Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think that's precisely what they were going for, simply because by all indications, Agnika Kaeru really was all that and a bag of chips. He was a classic shonen hero - brave, charismatic, always put his friends first, the first of the Gundam pilots and the last to die. He was the boy who saved humanity with nothing but a couple of dinky little swords.

His tragedy was twofold. First, that he did indeed die at the end, without shaping what came after his victory (in other words, even the most perfect human cannot create a world if they follow his path, only create the conditions for one), and second, that Gjallarhorn's world has decayed to the point where the haves are too complacent to see any value in what he did, and the have-nots are too brutalised to see him as a symbol of anything other than strength through violence. They don't remember or care for where that strength came from.

The tragedy of IBO is not so much that someone tried to be Agnika Kaeru as that the world is too broken for someone like him to exist any more. Humanity is a luxury that no-one desperate enough to want his throne can afford.

I don't think there's any actual reason to believe that Agnika Kaeru is the guy we're told he was. Gundams rely on A-V systems and the Gundams themselves from what we can see were largely monsters. Obviously we might get an answer but it seems unlikely that McGillis, whose views on Agnika Kaeru were influenced by a book that is strongly implied to be pretty fanciful, has an accurate view of the idea. Bael might be Traditional Gundam Protagonist Unit but remember that while they're better off than Mika even traditional Gundam protagonists are not healthy and together individuals who have massive successes for the most part. IBO is a lot about the views of people versus the reality. (Even in ways I don't necessarily work, like the bait-and-switch with Naze.) and it ends up with Mika being turned into the horrifying demonic beast slain by a knight. (Actually a hosed up desperate kid murdered by railguns.)

If we ever get an actual prequel manga or OAV or something, I wouldn't be shocked if Agnika Kaeru IS a lot like Mika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread