with a deep and wholehearted belief in symbols and icons mixed with a distorted philosophy of power being all-important. It really reframes his view of Mika too in a disturbing way. We know why McGills has a Mikaboner now and that is because Mika embodies what he believes. Brute force and power. I suspect he probably thinks Mika feels the same way he does too. If all of Kudelia's time with Mika has any payoff it's going to be there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

The problem isn't one bad dude, Gjallarhorn is corrupt and horrible from top to bottom.

Yeah, but it's clear that "from top to bottom" includes McGillis. He's unfortunately just moving it in another genuinely bad direction where people like Mika are the goal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Also :lol: that McGillis is basically an alt-righter.

He just wants to Make Gjallerhorn Great Again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zwingley posted:

I mean, there's something happening in the episode preview.

:ohdear:

I'm guessing that is her father's blood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think an important thing to point out about Gaelio:

He legitimately believed in the reformation of Gjallerhorn and when McGillis spoke to him about it Gaelio was entirely onboard. While he is working with Gjallerhorn we're not given any indication that he's stopped believed that and if anything his words to Mika seem to imply that he really has changed. It's very possible that Gaelio, especially if he 'put down' a rebellion, would end up becoming the kind of guy who could legitimately reform Gjallerhorn and not just make it into whatever hosed-up thing McGillis has it mind. We're never given any indication that Gaelio is happy with the status quo and his own bigotry and prejudice has apparently been slowly beaten out of him.

That doesn't mean he necessarily would become that guy but it's entirely possible that in his actions McGillis ended up creating a real version of the mask he wore.

On an unrelated note: All the stuff about Bael having the "soul" inside of it make me wonder if they're being literal. We know Mika is gradually feeling like Barbatos is his body, is it possible an actual endgame would be Mika literally becoming Barbatos?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fat and Useless posted:

Once Gali-Gali kills everyone he's gonna fix things using his status as a hero. Probably the only good outcome left on the table.

Chocolate man and the kids aren't making it out in one piece. Kudelia can only watch and maybe get Punished Gali to take care of Mars.

Or hell just give Tekkadan Mars(and maybe Iok) Gali/Rustal and then McGillis is all alone.

I think "Gaelio leads a genuine reform of Gjallerhorn" is one of the few potentially positive outcomes we can see for the setting. He and Kudelia are about the only two characters I can really see making a significant change for the better based off character arcs, position and setting. There might be a happier ending for individual characters but as far as the setting goes I think it basically amounts to them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argas posted:

Well, unless Gaelio takes the reins from Rustal in a way that looks like a legitimate seizure of power, I don't think reform is in the agenda.

I don't think that's impossible the way things are going. He just pulled a "reveal himself publicly and cut of McGillis" thing.

That said it's a long shot, but short of the complete destruction of Gjallerhorn (which probably isn't a good outcome for the setting considering who is lying in the wings) he's the closest I can think of to actually leading Gjallerhorn towards true reformation and not whatever bullshit McGillis has in mind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's very possible that if Gundams devouring their pilots is a thing it only happened to Agnika. Bael was locked away specifically while the other Gundams were either lost or being kept as keepsakes instead. Mika could very well but the first person crazy enough to keep driving themselves to the breaking point piloting a Gundam since then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IBO is genuinely (it seems) setting up a war between two sides where neither side is a very good choice.

The current Gjallerhorn represents stagnation and the corruption of the status quo but their opponents are hosed up child soldiers who seem to have little idea about what to do beyond becoming the strongest top of the heap. Obviously Tekkadan is sympathetic but it's increasingly clear they're not really prepared for anything and "King of Mars" sounds increasingly like a fantasy Orga is clinging to, not an actual possible goal. Of the two McGillis winning is probably the worst outcome for the world in general but it's not a great situation all around. We can pretty comfortably say that McGillis' 'reformation' of Gjallerhorn isn't going to be a good thing but the idea of Gjallerhorn reformation is one which the show seems to be genuinely holding up as a possible positive outcome.

That honestly doesn't leave a lot of people who can create a remotely positive change for the setting. Kudelia can (and will almost certainly be part of any positive change) but she can't do it alone. Gaelio isn't a morally perfect person but as it stands he is Gjallerhorn's only real chance for positive reformation based off his behavior, character arc and plot role. If not him then Gjallerhorn is basically completely hosed and it seems clear that for how godawful they are the setting isn't going to get better in the wake of a massive power vacuum.

Of course it's entirely possible the show is just leading to a massive tragedy ending where everything is hosed and nothing good happens to anyone but that seems a bit grim even for IBO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Possibly Gaelio himself won't be the one to lead a reformed Gjallerhorn, perhaps his will will be passed to Julietta or something. The subordinate he might save from Ein's fate, or drive to it again, and is likewise not an Earthling of breeding but a Spacenoid commoner, so this can illustrate Gaelio's worldview, as his apology to Mica did a bit. Her loyalty could be divided between Vidar/Gaelio and Rustal depending on what Rustal's game is ( and I might need to rewatch to get a better handle on it)

Gaelio dying and becoming a martyr does also seem pretty possible, though Julietta would certainly need more screen time with him for that to really work. (Not impossible.)

Funniest outcome: Iok turns out to get the most massive redemption arc of all time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IBO is probably gonna be a tough fit for SRW. It has a lot of the writing quirks that tend to be hard to work in well. Mika crippling himself to kill a mobile armor is the sort of plot beat that rarely works well in SRW unfortunately.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

You beat the mobile armor, its HP refills, Mika kills it in a cutscene fight, and then you can't use him for two or three stages. That even fits the show since multiple people fight the mobile armor it is just Mika who finally takes it down.

Oh, execution is easy, it just runs into the usual Zeoyrmer/Eva-01 problem of "why are we letting them do this again?" Which isn't plot-crippling by any means but usually means it needs their A-game writing to work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

IBO is dark, but you're seriously asking a franchise that had Ideon and fafnir if they can handle dark?

In both cases those worked by doing fairly heavy subversions of the storyline, which is what I mean by their A-game writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I think it would be hilarious if IBO debuts in the same SRW as G-Reco.

Mask: My people were EATEN!
Mika: Huh. Did they taste good?

• Locked thread