Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
different masks for different days. one masks for social occasions, another mask for piloting a robot, another mask for business meetings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also kudelia has grown incredibly fine over the timeskip and looks great in a in a power suit/dress/johdpur thingie

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, I liked how when his subordinate asked if the guy on Mars McGillis was talking about was an old friend, McGillis clenched his hands, then pointedly stated that he doesn't have any friends.

i assumed they were talking about mika. you want to keep your brainwashed peer that you betrayed on a short leash

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
my criticism of this episode is that way too many scenes occurred, without giving us a single moment to breathe. lots of quick cuts everywhere. tekkadan has gotten way too big for their and the audience's britches. this bodes badly for the rest of the season if they can't get it under control

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
orga this is a terrible loving idea. you dont shake hands of a deal before you even know what they're offering. i think the theme of s2 differs from s1 in that while they keep making insane gambles, this time they arent the underdogs, but actually have something to lose

also mask#2 totally has a reason to hard after tekkadan now that they've tied themselves to fareed

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
so what im seeing is that mcgillis plans to instigate a war, then intervene to demonstrate to the world why they need a gjallarhorn (so we dont get calamity war 2)

gaelio's mask reminds me zero's mask, so i now suspect that his role at the end of the story is to be a symbol of conflict resolution and peace (mcgillis is gonna die)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ok there have been so many new characters and political situations unfolding all at once that im losing track

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i think part of mika's motor function have been forcibly ripped out of his spine and been uploaded to god knows where in barbatos

so you're gonna have to find those functions inside barbatos and put mika back together, or duplicate them. and we all know you cant put humpty back together again

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Psycho Landlord posted:

I halfway expected Mika to go mildly apeshit on McGillis, given that he was the one that killed Aston, even if in self-defense. Their conversation near the end seems to imply he either gets it, didn't see it happen and no one told him, or, more distressingly, he doesn't care.

Remember, Aston and his crew were actively killing Tekkadan before they were defeated and recruited. Same with the Turbines. Loyalties shift. Anyone in the merc game knows this.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thats was a really good non combat episode. Like so many things are coming together, it didn't feel rushed and so much ground is covered for what could happen in the future.

yeah, the first few episodes of s2 were way too crammed together, this episode has been a full emotional culmination of this season's initial arc. takaki has learnt a lesson that orga is unwilling to face: when to count your earnings, and not constantly bet all in

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Or maybe IFFs are cryptographically impossible to spoof, and the infrastructure to build friendly IFF keys were wiped out by other faction's MAs before Gjallarhorn rose to power. I think the existence of killbots doesn't necessarily change the themes of this show from the sins of man to the sins of AI.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just assumed that tech had plateaued, AI-driven research has been banned, no new breakthroughs in materials or infotech. And there has been no incentive to brute force crack MA IFFs. I mean, the Calamity war is over, the MAs are all dead.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
well most street kids are just thrown into mobile workers or grunt suits

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
it's worth noting that a big part of tekkadan's success was because cgs was so lazy they used kids across many levels of their org such that they staffed an entire division with them. so when the chips came down, the mutineers could handle the support and mid management work. brewers used human debris only for scut work and piloting grunt suits, so they could never form their own support staff. if gjallarhorn went down that way, they probably supplanted and controlled multiple levels of their parent org

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
in a way, the emotional arc of this season is a retread of the first season's, but it's hammered in so hard that it becomes remarkably effective.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Iok is a dark mirror before Orga. While Orga is infinitely more charismatic and competent, they are both floundering in the world, without any grounding for their decisions.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't think a mobile worker would substitute, it's more like Mika and Barbatos have merged so much that bits of Mika's nervous system have been uploaded into Barbatos' internal network.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol if julietta fucks up her kill confirmation and a second masked gentleman turns up working for tekkadan

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Only when Iok loses the favor of Rustal. I doubt rustal will be happy with what the Iok faction of his Arianrhod fleet is up to, throwing around proscribed weapons like that.

And fortunately, from the next ep preview,Tekkadan remains part of Teiwaz. In spite of McMurdo's earlier bluster, he remains aware that Tekkadan are an extremely powerful asset, one that he remains fond of. McMurdo may have threatened to destroy Tekkadan if they step out of line, but Iok has behaved so egregiously that Gjallarhorn are unlikely to be able to move on to the rest of Tekkadan and Teiwaz, especially if the McGillis faction of Gjallarhorn starts running interference.

McMurdo has some interesting characterization, he really stands in contrast to Nobliss. Both are old rich powerful men constantly looking to increase their power. But Nobliss thinks only of himself, whereas McMurdo enjoys grooming others, for one day they shall ascend to the throne and he shall leave behind a legacy (and its nicely symbolized with his bonsai obsession). And in that McMurdo sees a kindred spirit in Naze, particularly with their mutual interest in Tekkadan.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Rustal would perfectly fine with deploying illegal superweapons at the right time, but the time is not right, especially a minor loving skirmish.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
oh gently caress

they didnt kill that many people the first two cours

they're gonna kill loving everybody

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You mean Takaki right? He's scheduled to do one of the next episode previews and given the 100% mortality rate they've had the last few weeks not even him is safe.

there's no way that the poo poo that goes down upon mcgillis' instigation doesnt result in gjallarhorn dragging takaki from his new workplace at gunpoint in retaliation for tekkadan

Argas posted:

Honestly, I'd enjoy it more at this point if McGillis doesn't betray Tekkadan.

i have a feeling that mcgillis does genuinely admire and look up to mikazuki, his platonic ideal of the ultimate warrior. so the betrayal will not be in regards to being top dog of mars, but a betrayal of their human goals and desire to live a safe comfortable life

mcgillis would love to see tekkadan fight forever

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol that teiwaz's promise to not bring up the illegal railguns was completely worthless

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
okay if all you need is the brain of a guy who outright uploaded himself into his mecha, piggybacking on top of a skilled pilot contributing combat info, then really there's no need for a direct interface between pilot and machine

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
gaelio did slaughter a bunch of revolting workers. i would not trust his judgement

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know, all throughout this series, there have been a multitude of contradictions and inconsistencies. Like Tekkadan's insane loyalty to Orga, Orga's fidelity to McGillis, and McGillis' absurd belief that he could short cut straight into a reformation of Gjallarhorn. This episode finally reconciled all these contradictions, simply by acknowledging their existence.

Though we may have been placing too much faith in McGillis, he did after all almost get merked by Tekkadan in episode 7 this season.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Orga forgets that the crown lies heavy on the King, should that eventuality come to pass, he will need to spend more lives to defend his throne.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Orga could play it smart and use Edmonton to grab a bunch of really nice contracts and use that to solidify his and Naze's position within Teiwaz but he decided to go straight to the top and try and gently caress the princess.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Shinjobi posted:

A tale of two seasons.

End of season 1, McGillis felt like a true Char successor.

End of season 2 (so far), he's been an absolute joke.

Reminder that McGillis walked into the middle of a battlefield in s2 and almost got merked by Tekkadan.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
nobliss gordon is a walking example of why the lives of tekkadan were hosed up in the first place, and i hope mika gets to pulp him with his mace

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They really went all out in the animation during Gaelio's and McGillis' big Lelouch/Suzaku-esque reunion

One last episode to wrap things up, but in general, this series contains alot of the germs of really good stories, but didn't follow them up and instead focused on the rise-and-fall of Orga and McGillis. I really wanted to see the economic blocs rebelling against Gjallarhorn, or the original crusade by Agnika against the MAs, but instead it became about two guys (who could really use more development) taking insane gambles against the sheer might of the Arianrhod fleet. Most Gundam shows are about overturning the status quo, but in this one, the situation is even worse for the Tekkadan kids than before.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i think the show stuck the landing, squaring the circle of needing tekkadan to die, with a happy ending. rustal was always a complex character, dirty, underhanded, yet willing to buck the 7 stars system and replace it from within. the post-calamity war system was never sustainable, not with that concentration of power and the institutionalized violence against the most vulnerable members of society

also what the hell did the kujan family do to the altlands? were they the ones that sicced pirates on them?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Microcline posted:

The show's moral seems thoroughly un-Gundam. A big stupid clusterfuck war with no political coordination manages through nebulous contrivance to fix every problem in the world. All of the survivors (including the shady mafia don) turn out to be good guys except for the ruthless businessman, who gets conveniently assassinated.

There are the elements of a good 12 or 24 episode show but there's so much filler and plots that don't go anywhere that it ends up a thoroughly mediocre 50-episode show.

There is a story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit.

"Such bad luck," they said sympathetically.

"We'll see," the farmer replied.

The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses.

"How wonderful," the neighbors exclaimed.

"We'll see," replied the old man.

The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune.

"We'll see," answered the farmer.

The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son's leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out.

"We'll see" said the farmer.

A McGillis/Tekkadan victory carried within it the seeds of its own destruction. A peaceful transition of power from Rustal Elion to Kudelia Bernstein?

We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Orbital striking self-replicating deathbots from orbit is the only correct thing to do.

• Locked thread